Rick Carlisle! 

Post#1 » by boomershadow » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:16 pm

Read on Twitter
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: Rick Carlisle! 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:38 pm

Good choice. Now let's get some top assistants.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#3 » by Tom White » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:05 pm

Wizop wrote:Good choice. Now let's get some top assistants.

I would put as much trust in Carlisle as anyone to make good hires for assistants.

They are reporting he signed four 4 years - $29M. Kinda blows up my theory of the team being cheap, doesn't it?
I'm happy with this. Now let's get him some players. Anyone have thoughts as to how he may use some of the current players differently than they have been used?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#4 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:12 pm

Tom White wrote:Anyone have thoughts as to how he may use some of the current players differently than they have been used?

Sabonis at a high post? or traded? Rick has said the era of the low post scorer is over.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#5 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:18 pm

The Carlisle era Pacers were perennial contenders, so hopefully this will be a return to form for the team

My one question is, how will he make use of Myles and Domas?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#6 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:22 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:Anyone have thoughts as to how he may use some of the current players differently than they have been used?

Sabonis at a high post? or traded? Rick has said the era of the low post scorer is over.

I think Domas is at his most lethal when initiating the offense near the high post and top of the key anyway, either looking for cutters or making a move to the basket himself

He actually becomes a little ineffective when mobbed by defenders at the low post or in the paint
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by Tom White » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:28 pm

One more thought/question.
At that salary, does anyone expect Carlisle to have more say in player personnel? Draft? Trades?
I would think if they are going to pay him $7M per year, they have to give him a good amount of input.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:30 pm

Read on Twitter
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by Tom White » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:34 pm

Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter

Has Rick MET this team? :lol:

OK. I am at least partially kidding. Wonder if he will be joining the team's reps at the combine.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#10 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:13 pm

I’m very happy with this signing and relieved that they didn’t go Clifford or Stotts. Rick please don’t request a trade to get Richardson from the Mavs !! I would take Kleiber ? if we could get him away :lol:
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#11 » by Moooose » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:38 pm

What a sneaky move. Great hire! Did not expect him at all.

I was not happy with the news about us talking to Stotts, Shaw, and Clifford. Clifford sounds like John Malkovich on interviews if you'll reduce the speed to 0.75x.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by Tom White » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:46 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I’m very happy with this signing and relieved that they didn’t go Clifford or Stotts. Rick please don’t request a trade to get Richardson from the Mavs !! I would take Kleiber ? if we could get him away :lol:

How about Hardaway jr.?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#13 » by pacers33granger » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:06 pm

I know some aren't that high on this hire (non Pacer fans it seems). But the fact of the matter is there are a number of openings in the league and we got arguably the best coach that was available. Management and ownership really could not have done better after deciding to cut Nate loose.
BooomBaby
Junior
And1: 194

Post#14 » by BooomBaby » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:15 pm

Extremely happy and surprised they didn't hire the other trash coaches that were rumored here.

Now we need to fix this roster ASAP, because as it is, it's never going anywhere but a 1st. round exit.

Welcome back Rick!
Wizop
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:19 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I know some aren't that high on this hire (non Pacer fans it seems). But the fact of the matter is there are a number of openings in the league and we got arguably the best coach that was available. Management and ownership really could not have done better after deciding to cut Nate loose.

particularly if you are only willing to consider people who have succeeded as a coach coach before. with a first timer you could hit a home run or strike out - as we did last year. I'd say this is a solid double.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by Tom White » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:29 pm

Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wish I could thank this post more than once! Tell it Reggie!
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#18 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:32 pm

Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter

Reggie couldn’t have sent a message any better to motivate and hopefully get next seasons team pulling in one direction for their new coaches. At the least effect it will have is that it should show the players others familiar with the organization have taken notice also of the recent mediocrity.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#19 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:15 pm

Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 824

Post#20 » by Pacersike » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:42 pm

Good choice! Players matter a lot more though. Just ask Trae, Lebron, Frank, Nate, Anthony, Malcolm...

It's minimal the impact, unless you have an incredible stubborn coach who doesn't absorb corrections from his staff.
A coach making big errors will always get notified by his staff. Only small errors usely occur.

Pritchard has the capability to make Nate Bjorkgren a better coach, he failed to do that. He put the personalities of our players above that of another individual. Sad, if Malcolm was a player who cared enough about winning, we could have been closer to a playoffs appearance. So we try Rick now to make Malcolm and others better leaders. Why on earth not fix it ourselves?

I get that coaches get fired after several years, people getting bored very quickly these days and all, but giving up on people after just 1 season makes very little sense. So many possibilities to get better and Kevin decided that they are too weak to do it.

Wasted opportunities while playing it safe this time. If our players don't decide to lead better, it will be just the same though, except some of them will be hold accountable with delay, cuz you know, our FO can't keep on switching coaches to hide their flaws.

I'm kind of hoping that Rick is aiming for Kevin's position. The players we get matters so much, just like (encouraging people to become) great leaders. I doubt that Herbert is doing it to Kevin and Kevin publicly speaks about a lack of leaders on our team, in stead of creating them. I hope Rick can do it or someone shows up to make Pritchard a better leader. He lacks the insight and courage to hold everyone accountable. Nate is a very good coach, if people management was an issue, Kevin had to correct him.

Return to Indiana Pacers