ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2021-22 Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Re: Official Celtics 2021 Post/Off-Season Thread 

Post#361 » by jmr07019 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:53 pm

Was the Kyrie trade Ainge’s worst move? Both SGA and Porter Jr were available as were Bridges and Sexton. Even if Danny doesn’t pick the best player available we could have still gotten a very good player. And of course not having a pick killed any chance at trading up for Doncic.

No Kyrie also means we don’t panic sign Kemba. Imagine trading Kemba for MPJ and Rozier right now :lol: :(
Show Love Spread Love
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#362 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:24 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:Only players worth keeping, that also happens to be our likely best starting lineup plus only two competent backups worth their salaries are:

Pritchard-Smart
Nesmith-Langford
Brown
Tatum
Williams

Everyone else should go

Totally agree. Mine goes like this.

Smart Pritch
Brown Nesmith
Tatum Langford
Upgrade Upgrade
RWilliams Upgrade

Add 3 quality front court players that can defend an shoot. 1 as a starter so Tatum and Brown can beat up on 2s and 3s and 2 backups that are good.

Edit I'd keep Parker too as a back up front court player. I bet he'll come into camp in great shape.
That's the Way of the World
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#363 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:33 pm

jmr07019 wrote:Was the Kyrie trade Ainge’s worst move? Both SGA and Porter Jr were available as were Bridges and Sexton. Even if Danny doesn’t pick the best player available we could have still gotten a very good player. And of course not having a pick killed any chance at trading up for Doncic.

No Kyrie also means we don’t panic sign Kemba. Imagine trading Kemba for MPJ and Rozier right now :lol: :(

No it was Stevens worst move. Ainge provided and Stevens slept. Your downstream scenarios are spot on.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,256

Post#364 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:35 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:Only players worth keeping, that also happens to be our likely best starting lineup plus only two competent backups worth their salaries are:

Pritchard-Smart
Nesmith-Langford
Brown
Tatum
Williams

Everyone else should go

Smart Pritch
Brown Nesmith
Tatum Langford
Upgrade Upgrade
RWilliams Upgrade

Add 3 quality front court players that can defend an shoot. 1 as a starter so Tatum and Brown can beat up on 2s and 3s and 2 backups that are good.

Edit I'd keep Parker too as a back up front court player. I bet he'll come into camp in great shape.

Agree with you on which guys are worth keeping. I'd just maybe caution that not sure both Nesmith and Langford on the bench will be enough offensive shot creation. So might need to roll with one or the other down the line.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,541

Post#365 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:38 pm

There are only two guys that are must keeps and both their first names start with the letter J
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#366 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:58 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

Pritchard-Smart
Nesmith-Langford
Brown
Tatum
Williams

Everyone else should go

Smart Pritch
Brown Nesmith
Tatum Langford
Upgrade Upgrade
RWilliams Upgrade

Agree with you on which guys are worth keeping. I'd just maybe caution that not sure both Nesmith and Langford on the bench will be enough offensive shot creation. So might need to roll with one or the other down the line.

I thought that too. But they'd be running with Pritch and some new front court athletes not Grant Semi Kornet etc. And it's only in backup minutes. Plus I bet they're both ready come camp. Nesmith works hard and Romeos developed physically. Fun to see though right.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#367 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:59 pm

Am I the only one that likes tatum at his current position?

I mean he dropped how many 50 point games, 40 point games and a 60 point game this year again?

I dont think there is an issue with him at PF.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#368 » by RickyDizzle » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:18 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:Am I the only one that likes tatum at his current position?

I mean he dropped how many 50 point games, 40 point games and a 60 point game this year again?

You are not. He has PF size and SF speed, works fine as a 4 for sure.

I would resign Fournier for 17/18 mil a year, we need above average players and he is a bit of a Hayward light.

Smart-Fournier-Jaylen-Tatum-Timelord
Pritchard, Nesmith, Romeo

^Thats what I would like to keep and fill in around. Biggest need being someone taller than 6'10".

Guys that I think are likely to still be here though include Kemba (not worth paying to get rid of him), Thompson (had a good playoffs, maybe theres a market for him), Parker, Grant, and Kornet. If we do trade Kemba it likely costs us one of Timelord, Nesmith, or Romeo and a pick.

So essentially, I expect us to test the market with Kemba and then to run it back replacing Semi, Edwards, etc with higher upside draft picks.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#369 » by ParticleMan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:26 pm

i think romeo/nesmith can give us 12 ppg and much better defense than fournier. if we sign fournier to 4/70 or something he's just going to cockblock those guys. and don't tell me that's a tradeable contract, dude was given away essentially for free at the deadline.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,113

Post#370 » by RB34 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:45 pm

ParticleMan wrote:i think romeo/nesmith can give us 12 ppg and much better defense than fournier. if we sign fournier to 4/70 or something he's just going to cockblock those guys. and don't tell me that's a tradeable contract, dude was given away essentially for free at the deadline.

Loved what a I saw from Romeo in the BKN series, he’s going to be huge for us next season and make losing Smart easier.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#371 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:30 pm

RB34 wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:i think romeo/nesmith can give us 12 ppg and much better defense than fournier. if we sign fournier to 4/70 or something he's just going to cockblock those guys. and don't tell me that's a tradeable contract, dude was given away essentially for free at the deadline.

Loved what a I saw from Romeo in the BKN series, he’s going to be huge for us next season and make losing Smart easier.

Romeo was garbage except for like 2 or 3 games all season.

On a good team he is the 5th wing.
He could never replace smart.

If we brought back exact same team he is behind

Brown
Kemba
Smart
Fournier
Pritchard
Nesmith
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#372 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:17 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:There are only two guys that are must keeps and both their first names start with the letter J

They already ditched Jeff and Javonte at the deadline. Jabari and...?
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,149

Post#373 » by Tyakack » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:There are only two guys that are must keeps and both their first names start with the letter J

Only 1 must keep. Everyone else can be dealt in the right deal. In a perfect world though of course we keep both and add another star......somehow.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#374 » by playa-hater » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:57 am

Was debating this with myself as well. If we were a sure fire title contender, Fournier is the veteran we need. but looking forward perhaps it is better to expedite the growth of Romeo and Nesmith. perhaps use the extra cap space for a veteran PF type instead of another wing.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#375 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:38 am

RickyDizzle wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:Am I the only one that likes tatum at his current position?

I would resign Fournier for 17/18 mil a year, we need above average players and he is a bit of a Hayward light.

^Thats what I would like to keep and fill in around. Biggest need being someone taller than 6'10".

Guys that I think are likely to still be here though include Kemba (not worth paying to get rid of him), Thompson (had a good playoffs, maybe theres a market for him), Parker, Grant, and Kornet. If we do trade Kemba it likely costs us one of Timelord, Nesmith, or Romeo and a pick.

So essentially, I expect us to test the market with Kemba and then to run it back replacing Semi, Edwards, etc with higher upside draft picks.

I agree offensively somewhat but defensively wouldn't you rather not have Tatum on the opposition's 2nd biggest player. It takes a toll no. On O, yes he has a speed advantage but again I'd rather have him going against the opposing SF than the PF. Same with JB IMO

Edit it would just make us a longer more physical team. Plus a legit 7 footer.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#376 » by RickyDizzle » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:34 am

moonie_mcgee wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:

I agree offensively somewhat but defensively wouldn't you rather not have Tatum on the opposition's 2nd biggest player. It takes a toll no. On O, yes he has a speed advantage but again I'd rather have him going against the opposing SF than the PF. Same with JB IMO

Personally, I think Tatum can guard 4s just as well as 3s... Though if you swap Fournier in the starting group with a switchable 4 that can grab rebounds and maybe protect the rim a bit, then the defense is def way better. No denying that. But Fournier can score at all 3 levels, handle the ball, and playmake a bit... So he upgrades the offense quite a bit, I think.

Most importantly the impact 4 that can switch on D, and space the floor isnt on our team (other than Tatum). Fournier is, so we have his bird rights...
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#377 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:56 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:

Personally, I think Tatum can guard 4s just as well as 3s... Though if you swap Fournier in the starting group with a switchable 4 that can grab rebounds and maybe protect the rim a bit, then the defense is def way better. No denying that. But Fournier can score at all 3 levels, handle the ball, and playmake a bit... So he upgrades the offense quite a bit, I think.

Most importantly the impact 4 that can switch on D, and space the floor isnt on our team (other than Tatum). Fournier is, so we have his bird rights...

I honestly agree with all of it. I'm just having a hard time believing we can win a title with JB and JT as our starting front court. We'd be too small. Maybe if we had a 7'1"+ beast at center playing 30+ minutes it could work but I'd rather add a bigger frontcourt player than Tatum to the starting lineup and push our 2 stars to the SG and SF spots.
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#378 » by LoquaciousLarry » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:36 pm

If they can somehow manage to facilitate a Damian Lillard or Bradley Beal trade before the end of the trade deadline next year while keeping Brown and Tatum they can compete for a title next year. If not the best case might be to either hold out until they can get a player of that caliber without giving up Brown or Tatum or settle for a lower level star in a Kemba/Smart/Picks/Projects deal.

Players in that tier may include CJ McCollum, Kristapz Porzingis and Chris Paul
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#379 » by Bohemian » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:00 am

Bye bye, Tacko and Tremont:

The Celtics are also expected to have both two-way contract spots open with Tacko Fall and Tremont Waters expected to move on.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/06/12/sports/after-firing-another-coach-indiana-pacers-again-starting-over/

I guess the next to leave will be Semi, Kornet and Jabari. Hopefully Carsen and Grant will be sent packing in trades during the summer.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#380 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:09 pm

Bohemian wrote:Bye bye, Tacko and Tremont:

The Celtics are also expected to have both two-way contract spots open with Tacko Fall and Tremont Waters expected to move on.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/06/12/sports/after-firing-another-coach-indiana-pacers-again-starting-over/

I guess the next to leave will be Semi, Kornet and Jabari. Hopefully Carsen and Grant will be sent packing in trades during the summer.

I'd be inclined to pay the first guaranteed bit on the second year of Jabari.

And I'll look forward to seeing where Tacko lands. I still believe he has legit potential with more playing time and some toughness coaching.

Return to Boston Celtics