Rick Carlisle!

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Reaper_
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: Rick Carlisle! 

Post#21 » by Reaper_ » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:08 pm

Finally Rick is back! Miss that tough team from 2000s.

Sent from my M2102J20SG using RealGM mobile app
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 931

Post#22 » by Tom White » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:52 pm

Reaper_ wrote:Finally Rick is back! Miss that tough team from 2000s.

The problem with that is today's rules don't allow teams to play that way now.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,044

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:20 pm

I love the hire. I’m pleasantly shocked at the price Simon was willing to pay. I’m almost always the guy that wants new and fresh, but you can’t turn down Rick Carlisle if he wants to coach here. Certainly seems like we won’t be doing ANY sort of a tear down for awhile, though maybe some re tooling. More than anything, I see the team maybe willing to dump Lamb to keep both McConnell and McDermott. They both just seem so Rick Carlisle-ish.

I also doubt that Pritchard will have to help find assistants willing to work with the coach this time. I don’t know who, but I have little doubt that he could net some solid assistant coaches.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:23 pm

Looking back, Carlisle had Canales on his staff for 3 or 4 years. Otherwise has had solid longevity on his staff with Darrell Armstrong and Jamahl Mosley. We’ll see what happens.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#26 » by Moooose » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:22 am

I was thinking about it last night as I was watching commentators react to the Carlisle hiring. If Carlisle has a say with regards to building a team, I think we can expect more foreign players on the roster. Not saying we could be leaning towards foreign guys at the draft, but I think Giddey, Sengun, and Garuba becomes more realistic options than before.. Also, Wagner, though I am not a fan.

Also, we do not have someone like a Dorian Finney-Smith on the roster. Brissett could be the closest but we might as well look for an upgrade.

I wouldn't mind brining in some guys from Dallas for Turner and Lamb.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#27 » by winter_mute_13 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:01 am

Rick was rumored to want a say in personnel if he came here. I can only hope that is true since I believe we badly need a shakeup in the personnel department.

Whether it was Pritchard or Buchanan who was primarily running things, I kinda feel that the decision makers "fell in love" with the roster, hence the insistence that old Nate was entirely the problem and which is why new Nate was handed virtually an unchanged roster. It's true that they managed to build up a roster that looks good on paper, while having very little resources to do so, but clearly also this is a roster that doesn't mesh well together.

The good news I guess is that the Pacers do have guys that would be valuable rotation players or even starters on other teams. So if they're willing to go into the trade market, they would have some pieces to play with. The bad news is that it's not clear that they have a star player to build around. So the first decision to make IMO is whether Domas (or someone else on the roster) can be that player, and if not, the priority is to take some risks on longshot guys who might develop into that guy.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,264

Post#28 » by boomershadow » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:51 am

Carlisle's offense is exactly the type of thing I've wanted to see for years and years. He is the kind of coach that gets the most out of his players and puts them in good positions to use their skillsets. His offense has been varied and effective over the years with players as diverse as Luka, Monta Ellis, THJ, and even Boban. His teams have consistently overachieved their talent level.

My one gripe is that he hasn't been great at developing his rookie players. Finding good young players and developing them is something that the organization has struggled to do since the departure of Vogel as coach and even more so into the KP as president era. KP has been good at finding underutilized talent that's already in the league, so hopefully that meshes well with Carlisle's preference for playing vets.
pacers33
Rookie
And1: 1,304

Post#29 » by pacers33 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:09 pm

I wonder how he gels in young modern locker rooms, overall I'm optimistic about the hire. It seems like he really wants to be here again. It's a good gig, I get that, but the commitment to changing the culture is refreshing. It also feels like a long term hire. Hopefully Rick ends his coaching career in Indiana.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,050

Post#30 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:54 pm

boomershadow wrote:My one gripe is that he hasn't been great at developing his rookie players.

I think the G-League changes that game. being able to give a rookie PT in Fort Wayne with a coach using the Pacers system is a big help.

but it isn't all on the coaches. consider Sabonis and Hansbrough. both came into the league only able to shoot with one hand. Damos has worked to fix that. Tyler left the league still one handed.

The thing I really like in what I'm reading about Carlisle is that he is not a system coach. he adapts to his players and you've heard me play this tune before.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#31 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:04 pm

Some really good quotes in a subscribers only piece.

Read on Twitter
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by Tom White » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:35 pm

Wizop wrote:Some really good quotes in a subscribers only piece.

I cut the article for the sake of brevity.

I can't tell you how many coaches, whom I've considered to be at the top of their profession, say the very same thing. A player can certainly have a bad shooting streak, but should never have a bad effort streak. Love the emphasis on defensive effort. Now he just has to get the players to accept that, and be willing to send those who don't to the bench. Or to another team.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#33 » by Topofthekey » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:43 am

I have a feeling we're going to see a deadline trade

Carlisle is probably going to want to spend some time evaluating the players, and also giving them opportunities to earn a spot on his rotation, so I don't anticipate any off season trade, though I won't be shocked either, because sometimes the right trade just comes along

At the same time, I don't think Carlisle is coming in with a passive, run it back mentality. He's probably looking to make his mark with this roster, so it's unlikely he's going to settle for treadmilling, and more than likely that he's going to want to make some changes to the roster. I don't see him waiting for an entire year for it to happen, too

So putting those two postulations together, a deadline trade seems to be in the cards
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by Tom White » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:59 am

Topofthekey wrote:So putting those two postulations together, a deadline trade seems to be in the cards

I don't entirely disagree with what you are saying, but a deadline deal means you now have a new player (or players) to work into the system. Depending on who it might be, that might mean a wasted season, or half a season. Depends on how quickly guys adapt.

I have to think there is enough game tape on the players that the main things a coach needs to figure out would be the mindset and chemistry of his team. Maybe some of that insight will come from team staff (not meaning assistants) that have been around a while. I'm talking about people like team trainers and medical staff. Those sorts of staff members.

The other side of the coin, of course, is we have no idea what offers may be out there, either now or during the season.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#35 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:46 am

Doug had a big year playing for Carlisle. TJ is a must sign. Can you sign them both without making a summer trade to dump salary? If tax is the only issue, you could cross that bridge at the deadline, but then it would be a buyer's market.

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#36 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:59 am

I’m in the camp of something gets done before the season starts. A couple things to note is Carlisle coached against the Pacers players twice last season. I’m sure he had a good idea about some of the players and what they’re capable of. Some he won’t know as well. I’m thinking between him and Pritchard they’re looking at keepers and possible changes in personnel. I’m not sure if GM’s are at Chicago for the combine. If so they could be doing some discussions with other teams if it’s legal currently ?
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#37 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:05 am

I’m hoping the Pacers are looking into if they can do anything more in the draft whether it be a package of a player plus the late second round picks or somehow making #13 better or into 2 first round picks. Will be interesting to see what direction they go.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#38 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:11 am

Wizop wrote:Doug had a big year playing for Carlisle. TJ is a must sign. Can you sign them both without making a summer trade to dump salary? If tax is the only issue, you could cross that bridge at the deadline, but then it would be a buyer's market.

Sent from my phone.

I agree TJ McConnell is a decent resigning. I earlier said I could part with Sabonis and I feel McDermott and him were so good together. If no Domas I’m not sure if I would resign Doug without those passes on all the cuts to the basket. In this case I could let Doug walk although I like him. Defense again is his liability.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by Tom White » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:04 am

Pacers Forever wrote:If no Domas I’m not sure if I would resign Doug without those passes on all the cuts to the basket.

Isn't the real problem there that we just don't have players who are really good passers? Our next best passer is probably TJM?
Matter of fact, we don't have much in the way of guys who make quick, good decisions in moving the ball.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#40 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:03 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I’m in the camp of something gets done before the season starts. A couple things to note is Carlisle coached against the Pacers players twice last season. I’m sure he had a good idea about some of the players and what they’re capable of. Some he won’t know as well. I’m thinking between him and Pritchard they’re looking at keepers and possible changes in personnel. I’m not sure if GM’s are at Chicago for the combine. If so they could be doing some discussions with other teams if it’s legal currently ?
Trades with teams not in the playoffs are legal now. I expect we've got our hands full in Chicago though talking to prospects and possible assistants.

Sent from my phone.

Return to Indiana Pacers