Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

2021-22 regular season thread 

Post#1 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:31 am

F.A. and draft. Have at it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: 2021 off season thread 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:06 pm

22nd is the draft lottery and anything outside the top 6 is on the trade block but of course 7th has best odds of being the pick same as 5 did the past 2 years and they picked 5 in both.
I am not confident this front office will pick the "best player" this time even if they think they are.
As far as FA dont see it, and as far as player for player trades not seeing much there either.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,638

Post#3 » by toooskies » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:13 pm

Looked at what we'd like to see from Jarrett Allen compared to other players and landed on Clint Capela as a reasonable projection. Not sure if he's out-performing his contract, but he's being paid under $20m a year, so I wouldn't want to see Allen get more than that.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#4 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:28 pm

toooskies wrote:Looked at what we'd like to see from Jarrett Allen compared to other players and landed on Clint Capela as a reasonable projection. Not sure if he's out-performing his contract, but he's being paid under $20m a year, so I wouldn't want to see Allen get more than that.

Except for Allen's age ... teams bidding on him will still be doing some projecting of his value.

Jarrett Allen also has an attribute few other bigs share, and that's that he rarely commits fouls, shoots 70% from the free-throw line, and is mobile for his size. So, all that means he should be able to play big minutes in big games.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#5 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:28 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:Looked at what we'd like to see from Jarrett Allen compared to other players and landed on Clint Capela as a reasonable projection. Not sure if he's out-performing his contract, but he's being paid under $20m a year, so I wouldn't want to see Allen get more than that.

Except for Allen's age ... teams bidding on him will still be doing some projecting of his value.

Jarrett Allen also has an attribute few other bigs share, and that's that he rarely commits fouls, shoots 70% from the free-throw line, and is mobile for his size. So, all that means he should be able to play big minutes in big games.

Not having to come off the court due to poor free throw shooting at the end of a game is huge for a big.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#6 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:30 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Not having to come off the court due to poor free throw shooting at the end of a game is huge for a big.

I'd also like to think that concussion he suffered knocked a lot of the wind out of his sails rather than that he got upset about the losing and dysfunction and stopped trying to impress the Cavs. But I have no clue what he's thinking. We of course have the right to match any offer he gets, but holding on to a player who doesn't want to be here isn't likely to end well.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:55 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'd also like to think that concussion he suffered knocked a lot of the wind out of his sails rather than that he got upset about the losing and dysfunction and stopped trying to impress the Cavs. But I have no clue what he's thinking. We of course have the right to match any offer he gets, but holding on to a player who doesn't want to be here isn't likely to end well.

Well, the one thing he has going for him in contract talks is a very positive personality whenever interviewed which will sit well with culture focused gm SMH.
I like JFro and he is far from a finished product but there is no need to overpay a guy with so much left to achieve... granted bigs take longer to develop and you can bank on his improvement at what he already does well, but the key to me is can actually become a big that is a shooting threat at all.
If not anticipated, as I doubt it... then there is no way I give him what some other team probably does with an elite floor spreading 4 , and that should not be a consideration for the Cavs given the one in the wine and gold now is an expected injury away from playing 20 games a season to close his contract even though it is obvious Love playing was the optimism by Altman when he traded for a traditional non stretch rim protector. **** even if he just improved his passing to match Hartenstein I would feel better about the price it will cost to keep him
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:28 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Well, the one thing he has going for him in contract talks is a very positive personality whenever interviewed which will sit well with culture focused gm SMH.
I like JFro and he is far from a finished product but there is no need to overpay a guy with so much left to achieve... granted bigs take longer to develop and you can bank on his improvement at what he already does well, but the key to me is can actually become a big that is a shooting threat at all.
If not anticipated, as I doubt it... then there is no way I give him what some other team probably does with an elite floor spreading 4 , and that should not be a consideration for the Cavs given the one in the wine and gold now is an expected injury away from playing 20 games a season to close his contract even though it is obvious Love playing was the optimism by Altman when he traded for a traditional non stretch rim protector. **** even if he just improved his passing to match Hartenstein I would feel better about the price it will cost to keep him
The Cavs are gonna pay Allen. It's just a question of how much. There would be a point at which I'd tell him to go get an offer sheet, but I'd match anything he brought back.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The Cavs are gonna pay Allen. It's just a question of how much. There would be a point at which I'd tell him to go get an offer sheet, but I'd match anything he brought back.

Yeah they will. Should they though? I doubt it really. His disinterest at times is concerning
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:24 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Well, the one thing he has going for him in contract talks is a very positive personality whenever interviewed which will sit well with culture focused gm SMH.

Yeah they will. Should they though? I doubt it really. His disinterest at times is concerning
Yes. They should.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:14 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The Cavs are gonna pay Allen. It's just a question of how much. There would be a point at which I'd tell him to go get an offer sheet, but I'd match anything he brought back.

Yes. They should.

who are they playing next to him that helps spread the floor ? there is Nance I guess trying to be that guy but is not great at it and is much better closer inside. Wade and similar Kabengele maybe better step up if they put all their eggs in a basket on one old school center. The only way I entertain it above a reasonable deal is if they draft Mobley and they feel his shooting is legit which I am not sold on 100% yet.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:16 am

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Yeah they will. Should they though? I doubt it really. His disinterest at times is concerning
Yes. They should.

who are they playing next to him that helps spread the floor ? there is Nance I guess trying to be that guy but is not great at it and is much better closer inside. Wade and similar Kabengele maybe better step up if they put all their eggs in a basket on one old school center. The only way I entertain it above a reasonable deal is if they draft Mobley and they feel his shooting is legit which I am not sold on 100% yet.
Well, right now they're still stuck with Love either way. But they'll eventually need to find a guy to do it if Wade doesn't become a more reliable shooter.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#13 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:25 pm

Van Gundy fired, Brooks out in WAS. How committed are we to JBB? If we win the lottery, could we still make a coaching change? I don't want either of those particular coaches, but there's still some names out there that we should be looking at. I'd be in on Calipari(godfather offer again), Billips, Kidd, Cassell or Rondo(not that he's retiring) among others.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,638

Post#14 » by toooskies » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:01 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Van Gundy fired, Brooks out in WAS. How committed are we to JBB? If we win the lottery, could we still make a coaching change? I don't want either of those particular coaches, but there's still some names out there that we should be looking at. I'd be in on Calipari(godfather offer again), Billips, Kidd, Cassell or Rondo(not that he's retiring) among others.

Probably don't want to replace the head coach until Altman gets replaced or extended, just to give the new guy his choice. A headliner guy isn't coming to Cleveland with how often we've replaced our coaches this decade.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:04 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Van Gundy fired, Brooks out in WAS. How committed are we to JBB? If we win the lottery, could we still make a coaching change? I don't want either of those particular coaches, but there's still some names out there that we should be looking at. I'd be in on Calipari(godfather offer again), Billips, Kidd, Cassell or Rondo(not that he's retiring) among others.
Carlisle just walked away from Dallas. I'd pull the trigger if we could get him.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#16 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:17 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Carlisle just walked away from Dallas. I'd pull the trigger if we could get him.

I'd probably take Donnie Nelson too.

But we're probably not making a move, otherwise we would have already cleaned house and hired a new GM and coach with short resumes. No sense waiting to see who other teams will let go when you have no interest in paying for experience.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#17 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:44 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

But we're probably not making a move, otherwise we would have already cleaned house and hired a new GM and coach with short resumes. No sense waiting to see who other teams will let go when you have no interest in paying for experience.

You would lol
after the Luka trade everything he did was garbage. KP is broken, they gave up Barnes for cap space then didn't use it, they got Reddick and never played him in the playoffs, they used 4 2nds to get and then get rid of Delon Wright and like a fool traded Curry for Richardson and a meh 2nd.
The Mavs have no way to build through the draft not that will help them while Luka is there.
Carlisle didn't get fired he chose to leave too so that makes me not want him. He clearly does not want a challenge
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#18 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:42 am

I can't wait till the lotto happens. I just can't really get into this off-season until I know where the pick lands and who we might be looking at.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:37 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Carlisle just walked away from Dallas. I'd pull the trigger if we could get him.

You would lol [THIS RIGHT HERE IS INAPPROPRIATE]
after the Luka trade everything he did was garbage. KP is broken, they gave up Barnes for cap space then didn't use it, they got Reddick and never played him in the playoffs, they used 4 2nds to get and then get rid of Delon Wright and like a fool traded Curry for Richardson and a meh 2nd.
The Mavs have no way to build through the draft not that will help them while Luka is there.
Carlisle didn't get fired he chose to leave too so that makes me not want him. He clearly does not want a challenge
I'm going to say this one more time, and if it happens again, then you're going to get a nice, long vacation: If you cannot post without making it personal to another poster, don't post.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#20 » by Harper4Ferry? » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:50 am

jbk1234 wrote:

I'd literally give Carlisle a 7-10 year contract and let him pick his own (subservient) GM.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers