Image ImageImage Image

Article: Bulls reportedly consider trading for EL MVP Micic

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

ThreeMileAllan
Veteran
And1: 766

Re: Article: Bulls reportedly consider trading for EL MVP Micic 

Post#61 » by ThreeMileAllan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:21 am

Axl Rose wrote:We are very limited in how we can add talent so being smart and finding cheap ways to do that is needed. If the asking price is a 2nd rounder and maybe some cash considerations then this is a no brainer.
I would hope it's a future 2nd rounder and not this year's. I am still hoping for some early 2nd round talent to come through for hs

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
On the Crawford/Rose bandwagon in 2002... 2009, 2011, 2012, 2017... :laugh: Finally in 2018! 16 year wait!
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,894

Post#62 » by RSP83 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:30 am

The bar is pretty low right now in regards to our PG situation. So if he's cheap then why not? If all it takes to bring him here is like a Denzel or Troy Brown level maybe why not. Although I'm still pretty intrigued with Brown's potential. I don't even mind giving up Sato to OKC for this guy + another piece.

If this guy can be an upgrade from Sato or Denzel then AK should do it. for me to get excited Micic at least needs to be a guy who can immediately jump ahead in the rotation over guys like Sato, Temple, and Denzel. Otherwise he's just going to be a meh addition.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,681

Post#63 » by madvillian » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:33 pm

He looks like JAG but with the Coby news why not. Worst case is he's JAG and you lose what, like a 2nd round pick or a roster spot? Not like the roster spot would be better utilized anyways.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,624

Post#64 » by dougthonus » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:33 pm

madvillian wrote:He looks like JAG but with the Coby news why not. Worst case is he's JAG and you lose what, like a 2nd round pick or a roster spot? Not like the roster spot would be better utilized anyways.

If you get 'Just-a-guy' caliber player for a 2nd rounder, that's probably good value anyway. Most 2nd rounders don't make it that far. The questions are more around whether you can get him to come and if he's an NBA caliber guy if he does and even qualifies as just a guy.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#65 » by Almost Retired » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:50 pm

I think Micic has a skill level way beyond just a guy. His BBIQ is above average, as are his passing skills. I think his game would elevate playing with All Stars like Zach and Vooch. The kid can drive. The kid can shoot. He puts out effort on the defensive side. He's got good size. He's got a lot of experience....six years EuroLeague. Flirts with 40% on 3s, has averaged 6-7 assists a game consistently, shoots FTs at over 85%, his last 4 years his Assist to turnover ratio is about 2:1.....He can start for us on Day 1....maybe he's not a long term answer, or NBA All Star material. But with Coby's injury he is our best option if money is factored in. He'll probably cost us 1/3 of what Ball's contract would be. That's a lot of extra salary cap to spread around to nab or retain other players. At 27 Micic is in his playing prime. And he'll come over here with something to prove, so.... highly motivated. In my opinion getting Micic would be the best move AK could make under the present circumstances.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#66 » by dougthonus » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:45 pm

Almost Retired wrote:I think Micic has a skill level way beyond just a guy. His BBIQ is above average, as are his passing skills. I think his game would elevate playing with All Stars like Zach and Vooch. The kid can drive. The kid can shoot. He puts out effort on the defensive side. He's got good size. He's got a lot of experience....six years EuroLeague. Flirts with 40% on 3s, has averaged 6-7 assists a game consistently, shoots FTs at over 85%, his last 4 years his Assist to turnover ratio is about 2:1.....He can start for us on Day 1....maybe he's not a long term answer, or NBA All Star material. But with Coby's injury he is our best option if money is factored in. He'll probably cost us 1/3 of what Ball's contract would be. That's a lot of extra salary cap to spread around to nab or retain other players. At 27 Micic is in his playing prime. And he'll come over here with something to prove, so.... highly motivated. In my opinion getting Micic would be the best move AK could make under the present circumstances.

If he is simply a Sato-like impact and can be had for say the full MLE, you'd be pretty amped. Not sure if any of that is true of course, but if it was true, that'd be a great deal.

Based on a report I saw his Euroleague team is willing to offer 2.5M Euro per year for him, which is probably about 4.5M US after you factor in exchange rate and taxes (Euro contracts are typically after tax), so based on that, something like 4/40 seems like a lock to bring him if he is motivated significantly by money and 4/32 might be plenty. Either way, it would almost certainly mean we have to use our MLE. We may also do a 3 year deal instead of 4 to retain RFA rights after his deal ends.
@doug_thonus on twitter
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#67 » by CobyWhite0 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:14 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:I think Micic has a skill level way beyond just a guy. His BBIQ is above average, as are his passing skills. I think his game would elevate playing with All Stars like Zach and Vooch. The kid can drive. The kid can shoot. He puts out effort on the defensive side. He's got good size. He's got a lot of experience....six years EuroLeague. Flirts with 40% on 3s, has averaged 6-7 assists a game consistently, shoots FTs at over 85%, his last 4 years his Assist to turnover ratio is about 2:1.....He can start for us on Day 1....maybe he's not a long term answer, or NBA All Star material. But with Coby's injury he is our best option if money is factored in. He'll probably cost us 1/3 of what Ball's contract would be. That's a lot of extra salary cap to spread around to nab or retain other players. At 27 Micic is in his playing prime. And he'll come over here with something to prove, so.... highly motivated. In my opinion getting Micic would be the best move AK could make under the present circumstances.

If he is simply a Sato-like impact and can be had for say the full MLE, you'd be pretty amped. Not sure if any of that is true of course, but if it was true, that'd be a great deal.

Based on a report I saw his Euroleague team is willing to offer 2.5M Euro per year for him, which is probably about 4.5M US after you factor in exchange rate and taxes (Euro contracts are typically after tax), so based on that, something like 4/40 seems like a lock to bring him if he is motivated significantly by money and 4/32 might be plenty. Either way, it would almost certainly mean we have to use our MLE. We may also do a 3 year deal instead of 4 to retain RFA rights after his deal ends.

I agree that $4.5 mil is pretty close to the equivalent of 2.5 mil Euro, but I'm a little more optimistic in that I think a 3yr deal starting at $6 million would do it - that's 33% more than he'd get in Europe. 3/20 would do it IMO.

And this seems like a perfect situation for him:

AK loves Serbian players (per Jokic)
Chicago has a large Serbian population
With Coby out to start the season, he'd most likely get ample minutes for day 1
It's likely (IMO) that he'd have a fellow Serb as a rookie teammate
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,953

Post#68 » by Chi town » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:25 pm

dougthonus wrote:

I think Micic is rich man’s version of Sato. Def a help but not as good as Lowry. His impact would be minimal and wouldn’t move the needle. Per dollar he may be better than Lonzo though.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#69 » by dougthonus » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:46 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:I agree that $4.5 mil is pretty close to the equivalent of 2.5 mil Euro, but I'm a little more optimistic in that I think a 3yr deal starting at $6 million would do it - that's 33% more than he'd get in Europe. 3/20 would do it IMO.

No idea what it would take him to move. Each player is different there. If he's really happy with his situation, then 2.5M Euro is generational wealth. That said if he could make it as an NBA player, the money obviously has potential to be 10 fold that on his second deal here.

This does seem like a good situation for him, and if we like him then I think we could get him to come and probably trade for him reasonably cheaply. The question will be whether he's a good player of us.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#70 » by dougthonus » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:47 pm

Chi town wrote:I think Micic is rich man’s version of Sato. Def a help but not as good as Lowry. His impact would be minimal and wouldn’t move the needle. Per dollar he may be better than Lonzo though.

If the Thunder or other teams that held his rights viewed him as a rich man's Sato, then it is surprising he isn't here already, though maybe he had a nasty buyout until this year. He's a FA this season.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,953

Post#71 » by Chi town » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:03 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Chi town wrote:I think Micic is rich man’s version of Sato. Def a help but not as good as Lowry. His impact would be minimal and wouldn’t move the needle. Per dollar he may be better than Lonzo though.

If the Thunder or other teams that held his rights viewed him as a rich man's Sato, then it is surprising he isn't here already, though maybe he had a nasty buyout until this year. He's a FA this season.

That’s his ceiling IMO
xpmar9x
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#72 » by xpmar9x » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:06 pm

dougthonus wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:I agree that $4.5 mil is pretty close to the equivalent of 2.5 mil Euro, but I'm a little more optimistic in that I think a 3yr deal starting at $6 million would do it - that's 33% more than he'd get in Europe. 3/20 would do it IMO.

No idea what it would take him to move. Each player is different there. If he's really happy with his situation, then 2.5M Euro is generational wealth. That said if he could make it as an NBA player, the money obviously has potential to be 10 fold that on his second deal here.

This does seem like a good situation for him, and if we like him then I think we could get him to come and probably trade for him reasonably cheaply. The question will be whether he's a good player of us.

I feel like 3y at 15-20M easily gets it done. Year 1 at 4.5M w/ 15% increases (5.175M & 6M) puts the contract slightly $15M. 2M Euros is just above $3M, it'd be quite the payday for him. He'd also have the potential to be the starting PG on a historical franchise. Not tanking/rebuilding like OKC either. After his 3 years if he does end up being legitimate, he'd still be young enough for a 2nd payday. If he's worse than Sato, just remember his contract is less than Felicios was.

As for getting his rights, and easy 3 way should get it done:
Bulls get: Micic
OKC gets: Future CHI 2nd + ______ 2nd rd
______ gets: Sato

Surely somebody would give up a 2nd for Sato and his expiring contract.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#73 » by dougthonus » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:11 pm

xpmar9x wrote:I feel like 3y at 15-20M/yr easily gets it done. Year 1 at 4.5M w/ 15% increases (5.175M & 6M) puts the contract slightly $15M. 2M Euros is just above $3M, it'd be quite the payday for him. He'd also have the potential to be the starting PG on a historical franchise. Not tanking/rebuilding like OKC either. After his 3 years if he does end up being legitimate, he'd still be young enough for a 2nd payday. If he's worse than Sato, just remember his contract is less than Felicios was.

As for getting his rights, and easy 3 way should get it done:
Bulls get: Micic
OKC gets: Future CHI 2nd + ______ 2nd rd
______ gets: Sato

Surely somebody would give up a 2nd for Sato and his expiring contract.

I think the Bulls 2nd for him is fair value, the interesting question would be whether OKC even wants a 2nd rounder. They have so many 1st rounders over the next five seasons they can't even squeeze them on the roster. That said, you can almost always trade an early 2nd for two future 2nds and push them off into the future and keep trying to add to your long term asset base.
@doug_thonus on twitter
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,447

Post#74 » by LateNight » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:07 am

xpmar9x wrote:
I feel like 3y at 15-20M/yr easily gets it done.

Year 1 at 4.5M w/ 15% increases (5.175M & 6M) puts the contract slightly $15M. 2M Euros is just above $3M, it'd be quite the payday for him. .

You wrote $15-20 per year... did you mean $15m total? Your math makes it seem like you mean total.

Someone else mention $10 / year (4/$40m total), and even that seemed like an overpay for a guy who has never played in the NBA.
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#75 » by CobyWhite0 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:02 am

LateNight wrote:
xpmar9x wrote:
I feel like 3y at 15-20M/yr easily gets it done.

Year 1 at 4.5M w/ 15% increases (5.175M & 6M) puts the contract slightly $15M. 2M Euros is just above $3M, it'd be quite the payday for him. .

You wrote $15-20 per year... did you mean $15m total? Your math makes it seem like you mean total.

Someone else mention $10 / year (4/$40m total), and even that seemed like an overpay for a guy who has never played in the NBA.

I think he definitely meant $15 mil total, but the problem is the bolded - he's only eligible for 5% raises, not 15%.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,135

Post#76 » by HomoSapien » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:21 am

I wonder if the Thunder value him or if he was simply a throw-in for the Horford trade. The Thunder also got a first-round pick and Maldeon in that trade.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#77 » by CobyWhite0 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:40 am

HomoSapien wrote:I wonder if the Thunder value him or if he was simply a throw-in for the Horford trade. The Thunder also got a first-round pick and Maldeon in that trade.

That's an excellent question, but IMO, the answer is probably irrelevant. I think it's all up to whether or not Micic is interested in playing for the Thunder.

If I had to guess, they wouldn't be very interested in adding him to their roster. While even a very young rebuilding team needs a few solid veterans, I would think they'd rather have NBA veterans (like Sato and Thad when they signed here) instead of an NBA rookie.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Post#78 » by meekrab » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:58 pm

dougthonus wrote:I think the Bulls 2nd for him is fair value, the interesting question would be whether OKC even wants a 2nd rounder. They have so many 1st rounders over the next five seasons they can't even squeeze them on the roster. That said, you can almost always trade an early 2nd for two future 2nds and push them off into the future and keep trying to add to your long term asset base.

This is a good point, eventually OKC will have to start consolidating assets... they have a net of 22 incoming picks over the next 6 drafts already.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#79 » by transplant » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:12 pm

Just watched his highlight reel. Best player ever. I mean, hell, he never misses.

But seriously folks, this is one of those situations where you have to trust the front office professionals who watch ALL the tape. If AKME love him, I'm willing to at least conditionally love him.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#80 » by CobyWhite0 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:25 am

From Wiretap:

Vasilije Micic has emerged as one of the top players in Europe and his NBA rights are owned by the Oklahoma City Thunder following last year's trade with the Philadelphia 76ers involving Al Horford.

Micic was the 52nd overall pick in 2014 and currently plays for Anadolu Efes in Istanbul. Micic was MVP of the EuroLeague this season.

Micic and the Thunder each appear to prefer to wait until after the draft to make a decision on whether he will join the team.

Micic's agent, Misko Raznatovic, recently said he doesn't want him to have the same fate as Vassilis Spanoulis, who played sparingly in his one season in the NBA.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/262929/Vasilije-Micic-Thunder-Likely-To-Wait-Until-After-Draft-To-Decide-On-21-22

Return to Chicago Bulls