VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#81 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:17 am

Whole Truth wrote:
flaco wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Pretty well said. It is hard to gauge our FO in terms of players. Maybe they'd let him go in order to get something for him and utilize space in the 2022 offseason if we don't extend JJJ. Maybe we extend JV, JJJ, and Anderson and look to be an over the cap team the next half a decade.

I don't see who the target would be, but if Memphis made a play for a third star and the other team preferred a Boston pick or whatever you guys package together over Anderson then maybe it gets done that way?

Any chance the Grizzlies settle for a future second rounder if the Celtics absorb Anderson's salary via their TPE? The Griz would create enough cap space to go after a max free agent this offseason.

Anderson was arguably the Grizz best player for a good portion of the season, The ultimate intangible player, high BBIQ, unselfish, solid defense etc..

Would you trade one of your most effective & winning players for a 2nd round pick, simply for cap space?.

Where if Memphis wanted cap space they only need to exercise Winslow's team option & drop his 15m opening up 20m+ to spend.

Memphis will need far better incentive than cap space & a 2nd round pick to move on from Anderson.

Yeah I think Memphis would want more than a 2nd and cap space. I don't see a 30m free agent who, plus a Boston 2nd, would be better for our team over a 20m free agent and Anderson.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#82 » by E S V L » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:35 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
flaco wrote:Any chance the Grizzlies settle for a future second rounder if the Celtics absorb Anderson's salary via their TPE? The Griz would create enough cap space to go after a max free agent this offseason.

Anderson was arguably the Grizz best player for a good portion of the season, The ultimate intangible player, high BBIQ, unselfish, solid defense etc..

Would you trade one of your most effective & winning players for a 2nd round pick, simply for cap space?.

Where if Memphis wanted cap space they only need to exercise Winslow's team option & drop his 15m opening up 20m+ to spend.

Memphis will need far better incentive than cap space & a 2nd round pick to move on from Anderson.

Yeah I think Memphis would want more than a 2nd and cap space. I don't see a 30m free agent who, plus a Boston 2nd, would be better for our team over a 20m free agent and Anderson.

I share these sentiments. Kyle should be resigned unless he brings something really valuable in return. Not less than a B+ level prospect/or top-15 pick.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#83 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:10 am

Boston trade - (Brown, Thompson, R. Williams) receive - (Beal, Anderson)

Washington trade - (Beal) receive - (3J, Melton, Thompson, Memphis #17, Utah 22 top 6, GS 2024 top 4, 2 rights to swap)

Memphis trade (3J, Anderson, Melton, Memphis #17, Utah 22, GS 24, 2 rights to swap) receive - (Brown, R. Williams)

drop Winslows contract, sign PJ Tucker.

Jonas / Williams - Tillman
Tucker / Clarke - Tillie
Brown / Bane - Konchar
Brooks / Allen - ?
Ja / Jones - ?
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#84 » by eminence » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:41 pm

GS fan who doesn't hate the core of Wiseman for Anderson, but think it'd have to be a current young guy rather than the '24 pick. Ideally I'd like Wiseman for Anderson/Bane/Tillman, but think GS would have to include some extra value there.
I bought a boat.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#85 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:47 pm

eminence wrote:GS fan who doesn't hate the core of Wiseman for Anderson, but think it'd have to be a current young guy rather than the '24 pick. Ideally I'd like Wiseman for Anderson/Bane/Tillman, but think GS would have to include some extra value there.

If Washington has any interest in Wiseman.

I'd counter your offer with Anderson, Bane, Clarke.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#86 » by eminence » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:05 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
eminence wrote:GS fan who doesn't hate the core of Wiseman for Anderson, but think it'd have to be a current young guy rather than the '24 pick. Ideally I'd like Wiseman for Anderson/Bane/Tillman, but think GS would have to include some extra value there.

If Washington has any interest in Wiseman.

I'd counter your offer with Anderson, Bane, Clarke.

That trio would be fine for me too, though I'd be less inclined to include additional value (I think GS would have to send a guy back to match salary with Clarke making a bit more, but don't think that's a big deal).
I bought a boat.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#87 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:06 pm

GS trade - (Wiseman, Paschall) for (Anderson, Bane, Clarke)

Washington trade - (Beal) for (Wiseman, Melton, Paschall, Utah 22, GS 24, 2 rights to swap)

Boston trade - (Brown, R. Williams) for (Beal)

Memphis trade - (Anderson, Bane, Clarke, Melton, Utah 22, GS 24, 2 rights to swap) for (Brown, R.Williams)

Jonas / R. Williams - Tillman - 3J
3J / Tillman - Tillie
Brown / Konchar ?
Brooks / Allen - ?
Ja / Jones - ?

Use #17 on a PF/C (Garuba) or SG/SF (Christopher) or PG/SG (Dosunmu)
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#88 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:58 am

Whole Truth wrote:GS trade - (Wiseman, Paschall) for (Anderson, Bane, Clarke)

Washington trade - (Beal) for (Wiseman, Melton, Paschall, Utah 22, GS 24, 2 rights to swap)

Boston trade - (Brown, R. Williams) for (Beal)

Memphis trade - (Anderson, Bane, Clarke, Melton, Utah 22, GS 24, 2 rights to swap) for (Brown, R.Williams)

Jonas / R. Williams - Tillman - 3J
3J / Tillman - Tillie
Brown / Konchar ?
Brooks / Allen - ?
Ja / Jones - ?

Use #17 on a PF/C (Garuba) or SG/SF (Christopher) or PG/SG (Dosunmu)

Memphis may need to add one of their own future picks outright and #17, but I like where your head is at with this!
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#89 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:42 am

VCfor3 wrote:Memphis may need to add one of their own future picks outright and #17, but I like where your head is at with this!

Reading the Washington board, some of their fans seem to have some interest in a Wiseman/Beal swap where I doubt GS will give up their Minnesota pick & already owe their future pick to Memphis for them to deal direct ... Boston fans seem to be leaning more towards Dame now than Beal also .. where I'm less certain what Portland might prefer in a packaged deal but this is the frame work of the concept.

- Rebuild package with better control than Browns 3yrs to either Washington or Portland who would be trading their franchise player.

- Franchise player/believed better fit than Brown with Tatum going to Boston

- Memphis pays the price for Brown's fit with not just position but teams timeline & contention goals

- If Portland like Washington has interest in Wiseman ... I'd entertain the GS fans Anderson based trade to obtain Brown, which would allow Memphis to keep 3J's PF/C versatility & upside, where Wiseman is a C.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#90 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:57 pm

People on the GB are talking about SImmons & Goberts value going down. Then Mention they would take Green over both in the playoffs.

Green's range is all but gone, leaving just his defense & playmaking.

The fact that Simmons would never replace Embiid at C... his low value to Philly could be a buy low candidate for a team looking for a small ball C.

If Philly decide to sell low on Simmons. I'd take a crack at him where he'd be Memphis defensive small ball C. Who can defend teams that play 5 out effectively being one of the leagues best perimeter defender with size, handle the ball/play make, run the floor effectively with Ja in transition..

Memphis can utilize him at SF/PF next to Jonas/3J as a point forward depending on matchup as one of the leagues best perimeter defenders which compliments one or both Jonas & Ja as offensive options. The concern becomes his range (Winslow), which would be helped by Jonas improving his already decent range & willingness to take those shots & 3J returning healthy & back to his 40% range.

Can Memphis make Simmons lack of range work, where Winslow failed because theoretically, Jenkins could have played Winslow at C to help close out on Jazz shooters/extra perimeter defender.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#91 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:38 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Memphis may need to add one of their own future picks outright and #17, but I like where your head is at with this!

Reading the Washington board, some of their fans seem to have some interest in a Wiseman/Beal swap where I doubt GS will give up their Minnesota pick & already owe their future pick to Memphis for them to deal direct ... Boston fans seem to be leaning more towards Dame now than Beal also .. where I'm less certain what Portland might prefer in a packaged deal but this is the frame work of the concept.

- Rebuild package with better control than Browns 3yrs to either Washington or Portland who would be trading their franchise player.

- Franchise player/believed better fit than Brown with Tatum going to Boston

- Memphis pays the price for Brown's fit with not just position but teams timeline & contention goals

- If Portland like Washington has interest in Wiseman ... I'd entertain the GS fans Anderson based trade to obtain Brown, which would allow Memphis to keep 3J's PF/C versatility & upside, where Wiseman is a C.

Yes but we have to make sure we outbid other teams as well. GSW may very well offer up both the MIN pick and Wiseman. NOP could use all their picks plus a couple young guys (much lesser prospects than Wiseman). OKC has a massive treasure trove of picks and a couple young guys they could utilize. We'd have to outbid some stiff competition and we ultimately may not be able to get it done. OKC is ready to swoop in and grab any young talent that shakes loose so I see them as our biggest threat in any big move.

And yeah if Simmons shakes loose I wouldn't mind going after him with a non-Ja/JJJ package
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#92 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:22 pm

From the trade board, some other poster has the same idea.

"Re: Simmons's fit in Golden State: The whole 'Draymond can't shoot, so they need a ton of shooting around him' thing has turned into a caricature of itself and completely ignores that the Warriors do just fine with Green and Looney on the floor together. Now imagine Simmons-Green at the 4/5 instead of Green-Looney. A small-ball lineup of Steph-Klay-[random decent shooter, e.g., Korkmaz]-Simmons-Green would -- in a GSW constant motion offense -- have defenses chasing the shooters around and giving up open cuts to Simmons, and -- when the defenses adjust and cut Simmons off -- they would lose track of a shooter or two and give up good looks from 3".

Unless Ja comes back with more consistency from 3. Memphis isn't GS & Ja isn't Curry..

Can Memphis make Simmons who's 6'11 & the leagues best perimeter defender their small ball C?.

The negative - Memphis are not a consistent 3pt shooting team, though they have shooters on roster.

The positive - The defense & speed at C Simmons would allow Memphis to play at in transition.

Regular season- SF/PF/C.
Playoffs- C in small ball defensive scenarios

Now because of his contract & risk there has to be a limit to what's offered.. What would Memphis be willing to offer for that risk/reward ?.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#93 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm

Pros & Cons of Simmons for Memphis.

Pros

- Simmons is a 1st team All-NBA defender, arguably the best perimeter defender in the league with the size & capability to play C.
- He can guard 1-5 at a high level.
- 5th in the league in assists
- 4th in FG percentage
- 7th in steals.
- One of the best rebounding wings in the league.
- Speed/athleticism at C would allow Memphis to play at an incredibly fast pace, should nullify some of his shooting woes.
- He's only 24
- 3J is more perimeter oriented than Embiid, so his driving & passing lanes should be clearer if teams respect 3J's shooting.
- My selling point on his large contract/risk - both Memphis & Jazz lacked the foot speed at C these past playoffs to defend 4/5 out.

Tell me about his shooting/FT's. Imagine you're 6'11" C helping to hold one of the more offensively gifted PG's in Young to 5-23 shooting and 2-11 from deep as he did for Philly, then think about what Memphis struggled to do vs Utah.

Cons

- Memphis have shooters but they're inconsistent.
- To play Simmons in that GS Green/Looney small ball role, Ja is not Curry, he needs at least some consistency from range & 3J needs to get back to his 40% on volume self..
- He's chocked in big games offensively
- Poor FT shooting, hack a Shack
- No range, poor spacing

How much does playing him in the post as a playmaking C, having no Embiid, help with his lack of spacing ? I draw reference to Giannis as I have before, difference is Ja would be the primary ball handler, so teams can't box out/sag off the primary ball handler like they do Giannis. Secondary, Point C.

I'd rest money Philly in their drop coverage will regret trading him... reason Jonas best net pairing is with Brooks ball pressure.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#94 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Memphis trade - (Anderson, Jones, Winslow, (Utah pick?)) for (Simmons)

Simmons utilized at SF/PF where Memphis need a big wing defender, (one of the leagues best) during regular season & when 3J shifts to C. Small ball 5 in the playoffs, when team play 5 out vs Memphis. Teams would sacrifice paint defense to go small which this transition team & Ja would punish off of defensive stops.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#95 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:00 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Memphis trade - (Anderson, Jones, Winslow, (Utah pick?)) for (Simmons)

Simmons utilized at SF/PF where Memphis need a big wing defender, (one of the leagues best) during regular season & when 3J shifts to C. Small ball 5 in the playoffs, when team play 5 out vs Memphis. Teams would sacrifice paint defense to go small which this transition team & Ja would punish off of defensive stops.

We have to fully believe JJJ is a center in order to use Simmons. JJJ at center and Simmons at PF. Ja at PG and Brooks on the wing. The last starter has to be a lights out shooter from deep. Bane, Duncan Robinson, Allen. You also need Ja to get better at shooting the three. If everyone else can cover the shooting you can make it work. Let Simmons also have run as your backup PG. Other fits are better, but I think it would ultimately upgrade our team. I wouldn't use our entire treasure trove of assets, but if he was cheap enough then yeah I'd love to add him.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#96 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:47 am

VCfor3 wrote:We have to fully believe JJJ is a center in order to use Simmons. JJJ at center and Simmons at PF. Ja at PG and Brooks on the wing. The last starter has to be a lights out shooter from deep. Bane, Duncan Robinson, Allen. You also need Ja to get better at shooting the three. If everyone else can cover the shooting you can make it work. Let Simmons also have run as your backup PG. Other fits are better, but I think it would ultimately upgrade our team. I wouldn't use our entire treasure trove of assets, but if he was cheap enough then yeah I'd love to add him.

3J's game is perimeter oriented to the point of getting 3 happy. Playing Simmons in the post marginalizes his lack of range. Gobert averaged .1 APG, 0% from 3 in the PO's & he isn't the best of FT shooter either, he too can't shoot. He's the best rim defender & defensive anchor in the league but he got stretched by Clippers playing 5 out & Mann. Where Simmons is 6'11 & arguably the best perimeter defender in the league, at C. He's also one of the best rebounding wings, so when teams go small, perimeter oriented, he would be more than adequate defensively in the post & on the boards, while allowing Memphis to effectively switch 1-5

Without Conley setting Gobert up, Jazz were playing 4 on 5 offensively, where Simmons can create for himself & others averaging 7 assists a game, now out the post as a secondary playmaker that teams can't sag off of.. Like Giannis, I think Memphis would benefit having Ja as a primary ball handler to having that non shooting, playmaking, slashing, athletic, quick, transition C option.

3 lineups matchup wise -

Big lineup - Jonas - Jaren - Simmons - Brooks - Ja = 3 + defenders, 2 playmakers, 6'11 at SF, without sacrificing speed.

Defensive big lineup - Jaren - Simmons - Brooks - Bane - Ja = 4 defenders 3 +, 2 playmakers, added dead eye shooter

Small ball PO lineup - Simmons - Anderson - Brooks - Bane - Ja = increases playmaking, speed/pace & switch ability.

My first option would be Brown but with Simmons value tanking, it could be an ideal buy low target for Memphis to get that 3rd talent/named player also for officials respect..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#97 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:21 pm

Nets are willing to listen to deals for Irving. He's been an issue for them off court also. His 32m contract has got 3yrs left.

Ben @ 30m/4yrs is not the best of fits in Philly who need a PG that isn't afraid to shoot with Embiid in the paint. His value has dipped considerably after last PO's

Nets are facing Durant & Harden hitting free agency in 21-22. Where I'm thinking they could value some cap savings ... IMO they need some complimentary 2 way players to bolster their defense if no star is the requirement for moving Irving..

Both Nets & Philly in their win now state are capped & owing future firsts.

Philly trade - (Simmons) for (Irving)

Nets trade - (Irving) for (Winslow, Melton, Clarke, Jones, (pick/s?))

Memphis trade - (Winslow, Melton, Clarke, Jones, (pick/s?) for (Simmons)

Nets receive 2 way talent, pick/s? & defensive compliments along with contracts that help them shed 22m in salary in a non star swap.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#98 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:33 pm

There's a quote on the trade board that said Bruce Bowen knows Gregg Popovich would trade anyone for Ben Simmons.

Bet - Pop turns Simmons into a supersized Kawhi.

They'll most likely turn Derozan's offense into Simmons defense, possibly fix his mental block & shooting in a best case scenario.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#99 » by gobullschi » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:50 pm

Small trade: Tomas Satoransky for Justice Winslow
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#100 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:37 am

gobullschi wrote:Small trade: Tomas Satoransky for Justice Winslow

It depends on if we decline the team option or not. You can maybe just outright sign him for less than 13m if we do decline the TO. If we don't decline the TO and end up moving Tyus, I'd be super down for this.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies