madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Re: Playoff Paul George Mega-thread 

Post#101 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:25 pm

og15 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
Read on Twitter

We would have won last night's game by double digits with Shai and Gallo, no doubt in my mind.

Don't add Gallo at all, Gallo is not a good playoff performer, career 38/33 and 51 TS%. He does not produce well in the post-season, his shooting struggles a good amount, doesn't get to the line as much. I love Shai, but he's not immune to bad games, we could have won last game with him, we could have lost vs Mavs with him.

But what about Chris Paul and 'revitalized' playoff Blake- would we have won with them? :lol:
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#102 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:50 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
Read on Twitter

We would have won last night's game by double digits with Shai and Gallo, no doubt in my mind.
We wouldn't be playing last night if we had SGA and Gallo, bc Kawhi wouldn't be here.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
StreakyJ
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#103 » by StreakyJ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:46 am

Guys quit being so hard on PG. His cornrows w/ beard look's very professionally done as to look good missing shots and losing games he shouldn't. He and Gordon Hayward should start hanging out more for that good looking "don't really give a ****" disappointment factor.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#104 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:03 am

I'm not here to defend PG and his contract or his performance today. He came up short again But... He challenged DPOY Gobert on the rim 4 times today, missed one layup short at the rim, get him 3 fouls on rest while 2 of them and-1's on the 4th quarter. Kawhi OTOH never challenced him at the rim, defered to shooters. And sometimes couldn't even dribble his man out. Remember this.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#105 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:50 pm

I think on the whole Paul has been fine so far these playoffs- not 'Playoff Paul' but also not 'Pandemic Paul'. His 3-ball and jump shooting have been very inconsistent which is by far the biggest problem, but Lue is having him do a lot of primary ball handling and he is doing a pretty good job there and has stayed aggressive. You're never going to get a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio with him over a long stretch of games, but when he plays really well he can around 2:1 which is fine.

When he stays dialed in and then just shoots decently from long range, a 30/7/7 type game is not hard at all for him and usually means victory for us.

As far as his contract goes his play and production are fine IMO, the main problem is going to be his age by end of contract. If he could actually gain some consistency in his jumper it would help extend his good years.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#106 » by clipperlover » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:31 pm

In case you missed it, PG taking on ball handling duties is the brainchild of Billups. There was an ESPN Insider article about it yesterday and they briefly mentioned it on the telecast. It is a work in progress.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#107 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:37 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:I think on the whole Paul has been fine so far these playoffs- not 'Playoff Paul' but also not 'Pandemic Paul'. His 3-ball and jump shooting have been very inconsistent which is by far the biggest problem, but Lue is having him do a lot of primary ball handling and he is doing a pretty good job there and has stayed aggressive. You're never going to get a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio with him over a long stretch of games, but when he plays really well he can around 2:1 which is fine.

When he stays dialed in and then just shoots decently from long range, a 30/7/7 type game is not hard at all for him and usually means victory for us.

As far as his contract goes his play and production are fine IMO, the main problem is going to be his age by end of contract. If he could actually gain some consistency in his jumper it would help extend his good years.

Hoping what I'm seeing is growth by him (and the team) game by game.

When last night was getting out of hand, he showed up with some daggers to help put the game away. That did not go unnoticed by me.

He's not a Jeter or a Tom Brady playoff performer and he probably never will be. He probably will stink it up again on the road at some point but I think he found out how to be aggressive, get down hill, get to the line, and not play like a complete punk when things are not going well.

For that, I am growing a lot of respect for his playoff run. He found a way to make 4-17 in Game 1 stand up to 20 points and 10 boards.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#108 » by esqtvd » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:06 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:I think on the whole Paul has been fine so far these playoffs- not 'Playoff Paul' but also not 'Pandemic Paul'. His 3-ball and jump shooting have been very inconsistent which is by far the biggest problem, but Lue is having him do a lot of primary ball handling and he is doing a pretty good job there and has stayed aggressive. You're never going to get a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio with him over a long stretch of games, but when he plays really well he can around 2:1 which is fine.

Hoping what I'm seeing is growth by him (and the team) game by game.

When last night was getting out of hand, he showed up with some daggers to help put the game away. That did not go unnoticed by me.

He's not a Jeter or a Tom Brady playoff performer and he probably never will be. He probably will stink it up again on the road at some point but I think he found out how to be aggressive, get down hill, get to the line, and not play like a complete punk when things are not going well.

For that, I am growing a lot of respect for his playoff run. He found a way to make 4-17 in Game 1 stand up to 20 points and 10 boards.

Good on you, Brother Quake. Enough of the blame game. Watching Durant carry the Nets tonight--with his legend on the line--the NBA in the 21st century is about stepping up. This is not the NFL, where the team that makes the fewest mistakes [turnovers] wins.

These are the best playoffs in very many a year. Games are not lost, they are WON!
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#109 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:44 pm

Well here’s his chance…
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#110 » by clipperlover » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:45 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:Well here’s his chance…

You were saying..
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#111 » by clipperlover » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Looks like the resident PG expert is still waiting for that glitchy website to update its stats.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#112 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:50 pm

clipperlover wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Well here’s his chance…

You were saying..

:clap: :lift: :clap:
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#113 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:35 pm

clipperlover wrote:Looks like the resident PG expert is still waiting for that glitchy website to update its stats.

hard to do that when you've been 86'd lol.

for how long, who knows
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#114 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:12 pm

Do you guys think he can improve the consistency on his jumper? I think that would be the easiest way for him to improve his game, I'm wondering if there's some inconsistency in his form that leads to the wide variance.

He can improve his decision-making of course and at least reduce the obvious turnover situations (mainly lazy and forced passes), but aggressive PG is always going to be somewhat turnover prone. Whatever the mistakes he makes now, it's still seems better than early in the regular season when it felt like he he was routinely getting the ball stolen on his high post and penetration attempts.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#115 » by nickhx2 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:31 pm

honestly i think the best thing for him to do is work on his handle and his decision-making. i think he just seems inconsistent lately because he's been so tired.

working on his handle will be huge. it's not like it's bad, but he will lose the ball way too often for a guy who's asked to be the primary ball-handler in our system. additionally, it'll help him become even more lethal with his off the dribble 3 point shooting.

beyond that, the coaching staff needs to go through every turnover/lazy pass and put it on tape for him to review, alongside a veteran point guard who advise.

stuff like that i think would do wonders for him.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#116 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:00 am

I think his handles are actually pretty good, especially for his size, but he also gets lazy with that sometimes leading to turnovers (like his passing.)

Return to Los Angeles Clippers