ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft Thread

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Re: 2021 Draft Thread 

Post#241 » by azwfan » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:24 pm

whatisacenter wrote:2 weeks until the draft lottery and we find out the Warriors fortunes! Come on 1 and 4! I would also be happy with anything and 14.

If we come away with a top 4 choice, that would be really exciting. Even if the Minny pick doesnt convey, its still a huge win.

Worst case scenario is we get 14 and Minny pick doesnt convey. That would be a big let down. I have confidence in the light years mojo tho.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
osx28
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#242 » by osx28 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:46 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Knicks have 7 players under contract, the rest are options. The Knicks may want to get out from RJ Barrett's contract, they also have Joakim Noah on 1 year and Frank Ntilikina on a qualifying offer. Oubre might get the $80M contract he wants and some combination of those players and a 2nd round draft pick from the Warriors could get it done. The issue then is what the Warriors do with the players they get back.

Dubs will only trade if 1) The player has actual impact and considered valuable asset seen around the league and 2) Doesn't hurt Mr. Lacob's wallet aka gets us over the salary cap / luxury tax (We'd be second tax offenders due to the Oubre trade last season). Only thing I see happening is possibly trading away their 2nd round pick(s) via sign-n-trade. Otherwise, we get nothing (And that's fine).

The Warriors ARE over the cap and tax line, there is virtually no way the Warriors are under the salary cap/luxury tax level in the next 12 months. If Curry gets signed to another supermax it will go longer.

If the team can get real value I think they'll do it, I just don't see that value out there all that much.

The only thing I have come up with is Harrison Barnes, but doubt SAC wants oubre or Oubre wants SAC so it's unlikely.

At this point a TPE is the best I can realistically hope for. I really think they dropped the ball not trading him at the deadline.
Dinwiddie or Lonzo were rumored to have been offered,
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#243 » by whatisacenter » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:54 pm

I like these 1 on 1 interviews with Schmitz and I really liked hearing Mitchell talking defense.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#244 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:23 pm

whatisacenter wrote:I like these 1 on 1 interviews with Schmitz and I really liked hearing Mitchell talking defense.

Mitchell's defense and playmaking would be such a perfect fit for the Warriors.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#245 » by mos_def » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:52 pm

The thing that worries me is that we draft a player that has more now production over possibly the better prospect that needs development. Drafting Wiseman can of proved that theory wrong last year but I think many think the same
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#246 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:51 pm

mos_def wrote:The thing that worries me is that we draft a player that has more now production over possibly the better prospect that needs development. Drafting Wiseman can of proved that theory wrong last year but I think many think the same

On the bright side this draft has MUCH better players in both potential and playability than last year.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#247 » by wco81 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:08 pm

"Historically great" draft class?

he 2021 NBA Draft lottery is nine days away, at which point teams will know where they fall in the draft order and which prospects are likely to be available to them at their pick. And while teams covet the top overall selections every single year, there's an abnormally high level of enthusiasm about the top of this year's draft class, which could be among the best the league has ever seen.T

Since 2000, there has been only one NBA draft class (2003) that has produced four All-Stars among the top five overall picks (LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade). Obviously, it will be a decade or two until we can determine if the 2021 class has reached similar levels of superstardom, but NBA teams and executives generally view it as the one that has the best chance to do so.

"That top five is potentially as stout as any of the other drafts [since 2000]," one high-ranking NBA executive told ESPN's Mike Schmitz. "There are years where the No. 1 pick would never be the No. 1 pick ever again. Some drafts lack that No. 1 pick. This one's legit. I'm a big fan. There's legit star power [in the top 5]."

"I still think somebody else is going to come out of the pile and push their way up," one NBA exec told Schmitz.

Which prospects might fit that bill? Schmitz mentioned Scottie Barnes, Davion Mitchell and Keon Johnson as potential candidates to jump into the top five. Among those three, Mitchell would best fit the Warriors' timeline, while Barnes certainly offers an intriguing skill set to combine with the current core.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/2021-nba-draft-warriors-need-luck-historically-great-class?utm_tags=nbcsemail2000&mi_u=438C0C21-0AEF-428F-AB31-4A3274DAA73A
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#248 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:57 pm

wco81 wrote:"Historically great" draft class?

he 2021 NBA Draft lottery is nine days away, at which point teams will know where they fall in the draft order and which prospects are likely to be available to them at their pick. And while teams covet the top overall selections every single year, there's an abnormally high level of enthusiasm about the top of this year's draft class, which could be among the best the league has ever seen.T

Since 2000, there has been only one NBA draft class (2003) that has produced four All-Stars among the top five overall picks (LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade). Obviously, it will be a decade or two until we can determine if the 2021 class has reached similar levels of superstardom, but NBA teams and executives generally view it as the one that has the best chance to do so.

"That top five is potentially as stout as any of the other drafts [since 2000]," one high-ranking NBA executive told ESPN's Mike Schmitz. "There are years where the No. 1 pick would never be the No. 1 pick ever again. Some drafts lack that No. 1 pick. This one's legit. I'm a big fan. There's legit star power [in the top 5]."

"I still think somebody else is going to come out of the pile and push their way up," one NBA exec told Schmitz.

Which prospects might fit that bill? Schmitz mentioned Scottie Barnes, Davion Mitchell and Keon Johnson as potential candidates to jump into the top five. Among those three, Mitchell would best fit the Warriors' timeline, while Barnes certainly offers an intriguing skill set to combine with the current core.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/2021-nba-draft-warriors-need-luck-historically-great-class?utm_tags=nbcsemail2000&mi_u=438C0C21-0AEF-428F-AB31-4A3274DAA73A

#1 and #4 let's go!!!! :)
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#249 » by FNQ » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:30 am

Swift21 wrote:Myers says we're looking to add a playmaker. That definitely puts Giddey in play.

More I see of him, more livid I'd be with a Giddey pick. His archetype has not succeeded unless paired with some ungodly scoring ability (Luka). Less athletic/quick big guards have had limited ceilings. Are we really trying to draft an Evan Turner or Shaun Livingston at 14? If we're going for a playmaker, make it Mitchell or keep moving. And while I love Mitchell the player, I just dont see the point in grabbing another handling guard if we're insisting that Poole is a combo guard.

There's a lot of playmakers in the 2nd who should be of interest:

David Duke
David Johnson
Marcus Garrett
Joel Ayayi
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#250 » by whatisacenter » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:05 am

FNQ wrote:
Swift21 wrote:Myers says we're looking to add a playmaker. That definitely puts Giddey in play.

More I see of him, more livid I'd be with a Giddey pick. His archetype has not succeeded unless paired with some ungodly scoring ability (Luka). Less athletic/quick big guards have had limited ceilings. Are we really trying to draft an Evan Turner or Shaun Livingston at 14? If we're going for a playmaker, make it Mitchell or keep moving. And while I love Mitchell the player, I just dont see the point in grabbing another handling guard if we're insisting that Poole is a combo guard.

David Duke
David Johnson
Marcus Garrett
Joel Ayayi

I like Giddey and Davion more than you but I am curious where you would draft the players you mentioned and do you see the Warriors trading into the second round?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#251 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:20 pm

There are so many players in this draft I like. I REALLY want the NBA to expand rosters so more player development can be done.

There is enough talent in this draft that there will be surprises on the board at 14 so it's near impossible to speculate.

At 6 (assuming that's where it lands) for me in no particular order Kuminga, Barnes, Mitchell, Moody.

At 14 (assuming that's where it lands) in no particular order (and dreaming of a fall for some) Giddey, Wagner, Springer, Jalen Johnson, Kispert, Trey Murphy.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#252 » by FNQ » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:59 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
FNQ wrote:

David Duke
David Johnson
Marcus Garrett
Joel Ayayi

I like Giddey and Davion more than you but I am curious where you would draft the players you mentioned and do you see the Warriors trading into the second round?

Mitchell probably has to go 6th.. which is probably a reach but I think he’s a safe, solid pick. But a luxury for us. Giddey I wouldn’t draft in the first.. hit archetype comes up so often and so rarely hits. If he’s there at 14, you don’t look that gift horse in the mouth. But as I said on other threads, I really hope we don’t make a pick at 14. And I mean that in any way - trade, move up, move down, etc. But no thanks on the next Bob Sura / Jiri Welsch / Dante Exum Uber-tall PG that can’t shoot but isn’t athletic enough to be a good defender either

The ones listed? Those are all early to mid 2nds. If we can make a deal with the Raps (46, 47) or if we buy our way into the 2nd, I like all of those PGs but like Ayayi best.. I think a guy like Ayayi gives you 95% of what you’d get from Giddey at a far cheaper cost.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#253 » by watch1958 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:21 pm

If they actually got 1 & 4, I am sure they’d be happy with whichever two they got.

But do you think they would really want both? Or would they be looking to pick one/trade one for a vet?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,117

Post#254 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:51 am

One week from now and we should know where we pick.

Can't wait!
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#255 » by Mob Byers » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:47 am

watch1958 wrote:If they actually got 1 & 4, I am sure they’d be happy with whichever two they got.

But do you think they would really want both? Or would they be looking to pick one/trade one for a vet?

If they get Cade and a Jalen with those picks it'd be hard to trade them imo
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#256 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:06 pm

Mob Byers wrote:
watch1958 wrote:If they actually got 1 & 4, I am sure they’d be happy with whichever two they got.

If they get Cade and a Jalen with those picks it'd be hard to trade them imo

Trading away a top pick is tough because it's rare you get reasonable return on it.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,763

Post#257 » by Upperclass » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 pm

tbh I think GSW wins the lotto but if they don't.. at 6 it should be imo Barnes, Ziaire Williams or Davion Mitchell(Jalen Johnson would be on a Do not draft list due to attitude and focus); at 14.. Josh Christopher, Nahson Hyland or Greg Brown but GSW should do everything they can to make sure they end up with Christopher(tbh would take him at 6). In the 2nd round, trade back in and grab Max Abmas
RichmondWarrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#258 » by RichmondWarrior » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:19 pm

It’s a 5 man draft and of course we’re gonna get shafted....warriors have never once moved up in the draft. We get High picks in weak drafts and low picks in stacked ones. I fully expect we get 7-8 or Minn wins the lotto. At 14 only player I really want is Zaire or Jalen Johnson if he’s there.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 828

Post#259 » by marthafokker » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:40 pm

I saw the pelicans with the #14 pick.
I was celebrating!

Only to wake up. That seems how Warriors fans get treated with lottery drawings.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#260 » by whatisacenter » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:57 am

my current top 15 subject to further evaluation.

Tier 1
1. J Suggs
2. C Cunningham
3. J Green
4. E Mobley

Tier 2
5. S Barnes
6. J Kuminga

Tier everyone else
7. J Johnson
8. K Johnson
9. M Moody
10. Z Williams
11. J Springer
12. K Jones
13. J Giddey
14. F Wagner
15. A Sengun

I have a feeling D Mitchell and J Butler from Baylor might bump a couple of these guys out before the draft and I might be too low on Kispert.

Return to Golden State Warriors