Tank watch

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Tank watch 

Post#201 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:45 am

jbk1234 wrote:
tundraknight wrote:Finally a successful tank.

I’m so happy to be in the Top 3.

I’ll gladly take either Jalen Green or Evan Mobley assuming Cade goes #1.
Agreed, with the caveat that if someone decides they want to jump up and grab Suggs, I'll listen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

You need to come around to the idea that drafting Suggs is an upgrade to Garland.lol
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#202 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:34 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
tundraknight wrote:Finally a successful tank.

I’m so happy to be in the Top 3.

I’ll gladly take either Jalen Green or Evan Mobley assuming Cade goes #1.
Agreed, with the caveat that if someone decides they want to jump up and grab Suggs, I'll listen.

You need to come around to the idea that drafting Suggs is an upgrade to Garland.lol

And if it's not? If Suggs also turns out to be a bit of a liability on defense at the NBA? People projected Sexton to be a good defender when he was drafted. Because there's no other area I can see Suggs being better at over Garland. I'm actually worried that Suggs played on a college team that was substantially better than any of the other top guys and you could have a potential AL QB bust situation.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#203 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:55 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Agreed, with the caveat that if someone decides they want to jump up and grab Suggs, I'll listen.

And if it's not? If Suggs also turns out to be a bit of a liability on defense at the NBA? People projected Sexton to be a good defender when he was drafted. Because there's no other area I can see Suggs being better at over Garland. I'm actually worried that Suggs played on a college team that was substantially better than any of the other top guys and you could have a potential AL QB bust situation.

I like Kuminga or Barnes and drafting a "shooter" or getting one by trading Cedi tbh, but this gm could do anything
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#204 » by tundraknight » Wed Oct 6, 2021 1:48 am

The Cavaliers are once again projected to be one of the worst teams in the NBA according to the pre season ESPN Power Rankings.

Currently ranked 27th. Only the Magic, Thunder, and Rockets are ranked worse.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32271342/nba-power-rankings-preseason-edition-favorites-heading-training-camp

Obviously I know it can be depressing to think about the Cavaliers losing a lot and the lottery standings before the season even starts, but I have a feeling this might feel like deja vu from the past couple of seasons.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#205 » by jbk1234 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 1:27 pm

tundraknight wrote:The Cavaliers are once again projected to be one of the worst teams in the NBA according to the pre season ESPN Power Rankings.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32271342/nba-power-rankings-preseason-edition-favorites-heading-training-camp

Obviously I know it can be depressing to think about the Cavaliers losing a lot and the lottery standings before the season even starts, but I have a feeling this might feel like deja vu from the past couple of seasons.
With the addition of a starting caliber wing, I could see that changing dramatically. It's just that we're really thin at the wing so we're entirely dependent upon on internal growth from guys like Windler, Okoro, and Wade. Cedi could have a bit of a bounce back year. It's hard to feel good about having to rely on those possibilities.

Maybe Love contributes enough off the bench that a protected 1st and him return Harris and Ross in season.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,648

Post#206 » by toooskies » Wed Oct 6, 2021 3:44 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
tundraknight wrote:The Cavaliers are once again projected to be one of the worst teams in the NBA according to the pre season ESPN Power Rankings.

With the addition of a starting caliber wing, I could see that changing dramatically. It's just that we're really thin at the wing so we're entirely dependent upon on internal growth from guys like Windler, Okoro, and Wade. Cedi could have a bit of a bounce back year. It's hard to feel good about having to rely on those possibilities.

Maybe Love contributes enough off the bench that a protected 1st and him return Harris and Ross in season.

We are actually less thin at SF this year because you don't expect as many PG injuries to shift Sexton to PG and Okoro over to SG. Whether that's a positive or a negative, there's a reasonable expectation that we're not shifting everyone's matchup if someone gets hurt.

To use Win Shares as a crude comparison, last year's performances of Rubio, Pangos, Valentine and Markkanen should add at least 5-6 win shares over the contributions of Exum, Delly, Dotson, Martin, Thomas, and Nance. Mobley, if he has a rookie year somewhere between Mo Bamba and Derrick Favors (which would be a disappointment), adds at least a win share over Hartenstein as backup center. A full year of Allen adds at least the contributions that Drummond made. The season is 10 games longer, so we'd expect 3 more wins just from that.

This should be a 30-win team even if we get no development from the young guys or positive regression from Osman/Love, unless health becomes a bigger problem than it was last year. Competent backups matter!
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,379

Post#207 » by JonFromVA » Wed Oct 6, 2021 4:14 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

We are actually less thin at SF this year because you don't expect as many PG injuries to shift Sexton to PG and Okoro over to SG. Whether that's a positive or a negative, there's a reasonable expectation that we're not shifting everyone's matchup if someone gets hurt.

To use Win Shares as a crude comparison, last year's performances of Rubio, Pangos, Valentine and Markkanen should add at least 5-6 win shares over the contributions of Exum, Delly, Dotson, Martin, Thomas, and Nance. Mobley, if he has a rookie year somewhere between Mo Bamba and Derrick Favors (which would be a disappointment), adds at least a win share over Hartenstein as backup center. A full year of Allen adds at least the contributions that Drummond made. The season is 10 games longer, so we'd expect 3 more wins just from that.

This should be a 30-win team even if we get no development from the young guys or positive regression from Osman/Love, unless health becomes a bigger problem than it was last year. Competent backups matter!

If we're a lottery team again, I presume we'll be looking for our wing in the draft or via trade with that draft pick.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers