Nico Harrison being pursued to be Pres of BBAll Operations 

Post#1 » by fuller4379 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:45 am

Read on Twitter
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Re: Nico Harrison being pursued to join front office 

Post#2 » by fuller4379 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:58 am

Bringing in Nike Guy as GM seems to follow Cuban’s focus of recruiting free agents as opposed to finding young talent and developing it.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#3 » by ejs78 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:59 am

This I like if it happens

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#4 » by fuller4379 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:35 am

I am guessing Finley will be in charge of the draft and Nico will be focused on recruiting free agents and trades.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,031

Post#5 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:39 am

Cuban's ego is out of control
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#6 » by JJP » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:46 am

daoneandonly wrote:Cuban's ego is out of control

No, this part is well-thought out. Nico has a relationship to a lot of players. People like him are being hired by front offices in other organizations - probably because they are so well connected that they can effect players decisions during free agency. So this part I understand.

The part about Jason Kidd and the lack of interest in Moseley as Head coach bothers me. I understand it - Kidd has much more experience and his Lakers tenure was a particularly good one from all reports - but I would have liked to have seen Moseley given an interview. And Finley as GM doesn't do much for me either.

The only good part of this is that Nico, Finley, Kidd, and Dirk all know each other pretty well. That's obviously the strategy here.

More on Nico....

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/06/24/dallas-mavericks-nico-harrison-president/
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#7 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:07 am

JJP wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Cuban's ego is out of control

No, this part is well-thought out. Nico has a relationship to a lot of players. People like him are being hired by front offices in other organizations - probably because they are so well connected that they can effect players decisions during free agency. So this part I understand.

The part about Jason Kidd and the lack of interest in Moseley as Head coach bothers me. I understand it - Kidd has much more experience and his Lakers tenure was a particularly good one from all reports - but I would have liked to have seen Moseley given an interview. And Finley as GM doesn't do much for me either.

The only good part of this is that Nico, Finley, Kidd, and Dirk all know each other pretty well. That's obviously the strategy here.

More on Nico....

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/06/24/dallas-mavericks-nico-harrison-president/

Cuban's choices seemed to be geared towards getting free agents. Kidd seems to be the more flashy option being the bigger name. The Nico Harrison move is also geared towards free agents. Luka is ready to win now and Cuban seems to have placed drafting and developing in the back burner for now. Opting for talent that will be ready to contribute immediately.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:28 am

fuller4379 wrote:Bringing in Nike Guy as GM seems to follow Cuban’s focus of recruiting free agents as opposed to finding young talent and developing it.
To me this is a positive. Our track record landing free agents hasn't been good and we desperately need that to change.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#9 » by HMFFL » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:38 am

Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager

Post#10 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:57 am

It won't be the first front office position that he's been offered it seems.

The money can sure be negotiated by Cuban. May even be better than Masai in terms of fit IMO.

How does Nike Nico and Vegas Bob fit in all this?

I can see the selling points as an agent. Free agent thinks of signing with Dallas. Nike Nico's vast connections can make him more marketable on and off the court. Shoe deals for A-tier superstars, ad campaigns, the works. This guy and Kidd should have a better shot at free agents that Donnie and Carlisle's methods from the stone age. So by all indications this should be a positive.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#11 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:06 am

When the rumor broke today, the first thing I had in mind was the least marketable superstar in the NBA -Nikola Jokic. Nike Nico should be able to work out an attractive pitch for him to make him marketable in the USA. Also a Jeff Schwartz client. UFA 2023, I think.

Any team can offer Jokic the max. It's the same amount for 29 other teams. As his agent, he would be thinking what else he can get if he comes on board. That should be another ace in your hand.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#12 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:51 am

The Kidd move, I feel it can be in anticipation of a Damian Lillard trade. You have to remember that Dame requested Kidd be his coach in Portland which Kidd eventually turned down. So having Kidd + Luka would be a major selling point if he requests a trade from Portland. Which is likely to happen if they dont go far in the playoffs. Nike Nico has some roots in Portland too with Nike HQ being located there. I'm sure Cuban thought about this pairing.

Future big 3 of Luka - Jokic - Dame?
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#13 » by MrOrange » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:34 am

arkuo wrote:The Kidd move, I feel it can be in anticipation of a Damian Lillard trade. You have to remember that Dame requested Kidd be his coach in Portland which Kidd eventually turned down. So having Kidd + Luka would be a major selling point if he requests a trade from Portland. Which is likely to happen if they dont go far in the playoffs. Nike Nico has some roots in Portland too with Nike HQ being located there. I'm sure Cuban thought about this pairing.

I would be extremely surprised if Kidd is a make-or-break thing for Dame to stay in Portland. I mean, really, what is the whole Lillard to Mavs assumption even based on? If it is just this, then do not put yourself up for false hopes. If it is something deeper, OK, we'll see.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#14 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:49 am

MrOrange wrote:
arkuo wrote:The Kidd move, I feel it can be in anticipation of a Damian Lillard trade. You have to remember that Dame requested Kidd be his coach in Portland which Kidd eventually turned down. So having Kidd + Luka would be a major selling point if he requests a trade from Portland. Which is likely to happen if they dont go far in the playoffs. Nike Nico has some roots in Portland too with Nike HQ being located there. I'm sure Cuban thought about this pairing.

I would be extremely surprised if Kidd is a make-or-break thing for Dame to stay in Portland. I mean, really, what is the whole Lillard to Mavs assumption even based on? If it is just this, then do not put yourself up for false hopes. If it is something deeper, OK, we'll see.

I wouldn't bank on Kidd. 29 other teams would be interested with Dame. Not just Dallas. But a couple more first round exits and I can see him requesting a trade. With how the West is right now with Booker and Mitchell emerging as legit stars, and seeing how that Portland team is built, they would have a tough time getting to the next round.

Right now, it seems that every edge Cuban can get, he'll take. If getting Kidd and Nike Nico means he gets an an edge in recruiting Dame, I think he'll take it. I mean he drafted Kostas who doesn't look NBA ready so he'll have a back channel to Giannis. This isnt any different. Shows you how he thinks though.

Luka and Dame makes sense. That's essentially a Lebron and Kyrie. And he'll most likely keep KP as a trade chip for Dame if that materializes at all.
MrOrange
Senior

Post#15 » by MrOrange » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:52 am

arkuo wrote:
MrOrange wrote:

I wouldn't bank on Kidd. 29 other teams would be interested with Dame. Not just Dallas. But a couple more first round exits and I can see him requesting a trade. With how the West is right now with Booker and Mitchell emerging as legit stars, and seeing how that Portland team is built, they would have a tough time getting to the next round.

Right now, it seems that every edge Cuban can get, he'll take. If getting Kidd and Nike Nico means he gets an an edge in recruiting Dame, I think he'll take it. I mean he drafted Kostas who doesn't look NBA ready so he'll have a back channel to Giannis. This isnt any different. Shows you how he thinks though.

Luka and Dame makes sense. That's essentially a Lebron and Kyrie. And he'll most likely keep KP as a trade chip for Dame if that materializes at all.

Luka and Dame backcourt makes a lot of sense. I just don't see it happening for the next season. Also, finding a defensive winger is an absolute must then.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#16 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:07 am

MrOrange wrote:
arkuo wrote:
MrOrange wrote:

Luka and Dame backcourt makes a lot of sense. I just don't see it happening for the next season. Also, finding a defensive winger is an absolute must then.

I dont see it either. If it ever happens, this should be 2 years in the making. Which means another first round exit for Dame, and another year for Porzingis to get his value up. If Cuban surveyed the field, and even if say the Lakers want Dame, the Lakers wont offer AD to Portland. Which makes a possible Porzingis swap one of, if not the best offer out there.

And on the flip side, I think getting Dame would make Luka happy. Dame is a first tier superstar. They'd be 1A and 1B instead of Batman and Robin IMO.
MrOrange
Senior

Post#17 » by MrOrange » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:15 am

arkuo wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
arkuo wrote:

I dont see it either. If it ever happens, this should be 2 years in the making. Which means another first round exit for Dame, and another year for Porzingis to get his value up. If Cuban surveyed the field, and even if say the Lakers want Dame, the Lakers wont offer AD to Portland. Which makes a possible Porzingis swap one of, if not the best offer out there.

And on the flip side, I think getting Dame would make Luka happy. Dame is a first tier superstar. They'd be 1A and 1B instead of Batman and Robin IMO.

I've never liked this Batman and Robin stuff. A bit old-school. Today, to succeed you need several guys on a relatively equal footing where anyone can step up at any particular game. I think Suns are a perfect example of that
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Re: Nico Harrison being pursued to be Pres of BBAll Operations 

Post#18 » by JD45 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:12 am

If there were any good free agents to lure this year, I could understand this strategy, but there really aren't.

Playing for future cap space has more chance of losing games and Luka than getting another superstar. They really needed ability to evaluate and develop players along with maximizing their on court performance.

This just looks like Cuban trying to get himself a seat with the "cool kids."
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#19 » by JJP » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:32 am

JD45 wrote:If there were any good free agents to lure this year, I could understand this strategy, but there really aren't.

Playing for future cap space has more chance of losing games and Luka than getting another superstar. They really needed ability to evaluate and develop players along with maximizing their on court performance.

Yes, the Cuban thing about a seat with the "cool kids" seems accurate. This management group is a bit... chummy.

The other thing we haven't discussed, which is out there now, is how tone deaf this decision is to a lot of women. Kidd's sexual abuse stuff coupled with the Mavs history makes this look pretty bad. Hard to believe CEO Cynthia Marshal didn't bring this up - or likely she wasn't consulted.

The Mavs will weather that angle, I'm sure. But the lack of interviews for these positions makes it all the more glaring.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#20 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:17 pm

JJP wrote:
JD45 wrote:If there were any good free agents to lure this year, I could understand this strategy, but there really aren't.

Yes, the Cuban thing about a seat with the "cool kids" seems accurate. This management group is a bit... chummy.

The other thing we haven't discussed, which is out there now, is how tone deaf this decision is to a lot of women. Kidd's sexual abuse stuff coupled with the Mavs history makes this look pretty bad. Hard to believe CEO Cynthia Marshal didn't bring this up - or likely she wasn't consulted.

The Mavs will weather that angle, I'm sure. But the lack of interviews for these positions makes it all the more glaring.

The Nike executive thing is a marketing thing and should be accurate. They need to look "cool" for American superstars to want to come play with a European kid. That's one of the challenges of having a European superstar with a lead role.

The Kidd thing is another story. While I agree the optics may be bad, but this was cleared by Dirk and endorsed ny Carlisle. Should Dirk be crucified the same as Cuban for this?

As with many things and industries, it's connections that get people high paying jobs here. And Kidd is pretty well connected all the way to the top it seems. It will blow over.

Return to Dallas Mavericks