ImageImageImage

Rick Carlisle Steps Down! What Next?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Re: Rick Carlisle Steps Down! What Next? 

Post#81 » by leolozon » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:51 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:Now that Seth is flourishing in Philly, I've heard all of this "OMG! That trade was so bad" talk. I remember being on this forum last year talking about "Why the hell is THJ getting so many more minutes than Steph?" There were games were Carlisle sat Seth until he needed to sub in a free throw shooter with 12 seconds to go & the Mavs inbounding with a 3 point lead.

I remember wanting to pull my hair out with the up & down, inconsistent minutes Carlisle was giving Delon. Btw, I won my fantasy hoops league this year & Delon Wright is a big reason why. I moved Kemba Walker for him. The league almost rejected that trade, but dude was a stud in DET and then when he went to SAC he was great off the bench when Fox went down and an absolute fantasy BEAST when Haliburton also went down (reportedly Voulgaris was pounding the table for the Mavs to move up to get Haliburton this year for all of the OMG Saddiq "12.64 PER" Bey stans on this forum).

Why is it that 2 very capable players, borderline star players. Certainly starters find themselves riding the bench for Rick Carlisle? This isn't the first time this has happened. Darren Collison comes to mind. There's many examples.

I'll just say it. I'm glad to see Carlisle go. Also, just listened to MacMahon on the Lowe Post. He called Carlisle & Luka's relationship "dicey"

Yeah, I wish we saw Seth on the starting squad with Luka last year. I still don't understand why it didn't happen more. Just let them play together as much as possible. People are complaining that we need someone who can handle the ball and shoot. He did both thing. Yeah, his defense wasn't spectacular, but he's so elite at 3pt shooting that you live with it. It's better than having someone average at both. I'm perfectly fine with Seth taking 10 to 15 FGA a game, way more than I am with anyone on the current roster (other than Luka).

I didn't quite like the trade, but I wasn't against it, because I didn't watch Philly at all and was told that JRich was a great defender with untapped potential... I was disappointed to say the least.

As for RC, I would have preferred keeping him, but I wouldn't have mind if he was fired. It's just that the way things happened makes me think there's problem. Is Cuban out of control? Is Luka "uncoachable"? Or was RC just not the right fit? Was their relationship that bad? Him leaving like that is looking bad.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,011

Post#82 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:20 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Cuban is a jerk. He and his gambling moron belong together

No early 90s Mavs fan will ever call Mark Cuban a jerk. That actually makes me pretty heated. My childhood was spent watching Donald Hoge and Loren Meyer and Mike freaking Iuzzolino spare me to death and a good season was winning 20 games. And I watched all 82 every sorry losing season!! I lived for the NBA draft lottery, and every year I watched the Mavs F it up. Until they drafted Jim Jackson, but then they were so bad he wouldn't even sign here. Also, Don Carter was being a cheapskate!!!

I was floored when Don Carter was recognized as some praiseworthy former owner after the 2011 championship. Carter sat on his ass for over a decade and did nothing to make this franchise any better. He didn't spend any money. He wasn't invested. That's the real jerk.

I don't wanna hear about Mark Cuban being a jerk. He made being a Mavs fan fun, and he's done it for 22 years! Mark invented MFFL. He answers emails. He's accessible to the media and he genuinely cares about the Mavs; more than you do, more than I do. He's not perfect, but he's the perfect owner.

I won't have you slander his name, not in my presence.

You're forgetting (and disrespecting) a guy by the name of Dirk Nowitzki by heaping so much praise on Mark. Dirk was the reason for the Mavs success and title. Be heated all you want, Cuban lucked into buying a team with Dirk. And if not for Cuban, Dirk would be a multi time champion

You didn’t follow the team before Cuban bought the Mavs did you? Cuban didn’t luck into buying a team that had Dirk. That comment alone shows that you don’t know much about the history of the Mavs. Cuban had been trying to buy the Mavs for about 3-4 years before Dirk was even drafted. Ross Perot Jr wouldn’t sell the team though. Perot was trying to get funding for a new arena. He already owned the land but was trying to get funding for the arena. Once the arena was built he sold the team to Cuban. Cuban was a season ticket holder and a huge Mavs fan (who happened to be a billionaire). No joke, it seemed like the moment Cuban bought the team they started to play better.

Prior to Cuban buying the team Nash was playing terrible and literally getting boo’d off the court. Dirk was good but was far from being a great player at that time. Dirk was the 3rd option to Finley and Nash. I don’t know if it was all the amenities that Cuban provided the team or the hotel upgrades or just his energy but whatever it was the team immediately started playing better.

I give Cuban all the credit in the world for helping the Mavs become champions. He still has **** the bed so far on this current situation but overall he’s been a great owner for the Mavs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Re: Carlisle resigns as Dallas Coach 

Post#83 » by XTraderXL » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:36 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Cuban is a jerk. He and his gambling moron belong together

No early 90s Mavs fan will ever call Mark Cuban a jerk. That actually makes me pretty heated. My childhood was spent watching Donald Hoge and Loren Meyer and Mike freaking Iuzzolino spare me to death and a good season was winning 20 games. And I watched all 82 every sorry losing season!! I lived for the NBA draft lottery, and every year I watched the Mavs F it up. Until they drafted Jim Jackson, but then they were so bad he wouldn't even sign here. Also, Don Carter was being a cheapskate!!!

I was floored when Don Carter was recognized as some praiseworthy former owner after the 2011 championship. Carter sat on his ass for over a decade and did nothing to make this franchise any better. He didn't spend any money. He wasn't invested. That's the real jerk.

I don't wanna hear about Mark Cuban being a jerk. He made being a Mavs fan fun, and he's done it for 22 years! Mark invented MFFL. He answers emails. He's accessible to the media and he genuinely cares about the Mavs; more than you do, more than I do. He's not perfect, but he's the perfect owner.

This sounds like some Soviet style propaganda :lol: :lol:

Btw, Cuban is more interested in being a celebrity than an owner. He thinks he is smarter than he is, thats the real problem. Luka will eventually realize that (if he didnt already) and demand a trade and Cuban will be the one to blame.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#84 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:37 pm

This is a serious question.

Does a player of Luka's caliber need a top notch coach? We know he can playmake and run his own plays on the fly. Is it worth getting a big name coach or someone cheap will do?
Bnice5
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#85 » by Bnice5 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:24 pm

arkuo wrote:This is a serious question.

Does a player of Luka's caliber need a top notch coach? We know he can playmake and run his own plays on the fly. Is it worth getting a big name coach or someone cheap will do?

I don't think cheap is necessarily what you are looking for, but for sure more of an emphasis on player coach than X's and O's tactician... Luka will run the offense which is the hard part... Mark me down as someone that wants Mosley as the next coach... player coach by all accounts. loved already in the room. provides some element of stability and his work with Team USA gives you access to elite players to eventually want to join him here in Dallas.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#86 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:28 pm

Mr B wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

You're forgetting (and disrespecting) a guy by the name of Dirk Nowitzki by heaping so much praise on Mark. Dirk was the reason for the Mavs success and title. Be heated all you want, Cuban lucked into buying a team with Dirk. And if not for Cuban, Dirk would be a multi time champion

You didn’t follow the team before Cuban bought the Mavs did you? Cuban didn’t luck into buying a team that had Dirk. That comment alone shows that you don’t know much about the history of the Mavs. Cuban had been trying to buy the Mavs for about 3-4 years before Dirk was even drafted. Ross Perot Jr wouldn’t sell the team though. Perot was trying to get funding for a new arena. He already owned the land but was trying to get funding for the arena. Once the arena was built he sold the team to Cuban. Cuban was a season ticket holder and a huge Mavs fan (who happened to be a billionaire). No joke, it seemed like the moment Cuban bought the team they started to play better.

Prior to Cuban buying the team Nash was playing terrible and literally getting boo’d off the court. Dirk was good but was far from being a great player at that time. Dirk was the 3rd option to Finley and Nash. I don’t know if it was all the amenities that Cuban provided the team or the hotel upgrades or just his energy but whatever it was the team immediately started playing better.

I give Cuban all the credit in the world for helping the Mavs become champions. He still has **** the bed so far on this current situation but overall he’s been a great owner for the Mavs.

Yea I was all Mavs before Cuban, will be after he hopefully sells. This is the moron that traded for Antoine Walker and Jamison in the same summer, when they had Dirk already.

So yea, if not for Cuban, Dirk would have at least 2 rings
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#87 » by JD45 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:08 pm

No salary cap on coaches, so thats a good place to spend money if you have it.

Michael Jordan was a pretty good player. He seemed to think Phil Jackson was pretty important to winning championships.

I love the city, but I still need to play for Phil. I mean, I won't play unless it's for Phil.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29050123/michael-jordan-phil-jackson-jerry-krause-one-nba-player-stand-most
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Mr B
RealGM

Post#88 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:01 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Mr B wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Yea I was all Mavs before Cuban, will be after he hopefully sells. This is the moron that traded for Antoine Walker and Jamison in the same summer, when they had Dirk already.

So yea, if not for Cuban, Dirk would have at least 2 rings

Again, revisionist history. Cuban is the owner so yes technically he did trade for Walker and Jamison. Those were not his moves though. Those moves were the fault of Don Nelson. He was obsessed with having a point forward and playing position less basketball. The NBA is played that way now but at that time it wasn’t going to work. If anything Cuban was actually doing the right thing as an owner by listening to his coach and approving him to go get the guys he wanted. Unfortunately for everyone Nellie had no idea what the **** he was doing.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#89 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:03 pm

JD45 wrote:

No salary cap on coaches, so thats a good place to spend money if you have it.

Michael Jordan was a pretty good player. He seemed to think Phil Jackson was pretty important to winning championships.

I love the city, but I still need to play for Phil. I mean, I won't play unless it's for Phil.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29050123/michael-jordan-phil-jackson-jerry-krause-one-nba-player-stand-most

Definitely get the best coach available. Also definitely wait until you hire a GM and let him make the hire. Don’t put the cart before the horse.

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#90 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:51 pm

Mr B wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:You're forgetting (and disrespecting) a guy by the name of Dirk Nowitzki by heaping so much praise on Mark. Dirk was the reason for the Mavs success and title. Be heated all you want, Cuban lucked into buying a team with Dirk. And if not for Cuban, Dirk would be a multi time champion

100% accurate from Mr. B

What Cuban did that changed the franchise around is he immediately started spending money. Raef LaFrentz, Nick Van Exel, Keith Van Horn. There's a talented player who's overpaid? Bring'em to Dallas! Hello, Juwan Howard. I think with LaFrentz he actually re-signed him too.

Cuban wasn't afraid to spend money, and once that got around the league (and the Mavs started making the playoffs), players stopped giving Dallas the Sacramento treatment.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#91 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:29 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Mr B wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:You're forgetting (and disrespecting) a guy by the name of Dirk Nowitzki by heaping so much praise on Mark. Dirk was the reason for the Mavs success and title. Be heated all you want, Cuban lucked into buying a team with Dirk. And if not for Cuban, Dirk would be a multi time champion

100% accurate from Mr. B

What Cuban did that changed the franchise around is he immediately started spending money. Raef LaFrentz, Nick Van Exel, Keith Van Horn. There's a talented player who's overpaid? Bring'em to Dallas! Hello, Juwan Howard. I think with LaFrentz he actually re-signed him too.

Cuban wasn't afraid to spend money, and once that got around the league (and the Mavs started making the playoffs), players stopped giving Dallas the Sacramento treatment.

I remember when Don Carter owned the team and even after Ross Perot Jr bought the team they were flying commercial and were staying in places like the Holiday Inn. It was a freaking embarrassment.

tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#92 » by tribulations » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:36 pm

Dirk wrote:
tribulations wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Finally!!!!

This front office needed a reset big time.

Best coach in franchise history and forever grateful, but he had to go. It was time.

So excited for the next chapter

^Exactly this.

The amount of over-reactions going around over this is staggering.

I think the issue is the manner in which this happened.

Had this happened shortly after game 7 and in an "organic" way, fine.

Now... the way this happened makes the Mavs look pretty bad and incompetent.

How does it make Dallas look bad and incompetent? Serious question. I personally don't see it although frankly we're all looking at surface level information to draw conclusions from.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,950

Post#93 » by Archx » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:53 pm

tribulations wrote:
Dirk wrote:
tribulations wrote:
^Exactly this.

The amount of over-reactions going around over this is staggering.

I think the issue is the manner in which this happened.

Had this happened shortly after game 7 and in an "organic" way, fine.

Now... the way this happened makes the Mavs look pretty bad and incompetent.

How does it make Dallas look bad and incompetent? Serious question. I personally don't see it although frankly we're all looking at surface level information to draw conclusions from.

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,998

Post#94 » by HMFFL » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:25 am

Have any of you lost respect for Rick since he decided to leave?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#95 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:05 am

HMFFL wrote:Have any of you lost respect for Rick since he decided to leave?

Not really. He’s a professional, but his best years are behind him.
FIRE JASON KIDD
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#96 » by fuller4379 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:08 am

McMillan. He is just interim in Atlanta.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#97 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:21 am

Although he has a contract to honor, but cant blame him. He's been in the NBA so long that you know when you're not wanted and it's time to go.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,364

Post#98 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:01 am

I was disappointed at first, but when the reports came out of the problems with Luka, I respect him for doing the right thing for the team.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mr B
RealGM

Post#99 » by Mr B » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:48 am

I haven’t lost any respect for Carlisle. I still think he’s a great coach. I also think with some improvements he could have coached this team to another title. With that said, things had gotten kind of stale with the team. Sometimes it’s just time to move on.

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#100 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:28 pm

https://theathletic.com/2660659/2021/06/21/the-rick-carlisle-era-in-dallas-was-successful-but-for-both-him-and-the-mavericks-it-was-time-to-move-on/

Carlisle was often difficult to deal with: lashing out verbally at non-star players he disliked or having angry outbursts directed at inanimate objects behind closed doors. All humans exist in shades of gray, and that side of Carlisle doesn’t invalidate touching stories that have also been shared about him in the past days or moments where he went out of his way to connect with a beat writer for his team. But in every corner of the Mavericks organization, there’s a shared sense of relief they no longer have to deal with his worst moments.

The lengths some of you guys went to in order to defend this clown over the last year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So happy we have finally moved on
FIRE JASON KIDD

Return to Dallas Mavericks