ImageImageImage

where do the Cavs land on your crystal ball ?

Moderator: ijspeelman

Where do they pick this time? 7th is the greatest odds

13%
20%
27%
20%
No votes
7%
13%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Re: where do the Cavs land on your crystal ball ? 

Post#121 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:03 pm

Stillwater wrote:Well apparently Kuminga shot it really well at his pro day with Cavs reps in attendance proving my point his issues are shot selecton over shooting ability.
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2021/06/cleveland-cavaliers-attend-jonathan-kumingas-pro-day-will-host-him-for-private-workout-next-month.html
I Wont be surprised to fins out if he was the Cavs main target. I dont care about any other smoke out there. He can play 2-4 defensively which is more than I can say for Green or Suggs or anyone else expected to go 3rd if Mobley and Cade are gone. JK as been long regarded as a top 3 probable pick before the G League season where the biggest concerns about his stock were coming from people watching highlights and counting stats
Yes, being able to hit shots in an empty gym proves you're actually a good shooter versus missing all those shots in actual games.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,379

Post#122 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:04 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I mean, at the risk of pointing out the obvious, the Cavs can just match the best offer.

They certainly can, the question is whether they feel comfortable with that, where they're at regarding roster fit. In other words, do they see a place for Collin on the team and at what price, and is there any chance Collin would accept and be comfortable with that.

If the answer is something like no-no-and-no-way, we can expect Collin to get moved ASAP.

If there's some flexibility on either side, they may be more willing to be patient and let things play out.

But landing at 3 they have some decisions to make, and trading back and drafting Kuminga or Barnes because they would fit better with Collin is likely not a driving factor when they feel there's an All-Star talent in Cunningham, Green, Mobley, and Suggs that's going to fall in their lap.

Maybe that's a backwards approach to reform our roster to fit a player who hasn't played a single minute in the NBA, but the organization may see it as essential to get the roster moving forward. Sexland has been a toy they've had the luxury to play with, but thanks to how they botched this past season, we have very little useful information about it.

Time is running out.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#123 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:13 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:If the Cavs are sold on Green, they should take him anyway. If not, I'm sure Suggs will be happy to take the extra money over the course of his rookie deal.

The Cavs are like Denzel from The Hurricane. They've got nothing but time. That's not the case for the Sixers, Celtics, Bulls, Blazers, Pelicans, etc.

K. Love's contract is only getting shorter. By the deadline, getting off of McCollum and Harris' contract a year earlier might be something those teams consider doing without us having to include Sexton.

That young OKC team was pretty good with Harden coming off the bench. Sexton can fill a poor man's version of that role with us. I'd at least try that before trading him for some of what's been posted on the T&T board.

I haven't checked out the level of silliness on the T&T board, but the Cavs and especially Koby Altman are on the clock. Remember the same Thunder who were happy to develop Harden with limited minutes off the bench were also happy to trade him away when he asked for just a little more than they had slotted for him. They haven't been back to the finals since that trade.

The Clippers in the Elgin Baylor days were stuck on the lottery treadmill for decades because they just kept turning picks over, and either didn't make the right picks, or didn't hold on to them long enough to build something coherent.

The Cavs should have a clear plan that includes having the patience to get where they want to be, but when's that ever been their MO? Their best plan ever was keeping their SF spot open for LeBron to return, and they did almost everything they could to botch that except winning the lottery.

I think the biggest factor in trading away Harden wasn't that he asked for a little too much, it was that their owner is/was notoriously cheap and refused to pay the luxury bill for it. Thankfully if nothing else Gilbert is more than willing to pay a luxury bill if he thinks it'll help the team win.

The Thunder made Harden an offer, so presumably they were willing to keep him at their price. Maybe it would have let them keep Ibaka too, but basically they prioritized keeping Ibaka over Harden. If Dan owned that team coming off a finals appearance, he definitely would have paid both players and every other GM would have known it. It would have let us keep both, but that doesn't mean both players would have been happy about it. Harden obviously deserved a chance to start.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#124 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:40 pm

Here's some great fodder for the rumor mill from Ben with RCF who has solid media connections:

Lot's of good stuff, so I'd suggest reading through the thread, but here's a couple of very interesting observations:

2. The plan was to bring Sexton off the bench with Drummond and let Okoro start at SG. That got blown up after Drummond basically told them to kick rocks.

3. I've heard that if there is a trade they'd like a young borderline all-star who is on their 2nd contract.

He also had this to say on the viability of Sexland:

On offense? Yes they can play well together. It's the other half of the game that is the problem. One of your guards has to be able to defend his own position when you're starting backcourt are members of the lollipop guild. If they can't you end up having your SF defend the PG/SG, your 4 trying to cover the 3 and your 5 being stranded in no-mans land.

If that sounds confusing, imagine being on the court with all that cross matching going on. Opposing teams don't even have to set screens to get a favorable matchup. Just pass the ball around a few times and wait for the confusion to ensue.

https://realcavsfans.com/index.php?threads/im-here-for-the-next-hour-ask-me-cavs-questions.50888/

jbk1234: I think think this counts as news (arguably the biggest news of the off-season so far) and so I'm hoping the cross-site link in this case is appropriate.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#125 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:07 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Well apparently Kuminga shot it really well at his pro day with Cavs reps in attendance proving my point his issues are shot selecton over shooting ability.
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2021/06/cleveland-cavaliers-attend-jonathan-kumingas-pro-day-will-host-him-for-private-workout-next-month.html
I Wont be surprised to fins out if he was the Cavs main target. I dont care about any other smoke out there. He can play 2-4 defensively which is more than I can say for Green or Suggs or anyone else expected to go 3rd if Mobley and Cade are gone. JK as been long regarded as a top 3 probable pick before the G League season where the biggest concerns about his stock were coming from people watching highlights and counting stats
Yes, being able to hit shots in an empty gym proves you're actually a good shooter versus missing all those shots in actual games.

LOL the 2nd you typed that did you think of DG smh
It was actually a pretty big deal that he can shoot at all I am guessing to a lot of you
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#126 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:10 pm

Revenged25 wrote:

Do we know if Kuminga is actually 6'6 or 6'8? Or is it 6'8 in shoes?

Nope nobody seems to that is not there at the events. I am sure it is fairly obvious he is at least 6'6 though or we would be hearing about that. He has been listed at 6'8 in shoes forever so 6'7 is most reasonable barefoot as young as he is and probably grew since then
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#127 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:29 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Here's some great fodder for the rumor mill from Ben with RCF who has solid media connections:

Lot's of good stuff, so I'd suggest reading through the thread, but here's a couple of very interesting observations:

2. The plan was to bring Sexton off the bench with Drummond and let Okoro start at SG. That got blown up after Drummond basically told them to kick rocks.

3. I've heard that if there is a trade they'd like a young borderline all-star who is on their 2nd contract.

On offense? Yes they can play well together. It's the other half of the game that is the problem. One of your guards has to be able to defend his own position when you're starting backcourt are members of the lollipop guild. If they can't you end up having your SF defend the PG/SG, your 4 trying to cover the 3 and your 5 being stranded in no-mans land.

If that sounds confusing, imagine being on the court with all that cross matching going on. Opposing teams don't even have to set screens to get a favorable matchup. Just pass the ball around a few times and wait for the confusion to ensue.

https://realcavsfans.com/index.php?threads/im-here-for-the-next-hour-ask-me-cavs-questions.50888/

jbk1234: I think think this counts as news (arguably the biggest news of the off-season so far) and so I'm hoping the cross-site link in this case is appropriate.

who is this RCF poster Ben ? does he have some kind of history of respectable knowledge or something? Is he a Cavs staffer or just a CLE reporter using a alias ? I can buy this fd up org wanted Sexton off the bench to help the 2nd unit and that would be enough for him to be unhappy if that is true. Maybe they are shopping him if that is the case. what a fkd up org
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#128 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:20 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

LOL the 2nd you typed that did you think of DG smh
It was actually a pretty big deal that he can shoot at all I am guessing to a lot of you
Except Garland was a shooter in college. He made shots in games.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:25 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Here's some great fodder for the rumor mill from Ben with RCF who has solid media connections:

The cross link is fine. I'd be even angrier with Drummond but we wouldn't have the 3rd pick without him being unprofessional I guess.

As far as the Lakers and Mavs being the two most interested teams, just yuck. The Lakers have nothing to trade. I could live with DFS and a couple lightly protected 1sts out of Dallas I guess.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#130 » by Revenged25 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:54 pm

Stillwater wrote:

who is this RCF poster Ben ? does he have some kind of history of respectable knowledge or something? Is he a Cavs staffer or just a CLE reporter using a alias ? I can buy this fd up org wanted Sexton off the bench to help the 2nd unit and that would be enough for him to be unhappy if that is true. Maybe they are shopping him if that is the case. what a fkd up org

There doesn't seem to be anything saying Sexton wouldn't come off the bench.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#131 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:21 pm

Stillwater wrote:

Ben is the recently retired owner/admin of RCF and has some known connections with media members. Sometime he drops some details later that weren't reported on directly at the time.

His accuracy is quite good and he's careful in what he says to not harm his sources. I imagine he's opening up some because of his retirement.

What I've gathered over the years is there's lot of chit chat that goes on behind the scenes that colors opinions but is often not directly reported because someone can get fired or lose a beat.

So that's the likely reason we're hearing now that the Cavs interest in trading Sexton was one of the worst kept secrets around the league.

Still I wouldn't expect the Cavs to just give Collin away and things can change. For instance maybe Collin gets whiff of this stuff and asks his agent to take another tact or maybe they asked the Cavs to trade him where he'd have the ball more.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#132 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:32 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Yeah This "ben" character claims Cavs want to pay somebody just as good as Sexton but not the same position by this comment: " I've heard that if there is a trade they'd like a young borderline all-star who is on their 2nd contract."
I get the impression that site has a lot of homer takes and a bunch of followers of whatever the media spoon feeds them
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#133 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:51 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Ben is the recently retired owner/admin of RCF and has some known connections with media members. Sometime he drops some details later that weren't reported on directly at the time.

His accuracy is quite good and he's careful in what he says to not harm his sources. I imagine he's opening up some because of his retirement.

What I've gathered over the years is there's lot of chit chat that goes on behind the scenes that colors opinions but is often not directly reported because someone can get fired or lose a beat.

So that's the likely reason we're hearing now that the Cavs interest in trading Sexton was one of the worst kept secrets around the league.

Still I wouldn't expect the Cavs to just give Collin away and things can change. For instance maybe Collin gets whiff of this stuff and asks his agent to take another tact or maybe they asked the Cavs to trade him where he'd have the ball more.

I think this orgs clusterfkd line ups although acceptable in a rebuild is looking more like mismanagement of players and poor development tactics... If they were planning on bringing Sexton off the bench permanently I could see him not liking it from a contract point of view esp if the plan was said as much too him instead of just rotation mix ups like all season and this one to close the season to see how Okoro did full time at the 2 guard spot I could see that being sensible...but not what happened and Sexton looked better playing off Okoro so if anything DG should be worried about minutes. But he wont need to by the sounds of the smokescreens being sent.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:26 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:who is this RCF poster Ben ? does he have some kind of history of respectable knowledge or something? Is he a Cavs staffer or just a CLE reporter using a alias ? I can buy this fd up org wanted Sexton off the bench to help the 2nd unit and that would be enough for him to be unhappy if that is true. Maybe they are shopping him if that is the case. what a fkd up org

I think this orgs clusterfkd line ups although acceptable in a rebuild is looking more like mismanagement of players and poor development tactics... If they were planning on bringing Sexton off the bench permanently I could see him not liking it from a contract point of view esp if the plan was said as much too him instead of just rotation mix ups like all season and this one to close the season to see how Okoro did full time at the 2 guard spot I could see that being sensible...but not what happened and Sexton looked better playing off Okoro so if anything DG should be worried about minutes. But he wont need to by the sounds of the smokescreens being sent.
This level of denialism isn't healthy. You're setting yourself up for heartbreak.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#135 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

This level of denialism isn't healthy. You're setting yourself up for heartbreak.

Lets just put it this way: if they sell cheap there is nothing to be upset about because I will just drop the mic and turn my back on the plan they have and walk away. I mean unless they wow me with some insanely effective roster change up Im out at least until after the rebuild is long over or they come to their senses and trade DG. I just dont believe they can win with DG as a starter without a lot more scoring out of him.
Overall I get Sexton wanting starter usage even if it is off the bench and it is reasonable to think he might actually want out now. If they dont want to pay him that much or worse for him staying see him in the same light some other teams might as only a 6th man despite what he has done as a starter, then he is just going to leave anyway in the hopes somebody sees the value he brings that does not have the same back court defensive issues so maybe the shopping is necessary because they are dumbfks in the way they are handling it
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#136 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:12 am

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Yep, it may have never gotten that far, or whatever discussions there may have been haven't leaked.

Although it would be pretty unique if Collin's agent wasn't asking for a starting spot commitment and a max deal given his scoring and potential.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#137 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:22 am

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:who is this RCF poster Ben ? does he have some kind of history of respectable knowledge or something? Is he a Cavs staffer or just a CLE reporter using a alias ? I can buy this fd up org wanted Sexton off the bench to help the 2nd unit and that would be enough for him to be unhappy if that is true. Maybe they are shopping him if that is the case. what a fkd up org

Yeah This "ben" character claims Cavs want to pay somebody just as good as Sexton but not the same position by this comment: " I've heard that if there is a trade they'd like a young borderline all-star who is on their 2nd contract."
I get the impression that site has a lot of homer takes and a bunch of followers of whatever the media spoon feeds them

This Ben "character" has solid connections and gets a lot of stuff right ... but life is fluid ... feel free to believe something else will actually happen.

I'm just sharing some high quality rumors.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#138 » by Revenged25 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:22 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Yep, it may have never gotten that far, or whatever discussions there may have been haven't leaked.

Although it would be pretty unique if Collin's agent wasn't asking for a starting spot commitment and a max deal given his scoring and potential.

Considering efficient 24 ppg players get a max deal, it's just a matter of fact, if the Cavs still gave him starter minutes and usage even though he's coming off the bench then I'd be perfectly fine with still giving him the max, and I'm sure him and his agent wouldn't complain either since he got his money. I mean sure it would be nice to have some more scoring from our bigs, but we could have 3 20+ ppg scorers in the backcourt and 2 of them would likely be on the court at all times which means we could get away with having less scoring from our bigs. Though our bigs would have much larger defensive responsibilities.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#139 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:30 am

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Considering efficient 24 ppg players get a max deal, it's just a matter of fact, if the Cavs still gave him starter minutes and usage even though he's coming off the bench then I'd be perfectly fine with still giving him the max, and I'm sure him and his agent wouldn't complain either since he got his money. I mean sure it would be nice to have some more scoring from our bigs, but we could have 3 20+ ppg scorers in the backcourt and 2 of them would likely be on the court at all times which means we could get away with having less scoring from our bigs. Though our bigs would have much larger defensive responsibilities.
I think one of the reasons Sexton's agent is angry is because it's not all certain he'll get that deal if the Cavs don't give it to him. I can game out a scenario with Knicks or Thunder, but it's hardly a forgone conclusion.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#140 » by Revenged25 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:32 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I think one of the reasons Sexton's agent is angry is because it's not all certain he'll get that deal if the Cavs don't give it to him. I can game out a scenario with Knicks or Thunder, but it's hardly a forgone conclusion.

I think Sexton would be 3 or 4th on their lists. I think #1 on both the Knicks or Thunder's lists to max will be SGA though. Though seriously, if he were to come off the bench this year and still score 24+ ppg efficiently, then he's getting a max and no one will bat an eye at it since that's what efficient 24 ppg gets.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers