You max Embiid without blinking
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Re: Daryl Morey's unimpressive first year with the Sixers 

Post#62 » by syntax » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:56 am

Sportfan73 wrote:You max Embiid without blinking

Hah.

His last contract was loaded with clauses for the Sixers to get out of it if he was injured.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#63 » by Sportfan73 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:56 am

syntax wrote:

Hah.

His last contract was loaded with clauses for the Sixers to get out of it if he was injured.

Yeah before he became a top 5 player lol
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#64 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:04 am

Its unimpressive because their entire plan was to get Morey so they can end up with Harden.

Now, Morey and Doc didnt sign up for this and they’re now in one hell of a ride
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,704

Post#65 » by the_process » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:05 am

Sportfan73 wrote:
syntax wrote:

Hah.

Yeah before he became a top 5 player lol

Yeah... I still think you need to write some protections in there. 50M at age 33 for Embiid is not an exciting prospect.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#66 » by Sportfan73 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:09 am

76ciology wrote:Its unimpressive because their entire plan was to get Morey so they can end up with Harden.

As long as morey is the one who’s here long term I’m not to worried
76ciology
RealGM

Post#67 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:23 am

Sportfan73 wrote:
76ciology wrote:Its unimpressive because their entire plan was to get Morey so they can end up with Harden.

I’d stay open minded and dont play favorites.

For me, i dont care who the GM is as long as he knows basketball, he knows what he is doing and gets the job done.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#68 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:28 am

Personally, It would be interesting to hear 5-10 years from now, what Morey’s real feeling about this team right now and why he really took the job.

I really think it all was to get Harden. He and the Sixers knew Rockets were eyeing to trade Harden for Ben. If you can remember there was already news about Rox will only trade Harden for Embiid waay before Harden asked for a trade.

I’d love to believe that he thinks Embiid is the ticket for this team’s championship dreams but I doubt it.

Its just hard to read his true feelings now because this guy is really good at hiding his thoughts. Yeah, you can say he’s a real good liar and thats why I like him as a GM.
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#69 » by syntax » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:35 am

76ciology wrote:Personally, It would be interesting to hear 5-10 years from now, what Morey’s real feeling about this team right now and why he really took the job.

I really think it all was to get Harden. He and the Sixers knew Rockets were eyeing to trade Harden for Ben. If you can remember there was already news about Rox will only trade Harden for Embiid waay before Harden asked for a trade.

I’d love to believe that he thinks Embiid is the ticket for this team’s championship dreams but I doubt it.

Its just hard to read his true feelings now because this guy is really good at hiding his thoughts. Yeah, you can say he’s a real good liar and thats why I like him as a GM.

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/22/daryl-morey-believes-nba-makes-it-tough-for-teams-to-build-around-big-men/

Some of his thoughts. I doubt he signed on the off chance of aquiring one player.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#70 » by 76ciology » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:53 am

syntax wrote:
76ciology wrote:Personally, It would be interesting to hear 5-10 years from now, what Morey’s real feeling about this team right now and why he really took the job.

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/22/daryl-morey-believes-nba-makes-it-tough-for-teams-to-build-around-big-men/

Some of his thoughts. I doubt he signed on the off chance of aquiring one player.

Same thing ive been saying about building around bigs.

Im not saying with certainty that he did sign with us with the chance of getting Harden. But for me it’s the likely scenario.

Everyone around the league, even our insider here said. “If ben is on the table, the deal is done”. Just think about it.

Anyway if there’s a guy who the city would trust to do some really bold moves, its morey.

Like if Morey trades Embiid, I dont think the ownership will get enough heat compared to if Brand will do it.

But I dont expect he trades Embiid, specially after he said its hard to build around a big.

Morey make makes stupid moves as a GM. But in giving out public statements, Morey is a genius.

Before i usually listen to what he says. Because im curious about how he thinks. Then the more i listen to his interviews the more i feel like its all smoke and mirrors. Sometimes he goes into these hour long interviews that he really isnt giving out any substance and just divert the interview into other topics like crypto currency and etc. he’d be a great spy because no one can get him to spill out the truth in an interrogation
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#71 » by jbent87 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:32 pm

I would love to hear Morey breach the topic of possibly trading Embiid if the opportunity ever presented itself with ownership, specifically including Embiids BFF, Michael Rubin. Not advocating for that by any means, but Morey doesn't seem like the kind of guy to sell low on anyone, which is what a Ben trade would be right now. If there is a team out there that would pay a Kings ransom for Embiid, I think Morey would be intrigued with that. Just then wonder what the conversation turns into, internally. Can't imagine him getting a green light on that from this group.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,811

Post#72 » by Stanford » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:34 pm

the_process wrote:50M at age 33 for Embiid is not an exciting prospect.

woof
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#73 » by snoopdogg88 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:53 pm

I think both Daryl and Doc came into this situation with a level of arrogance and nativity when it came to Ben.

Basically they didn’t realize how bad it was until they saw it up close on a nightly basis.

When you follow the Sixers from afar on the west coast you just see the numbers and the wins and assume Ben is fine the way he is.
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 646

Post#74 » by HardenToSixers » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:06 pm

76ciology wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:

For me, i dont care who the GM is as long as he knows basketball, he knows what he is doing and gets the job done.

Agreed. And BC really got the job done.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#75 » by kio80 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:09 pm

I hate Morey, coulda gotten Harden if he didn’t go back on his words and made the Rockets look like fools by taking the job in Philly.
Guy with no class will never win a chip, mark my words, as long as Morey stays in Philly, no soup for Philly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM

Post#76 » by 76ciology » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:38 pm

HardenToSixers wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:As long as morey is the one who’s here long term I’m not to worried

Agreed. And BC really got the job done.

If you’re being sarcastic. BC is not my favorite GM. And personally, I hate cancel culture. You can’t just cancel him out just because he replaced Hinkie, who’s also made a lot of mistakes when he was here.

I just feel that he should get credit for what he has done. I mean, Morey pretty much just re-do what he did recreating the same structure of team BC did.

But I hate BC for drafting Ben, instead of Ingram, who has proven to be the better player.

I understand the rationale in drafting Fultz, and we’re until now finding a player like fultz. The perimeter playmaker who can run PnR.

We jumped from a lottery team into a playoff team with BC’s roster. And i think 3 years has passed, we have seen that Ben and Biid aren’t that good so it’s not like we can just surround them with random players and be able to win a series. Beli, Jj and Ersan all played a big part in the playoffs. Hell, if we need a basket down the stretch, the guy we go to was JJ or Beli.

BC knows the game. He knows Brett couldnt coach. He already placed MDA to replace him. He built the right way with the Suns, Raps and the 2017-2018 Sixers. But he F’d up when he drafted Ben. All his career he has the foresight to see where the trend of basketball is going and yet he drafted a guard who can’t shoot.

I’d like to add that, I think EB is the best GM we had since 2014. He brought the 2nd and the 3rd best Sixers after Embiid, in Butler and Tobias. Traded just role players and future role players to get those two. Morey was right when he said something like EB is a good and promising GM.

Sure he overpaid Al, but nobody wants to play for our team unless they’re overpaid. While we have to use our capspace either with it going to get used by extending our guys. I personally dont really care about cap space, it’s josh harris’ problem. Cap space for what? To sign Anthony Tolliver and Gary Clark?

But Brand built the best Sixers team in this process era during the 2018-2019 season. And we were the favorites to make it to the finals after we acquired Al by almost all media outlets and even analytics like 538. If we had Seth instead of Josh Rich last season while Biid found his jumper and Ben was healthy, we probably could easily made it past the first round. Maybe even made it to the finals and live up to what many project us to be.

8 years has passed. Look around the league.

You think using lottery pick to draft centers after centers with never even using a single one of those lottery picks for a perimeter playmaker didnt brought us here? He didnt foresee centers are turning into liabilities than assets when GMs were passing up centers while we were the suckers who keeps buying them because of BPA?

We would have been in the abyss if Hinkie was able to trade up for Wiggins like what he planned to do back then.
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#77 » by thenbaman » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:46 pm

Morey is so bad winning the division like that,what was he thinking?
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#78 » by Negrodamus » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:55 pm

Remember when Colangelo signed Jerryd Bayless to a 3yr/27mil contract?

Gerald Henderson for 2yr/18mil.

Amir Johnson 1yr/11mil

If I didn't do a minor dive into his moves, I would have forgotten these guys were on our team at one point, much less taking up not insignificant contracts.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#79 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:29 pm

If I understand you correctly Morey master plan was to get Harden? That may have been plan "A" but I am sure he has several contingency plans too. I mean if he did not he would be an extremely shortsighted GM and he has been known as a GM with an extremely long view.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#80 » by zaz102 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:38 pm

Eyeamok wrote:

If I understand you correctly Morey master plan was to get Harden? That may have been plan "A" but I am sure he has several contingency plans too. I mean if he did not he would be an extremely shortsighted GM and he has been known as a GM with an extremely long view.
Also, why would Morey help to get Harden? Name one time in sports history where a GM left a team and a superstar forced a trade to the GM's new team. Outside of thinking he did a good job (minor factor), why would Harden care to be on Morey's team?

It makes a lot more sense for him to force himself to market/city or other players (i.e. Brooklyn/Philly, and buddies Irving/Durant) or a winning team which he happened to get all three.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers