International NBA players won in 2021 the MVP award for the third year in a row and fourth straight DPoY award!!

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

International NBA players won in 2021 the MVP award for the third year in a row and fourth straight DPoY award!! 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:25 pm

I guess just 5 years ago in 2016, when no single foreign player into NBA 1st, 2nd nor 3rd All-NBA team, nor single international player into both NBA All-Defensive teams, something like this seemed unthinkable!

2 out of 3 official 2021 MVP candidates are foreigners, Joel Embiid and eventual winner Nikola Jokic, who join 2019 and 2020 MVP winner Giannis Antetokounmpo.

2 out of 3 official 2021 NBA DPoY candidates are foreigners, Ben Simmons and eventual winner Rudy Gobert, who won his 3rd DPoY title in the last 4 years (the winner in 2020 was Giannis Antetokounmpo).

2021 All-NBA first team is still not announced yet but it is widely expected to have 3rd season in the row with multiple foreign members with Jokic as the best center and strong chances of guard Doncic or/and forward Giannis to join him.

To be mentioned, Giannis Antetokounmpo becomes in 2021 the first international player ever to win the NBA All-Star MVP award, while both conferences in 2021 selected All-Star starters to have multiple foreign players (Giannis and Embiid on the East, and Jokic and Doncic on the West), which also never happens before.

Talking about other NBA official awards note that Jordan Clarkson who playing for the Philippines National team won this season's 6th Man award, while foreigners won 2 out of the last 5 NBA MIP awards (Giannis and Siakam).

This is arguably the greatest regular NBA season ever for international players in NBA history, and considering how old (aka young) are Giannis, Jokic, Embiid, Simmons, Doncic... international players will be strong contenders for both these most prestigious official NBA awards at least to the end of 20'is!

EDIT:
THE J0KER wrote:More great news for International Basketball coming. Thanks to center Jokic, forward Giannis, and guard Doncic, for the first time ever foreign stars are the majority in all-NBA first team! In the past 75 years, there is 9 times one foreign player in All-NBA first team, 5 times there is two, and this 2021 three out of 5 All-NBA first team members are international players!
Charm
Junior
And1: 257

Re: International NBA players won in 2021 the MVP award for the third year in a row and fourth straight DPoY award!! 

Post#2 » by Charm » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:26 am

"Strong contenders" is selling them short, if anything...they seem like the only contenders for the foreseeable future. Tatum's probably the best hope for the Americans, and it's really tough to imagine him outplaying Doncic for a full season.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Re: International NBA players won in 2021 the MVP award for the third year in a row and fourth straight DPoY award!! 

Post#3 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:44 am

Charm wrote:"Strong contenders" is selling them short, if anything...they seem like the only contenders for the foreseeable future. Tatum's probably the best hope for the Americans, and it's really tough to imagine him outplaying Doncic for a full season.

It is not that bad for Americans. Two-way stars Kawhi and Davis can still be MVP contenders for the next 5+ years, and not just Tatum out of youngsters can join them, especially some of the young USA PG's (Morant, LaMelo, Trae...).
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#4 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:40 pm

Is it just me or is it becoming less important if someone is "international" or not? I think the NBA has enough international players that it's common place. --- Although I will admit, that I enjoy how well our international players are doing.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#5 » by THE J0KER » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:18 am

More great news for International Basketball coming. Thanks to center Jokic, forward Giannis, and guard Doncic, for the first time ever foreign stars are the majority in all-NBA first team! In the past 75 years, there is 9 times one foreign player in All-NBA first team, 5 times there is two, and this 2021 three out of 5 All-NBA first team members are international players!

NuggetsWY wrote:Is it just me or is it becoming less important if someone is "international" or not? I think the NBA has enough international players that it's common place. --- Although I will admit, that I enjoy how well our international players are doing.

I'm talking about the evolution of the NBA and the World. Just 35-40 years ago Cuban emigrants alone have a bigger impact on MLB than players from the rest of the world in NBA, and the first big exceptions are actually fully American (NCAA) basketball products (Hakeem Olajuwon even played for the USA national team). But look it now, USA/World in NBA right now very remind on North America / Europe *rivalry* in NHL! I can agree in basketball there is no true rivalry between the USA and the rest of the world simply because, for example, all 8 all-star foreign players in 2021 belong to 8 different 8 countries from 3 different continents, and in the current era, all of them are global stars not just national.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#6 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:57 am

THE J0KER wrote:More great news for International Basketball coming. Thanks to center Jokic, forward Giannis, and guard Doncic, for the first time ever foreign stars are the majority in all-NBA first team! In the past 75 years, there is 9 times one foreign player in All-NBA first team, 5 times there is two, and this 2021 three out of 5 All-NBA first team members are international players!
NuggetsWY wrote:Is it just me or is it becoming less important if someone is "international" or not? I think the NBA has enough international players that it's common place. --- Although I will admit, that I enjoy how well our international players are doing.

I'm talking about the evolution of the NBA and the World. Just 35-40 years ago Cuban emigrants alone have a bigger impact on MLB than players from the rest of the world in NBA, and the first big exceptions are actually fully American (NCAA) basketball products (Hakeem Olajuwon even played for the USA national team). But look it now, USA/World in NBA right now very remind on North America / Europe *rivalry* in NHL! I can agree in basketball there is no true rivalry between the USA and the rest of the world simply because, for example, all 8 all-star foreign players in 2021 belong to 8 different 8 countries from 3 different continents, and in the current era, all of them are global stars not just national.

Thinking about the early Euro-players, there were probably a few earlier ones, but Sarunas Marciulionis, Drazen Petrovic, and Vlade Divac really taught America that Euro-players could be significant and not just marginal role-playing shooters. There were the occasional Euro-players for a while. Each made an impact, but they were treated like anomolies.

Look at where we are today, the NBA actively scouts and seeks Euro-players. The NBA has changed greatly, when it comes to the concept of Euro-players.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,147

Post#7 » by dygaction » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:49 am

THE J0KER wrote:
Charm wrote:"Strong contenders" is selling them short, if anything...they seem like the only contenders for the foreseeable future. Tatum's probably the best hope for the Americans, and it's really tough to imagine him outplaying Doncic for a full season.

It is not that bad for Americans. Two-way stars Kawhi and Davis can still be MVP contenders for the next 5+ years, and not just Tatum out of youngsters can join them, especially some of the young USA PG's (Morant, LaMelo, Trae...).

Kawhi and Davis may be FMVPs but they won't likely get regular season MVPs anymore due to their health concerns.

Return to International Basketball