ImageImageImage

Nico Harrison being pursued to be Pres of BBAll Operations

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Nico Harrison being pursued to be Pres of BBAll Operations 

Post#41 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:40 am

We can all assume that Portland doesn't accept the deal, but with the Paul George trade, Anthony Davis trade, James Harden trade, all players got their wish on where to land. It's not a guarantee but I think Dallas has an edge.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#42 » by agentofatlas » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:27 pm

More interested what they do this offseason than praying for Dame to come here. Frankly I've had enough of star chasing.

Hope the Mavs actually build a team for once.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#43 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:54 pm

Hopefully Green gets developed now. Perhaps KP gets used properly and we make some trades to find a center so Boban is not the best center on the team still. Guys got hot from 3 so I do not think the 3 point shooting is strong enough as we think because that heat faded as the games played on. Boban is still worth keeping but we need to find another guy that can bang and score inside. Otherwise starting him in the playoffs was the smart thing to do and RC was an idiot that he needed to be told to start him. Nico needs to find us more talent and work on a big trade because we have guys that need to be moved. If he can sell another team to take on some of our garbage he is going to earn his keep. I just hope J Rich is gone.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#44 » by JD45 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:07 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:What are the chances the Mavs failures in Free Agency are just Donnie Nelson & Rick Carlisle don't make an attractive pairing, but Nico Harrison & Jason Kidd do?

The New MavBro recruiting team:
Vanilla IceCube
Nike Nic
Vegas Bob
The Slapaho Kidd

Maybe that will work.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
arkuo
General Manager

Post#45 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:14 pm

agentofatlas wrote:More interested what they do this offseason than praying for Dame to come here. Frankly I've had enough of star chasing.

I feel the playoffs is a game of stars and wings. It's damn if you do and damn if you don't I guess. If they don't try to bring in stars, the fans will say that Luka is not getting enough help. It goes both ways, so I guess they just have to choose which plan to take and put the company's weight behind that and push forward. Cuban has always played it safe by signing these vets to one year deals until he hits a jackpot. It has been his style ever since.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#46 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:15 pm

I guess it's safe to say we all will be keeping an eye on this new regime.

It's the first time in 23 years without a Nelson in the office. It would be interesting to see what path they take now.
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,573

Post#47 » by Baz » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:19 pm

agentofatlas wrote:More interested what they do this offseason than praying for Dame to come here. Frankly I've had enough of star chasing.

Agreed. Dame isn't leaving and the Mavs will further cripple themselves throwing everything at him for the slight chance he would.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by agentofatlas » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:30 pm

arkuo wrote:

I feel the playoffs is a game of stars and wings. It's damn if you do and damn if you don't I guess. If they don't try to bring in stars, the fans will say that Luka is not getting enough help. It goes both ways, so I guess they just have to choose which plan to take and put the company's weight behind that and push forward. Cuban has always played it safe by signing these vets to one year deals until he hits a jackpot. It has been his style ever since.

Stars? How about they upgrade the starters first.

They can't afford to punt off seasons imo. They have to address at least one or two glaring roster problems. From the playmaking to the bigs. Especially when you have a player this good. They have to treat every off season as if Luka is 28-30 years old. He's ready now.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#49 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:35 pm

agentofatlas wrote:
arkuo wrote:

They can't afford to punt off seasons imo. They have to address at least one or two glaring roster problems. From the playmaking to the bigs. Especially when you have a player this good. They have to treat every off season as if Luka is 28-30 years old. He's ready now.

That's the right way to build a team.

But we have an owner who is more impatient than a 5 year old kid. So we should be used to this by now. That has always been his M.O.

Blew up the 2011 team to get a shot at more rings quickly. Patience has never been his virtue.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man

Post#50 » by agentofatlas » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:48 pm

arkuo wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
arkuo wrote:

That's the right way to build a team.

But we have an owner who is more impatient than a 5 year old kid. So we should be used to this by now. That has always been his M.O.

Blew up the 2011 team to get a shot at more rings quickly. Patience has never been his virtue.

As an impatient guy myself, waiting for something to happen without any assurances really grind my gears. If Cubes is as impatient as I am then he would go all in every year.

I think Cubes problem is that he only has one strategy really. Which is weird considering he's been at this for long enough that he should know there are multiple ways to win. Not even counting that if you're in it every year the more chances of star players coming.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#51 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:37 pm

JJP wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:What are the chances the Mavs failures in Free Agency are just Donnie Nelson & Rick Carlisle don't make an attractive pairing, but Nico Harrison & Jason Kidd do?

Pretty good I'd say. But having said that, most players in FA are choosing salary as their prime reason to go to another team. So I'm not sure how much this changes the math for any FA.

Also, I wish people would quit slobbering over Lillard. Don't you think Portland values him just a little more than KP? They won't send him here because it's in the best interest of Lillard. They only send him here if it's in the best interest of the Portland franchise. Dallas has nothing to offer.

Keep an eye on Zach LaVine. Would be easier to acquire than Lillard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM

Post#52 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:38 pm

arkuo wrote:We can all assume that Portland doesn't accept the deal, but with the Paul George trade, Anthony Davis trade, James Harden trade, all players got their wish on where to land. It's not a guarantee but I think Dallas has an edge.

Anthony Davis too

Mr B
RealGM

Post#53 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:43 pm

arkuo wrote:I guess it's safe to say we all will be keeping an eye on this new regime.

It's the first time in 23 years without a Nelson in the office. It would be interesting to see what path they take now.

Yea because we really have no idea what this regime wants. I keep seeing all these posts about what players the Mavs should go after and I can’t say that any of them don’t make sense because I have no idea which direction the Mavs will go. We always knew what type of player Donnie and Carlisle wanted but I have no idea what kind of players Nico and Finley want.

JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#54 » by JJP » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:13 pm

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:I guess it's safe to say we all will be keeping an eye on this new regime.

Yea because we really have no idea what this regime wants. I keep seeing all these posts about what players the Mavs should go after and I can’t say that any of them don’t make sense because I have no idea which direction the Mavs will go. We always knew what type of player Donnie and Carlisle wanted but I have no idea what kind of players Nico and Finley want.

Exactly. Although I suspect certain aspects of need are clear, and good players are good players.

I think the only thing really changing would be Dallas's ability to sell itself... and perhaps allowing Luka some new authority on the court.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#55 » by fuller4379 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:19 pm

The reason Luka is surrounded by garbage is that the Mavs only made one good first round pick in the last decade. The rest were either busts or the pick was traded.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#56 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:20 pm

JJP wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Exactly. Although I suspect certain aspects of need are clear, and good players are good players.

I think the only thing really changing would be Dallas's ability to sell itself... and perhaps allowing Luka some new authority on the court.

THJ should be the first domino to fall for the new regime. Especially with no draft picks.

- Retain
- S&T
- Let him walk

Most likely one of those first two choices. From there you'll get a glimpse of what direction they'd like to take.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#57 » by HMFFL » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:06 pm

^
Problem is we must stay competitive. It seems to be Cubans primary goal, build for the regular season, fill the seats, and pray tfoe the best in the postseason.

THJ would be a perfect piece for a true contender (healthy Golden State) teams but we must find a S&T.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
RealGM

Post#58 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:19 pm

Well based on what Cuban is saying they are going after a guy that can get buckets. He’s saying they need a second scorer. People are seeing that as a jab at both KP and THJ. Cuban’s not wrong though. KP was non-existent and THJ is too hot and cold. If they are going to try to acquire this guy through trade I would think a 3rd team would also have to be involved. The popular name right now is Lillard but I don’t see any way they can get him unless he specifically says that he wants to be traded to Dallas. He would have to force it and I don’t see him quite there yet with Portland. What other high level scorers could be available? Zach LaVine? Bradley Beal? Image

DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#59 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:40 am

JJP wrote:

Pretty good I'd say. But having said that, most players in FA are choosing salary as their prime reason to go to another team. So I'm not sure how much this changes the math for any FA.

Also, I wish people would quit slobbering over Lillard. Don't you think Portland values him just a little more than KP? They won't send him here because it's in the best interest of Lillard. They only send him here if it's in the best interest of the Portland franchise. Dallas has nothing to offer.

Personally, I would like to see Dame stay in POR. He's built different like Dirk. However, he's around that age Dirk was at where if he hadn't won in 2011, I think Dirk would have started thinking about leaving. Dame is only 2 years younger than Dirk was at that point, so think about where Dirk's head was at in 2009. Bounced in 5 vs the Nuggets in round 2. The 2006 collapse in the Finals, the 2007 disappointment. 2008 1st round exit vs New Orleans. Dirk has said winning the title in 2011 made much easier on him. Said "I don't know" regarding whether he would have started looking for another situation he could contend for a title if Dallas hadn't won in 2011. He said in 2015 when the Warriors started getting good (and Dallas was in a tailspin), Golden State reached out to Dirk about joining them. He said the 2011 title made that decision easy.

Dame is on that same trajectory. The 2019 disappointment in the WCF, then 2 years of getting bounced in the 1st round. Christ he put up 55 in a game where he hit the shot to send it to OT. He can't do much more. He has to be thinking about what his future holds, even though his heart is in POR.

POR isn't going to have a choice if Dame wants to go. HOU didn't want to trade Harden, but they did. All Dame has to do is tell his publicist, let the Oregonian know I'm requesting a trade. The fan base will support Dame not the Blazers. Dame already resigned with them once. POR can't afford to be seen as the organization who played hardball with fan favorite and all around good guy Dame Lilliard. They can kiss their hopes of ever attracting quality FAs good bye. Right now, NBA players love POR. The fans sung happy birthday to Carmelo during a game. He actually got a little choked up. Players respect POR. The whole NBA respects Dame.

I still think he's a year or two away from requesting a trade, but if he does I'd bet money it's to come to DAL.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#60 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:44 am

fuller4379 wrote:The reason Luka is surrounded by garbage is that the Mavs only made one good first round pick in the last decade. The rest were either busts or the pick was traded.

Yes, but that's common place for top 5 NBA draft picks. Cade Cunningham isn't about to go to the Pistons because Detroit's been knocking it out of the park with their first round draft picks for the last 10 years.

Return to Dallas Mavericks