ImageImageImage

Rick Carlisle Steps Down! What Next?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Re: Rick Carlisle Steps Down! What Next? 

Post#101 » by JD45 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:27 pm

dirkforpres wrote:https://theathletic.com/2660659/2021/06/21/the-rick-carlisle-era-in-dallas-was-successful-but-for-both-him-and-the-mavericks-it-was-time-to-move-on/

Carlisle was often difficult to deal with: lashing out verbally at non-star players he disliked or having angry outbursts directed at inanimate objects behind closed doors. All humans exist in shades of gray, and that side of Carlisle doesn’t invalidate touching stories that have also been shared about him in the past days or moments where he went out of his way to connect with a beat writer for his team. But in every corner of the Mavericks organization, there’s a shared sense of relief they no longer have to deal with his worst moments.

The lengths some of you guys went to in order to defend this clown over the last year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So happy we have finally moved on

The deafening silence from Mavs players is saying more than any article could.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#102 » by boogiezen » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:07 am

The article is not even shocking. Just look at every rookie not named Luka or to a certain extent Brunson, he just doesn't have the patience for young players.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#103 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:45 am

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/6/20/22541919/rick-carlisle-stepped-down-bob-voulgaris not sure if this has been posted here yet but the move I thought was genius by RC seems he may have not been that genius I thought he was. Boban starting was a great way to give the clippers a matchup problem and give them hell but it seems from certain sources that RC was not the reason that happened so that may be why he decided to leave.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#104 » by arkuo » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:20 pm

Carlisle going to the Pacers on a new 4 year deal.

Doesn't surprise me that he went back to Indiana.

What's surprising is Carlisle resigning with no plans and finding a new home faster than Cuban coming up with a new GM hire except that "we aren't going after Masai or Danny Ainge".
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#105 » by HMFFL » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:39 pm

According to ESPN's Tim MacMahon, the Pacers will hire Rick Carlisle to serve as the team's next head coach. 

One week after resigning as Mavericks head coach, Carlisle has reportedly accepted a four-year deal worth $29 million to coach the Pacers. This will be his second run with the franchise, as he served as head coach from 2003-07. After going with a first-time head coach in Nate Bjorkgren and watching that move fail in spectacular fashion, the Pacers are going the experienced route for a roster that is headlined by Malcolm Brogdon, Domantas Sabonis, Myles Turner and Caris LeVert. 

SOURCE: Tim MacMahon on Twitter

Jun 24, 2021, 11:18 AM ET

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#106 » by HMFFL » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#107 » by JJP » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:26 pm

And he think Jason Kidd should be the new Mavs coach.

“It’s hard to put an exact finger on it. It’s just a feeling that I had that it would be mutually beneficial,” Carlisle said. “My hope is that Jason Kidd will be the next coach of the Mavs because he and Luka have so many things in common as players.

“I just think that it would be a great situation for Luka, and I think it would be an amazing situation for Jason. I’m the only person on the planet that’s coached both of those guys and that knows about all of their special qualities as basketball players. To me, that just would be a great marriage, but that’s just an opinion.”
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,873

Post#108 » by Jasen777 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:56 pm

JJP wrote:And he think Jason Kidd should be the new Mavs coach.

For revenge based reasons?
arkuo
General Manager

Post#109 » by arkuo » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:59 pm

I feel Carlisle has some animosity for some people within the Mavs organization. You don't uproot your whole family, transfer schools for your kids and choose temporary unemployment because it was "mutually beneficial".

Carlisle probably thought that Kidd was someone who could stand up to Vegas Bob and give him the middle finger every time he suggests starting Boban in a playoff game.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#110 » by arkuo » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:05 pm

By now you can probably see how bad the situation was with Vegas Bob. I mean Carlisle chose the corn fields of Indiana versus to coach the next face of the NBA for the next decade or two. Imagine that.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#111 » by JJP » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:23 pm

arkuo wrote:By now you can probably see how bad the situation was with Vegas Bob. I mean Carlisle chose the corn fields of Indiana versus to coach the next face of the NBA for the next decade or two. Imagine that.

Maybe, but it occurred to me Carlisle was choosing familiarity. He knows the Pacers community, the environment, and the organizational history. Most of the people know him. It's an easier fit for him than any other place.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#112 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:20 am

I thought he was a genius because he played Boban should have known better and that Cuban was imposing his will via another.

If you ask me Bigs on this team could have been developed and coached a lot better and plays could have been designed for them but Rick does not understand that aspect of the game as much as he thinks he does and he did not have to coach Tyson or Dirk that much when they were here because they were already knowledgable and potent enough to earn his respect and Dirk could create on his own so those two in the play offs were imposing with how they played and reinvented the game.

Dirk was nothing but pure greatness so he is probably looking at every other big and comparing them to Dirk so naturally he is spoiled and cannot handle the fact there is a major lack of bigs with talent in the league now. He was wanting his bigs to play like Dirk and that was never going to be possible. Even KP is a pale shadow of what Dirk created on the court. He can play well enough to bring up a memory of Dirk but then he lacks the defense that Dirk offered and Dirk was great on D for a long time. Boban can dominate teams on the boards and when he is fed the ball in certain spots but I am disapointed RC was not the one who had that idea to play him and Boban did well enough to great against the clippers so I thought whoever made that move proved their point and that point was that RC was incompetent when it came to coaching bigs. He never needed to coach Dirk so his skills atprophied.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#113 » by fuller4379 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:35 am

Read on Twitter
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#114 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:38 am

fuller4379 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Luka is as good as gone
FIRE JASON KIDD
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#115 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:54 am

so what kind of free agent moves is Kidd going to help us out with? LA has two teams with players we could want to who is it they are targeting with that hire, DRUMOND? LOL
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#116 » by Captain_Obvious » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:53 am

All I want is the next coach to make KP set some decent picks. Defenders barely needed to fight through screens, it's maddening. You could see Carlisle messing that up in early workouts with KP (recovering from ACL). Luka/KP pick and rolls/pops should be virtually unguardable.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#117 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:12 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:so what kind of free agent moves is Kidd going to help us out with? LA has two teams with players we could want to who is it they are targeting with that hire, DRUMOND? LOL

That’s where Nico, Finley and I would assume Dirk come in. It’s their job to find the players. It will be interesting to see which way they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#118 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:12 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:All I want is the next coach to make KP set some decent picks. Defenders barely needed to fight through screens, it's maddening. You could see Carlisle messing that up in early workouts with KP (recovering from ACL). Luka/KP pick and rolls/pops should be virtually unguardable.

I’m wondering if KP will even be on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arkuo
General Manager

Post#119 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:14 am

Will the Kidd hiring be good or bad for KP? We know Carlisle had him play more of a decoy/spot up shooter role this year.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#120 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:21 am

People are upset like Dallas hired Scott Brooks or something. LMAO

Return to Dallas Mavericks