Doug McDermott Free Agency

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Doug McDermott Free Agency 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:57 pm

Catch all for Doug. He also had a small mention in the Chris Fedor article regarding Cleveland.
Doug McDermott is an elite outside shooter, but he often gets played off the court because of his defensive deficiencies. Can the Cavs really afford another minus-defender?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Re: Doug McDermott Free Agency 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:27 pm

If I have to choose between Doug and TJ, I pick TJ. Who we draft could make me feel stronger about this. If we draft a wing, bringing Doug back could block his development.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#3 » by Tom White » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:05 pm

Wizop wrote:If I have to choose between Doug and TJ, I pick TJ. Who we draft could make me feel stronger about this. If we draft a wing, bringing Doug back could block his development.

I would hope we can keep both. I still think there is a chance D McD can further improve his defense. If Doug is blocking another players development, doesn't that just mean he is a better player than the other guy? Anyway, I have to think minutes could be found for a back-up. We've had guys injured enough that finding minutes at any position would not have been a problem the last couple of years. Seems to me it is more a matter of the coach managing playing time better.
BooomBaby
Junior
And1: 188

Post#4 » by BooomBaby » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:10 am

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:If I have to choose between Doug and TJ, I pick TJ. Who we draft could make me feel stronger about this. If we draft a wing, bringing Doug back could block his development.

I would hope we can keep both. I still think there is a chance D McD can further improve his defense. If Doug is blocking another players development, doesn't that just mean he is a better player than the other guy? Anyway, I have to think minutes could be found for a back-up. We've had guys injured enough that finding minutes at any position would not have been a problem the last couple of years. Seems to me it is more a matter of the coach managing playing time better.

I hope we keep them both as well.

They're the only 2 Pacers that I actually like.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 675

Post#5 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:05 pm

Problem we have with this roster is that Doug and Justin H are basically in my opinion the same level talent for one bench position. They each have a bit different skill set but to me both are valuable at the same position and neither is starter quality. Thus our biggest problem with this team is plenty of good talent when we need another star quality player.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#6 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:10 pm

I would be happy to part with either if we can make a package to get a starting caliber player better than either Doug or Justin. I loved our depth of good talent but we need more top talent.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#7 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:33 pm

I forgot to mention Lamb also at this position.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:21 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I would be happy to part with either if we can make a package to get a starting caliber player better than either Doug or Justin. I loved our depth of good talent but we need more top talent.
Neither starts so their replacement doesn't need to be ready this year. The draft could give us a wing. This year he could take Doug's minutes.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:36 am

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I would be happy to part with either if we can make a package to get a starting caliber player better than either Doug or Justin. I loved our depth of good talent but we need more top talent.
Neither starts so their replacement doesn't need to be ready this year. The draft could give us a wing. This year he could take Doug's minutes.

Sent from my phone.

Really, in a way, TJ Warren could be taking Doug’s minutes. Justin slides back to the bench. Oshae is ready for the backup 4. Add in a draft pick to compete, and there’s really a good amount of players there. And Lamb could always help a ton at the 2/3, offensively.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#10 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:54 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Add in a draft pick to compete, and there’s really a good amount of players there. And Lamb could always help a ton at the 2/3, offensively.

Summarizing, if we draft a wing, we can afford to let Doug walk. But if If we keep him, we should find a Lamb deal.

And we haven't considered Martin, Stanley, our 2nds, or Oshae at 3.

Sent from my phone.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#11 » by Topofthekey » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:00 am

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Add in a draft pick to compete, and there’s really a good amount of players there. And Lamb could always help a ton at the 2/3, offensively.

Summarizing, if we draft a wing, we can afford to let Doug walk. But if If we keep him, we should find a Lamb deal.

And we haven't considered Martin, Stanley, our 2nds, or Oshae at 3.

Sent from my phone.

I lean towards keeping Doug, and then finding a trade for Lamb

I think there's even the remote possibility that we keep Doug, and a contender comes asking for him at the trade deadline, in which case we'll just trade Doug and keep Lamb instead
Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:50 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I lean towards keeping Doug, and then finding a trade for Lamb

I lean toward trading Lamb and maybe also Aaron first and then seeing where the market is for Doug when playing tax isn't a problem.

who we draft is also a complicating factor. we're drafting high enough that the new Pacer should get minutes as a rookie. if he is a two or a three, Justin and Doug would be competing for minutes and I think Justin wins. if we can't dump Lamb, the need is even less.

Return to Indiana Pacers