ImageImageImage

where do the Cavs land on your crystal ball ?

Moderator: ijspeelman

Where do they pick this time? 7th is the greatest odds

13%
20%
27%
20%
No votes
7%
13%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15

Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Re: where do the Cavs land on your crystal ball ? 

Post#101 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:55 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Sure, Barnes is the BPA forward over Kuminga if Mobley is gone the way Barnes has showed out at the combine and his ability to make his teammates better and score at the cup with ease ala Greek freak in the making. Has a 12' vertical leap reach and can easily play 1-5 defensively. Does he fix the spacing issue? obviously his lack of shooting says otherwise, but I imagine his polarity as a driver and playmaker easily puts DG and Sexton in position for open shots playing off this beast. Banres for me as to be above Green despite Green being so appealing as a guy who can shoot like some of the best shooters in the NBA can. It really comes down to if Sexton is willing to take a lesser role for the Cavs if in fact they are wanting Green as their first option. If Sexton is into it cool, but as some assume he could expect to get a big offer sheet in RFA and the only way Cavs match after drafting another guard is if he is still in the sl. So trading him is the rumor.
I think they draft Barnes or Mobley and keep Sexland ultimately paying Sexton less than a max and if anything bring Okoro off the bench putting the ball in his hands like at the end of the season...

Sexton and his agent can think they are going to get whatever they want BUT I have a suspicion that there are not many teams, if any at all, lined up clamoring to pay Collin Sexton big long-term money

I really do feel like the Cavs like Sexton more than the rest of the the league likes Sexton and you would find his value surprisingly low if he hit the open market.

Sexton to me seems like he might have a Reggie Jackson type of career where he's bouncing around because nobody will pay him long-term money.

Detroit paid Jackson ... but I'm not sure either team would say they won the deal.

February 19, 2015: As part of a 3-team trade, Reggie Jackson traded by the Oklahoma City Thunder to the Detroit Pistons; the Detroit Pistons traded D.J. Augustin, Kyle Singler and a 2019 2nd round draft pick (Isaiah Roby was later selected) to the Oklahoma City Thunder; the Detroit Pistons traded a 2017 2nd round draft pick (Thomas Bryant was later selected) to the Utah Jazz; the Oklahoma City Thunder traded Grant Jerrett, Kendrick Perkins, Tibor Pleiß and a 2018 1st round draft pick (Josh Okogie was later selected) to the Utah Jazz; and the Utah Jazz traded Enes Kanter and Steve Novak to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Jackson also wasn't nearly as good as Sexton is now.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,648

Post#102 » by toooskies » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:57 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
You don't shoot 36% from the floor and 28% from 3 because ' you need coached up'. He can't shoot. We have enough players that can't shoot outlined by our league horrible 3pt shooting percentage and ranking.

If you can't shoot the basketball, I want nothing to do with you. That's my stipulation for anybody whose not a 7ft. Center that joins the Cavs this off season

You still watching highlight videos as a scouting tool eh smh
everyone who is anyone knows his problem is forcing tough shots and killing his % and that he couldnt care less about having the better % as he does trying to get better at making those same shots by shooting them which is the only way anyone gets better. You can say he can't shoot all you like but it is a lie and the lack of shooting mechanics that you are imagining that prevent anyone from fixing shots dropping and missing the rim are far worse than his problem of needing to tone down on the bad shot selections in games and working on them when noone is keeping score.
He probably wont be the Cavs pick because others are moving up into that range that are farther along. But there is a significant chance they dont even keep the pick if these dfs trade Sexton and 3 for a win now vet at which point I have made it pretty clear I will be done with this org and will gladly walk away from engaging with irrational impatient takes in the middle if a rebuild.
There are no shortcuts and if Kuminga can be Kawhi in 3 yrs he is the pick even if Green can be Lavine as a rookie

Technically speaking there are shortcuts.

You can draft the higher floor players to build your roster then somewhere down the line add high ceiling players that need a lot of development later in the draft where the risks are much lower.

But that's over-complicating things ... Altman could have started his rebuild with a pick like Kuminga, but at this point his job is on the line and he'd be taking a huge career risk to draft him now at 3.

If you take Kuminga at #3, you've lost the asset game and should be fired. If you want him, you trade with Orlando for #5 and extras, whether that's #8 or Isaac or whatever. Or you trade with OKC-- #6 + assets if you're OK with adding either Kuminga or Barnes at SF.

Floating Sexton as being available might be a way to create leverage to move #3.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,379

Post#103 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:24 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Sexton and his agent can think they are going to get whatever they want BUT I have a suspicion that there are not many teams, if any at all, lined up clamoring to pay Collin Sexton big long-term money

I really do feel like the Cavs like Sexton more than the rest of the the league likes Sexton and you would find his value surprisingly low if he hit the open market.

Sexton to me seems like he might have a Reggie Jackson type of career where he's bouncing around because nobody will pay him long-term money.

Detroit paid Jackson ... but I'm not sure either team would say they won the deal.

February 19, 2015: As part of a 3-team trade, Reggie Jackson traded by the Oklahoma City Thunder to the Detroit Pistons; the Detroit Pistons traded D.J. Augustin, Kyle Singler and a 2019 2nd round draft pick (Isaiah Roby was later selected) to the Oklahoma City Thunder; the Detroit Pistons traded a 2017 2nd round draft pick (Thomas Bryant was later selected) to the Utah Jazz; the Oklahoma City Thunder traded Grant Jerrett, Kendrick Perkins, Tibor Pleiß and a 2018 1st round draft pick (Josh Okogie was later selected) to the Utah Jazz; and the Utah Jazz traded Enes Kanter and Steve Novak to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Jackson also wasn't nearly as good as Sexton is now.

As a scorer? No, not even close, but he could run some 2-man offense; and the Pistons had one of their better seasons doing exactly that with Jackson+Drummond when Jackson was able to stay healthy.

Still, who wants to pay Sexton a max deal? At best, maybe there's a team that when the smoke settles ends up with him on a bargain deal thanks to his RFA status. I just wouldn't expect a team taking that gamble to pay a premium to trade for him knowing they might have to let him walk in a year.

In other words, this is how we ended up with Jarrett Allen for a crappy 1st and absorbing some salary.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,119

Post#104 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:40 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
I'm with you on waiting till this season is over to pay him ourselves, match any RFA offer, or S&T him, but I'm not for trading him before the season unless it makes a lot, a lot, a lot of sense.
Yeah, I'm not moving him just to move him.

We're talking the Cavs here ... we always make the most of any chance to create dysfunction.

If they don't see the two sides reaching an easy agreement on an extension, they might as well trade Collin for the best we can get. Pull that splinter out now, and don't let it turn to gangrene.

It's not how I'd want to do it, but given our track record it may be our best choice.

The key is after the trade and the draft ending up with a balanced starting 5.
Agree with everything except for the *best we can get* part. I'd want real value. Otherwise, there's 96 back court minutes per game and 82 games in a season. I'm fine with him in a super sixth man role and we can make a decision about paying him next summer.

It's not the ideal outcome, but the Cavs, unlike a lot of other teams, aren't really up against it. I'm watching fans of teams that have immediate concerns try to flex on the T&T board and it's borderline comical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:43 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:You still watching highlight videos as a scouting tool eh smh
everyone who is anyone knows his problem is forcing tough shots and killing his % and that he couldnt care less about having the better % as he does trying to get better at making those same shots by shooting them which is the only way anyone gets better. You can say he can't shoot all you like but it is a lie and the lack of shooting mechanics that you are imagining that prevent anyone from fixing shots dropping and missing the rim are far worse than his problem of needing to tone down on the bad shot selections in games and working on them when noone is keeping score.
He probably wont be the Cavs pick because others are moving up into that range that are farther along. But there is a significant chance they dont even keep the pick if these dfs trade Sexton and 3 for a win now vet at which point I have made it pretty clear I will be done with this org and will gladly walk away from engaging with irrational impatient takes in the middle if a rebuild.
There are no shortcuts and if Kuminga can be Kawhi in 3 yrs he is the pick even if Green can be Lavine as a rookie

You can draft the higher floor players to build your roster then somewhere down the line add high ceiling players that need a lot of development later in the draft where the risks are much lower.

But that's over-complicating things ... Altman could have started his rebuild with a pick like Kuminga, but at this point his job is on the line and he'd be taking a huge career risk to draft him now at 3.

If you take Kuminga at #3, you've lost the asset game and should be fired. If you want him, you trade with Orlando for #5 and extras, whether that's #8 or Isaac or whatever. Or you trade with OKC-- #6 + assets if you're OK with adding either Kuminga or Barnes at SF.

Floating Sexton as being available might be a way to create leverage to move #3.
They're not taking Kuminga or Barnes at No. 3. He's just wish casting.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#106 » by tundraknight » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:37 pm

LivingLegend wrote:I went down a Youtube rabbit hole and Im starting to really love the potential of having Green on this roster.

I am now also afraid Green is receiving a ton of pre-draft hype and will be taken by the Rockets lol

Yeah Green has been generating a ton of hype recently. I’ve read many people saying he has the most potential in this draft with his elite first step, world class athleticism, scoring ability, and he plays with a chip on his shoulder. He wants to be the best.

Garlands strengths are passing and shooting so I think he’d be a nice fit playing along side Green in the backcourt.

And going by the recent trade rumors with Sexton, Perhaps try and work out some kind of trade with him for the 6th pick and nab one of Barnes or Kuminga.

And build with a core of;

Darius Garland
Jalen Green
Barnes or Kuminga
Larry Nance
Jarrett Allen
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#107 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:57 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Yeah, I'm not moving him just to move him.

We're talking the Cavs here ... we always make the most of any chance to create dysfunction.

If they don't see the two sides reaching an easy agreement on an extension, they might as well trade Collin for the best we can get. Pull that splinter out now, and don't let it turn to gangrene.

It's not how I'd want to do it, but given our track record it may be our best choice.

Agree with everything except for the *best we can get* part. I'd want real value. Otherwise, there's 96 back court minutes per game and 82 games in a season. I'm fine with him in a super sixth man role and we can make a decision about paying him next summer.

It's not the ideal outcome, but the Cavs, unlike a lot of other teams, aren't really up against it. I'm watching fans of teams that have immediate concerns try to flex on the T&T board and it's borderline comical.

Sure, that's how it should go, but what are the chances that backfires on us like everything seems to backfire on us?

When it comes to random chance (aka the draft lottery) ... we're the great ... but when it's about massaging egos, building chemistry, and building a roster the right way ... we're constantly shooting ourselves in the foot.

I can just imagine Jaylen Green's agent putting out a report that he doesn't want Cleveland to draft him because he doesn't see an opportunity on the team and about a dozen other things like that.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:43 am

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Sure, that's how it should go, but what are the chances that backfires on us like everything seems to backfire on us?

When it comes to random chance (aka the draft lottery) ... we're the great ... but when it's about massaging egos, building chemistry, and building a roster the right way ... we're constantly shooting ourselves in the foot.

I can just imagine Jaylen Green's agent putting out a report that he doesn't want Cleveland to draft him because he doesn't see an opportunity on the team and about a dozen other things like that.
If the Cavs are sold on Green, they should take him anyway. If not, I'm sure Suggs will be happy to take the extra money over the course of his rookie deal.

The Cavs are like Denzel from The Hurricane. They've got nothing but time. That's not the case for the Sixers, Celtics, Bulls, Blazers, Pelicans, etc.

K. Love's contract is only getting shorter. By the deadline, getting off of McCollum and Harris' contract a year earlier might be something those teams consider doing without us having to include Sexton.

That young OKC team was pretty good with Harden coming off the bench. Sexton can fill a poor man's version of that role with us. I'd at least try that before trading him for some of what's been posted on the T&T board.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#109 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:56 am

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

They're not taking Kuminga or Barnes at No. 3. He's just wish casting.

No I am not. It is not that difficult to imagine them having been high on both until they got the 3rd and if they cannot trade down or see a major advantage in a different prospect that is now suddenly unexpectedly available, they could just take the kid they like for the roster at any forward position of need esp if they think the upside is better and they fit more removing need for major roster shake ups etc...with the bs Sexton trade crap
I dont know if they could get Barnes if they trade down past 5 tbh he seems like the one that is picking up a lot of steam in the pre draft process esp after going apesht at the combine. I do know there are 4 or 5 elite shooters that could help this team later if they decide they need to address the spacing through the draft
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#110 » by LivingLegend » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:20 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Agree with everything except for the *best we can get* part. I'd want real value. Otherwise, there's 96 back court minutes per game and 82 games in a season. I'm fine with him in a super sixth man role and we can make a decision about paying him next summer.

If the Cavs are sold on Green, they should take him anyway. If not, I'm sure Suggs will be happy to take the extra money over the course of his rookie deal.

The Cavs are like Denzel from The Hurricane. They've got nothing but time. That's not the case for the Sixers, Celtics, Bulls, Blazers, Pelicans, etc.

K. Love's contract is only getting shorter. By the deadline, getting off of McCollum and Harris' contract a year earlier might be something those teams consider doing without us having to include Sexton.

That young OKC team was pretty good with Harden coming off the bench. Sexton can fill a poor man's version of that role with us. I'd at least try that before trading him for some of what's been posted on the T&T board.

There is this very weird notion that Sexton could be had on the 76ers, Knicks, Mavericks, ECT for next to nothing.

It's strange
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:56 am

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

There is this very weird notion that Sexton could be had on the 76ers, Knicks, Mavericks, ECT for next to nothing.

It's strange
Some if it is just that teams don't have much to offer so they're talking themselves into the idea they could land him for scraps.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#112 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:04 pm

I mean being on the trade block which Sexton isn't as opposed to the org testing the value of one of their core players up for an extension before next season... is not news. He could get traded anyone could provided someone blew them away with an offer that helps them more now and later...but who is going to do that for an undersized score first guard most consider a 6th man, but plays a much larger role for the Cavs? not very many I would assume, not too mention the team trading for him would have to be willing to risk him just leaving after they trade for him. Does not seem reasonable at all that the Cavs are actually intending to trade Sexton but just get information they can use to force him to take a lesser deal or bet on himself and go into RFA seeking a bigger offer sheet.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:09 pm

Stillwater wrote:I mean being on the trade block which Sexton isn't as opposed to the org testing the value of one of their core players up for an extension before next season... is not news. He could get traded anyone could provided someone blew them away with an offer that helps them more now and later...but who is going to do that for an undersized score first guard most consider a 6th man, but plays a much larger role for the Cavs? not very many I would assume, not too mention the team trading for him would have to be willing to risk him just leaving after they trade for him. Does not seem reasonable at all that the Cavs are actually intending to trade Sexton but just get information they can use to force him to take a lesser deal or bet on himself and go into RFA seeking a bigger offer sheet.

This is basically where I'm at. The only wrinkle will be if Sexton's agent says he's not coming off the bench, but even then, I'm about done with agents trying to run the organization. Frankly, Sexton strikes me as hungry enough that he'll come of the bench and try to prove he should be starting if the Cavs force the issue.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#114 » by JonFromVA » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Agree with everything except for the *best we can get* part. I'd want real value. Otherwise, there's 96 back court minutes per game and 82 games in a season. I'm fine with him in a super sixth man role and we can make a decision about paying him next summer.

I haven't checked out the level of silliness on the T&T board, but the Cavs and especially Koby Altman are on the clock. Remember the same Thunder who were happy to develop Harden with limited minutes off the bench were also happy to trade him away when he asked for just a little more than they had slotted for him. They haven't been back to the finals since that trade.

The Clippers in the Elgin Baylor days were stuck on the lottery treadmill for decades because they just kept turning picks over, and either didn't make the right picks, or didn't hold on to them long enough to build something coherent.

The Cavs should have a clear plan that includes having the patience to get where they want to be, but when's that ever been their MO? Their best plan ever was keeping their SF spot open for LeBron to return, and they did almost everything they could to botch that except winning the lottery.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#115 » by Revenged25 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:27 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I haven't checked out the level of silliness on the T&T board, but the Cavs and especially Koby Altman are on the clock. Remember the same Thunder who were happy to develop Harden with limited minutes off the bench were also happy to trade him away when he asked for just a little more than they had slotted for him. They haven't been back to the finals since that trade.

The Clippers in the Elgin Baylor days were stuck on the lottery treadmill for decades because they just kept turning picks over, and either didn't make the right picks, or didn't hold on to them long enough to build something coherent.

The Cavs should have a clear plan that includes having the patience to get where they want to be, but when's that ever been their MO? Their best plan ever was keeping their SF spot open for LeBron to return, and they did almost everything they could to botch that except winning the lottery.

I think the biggest factor in trading away Harden wasn't that he asked for a little too much, it was that their owner is/was notoriously cheap and refused to pay the luxury bill for it. Thankfully if nothing else Gilbert is more than willing to pay a luxury bill if he thinks it'll help the team win.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#116 » by JonFromVA » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:27 pm

Stillwater wrote:I mean being on the trade block which Sexton isn't as opposed to the org testing the value of one of their core players up for an extension before next season... is not news. He could get traded anyone could provided someone blew them away with an offer that helps them more now and later...but who is going to do that for an undersized score first guard most consider a 6th man, but plays a much larger role for the Cavs? not very many I would assume, not too mention the team trading for him would have to be willing to risk him just leaving after they trade for him. Does not seem reasonable at all that the Cavs are actually intending to trade Sexton but just get information they can use to force him to take a lesser deal or bet on himself and go into RFA seeking a bigger offer sheet.

I agree there's value in trying to establish Collin's market value ahead of offering him an extension, but other teams are going to assume it's just going to be a 1 or 2 season rental before they need to move on. So Collin's agent is not going to be persuaded.

Now, his agent will do his own research to determine if another team might be willing to offer Collin a max deal, and that will go in to how he will determine Collin's value.

Anyway, the Cavs aren't going to trade Sexton for nothing ... but still the question is what will they accept to clear up what might be a logjam in their backcourt.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#117 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:33 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

I agree there's value in trying to establish Collin's market value ahead of offering him an extension, but other teams are going to assume it's just going to be a 1 or 2 season rental before they need to move on. So Collin's agent is not going to be persuaded.

Now, his agent will do his own research to determine if another team might be willing to offer Collin a max deal, and that will go in to how he will determine Collin's value.

Anyway, the Cavs aren't going to trade Sexton for nothing ... but still the question is what will they accept to clear up what might be a logjam in their backcourt.

And that is where the scrutiny comes from with me...why sell low at all? test the interest then pull the plug on it and let Sexton know they are not trading him at all hopefully he understands the process. A meh return is what it would be to move Sexton right now 9 out of 10.
If they do opt to move him selling low now, not only is it unacceptable decision making imo aka worrying about logjams in the back court in the future it proves they are still on the BPA slow boat by taking Green or Suggs
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:40 am

I mean, at the risk of pointing out the obvious, the Cavs can just match the best offer.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#119 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:49 pm

Well apparently Kuminga shot it really well at his pro day with Cavs reps in attendance proving my point his issues are shot selecton over shooting ability.
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2021/06/cleveland-cavaliers-attend-jonathan-kumingas-pro-day-will-host-him-for-private-workout-next-month.html
I Wont be surprised to fins out if he was the Cavs main target. I dont care about any other smoke out there. He can play 2-4 defensively which is more than I can say for Green or Suggs or anyone else expected to go 3rd if Mobley and Cade are gone. JK as been long regarded as a top 3 probable pick before the G League season where the biggest concerns about his stock were coming from people watching highlights and counting stats
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#120 » by Revenged25 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:38 pm

Stillwater wrote:Well apparently Kuminga shot it really well at his pro day with Cavs reps in attendance proving my point his issues are shot selecton over shooting ability.
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2021/06/cleveland-cavaliers-attend-jonathan-kumingas-pro-day-will-host-him-for-private-workout-next-month.html
I Wont be surprised to fins out if he was the Cavs main target. I dont care about any other smoke out there. He can play 2-4 defensively which is more than I can say for Green or Suggs or anyone else expected to go 3rd if Mobley and Cade are gone. JK as been long regarded as a top 3 probable pick before the G League season where the biggest concerns about his stock were coming from people watching highlights and counting stats

Do we know if Kuminga is actually 6'6 or 6'8? Or is it 6'8 in shoes?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers