ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1421 » by mttwlsn16 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:43 pm

I would give up zero assets for Simmons. He's terrible on the court and as a teammate. Dude is a selfish player and not worth 1/4 of what he's paid.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#1422 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:15 pm

nickhx2 wrote:if we ever ended up trading for him, kenny atkinson might be able to do wonders for him.

The problem there is that Simmons would have to want to be coached and held accountable for that to work. He doesn't, and he has Klutch Sports in his ear telling him what he wants to hear and always at the ready to force a trade whenever he's unhappy.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Post#1423 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:03 pm

We can easily find 20 different ways to bolster our championship chance by simple not dealing for Ben Simmons at all. If ever that guy gonna be recover, it should be somewhere without an immediate pressure for success.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,071

Post#1424 » by og15 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:57 am

NippySudz wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Kawhi worked his ass off to improve his shot with the Spurs' shooting coach, Chip Engelland, until he became the player he is today. Blake did the same with Bob Thate.

Simmons let his agent convince him to ignore the Sixers' shooting coach and just work with one of his brothers in the offseason after his rookie year instead. The following season, he shot worse from the free-throw line and took fewer shots outside of 16 feet than he did as a rookie. Those trends have continued ever since.

Kawhi and Blake took their careers seriously from day one. Simmons, on the other hand, appears to be content with being a glorified Andre Roberson.

I'd gladly take glorified andre roberson with kawhi and PG if it wasn't for cap restrictions. A guy like that is great to have, he could guard bigger taller players and take a load on PG and Kawhi doing so. It just so happens his contract sucks.

If it didn't, people would want him. He's worth something , just not the current market value he is now. If he were somewhat bought out, which is not going to be, I'd love for the clippers to sign him. That's only a pipe dream. 6'10 PG's with vision and rebound attritbutes don't grow on trees. Roberson wasn't doing that sh-t

Oh yea, of course, if Simmons isn't making max money, every team would take him. Even with max money, there are teams where their roster situation work for him, but not every team is in that position. For example Simmons next to Curry would be perfect for him, defense, rebounding, playmaking, and Curry will do the shooting and scoring work. In other situations, he might not work so well for the money, because they might need things like spacing around their stars while Curry is the spacing for example.

Simmons could also be a guy that works well next to a guy like Lillard for example.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#1425 » by esqtvd » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:14 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:I would give up zero assets for Simmons. He's terrible on the court and as a teammate. Dude is a selfish player and not worth 1/4 of what he's paid.

That was as close to a nervous breakdown as you'll ever see on a sporting field or court. Not only did he refuse to shoot in the 4th quarters but he TURNED HIS BACK ON THE BALL so they couldn't pass it to him, knowing ATL would send him to the foul line.

At least Shaq and DJ manned up and took their lumps.

When they asked him if you can win a title with Ben as your point guard, it was everything Doc could do not to say, "ARE YOU F******G KIDDING ME??? HE WON'T EVEN TOUCH THE F******G BALL!!!!"

This is much worse than the Sixers are letting on. They might have been able to survive it if Tobias weren't so lame himself [and he had a good series mind you], but once Monty played Hack-a-Ben, his mind was blown and now all the league knows it.

[FUN FACT: Larry Brown refused to Hack-a-Shaq in the 2001 NBA Finals.]
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#1426 » by NippySudz » Thu Jul 1, 2021 5:24 am

if we're going to trade patbev, it has to be for a playmaker. I think you could get a decent one in freeagency for min, but yeah.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,833

Post#1427 » by ejftw » Thu Jul 1, 2021 5:41 am

https://mikeksmind.com/2021/06/30/clipper-contract-status/

Did I get any of the contract situations wrong?

Trade wise, I'd love what TexasChuck posted on the T&T, using Kennard, Rondo and #25 to get Hield and 38.
brianmc
Senior
And1: 64

Post#1428 » by brianmc » Thu Jul 1, 2021 8:30 am

forget Ben Simmons. Kemba Walker has something to prove.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#1429 » by NippySudz » Thu Jul 1, 2021 8:56 am

brianmc wrote:forget Ben Simmons. Kemba Walker has something to prove.

kemba is small and he can't stay healthy.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#1430 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Jul 1, 2021 4:02 pm

brianmc wrote:forget Ben Simmons. Kemba Walker has something to prove.

Kemba is washed and wasn't even all that great in his prime.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,826

Post#1431 » by SK21209 » Thu Jul 1, 2021 4:51 pm

If we can manage to keep our taxpayer midlevel available I hope we make an offer to Caruso. I think the Lakers probably keep him, but he'd be the perfect Bev replacement. He and Mann would bring a whole lot of energy off the bench.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#1432 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Jul 1, 2021 5:39 pm

SK21209 wrote:If we can manage to keep our taxpayer midlevel available I hope we make an offer to Caruso. I think the Lakers probably keep him, but he'd be the perfect Bev replacement. He and Mann would bring a whole lot of energy off the bench.

That would be one way to make Bleacher Report stop tweeting about Caruso every time he makes a shot. :lol:

I agree, though, I'd take him over Bev at this point.
ejftw
General Manager

Post#1433 » by ejftw » Thu Jul 1, 2021 6:42 pm

SK21209 wrote:If we can manage to keep our taxpayer midlevel available I hope we make an offer to Caruso. I think the Lakers probably keep him, but he'd be the perfect Bev replacement. He and Mann would bring a whole lot of energy off the bench.

If I'm not mistaken, he's a RFA and the Lakers would love a team to sign him for the tax MLE.

I think this is the year we need to try to get a few high seconds, a lot of good glue guys we can get that are high energy at the G slots. Daishan Nix, Sharife Cooper, David Duke, Tre Mann (imagine having Terance and Tre Mann together! Both went to Uni in Florida!), Jared Butler, Marcus Bagley, Joel Ayaji, Juzang, BJ Boston, Josh Christopher and thats off the top of my head.

I'm going to go with the assumption that Stay Ready, Batum, Cousins and Yogi are gone, but Coffey is signed to a full deal. That's 3 extra roster slots, and a two-way. Jeremiah Robinson-Earl with #25 to replace Batum, leaves two slots. One for a tax payer MLE, one for one of the names I mentioned above, and another name mentioned above on a two-way would be a good way to run it back.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1434 » by esqtvd » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:45 am

"Bleacher Report’s Zach Buckley proposed that the Clippers send Luke Kennard and Ivica Zubac to the Spurs in exchange for DeRozan in a sign-and-trade swap. That’s a deal that I’d be very interested in if I was in the Clippers’ front office. The Clippers should be interested in looking into ways to acquire the four-time All-Star.

DeMar DeRozan would be of interest to the LA Clippers because his dominant mid-range game compliments what the Clippers do on offense."

https://clipperholics.com/2021/07/20/la-clippers-3-reasons-why-demar-derozan-is-a-perfect-fit-with-lac
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#1435 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:06 pm

Patrick Beverley open to contract extension with Clippers

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/patrick-beverley-open-to-contract-extension-with-clippers/

I'm sure he is. Problem is he hasn't lived up to his last contract and he's an expiring deal. He or Rondo are expiring contract trading chips. Sorry Bev.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers

Post#1436 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:12 pm

esqtvd wrote:"Bleacher Report’s Zach Buckley proposed that the Clippers send Luke Kennard and Ivica Zubac to the Spurs in exchange for DeRozan in a sign-and-trade swap. That’s a deal that I’d be very interested in if I was in the Clippers’ front office. The Clippers should be interested in looking into ways to acquire the four-time All-Star.

DeMar DeRozan would be of interest to the LA Clippers because his dominant mid-range game compliments what the Clippers do on offense."

https://clipperholics.com/2021/07/20/la-clippers-3-reasons-why-demar-derozan-is-a-perfect-fit-with-lac

Not the stupidest take (referring to Clipperholics) I’ve ever seen, but pretty thick. You don’t get “one dimensional” if you have a high shooting percentage from 3, you get one dimensional if you have a high number of attempts from 3. The Clippers were, indeed, the league leader in 3P%. They were close to dead C in the league (14th) in 3PA. Not understanding that distinction makes me kinda dubious about this kind of “analysis.” As for the other things—DeRozan did play a lot more at the 4 this year, but his RPM was lousy. He didn’t help the team much there. I like DeMar, and the article misses what would be his most obvious strength for the team, the ability to run the offense (last year, he had a career best 6.8 apg, and has averaged 6 a game over the last four years). But that lack of 3 point shooting and advancing age and mileage are big concerns.

I’d much rather see us try and flip Mook and Bev for Harrison Barnes and Delon Wright. This trade is kinda of a perfect fit for both team if the Kings take a SF or SF/PF in the draft—which they’re kind of likely to do. It’s one of those trades that is weird until you think about it and realize it helps and fixes weaknesses on both teams.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1437 » by esqtvd » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:32 pm

I'd flip Marcus for a six-pack, I don't even care if it's cold. I think he has negative trade value and we'll have to pay to get rid of his remaining 3yr/$49M.

Barnes has been quietly disappointing @ $20M/yr but I bet there's a lot of interest out there from teams looking to dump albatrosses like Marcus and Trezz [if he opts in and he should].
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers

Post#1438 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:10 pm

esqtvd wrote:I'd flip Marcus for a six-pack, I don't even care if it's cold. I think he has negative trade value and we'll have to pay to get rid of his remaining 3yr/$49M.

Barnes has been quietly disappointing @ $20M/yr but I bet there's a lot of interest out there from teams looking to dump albatrosses like Marcus and Trezz [if he opts in and he should].

Oh, listen, I agree. I had this l-o-n-g thing written out, but scrapped because it basically boiled down to this.

PG had 5 or 6 "bad" playoff games where he shot poorly--but averaged over 10 boards and 5 assists a game, and went to the line so much that he was actually an overall plus. In his other 13 games--about two thirds--he was at top tier superstar level.

Mook had 9 bad games in the playoffs and he didn't just shoot poorly, he was invisible--something like 5 points, 2 boards and 1 assist in 30 mpg. And that was in nearly half the playoff games.

Still, the thing is that Mook has had *good* playoff series too. He's a 4/5 that can spread the court and plays good D. . Richaun Holmes is a nice player in the old fashioned mode; shoots and scores well, has pretty much no range and little passing ability. A good PF/small ball C with very good range that could give some veteran leadership and toughness would be terrific for them. Mook is that guy. Barnes is a better player than Mook--but Mook would fit in better with Sac--especially if they get a SF/PF in the draft.

Kinda the same thing with Wright and Bev. Wright is a better player--but on a team that's essentially starting two PGs, his strengths don't fit in very well. OTOH, the fact that Bev isn’t a “true” PG doesn’t matter much on a team with Fox and Halliburton. And he's an expiring deal.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#1439 » by TucsonClip » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:02 pm

I think Barnes is going to be a hot trade item if the Kings make him available.

I think the Suns should go after him.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
ejftw
General Manager

Post#1440 » by ejftw » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:42 pm

TucsonClip wrote:I think Barnes is going to be a hot trade item if the Kings make him available.

I think the Suns should go after him.

Phoenix was the first team I thought of for Barnes as well, but with the Kings looking to try to get into the playoffs now, not sure what the Suns would give up to entice them. If they were still selling, I could, maybe, see Sac selling low on Jalen Smith, #29 to see if Jalen has anything in the tank.

Unless they like Saric and think he can help when he comes back on top of Jalen & #29

Return to Los Angeles Clippers