Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Re: Nico Harrison being pursued to be Pres of BBAll Operations 

Post#21 » by JD45 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:34 pm

arkuo wrote:
JJP wrote:
JD45 wrote:If there were any good free agents to lure this year, I could understand this strategy, but there really aren't.

Playing for future cap space has more chance of losing games and Luka than getting another superstar. They really needed ability to evaluate and develop players along with maximizing their on court performance.

This just looks like Cuban trying to get himself a seat with the "cool kids."

Yes, the Cuban thing about a seat with the "cool kids" seems accurate. This management group is a bit... chummy.

The other thing we haven't discussed, which is out there now, is how tone deaf this decision is to a lot of women. Kidd's sexual abuse stuff coupled with the Mavs history makes this look pretty bad. Hard to believe CEO Cynthia Marshal didn't bring this up - or likely she wasn't consulted.

The Mavs will weather that angle, I'm sure. But the lack of interviews for these positions makes it all the more glaring.

The Nike executive thing is a marketing thing and should be accurate. They need to look "cool" for American superstars to want to come play with a European kid. That's one of the challenges of having a European superstar with a lead role.

The Kidd thing is another story. While I agree the optics may be bad, but this was cleared by Dirk and endorsed ny Carlisle. Should Dirk be crucified the same as Cuban for this?

As with many things and industries, it's connections that get people high paying jobs here. And Kidd is pretty well connected all the way to the top it seems. It will blow over.

Yeah, it looks especially bad with the Mavs past issues with sexual harassment. And makes Cuban's past public contrition look phony. Which is probably was.

As far as Dirk, he was a great basketball player. Always seemed to be a good guy. Nothing in that indicates he has any aptitude for building an organization. He was just a figure head in all this. He probably liked Kidd, so perhaps endorsed him as coach. Pretty much meaningless in reality. Just publicity.

I wonder if this wasn't set up all along. Lots of odd occurrences with Kidd publicly declining to pursue the Portland job, Carlisle recommending Kidd and Kidd being mentioned immediately as a Mavs coach candidate. The fix may have been in all along and this has just been theater for the last month.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#22 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:54 pm

JD45 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
JJP wrote:
Yes, the Cuban thing about a seat with the "cool kids" seems accurate. This management group is a bit... chummy.

The other thing we haven't discussed, which is out there now, is how tone deaf this decision is to a lot of women. Kidd's sexual abuse stuff coupled with the Mavs history makes this look pretty bad. Hard to believe CEO Cynthia Marshal didn't bring this up - or likely she wasn't consulted.

The Mavs will weather that angle, I'm sure. But the lack of interviews for these positions makes it all the more glaring.

The Nike executive thing is a marketing thing and should be accurate. They need to look "cool" for American superstars to want to come play with a European kid. That's one of the challenges of having a European superstar with a lead role.

The Kidd thing is another story. While I agree the optics may be bad, but this was cleared by Dirk and endorsed ny Carlisle. Should Dirk be crucified the same as Cuban for this?

As with many things and industries, it's connections that get people high paying jobs here. And Kidd is pretty well connected all the way to the top it seems. It will blow over.

Yeah, it looks especially bad with the Mavs past issues with sexual harassment. And makes Cuban's past public contrition look phony. Which is probably was.

As far as Dirk, he was a great basketball player. Always seemed to be a good guy. Nothing in that indicates he has any aptitude for building an organization. He was just a figure head in all this. He probably liked Kidd, so perhaps endorsed him as coach. Pretty much meaningless in reality. Just publicity.

I wonder if this wasn't set up all along. Lots of odd occurrences with Kidd publicly declining to pursue the Portland job, Carlisle recommending Kidd and Kidd being mentioned immediately as a Mavs coach candidate. The fix may have been in all along and this has just been theater for the last month.

It's also a grand way of making noise and announcing stuff to the league. Getting attention of certain playerrs i.e. Dame Lillard.

Cuban is a master with theatrics. Smokes and mirrors and ****. Probably a big marketing stunt.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#23 » by Darren » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:01 pm

I think the Mavs lacks talented roster in general. Getting Nico and Kidd is just the way to attract talents from FA. The team is just running by Doncic in general. And Finley's in full control of the draft matter. There's a lot of question mark left. But generally, I agree the Mavs has to gain talents from either FA or trade. Hardaway being the 2nd best player is impossible to stomach. If the Mavs end up with Kawhi Leonard, then that's a brillant decision. Who knows?

I also think Kidd will work better with the Mavs due to the familiarity with the personnel and system in general. At least, the transition period is shorter compared with newcomers.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#24 » by JJP » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:08 pm

I suspect Cuban is in the network of NBA trends, know coaches and assistant coaches, and has spoken at length to Kidd prior to all this (as early as the Mavericks playoffs against the Clippers according to photos).

That does not mean he expected the Donnie Nelson-Voulgaris angle, or Carlisle might quit or any of that. We don't need conspiracy theories. It's probably much simpler than that.

It's really just all of this looks like it fits within Cuban's comfort zone more than anything else. It looks less like something well thought-out for the franchise as a whole.

I think the Nico Harrison angle is a smart move, but outside of that it looks like a hurried, Cuban-centric decision. I hope it works out, but I'm not encouraged by it.

Edit: It now appears Nico Harrison has been hired as the General Manager for the Mavs. Kidd is the HC. I'm no longer sure what Finley is.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#25 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:30 pm

Jared Dudley approves

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#26 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:22 am

fuller4379 wrote:Bringing in Nike Guy as GM seems to follow Cuban’s focus of recruiting free agents as opposed to finding young talent and developing it.

Developing the talent is also why he brought in Kidd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM

Post#27 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:24 am

fuller4379 wrote:I am guessing Finley will be in charge of the draft and Nico will be focused on recruiting free agents and trades.

Pretty much and Dirk will assist where needed. So is Finley officially President on f Basketball Operations and Nico the GM?

Mr B
RealGM

Post#28 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:38 am

arkuo wrote:It won't be the first front office position that he's been offered it seems.

The money can sure be negotiated by Cuban. May even be better than Masai in terms of fit IMO.

How does Nike Nico and Vegas Bob fit in all this?

I can see the selling points as an agent. Free agent thinks of signing with Dallas. Nike Nico's vast connections can make him more marketable on and off the court. Shoe deals for A-tier superstars, ad campaigns, the works. This guy and Kidd should have a better shot at free agents that Donnie and Carlisle's methods from the stone age. So by all indications this should be a positive.

And not just the elite free agents. Think about a guy like Jae Crowder last off season. His choices came down to the Mavs and Suns. He took less money to go to the Suns. Obviously he made the right choice but would the current regime have been more attractive than Carlisle going around being a dick to everyone? Would Crowder have made a difference in the playoffs for the Mavs?

Mr B
RealGM

Post#29 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:42 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

arkuo
General Manager

Post#30 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:00 am

Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I think he was brought it for that specific reason. And that is to recruit elite guys to come over. Dame among other names. Time to get his Oregon connections working.

I think Nike Nico and his connections will go further than Donnie and his powerpoint presentations ever did.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#31 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:38 am

Dame also tweeted his message of support to Nico being hired in Dallas.

Dallas got the GM that he likes. Dallas got he head coach that he likes. Dallas got the KP trade chip to match his big contract. Dallas making the team the best situation for Dame to transfer to. All he got to do is ask. Time to stir the pot.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#32 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:44 am

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I think he was brought it for that specific reason. And that is to recruit elite guys to come over. Dame among other names. Time to get his Oregon connections working.

I think Nike Nico and his connections will go further than Donnie and his powerpoint presentations ever did.

I heard Racheal Nichols talking on the Jump and mentioning how some players are paid more by Nike than they are by their own team. If Nike is paying them more wouldn’t they be more inclined to listen to Nike if they’re being encouraged to sign with Dallas. Or come to Dallas and Nico will help you get a shoe deal. It’s really interesting to see how this all works out.

arkuo
General Manager

Post#33 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:50 am

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I heard Racheal Nichols talking on the Jump and mentioning how some players are paid more by Nike than they are by their own team. If Nike is paying them more wouldn’t they be more inclined to listen to Nike if they’re being encouraged to sign with Dallas. Or come to Dallas and Nico will help you get a shoe deal. It’s really interesting to see how this all works out.

Exactly. It's on and off the court. It's what you cna do for them beyond the Xs and Os. Basketball is also a business for these guys. I'm looking st Dame and Jokic for these reasons.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#34 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:53 am

arkuo wrote:Dame also tweeted his message of support to Nico being hired in Dallas.

Dallas got the GM that he likes. Dallas got he head coach that he likes. Dallas got the KP trade chip to match his big contract. Dallas making the team the best situation for Dame to transfer to. All he got to do is ask. Time to stir the pot.

Do you think they would use their cap space to absorb a contract (or partially absorb) instead of going out and just signing a player?

arkuo
General Manager

Post#35 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:52 am

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:Dame also tweeted his message of support to Nico being hired in Dallas.

Do you think they would use their cap space to absorb a contract (or partially absorb) instead of going out and just signing a player?

Im on the fence here. But a gauranteed trade seems bettet to secure the talent needed rather than leaving it up to free agency? We've all seen things not go as planned during free agency.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#36 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:27 am

What are the chances the Mavs failures in Free Agency are just Donnie Nelson & Rick Carlisle don't make an attractive pairing, but Nico Harrison & Jason Kidd do?
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#37 » by fuller4379 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:02 am

:nod:
Read on Twitter
arkuo
General Manager

Post#38 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:12 am

fuller4379 wrote::nod:
Read on Twitter

Here come the rumors as expected. :nod:

Cuban basically hired Lillard's people. So we will see if it pays off. It should get noisier when Portland starts a losing skid.

Portland bet on Billups. Cuban placed his bets on Kidd and he hedged that bet with Nico Harrison. Let's see who wins.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#39 » by JJP » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:22 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:What are the chances the Mavs failures in Free Agency are just Donnie Nelson & Rick Carlisle don't make an attractive pairing, but Nico Harrison & Jason Kidd do?

Pretty good I'd say. But having said that, most players in FA are choosing salary as their prime reason to go to another team. So I'm not sure how much this changes the math for any FA.

Also, I wish people would quit slobbering over Lillard. Don't you think Portland values him just a little more than KP? They won't send him here because it's in the best interest of Lillard. They only send him here if it's in the best interest of the Portland franchise. Dallas has nothing to offer.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,339

Post#40 » by Mavrelous » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:33 am

JJP wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:What are the chances the Mavs failures in Free Agency are just Donnie Nelson & Rick Carlisle don't make an attractive pairing, but Nico Harrison & Jason Kidd do?

Pretty good I'd say. But having said that, most players in FA are choosing salary as their prime reason to go to another team. So I'm not sure how much this changes the math for any FA.

Also, I wish people would quit slobbering over Lillard. Don't you think Portland values him just a little more than KP? They won't send him here because it's in the best interest of Lillard. They only send him here if it's in the best interest of the Portland franchise. Dallas has nothing to offer.

What did the Nets have to offer for Harden? LeVert (Avergae guard), Prince (overpaid combo forward on 2 years contract, Dwight Powell type of contract), Allen (young defensive big with no offensive game other than lobs and put backs, who is looking to get really paid and is at best your 3rd/4th piece on a good team, Rockets sent him for a 1st and Cavs are stuck with specifically for this reason) and all of their future picks.
Trade Brunson to Knicks for the 23' 1st and all picks are released, THJ, KP, Green and all of the future picks for Lillard and whatever contract they don't want (DJJ?) is pretty similar in value.
There is absolutely no way whatsoever Portland willingly does this deal, but if Lillard demands a trade? they may very well do it and save themselves the disgraceful **** show that happened in Houston, even though Lillard is a class act and Blazers FO are also pros and won't stoop to dirtbag level like Harden/Fertitta.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Dallas Mavericks