ImageImageImage

Hal’s Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#661 » by winsomme2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:40 am

I just put it together watching Utah/CLips last night.

Josh Christopher has Donovan Mitchell potential. Strong, athletic, 3 level scoring, good handle, solid defender.

Now looking at his tape through that lens I'm realizing he's going to be a beast in the NBA. Definitely moved to the top of my list.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#662 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:15 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Highlights from Garuba's performance today. 3 three-pointers, including one of them with 2:30 mins left in the 4th quarter of a 1 possession game and then after that an and-1 put-back in the clutch.

16 points and 14 rebounds in the playoffs, not bad for a 19-year old playing professionally.

Another guy who could be a really nice stretch 4 / stretch 5..

Over his last 8 games, Garuba is 10/22 from 3 (45.4%)

Read on Twitter
[/quote]

I feel like Garuba is going to go top 10, that is why I havent talked alot about him. But if he is there at 19 you take him
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,147

Post#663 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:42 pm

playa-hater wrote:

I prioritize 2 things for my top choices. Switch-ability on defense and shooting. If Garuba continues to show good on shooting, I will be all in. Defense is aready there. Keep updating videos.

*edit.. Garuba's shot seems very stiff. Ala Giannis. 19 = there is time to improve.. But he needs to do it sooner rather than later. Tatum will be doubled a lot. More than ever. I want players to make teams pay for that.

eh, if the form is good that's a plus. Most important IMO is whether the shot goes in.

As long as the guy isn't wicked slow in terms of setting himself, going up with the shot and releasing it, and as long as he doesn't bring the ball down really low like down by his waste to shoot (like Wagner) and his release point is high enough, the shot is fine.

Garuba seems like he is able to get the shot off pretty quick most of the time, and the release point is pretty high.

Side note - if you like Ziaire, check out JT Thor. I feel like they are similar, except Thor is 2 inches taller at 6'10", can block shots and is more of an inside presence while also being really quick on his feet and having the handle and shooting ability of a guard. He's an intriguing player. I think both Ziaire and Thor are 1st round talents, just not sure I'd take either as high as 16..I think I would rank Thor slightly above Ziaire at this point..

1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#664 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:55 pm

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

I prioritize 2 things for my top choices. Switch-ability on defense and shooting. If Garuba continues to show good on shooting, I will be all in. Defense is aready there. Keep updating videos.

*edit.. Garuba's shot seems very stiff. Ala Giannis. 19 = there is time to improve.. But he needs to do it sooner rather than later. Tatum will be doubled a lot. More than ever. I want players to make teams pay for that.

eh, if the form is good that's a plus. Most important IMO is whether the shot goes in.

As long as the guy isn't wicked slow in terms of setting himself, going up with the shot and releasing it, and as long as he doesn't bring the ball down really low like down by his waste to shoot (like Wagner) and his release point is high enough, the shot is fine.

Garuba seems like he is able to get the shot off pretty quick most of the time, and the release point is pretty high.

Side note - if you like Ziaire, check out JT Thor. I feel like they are similar, except Thor is 2 inches taller at 6'10", can block shots and is more of an inside presence while also being really quick on his feet and having the handle and shooting ability of a guard. He's an intriguing player. I think both Ziaire and Thor are 1st round talents, just not sure I'd take either as high as 16..I think I would rank Thor slightly above Ziaire at this point..

Garuba can take and make a 3 pointer, that alone is an improvement offensively over Timelord.
aporel18
Senior
And1: 282

Post#665 » by aporel18 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:55 pm

I still hope Sengun and Giddey and some other kids rise up and the Celtics can get Kai Jones or Garuba. On a side note, Garuba was playing last night on an injured leg, but the kid is a winner and was all effort. He'd look great on Celtic green.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#666 » by Half-Full » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:15 pm

Players that I am high on: Garuba, Jalen Johnson, Sengun, Ayo Dosunmu (in order of my preference). All may be gone by the time we draft, but would be pleased if we end up with one of them. I also like Day'Ron Sharpe, who has a good motor, good offensive rebounder, decent passer. His biggest downside is that his jump shot is poor, as is his FT shooting. I do think that the positives he brings outweigh his negatives. We could use some help at the 5 spot...

;t=8s

Interesting interview with Ayo Dosunmu:

https://nbadraftroom.com/prospect-corner-1on1-with-ayo-dosunmu/
Hal14
RealGM

Post#667 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:08 pm

Half-Full wrote:Players that I am high on: Garuba, Jalen Johnson, Sengun, Ayo Dosunmu (in order of my preference). All may be gone by the time we draft, but would be pleased if we end up with one of them. I also like Day'Ron Sharpe, who has a good motor, good offensive rebounder, decent passer. His biggest downside is that his jump shot is poor, as is his FT shooting. I do think that the positives he brings outweigh his negatives. We could use some help at the 5 spot...

;t=8s

I'll check our Sharpe.

If you want us to get a center, I would check out some Charles Bassey and Neemias Queta videos. I think you'll like what you see. I really like both of them. Queta is like Time Lord but with good post moves and 4 inches taller and less of an injury risk. Bassey is a lot like Evan Mobley, who's projected as a top 3 pick..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#668 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:14 pm

aporel18 wrote:I still hope Sengun and Giddey and some other kids rise up and the Celtics can get Kai Jones or Garuba. On a side note, Garuba was playing last night on an injured leg, but the kid is a winner and was all effort. He'd look great on Celtic green.

Agreed. I would be happy if we got Garuba.

He's as good a shooter as Ojeleye and Grant Williams, except Garuba is literally like 10x better than both of them at everything else, plus way faster, way more athletic, equally strong, 2 inches taller and only 19 years old so still lots of room to develop and get better.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#669 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:58 pm

I think Brad should invite JT Thor, Garuba, Roko, Kai Jones, Jalen Johnson, Wagner and Isaiah Todd. Invite the 7 of them in for a workout. See who is better than who and how hard each of them competes..
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,505

Post#670 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:29 pm

winsomme2 wrote:I just put it together watching Utah/CLips last night.

Josh Christopher has Donovan Mitchell potential
. Strong, athletic, 3 level scoring, good handle, solid defender.

Now looking at his tape through that lens I'm realizing he's going to be a beast in the NBA. Definitely moved to the top of my list.

Not saying you are right or wrong, but that is a big statement. and yet every year some future Allstar goes later than top 10.. would be nice that Boston could just draft a "3rd star" instead of trading away all future assets to get one.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,081

Post#671 » by Shak_Celts » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:33 pm

playa-hater wrote:

Not saying you are right or wrong, but that is a big statement. and yet every year some future Allstar goes later than top 10.. would be nice that Boston could just draft a "3rd star" instead of trading away all future assets to get one.

We gotta hit on a late star at some point. If it aint Nee or Pritch (or the others), maybe this is the year! :nod:
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#672 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:35 pm

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Another high ceiling prospect who needs another year of full physical training. I'm wondered out loud already, Is Stevens under more pressure to grab an immediate contributor or can he take a flyer on a long term talent. Rhetorical question obviously.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#673 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:38 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Garuba can take and make a 3 pointer, that alone is an improvement offensively over Timelord.

I want Timelord cutting to the Rim as a vertical spacer. Don't want him ever floating out on the 3 point line. Garuba is not a center except for some small ball. Apples to Oranges IMO.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#674 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:39 pm

Half-Full wrote:Players that I am high on: Garuba, Jalen Johnson, Sengun, Ayo Dosunmu (in order of my preference). All may be gone by the time we draft, but would be pleased if we end up with one of them. I also like Day'Ron Sharpe, who has a good motor, good offensive rebounder, decent passer. His biggest downside is that his jump shot is poor, as is his FT shooting. I do think that the positives he brings outweigh his negatives. We could use some help at the 5 spot...

;t=8s

I see him slipping into RD 2..
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#675 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:43 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

We gotta hit on a late star at some point. If it aint Nee or Pritch (or the others), maybe this is the year! :nod:

Ainge passed up good talent last year (30th pick) that could have helped us. I actually feel this years 2nd rd is deeper than last. At minimum get a player who has a high ceiling that might take a while vs a little no ceiling type of player.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#676 » by playa-hater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:50 pm

Josh Christopher has Donovan Mitchell potential. Strong, athletic, 3 level scoring, good handle, solid defender.

looked again at some videos . Do see a Bradley Beal "type" of game. Not as explosive as Mitchell But very smooth on all 3 levels (Beal lite)

But to draft him Boston better have a plan to trade Smart, Nesmith, Romeo and not resign Fournier )for a bigger player) Other wise he may not even get the chance to play.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,081

Post#677 » by Shak_Celts » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:57 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Ainge passed up good talent last year (30th pick) that could have helped us. I actually feel this years 2nd rd is deeper than last. At minimum get a player who has a high ceiling that might take a while vs a little no ceiling type of player.

Yeah but a lot of teams did. We should have kept Bane and maybe sent out Edwards or Semi but it is what it is, sometimes u hit and sometimes you don't.

If I'm going to look at videos, give me your top guy, someone you'd guarantee is going to be top-notch but not a top 10 pick. Give me your Jokic-lite (not position or playstyle dependent and definitely won't be a league MVP hehe). This draft.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#678 » by Half-Full » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:48 pm

Hal14 wrote:

;t=8s

I'll check our Sharpe.

If you want us to get a center, I would check out some Charles Bassey and Neemias Queta videos. I think you'll like what you see. I really like both of them. Queta is like Time Lord but with good post moves and 4 inches taller and less of an injury risk. Bassey is a lot like Evan Mobley, who's projected as a top 3 pick..

I have checked out Bassey and Queta. I like them both. After re-watching Bassey's Spinella video, I guess I would lean to him over Sharpe. They are comparable in many respects, but Bassey shoots free throws at a 77% clip. I will re-watch Queta's video. Sharpe, Bassey, and Queta, are big centers that could go head to head with Embiid and Joker. All look intriguing, and all should be available at pick #16. Which of the three would you go for, presuming your preferred players are gone by then?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#679 » by Hal14 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:07 am

Half-Full wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

;t=8s

I'll check our Sharpe.

I have checked out Bassey and Queta. I like them both. After re-watching Bassey's Spinella video, I guess I would lean to him over Sharpe. They are comparable in many respects, but Bassey shoots free throws at a 77% clip. I will re-watch Queta's video. Sharpe, Bassey, and Queta, are big centers that could go head to head with Embiid and Joker. All look intriguing, and all should be available at pick #16. Which of the three would you go for, presuming your preferred players are gone by then?

Good question. I haven't seen enough of Sharpe. Queta vs Bassey is close - I like them both, and think both of them are super underrated. Seems like both are projected as early-mid 2nd round picks which is crazy to me - IMO there just as good (if not better) than a few of the guys projected to go in the top 20.

I would probably go Bassey slighty over Queta because a) he's a year younger so more of a window to keep developing and b) much better floor spacer with outside shot

With that being said, I'm in the "let's give Time Lord 1 more year (with a longer offseason this time) to prove he can stay healthy and prove he can be starting center in this league" camp so personally, I'd rather us go for more of a 4 (like Jalen Johnson, Kai Jones, Garuba, Roko, Robinson-Earl, Wagner, Todd, Thor) over a 5. Out of those guys, Wagner is more of a 3 than a 4 (and probably will be off the board in the first 15 picks), and Thor, Robinson-Earl, Roko and Todd, I like them but 16 might be a reach for them so it really comes down to Jalen Johnson, Garuba and Kai Jones - really like those 3 guys the most at this point.

We still have a few weeks till draft time. If I'm stevens i'm having rob looked at by some doctors and specialists. and if I'm not feeling good about the chances of rob being able to stay healthy and be a starting center in this league, then yeah I would probably draft either Sengun, Queta or Bassey. All 3 of them do look really good...or you take Onu in the 2nd round..get yourself a potential Center of the future without burning your 1st round pick on it
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,946

Post#680 » by Fierce1 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:22 am

Can't go wrong with a guy named Thor.

The Celtics will be the Avengers!
:lol:

Return to Boston Celtics