Q4: Waning Team
4%

Total votes: 24

ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post-Mortem: 2020-21 Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#1 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:02 am

I thought this would be a good idea to do for all of the eliminated teams. Each day I will post one team that did not make the playoffs and any playoff teams that were eliminated that day. Answer as many of the following questions as you'd like:

GM: Change or keep?
Coach: Change or keep?
Relative to expectations, how did they fare this year?
Rising, falling, or treadmill?
If you were in charge, what would you do this offseason?

Notes:
Players under contract next year:
Kevin Love ($33m)
Taurean Prince ($15m)
Larry Nance Jr. ($11m)
Cedi Osman ($8m)
Darius Garland ($7m)
Isaac Okoro ($7m)
Collin Sexton ($6m)
Dylan Windler ($2m)
Damyean Dotson ($2m)
Dean Wade ($2m)

Team Options:
None

Player Options:
Isaiah Hartenstein ($2m)

Free Agents:
Jarrett Allen
Matthew Dellavedova
Jeremiah Martin
Lamar Stevens
Brodric Thomas
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Re: Post-Mortem: 2020-21 Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#2 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:43 am

GM: I'm a bit torn on this because they have gotten better at getting some young promising assets recently. At the beginning of his tenure, Altman traded a prime asset in Kyrie Irving for a broken down IT. At least kick the tires before making the deal. The Wade and Rose signings didn't work out either, although Rose has gone on to show that maybe his problem was just a combination of time and place. He still had game. Then there was the Love extension. The Cavs bid against themselves and that contract has been nothing but a headache ever since. Altman is young, though. Could it be that he's growing? Sexton, Garland, and Okoro all show promise. Maybe he's getting better at his job. Or maybe he's still the GM that makes monumental mistakes.

Coach: I liked J.B. Bickerstaff with the Grizzlies. It looks kind of bad that they made a big jump the year after he left, but that has a LOT to do with Ja Morant. Like his dad, I think Bickerstaff is a great developmental coach and he gets teams playing the right way. Keep him.

Expectations: Expectations were low. Nobody expected them to do anything this year and that's exactly what they did or didn't do.

Offseason: Apart from luring LeBron back for a third stint, they're likely not going to get anyone that puts them into immediate contender status. Keep drafting well and playing the youngsters.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,593

Post#3 » by Roger Murdock » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:33 am

GM & Coach - Obviously they are being kept for one more season at this point so you have a prove it year. Even if the Cavs do well next year and make the playin or get a 7/8 seed JB Bickerstaff is a turnkey coach at best. He gets the guys to play hard and they have improved but there is absolutely no system in place and the guys just do whatever they want. If the team moves forward I can envision a circumstance where Altman lasts a while longer but JB gets canned. Also part of the problem is JBs dad is a Sr. Advisor so you have to fire him too.

Altman has drafted well (Sexton is one of the 3 best players at his spot, Garland is the best player from his spot, and Okoro shows promise and I dont see any obvious misses there). The Kyrie trade didnt work well but theres another world where IT/Crowder add something to the 2018 team and we get Luka instead of Sexton.

Altmans real problem is he maxed Love and f'ed up hiring Beiline, and F'd up hiring Bickerstaff.

I'll feel super optimistic about our future if we get a top-3 lotto pick. Mobley, Cunningham, and Green would be perfect fits with the roster.

For now, my focus is trying to improve. If something comes up that makes sense to flip Sexton I'd do it (maybe WIseman + 4 from GS?) or a package with Bridges from CHA? Otherwise, focus on Garland/Okoro/Sexton/Allen + the pick. Hopefully thats one of the big 3 guys.

They don't have much flexibility right now. I'd love to unload Love but hes hard to move. Maybe KP for Love swap?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#4 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:36 am

Roger Murdock wrote:GM & Coach - Obviously they are being kept for one more season at this point so you have a prove it year. Even if the Cavs do well next year and make the playin or get a 7/8 seed JB Bickerstaff is a turnkey coach at best. He gets the guys to play hard and they have improved but there is absolutely no system in place and the guys just do whatever they want. If the team moves forward I can envision a circumstance where Altman lasts a while longer but JB gets canned. Also part of the problem is JBs dad is a Sr. Advisor so you have to fire him too.

Altman has drafted well (Sexton is one of the 3 best players at his spot, Garland is the best player from his spot, and Okoro shows promise and I dont see any obvious misses there). The Kyrie trade didnt work well but theres another world where IT/Crowder add something to the 2018 team and we get Luka instead of Sexton.

Altmans real problem is he maxed Love and f'ed up hiring Beiline, and F'd up hiring Bickerstaff.

I'll feel super optimistic about our future if we get a top-3 lotto pick. Mobley, Cunningham, and Green would be perfect fits with the roster.

For now, my focus is trying to improve. If something comes up that makes sense to flip Sexton I'd do it (maybe WIseman + 4 from GS?) or a package with Bridges from CHA? Otherwise, focus on Garland/Okoro/Sexton/Allen + the pick. Hopefully thats one of the big 3 guys.

They don't have much flexibility right now. I'd love to unload Love but hes hard to move. Maybe KP for Love swap?

Porzingis for Love is interesting. Would KP fit that well with Allen though? Seems like KP needs to play C.

So if you draft Green, do you start him and bring Sexton off the bench? Or start the season with Green as 6th man?
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#5 » by LivingLegend » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:12 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:GM & Coach - Obviously they are being kept for one more season at this point so you have a prove it year. Even if the Cavs do well next year and make the playin or get a 7/8 seed JB Bickerstaff is a turnkey coach at best. He gets the guys to play hard and they have improved but there is absolutely no system in place and the guys just do whatever they want. If the team moves forward I can envision a circumstance where Altman lasts a while longer but JB gets canned. Also part of the problem is JBs dad is a Sr. Advisor so you have to fire him too.

Porzingis for Love is interesting. Would KP fit that well with Allen though? Seems like KP needs to play C.

So if you draft Green, do you start him and bring Sexton off the bench? Or start the season with Green as 6th man?

I would start Green as the 6th man and give him time to adjust. If the Cavs keep Sexton, have him switch roles with Green after his rookie year.

As far as Porzingis, doesnt he play the same 'stretch 4' type of game Love does? I dont see why he couldnt play PF next to Jarrett Allen. That would at least give the Cavs a whole lot of size to on the backend to makeup for their height problems with their guards.

KP is also the type of lottery ticket the Cavs need to take a chance on. Love needs a change of scenery and might benefit both parties.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:38 am

LivingLegend wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I would start Green as the 6th man and give him time to adjust. If the Cavs keep Sexton, have him switch roles with Green after his rookie year.

As far as Porzingis, doesnt he play the same 'stretch 4' type of game Love does? I dont see why he couldnt play PF next to Jarrett Allen. That would at least give the Cavs a whole lot of size to on the backend to makeup for their height problems with their guards.

KP is also the type of lottery ticket the Cavs need to take a chance on. Love needs a change of scenery and might benefit both parties.

He could play PF fine on offense, but can either of those guys chase around small 4s? Lots of teams play wings at the 4. I know the Mavs usually play a C with KP, but some of those guys can guard on the perimeter, like Kleber is pretty good at it. Not sure about Powell.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#7 » by LivingLegend » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:43 am

bwgood77 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

He could play PF fine on offense, but can either of those guys chase around small 4s? Lots of teams play wings at the 4. I know the Mavs usually play a C with KP, but some of those guys can guard on the perimeter, like Kleber is pretty good at it. Not sure about Powell.

No idea to be honest. The current Cavs roster construction is a *** show with a bunch of talent (and possibly Green on the way) but none of it seem to fit together since they are determined to make the Sexton/Garland backcourt a thing. All its doing is playing people out of position (Sexton at SG and Okoro at SF) and creating mismatches everywhere not in their own favor.

They need a 2-way SF in the worst possible way to tie everything together but there are none at the top of the draft (again) where they pick. Which is why if any of Jaylen Brown, Brandon Ingram, ect are made available--I expect that Cavs to make a trade like that using the #3 pick in a hurry.

There is a Shaq sized hole in the middle of this roster. Its Garland/Sexton/Okoro standing on one side <------gap------> Love/Nance/Allen standing on the other. They need a good SF to bridge that gap and have for years.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 9,523

Post#8 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:17 am

Team is in no man's land (not quite Orlando, but not much better). Young talent that will need to be paid soon and no real winning to show for it. Perfect team to move young players who blossom elsewhere.

I absolutely would not overpay Jarrett Allen and I like him. Love, I would just stretch him and get him the hell out of there if no one will trade for him.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#9 » by Richard4444 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:41 am

Draft: Green
Free Agency: They will be out of cap space. Also, they are not a really attractive franchise.
RFA players: They will try to land Allen. But 20M/y for a player like him could be a bad move.
Trade: Lance is a good name that could land a mid-pick/nice asset. Love and probable Prince are not positive contracts. Sexton should be moved if they draft a guard because he would turn into the 6th player demanding a 90M/4 kind contract in 2022.

Projected Rotation
Garland/Sexton
Green/Osman
Okoro/Prince/Windler
Love/Nance/Wade
Allen (RFA)/Heistestein (PO)
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#10 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:37 am

*Fire GM
*Fire HC
*Met low expectations
*treadmill

*Altman has done so much damage to this franchise so it's going to take a lot of work. First thing I do is sit Love down and ask him if he's trying to get out or is he willing to stay and try and rehab his game and image. If he wants out, I move him. It won't return much if anything and most definitely not a player or pick as valuable as a motivated Love, but there's no point in him being here if he's not committed. I tell him we're moving Sexton who should never have been the pick and it'll be addition by subtraction. Maybe moving the high usage chucker who plays no defense and has abysmal BBIQ will improve relations with Love. Hopefully I get at least a late 1st for him to help in the rebuild. It's time to hand the keys to Garland. In order, depending on who is still available and what Love does, I take Green, Kuminga or Mobley. It depends on interviews and workouts as well. Kuminga could be the desperately needed face of the franchise that puts butts in seats and since Allen can be kept (RFA rights) a center (really he's a 4) like Mobley isn't a pressing need though he's likely a surer thing than Kuminga. It's a tough call. Could just take Mobley and let Allen walk or play Mobley at the 4. There's options and it will be interesting. Everyone else is on the trading block. Depending on who goes #3 and whether Allen is retained dictates my FA approach. If I take Kuminga then I'm likely keeping Allen and looking for shooting so I offer Otto Porter, Olynyk or Ibaka a contract. If I take Mobley I'll want to add a wing so I offer RFA Tyler Bey a contract or maybe get a wing back in the Sexton trade. Either way, there will be major changes coming to CLE and I'll have this ship turned around in one offseason.

Most likely starting fives going into next season:

Garland
Okoro
Kuminga
Love
Allen

or

Garland
Okoro
Osman
Love
Mobley
Blacksheep25
Rookie
And1: 1,301

Post#11 » by Blacksheep25 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:57 am

The best part of getting the third pick is the likely trade offers they very likely are offered by multiple teams. Like any talk of Kuminga, who is a definite tier below the top 4 guys, comes via some trade with Orlando for their two picks to move to 3 if they so desire. Or OKC emptying their arsenal in order to attempt to move to 1. They’d need to give Detroit a boatload or picks and also offer the third as there is a clear tier 1 among the top 4 players.

As far as the moves. I’d fire Altman. Give Bickerstaff one more year. See who is appearing to fall to 3. If Green, move Sexton. If Mobley, I think you have to package Allen with possibly Love. Preferably Love going out is attached to any move if it even provides a lesser return to rid themselves of the contract.

As far as simply drafting and keeping the player available at 3, it’s a difficult call. Mobley strikes me as more of a sure thing. Green seems like a sure offensive player, possibly a great one, but he plays the same position as out only half way decent perimeter defender in Okoro, who likely doesn’t have much value.

Very tough decisions to be made.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#12 » by yoyoboy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:32 pm

GM:

Give him one more year. If he doesn't nail the pick here, he's definitely gone. Also either needs to find a way to make Sexton/Garland/this pick which could be another guard somehow all work or make a trade (likely Sexton) that brings back a young talent in exhange.

Coach:

I'm not a JB fan at all but this team can't just keep recycling through coaches. It's terrible for the culture. You almost have to give him another year.

Relative to expectations, how did they fare this year?

Right around where I expected. You knew Love would go down at some point, Drummond is a cancer, and the team as a whole is young and just not very talented. Garland showed me some stuff this year I didn't expect of him after a terrible rookie year, and Sexton continues to improve, but those were about the only bright spots. Okoro was clearly not a guy you take with a top 5 draft pick.

Rising, falling, or treadmill?

I say rising just because I really do think we have some good pieces in Garland, Sexton, Nance, and Allen, with the opportunity to take a real game changer in this draft. It all depends on a few factors though. 1) Hitting a home run with this pick, 2) What we do with Sexton, 3) Not overpaying Jarrett Allen.

If you were in charge, what would you do this offseason?

Trade Sexton, Okoro, 2023 FRP (top 3 protected), and Love for Ben Simmons. If they don't care about the 2023 first rounder, maybe replace Love and the pick with an Allen S&T if that's more appealing. Figured Philly might want to try to make use of Love though. Draft Jalen Suggs with the number 3 pick. If he wants more than $15 million a year, just let Jarrett Allen walk but a sign and trade for an expiring and an asset would be cool if possible. Assuming Allen walks, the team has $15 million in cap space next year, and I would like to see us get some nice veterans on short-term deals to help the young guys grow, preferably some shooters. Expel Cedi Osman from the rotation because I can't bare to watch him play basketball anymore.

Garland / Delly
Suggs / Ellington?
Prince / Ariza?
Simmons / Wade
Nance / Hartenstein

That team is a few years and a Prince-replacement away from being a really good squad in my opinion. Obviously you'd hope to improve the bench with time too. Suggs, Simmons, and Nance gives you some strong defenders. The passing between Garland, Suggs, Simmons, and Nance is awesome. Garland would have to really develop into one of the league's best shooters while Suggs becomes very good in order to offset Simmons' lack thereof though. Nance has steadily become a decent stretch big. We would need a sharpshooter at the 3, so the goal would be in 2023 after Prince's contract expires and the team has cap space to add a great player.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#13 » by jwise44 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:47 pm

If the rockets take green (which I’m coming around to being my preference)…how does that affect Cleveland’s decision? Regarding Allen most specifically. 100 mill for Allen and then drafting Mobley?

I think that early in the draft it’s still best to draft bpa and worry about fit later, but do you try and sign and trade Allen? Or see if they can coexist?

I like Cleveland’s future right now (keep sexland together)…Sexton Keeps getting better, nance is super underrated, garland looks like a stud, okoro looks good, top 3 pick, Allen willing to resign, love 1 less year on his contract
Wadzup
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#14 » by Wadzup » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:32 am

I think a Cavs-Philly deal with Love-Simmons can be beneficial for both teams.

Philly is in win-now mode and Love does fit with what they have assembled. Defensively, Philly is not losing anything because Thybulle can fill that Simmons role and Love seems like a great fit next to Embiid.

For Cleveland, they got a small backcourt but Sexton-Garland can score, it's the defensive end they need to address since that backcourt is undersized. Simmons fills that role.

Plus, Love-Simmons straight up can be done today salary wise. Of course, Philly is going to want more, but I would think adding in the No. 3 pick (or one of Garland or Sexton ... and Cavs keep that pick) would be pretty enticing for Philadelphia. Love fits and keeps them on their timeline and they would be getting back a talented young piece for the future.

Simmons fits the Cavs timeline and if they can off Love (even with costing a young asset to get that done), they still have 2 of the three between Sexton, Garland, No. 3 pick ... and they get Ben Simmons, who probably fits on this roster as well as he could on any in the NBA.

Win-win for me.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,288

Post#15 » by baldur » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:38 am

so evan mobley or jalen green? I dont see they will select any other prospect.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#16 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:00 am

Wadzup wrote:I think a Cavs-Philly deal with Love-Simmons can be beneficial for both teams.

Philly is in win-now mode and Love does fit with what they have assembled. Defensively, Philly is not losing anything because Thybulle can fill that Simmons role and Love seems like a great fit next to Embiid.

For Cleveland, they got a small backcourt but Sexton-Garland can score, it's the defensive end they need to address since that backcourt is undersized. Simmons fills that role.

Plus, Love-Simmons straight up can be done today salary wise. Of course, Philly is going to want more, but I would think adding in the No. 3 pick (or one of Garland or Sexton ... and Cavs keep that pick) would be pretty enticing for Philadelphia. Love fits and keeps them on their timeline and they would be getting back a talented young piece for the future.

Simmons fits the Cavs timeline and if they can off Love (even with costing a young asset to get that done), they still have 2 of the three between Sexton, Garland, No. 3 pick ... and they get Ben Simmons, who probably fits on this roster as well as he could on any in the NBA.

Win-win for me.

Based on what I saw in the post season either one of Darius Garland or Collin Sexton straight up for Ben Simmons would be a overpay. I would offer Love in a 1 for 1 trade just for a change of scenery for both players.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#17 » by kobyz » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:42 am

They need to draft Suggs, he's like James Harden with defense and better leadership, with his size will be great fit with Sexton in the backcourt and great pick and roll partner with Allen...
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#18 » by DroseReturnChi » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:00 am

kobyz wrote:They need to draft Suggs, he's like James Harden with defense and better leadership, with his size will be great fit with Sexton in the backcourt and great pick and roll partner with Allen...

except he is nothing like james and fit with sexton, garland is terrible they need green who is lavine clone.
cavs didnt tank properly like detroit I dont like their entire roster. they need to trade garland/sexton/okoro for future unprotected picks and hit green as top 20 player while drafting cade 2.0 next yr.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Wadzup
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#19 » by Wadzup » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:10 pm

Based on what I saw in the post season either one of Darius Garland or Collin Sexton straight up for Ben Simmons would be a overpay. I would offer Love in a 1 for 1 trade just for a change of scenery for both players.

If you are the Cavs, you do that without hesitation, but as much as Simmons' value is sunk right now, it's still way higher than Love straight up. Simmons isn't quite the sunk cost that Love is being that he is eight years younger.

Personally, I would bite the bullet and do No. 3 over either Sexton or Garland, only because both have shown they have plus-NBA ability. I think both Suggs and Green will get at least to that level, and both could be better than either Sexton/Garland, but there is some risk since they haven't proven it yet.

Plus, I think adding Simmons solves a lot of the issues the Garland/Sexton backcourt brings, mainly defensive liabilities. But running a lineup of:

1. Garland
2. Sexton
3. Simmons
4. Nance
5. Allen

looks pretty intriguing. Simmons, Nance and Allen are not defensive liabilities and Simmons has the versatility to guard pretty much whatever the toughest matchup the other team presents. Nance can space the floor along with Garland/Sexton, so it doesn't clog things up having two limited offensive players in the starting lineup. Okoro would come of the bench as the sixth man.

It's not a lineup that is challenging for a top 5 seed, but a couple more minor moves and they should be able to assemble a 8-9 man rotation that should at least be in the playoff conversation, which has to be the goal now in year 4 of the second post-LeBron teardown/rebuild.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#20 » by The_Hater » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:03 pm

Wadzup wrote:

If you are the Cavs, you do that without hesitation, but as much as Simmons' value is sunk right now, it's still way higher than Love straight up. Simmons isn't quite the sunk cost that Love is being that he is eight years younger.

Personally, I would bite the bullet and do No. 3 over either Sexton or Garland, only because both have shown they have plus-NBA ability. I think both Suggs and Green will get at least to that level, and both could be better than either Sexton/Garland, but there is some risk since they haven't proven it yet.

Plus, I think adding Simmons solves a lot of the issues the Garland/Sexton backcourt brings, mainly defensive liabilities. But running a lineup of:

1. Garland
2. Sexton
3. Simmons
4. Nance
5. Allen

looks pretty intriguing. Simmons, Nance and Allen are not defensive liabilities and Simmons has the versatility to guard pretty much whatever the toughest matchup the other team presents. Nance can space the floor along with Garland/Sexton, so it doesn't clog things up having two limited offensive players in the starting lineup. Okoro would come of the bench as the sixth man.

It's not a lineup that is challenging for a top 5 seed, but a couple more minor moves and they should be able to assemble a 8-9 man rotation that should at least be in the playoff conversation, which has to be the goal now in year 4 of the second post-LeBron teardown/rebuild.

Sexton for Simmons isn’t an overpay. Sexton isn’t exactly full of plus skills and has never been considered for the all star team or all NBA team.

The Cavs need to improve the team defense and ball movement badly and adding Simmons and subtracting Sexton would help do this. Plus a full season of Allen in the middle and then they draft their Sexton replacement at #3 instead of overpaying him as a free agent.

It almost makes too muck sense for me, although Sexton isn’t exactly a Darryle Morey type of player. He might not like this too much. Or he might prefer Garland.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers