Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Re: Nico Harrison being pursued to be Pres of BBAll Operations 

Post#61 » by Mr B » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:26 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
JJP wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:What are the chances the Mavs failures in Free Agency are just Donnie Nelson & Rick Carlisle don't make an attractive pairing, but Nico Harrison & Jason Kidd do?

Pretty good I'd say. But having said that, most players in FA are choosing salary as their prime reason to go to another team. So I'm not sure how much this changes the math for any FA.

Also, I wish people would quit slobbering over Lillard. Don't you think Portland values him just a little more than KP? They won't send him here because it's in the best interest of Lillard. They only send him here if it's in the best interest of the Portland franchise. Dallas has nothing to offer.

Personally, I would like to see Dame stay in POR. He's built different like Dirk. However, he's around that age Dirk was at where if he hadn't won in 2011, I think Dirk would have started thinking about leaving. Dame is only 2 years younger than Dirk was at that point, so think about where Dirk's head was at in 2009. Bounced in 5 vs the Nuggets in round 2. The 2006 collapse in the Finals, the 2007 disappointment. 2008 1st round exit vs New Orleans. Dirk has said winning the title in 2011 made much easier on him. Said "I don't know" regarding whether he would have started looking for another situation he could contend for a title if Dallas hadn't won in 2011. He said in 2015 when the Warriors started getting good (and Dallas was in a tailspin), Golden State reached out to Dirk about joining them. He said the 2011 title made that decision easy.

Dame is on that same trajectory. The 2019 disappointment in the WCF, then 2 years of getting bounced in the 1st round. Christ he put up 55 in a game where he hit the shot to send it to OT. He can't do much more. He has to be thinking about what his future holds, even though his heart is in POR.

POR isn't going to have a choice if Dame wants to go. HOU didn't want to trade Harden, but they did. All Dame has to do is tell his publicist, let the Oregonian know I'm requesting a trade. The fan base will support Dame not the Blazers. Dame already resigned with them once. POR can't afford to be seen as the organization who played hardball with fan favorite and all around good guy Dame Lilliard. They can kiss their hopes of ever attracting quality FAs good bye. Right now, NBA players love POR. The fans sung happy birthday to Carmelo during a game. He actually got a little choked up. Players respect POR. The whole NBA respects Dame.

I still think he's a year or two away from requesting a trade, but if he does I'd bet money it's to come to DAL.

I honestly think Dame is going to play out this season. See what changes the team makes and and see how Billups does as the coach. If they don’t at very least get to the 2nd round (and have a good showing) I could see him wanting out. Does anyone know if he has a no trade clause in his contract? That will say a lot about where he goes if he forces a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#62 » by agentofatlas » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:00 am

Mr B wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
JJP wrote:
Pretty good I'd say. But having said that, most players in FA are choosing salary as their prime reason to go to another team. So I'm not sure how much this changes the math for any FA.

Also, I wish people would quit slobbering over Lillard. Don't you think Portland values him just a little more than KP? They won't send him here because it's in the best interest of Lillard. They only send him here if it's in the best interest of the Portland franchise. Dallas has nothing to offer.

Personally, I would like to see Dame stay in POR. He's built different like Dirk. However, he's around that age Dirk was at where if he hadn't won in 2011, I think Dirk would have started thinking about leaving. Dame is only 2 years younger than Dirk was at that point, so think about where Dirk's head was at in 2009. Bounced in 5 vs the Nuggets in round 2. The 2006 collapse in the Finals, the 2007 disappointment. 2008 1st round exit vs New Orleans. Dirk has said winning the title in 2011 made much easier on him. Said "I don't know" regarding whether he would have started looking for another situation he could contend for a title if Dallas hadn't won in 2011. He said in 2015 when the Warriors started getting good (and Dallas was in a tailspin), Golden State reached out to Dirk about joining them. He said the 2011 title made that decision easy.

Dame is on that same trajectory. The 2019 disappointment in the WCF, then 2 years of getting bounced in the 1st round. Christ he put up 55 in a game where he hit the shot to send it to OT. He can't do much more. He has to be thinking about what his future holds, even though his heart is in POR.

POR isn't going to have a choice if Dame wants to go. HOU didn't want to trade Harden, but they did. All Dame has to do is tell his publicist, let the Oregonian know I'm requesting a trade. The fan base will support Dame not the Blazers. Dame already resigned with them once. POR can't afford to be seen as the organization who played hardball with fan favorite and all around good guy Dame Lilliard. They can kiss their hopes of ever attracting quality FAs good bye. Right now, NBA players love POR. The fans sung happy birthday to Carmelo during a game. He actually got a little choked up. Players respect POR. The whole NBA respects Dame.

I still think he's a year or two away from requesting a trade, but if he does I'd bet money it's to come to DAL.

I honestly think Dame is going to play out this season. See what changes the team makes and and see how Billups does as the coach. If they don’t at very least get to the 2nd round (and have a good showing) I could see him wanting out. Does anyone know if he has a no trade clause in his contract? That will say a lot about where he goes if he forces a trade.

If they under perform I can see him forcing his way to LA than Dallas. Him and AD seem like a natural fit. Also his off court interests lines up well with the city.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#63 » by JJP » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:53 am

There's pretty big backlash against Billups hiring. They didn't hire Hammons - who probably was better qualified - and then an old sexual assault case that included Billups (never amounted to anything) then rears its ugly head.

It's pretty near impossible that Dame ends up here, but it doesn't bode well for this organization right now.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#64 » by Mr B » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:18 pm

JJP wrote:There's pretty big backlash against Billups hiring. They didn't hire Hammons - who probably was better qualified - and then an old sexual assault case that included Billups (never amounted to anything) then rears its ugly head.

It's pretty near impossible that Dame ends up here, but it doesn't bode well for this organization right now.

He was accused of rape (gang rape actually). He settled out of court before it went to trial. He was never convicted or actually even legally charged. The fact that he paid the lady off is leading some to believe that Billups is actually guilty.

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#65 » by arkuo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:38 pm

Mr B wrote:
JJP wrote:There's pretty big backlash against Billups hiring. They didn't hire Hammons - who probably was better qualified - and then an old sexual assault case that included Billups (never amounted to anything) then rears its ugly head.

He was accused of rape (gang rape actually). He settled out of court before it went to trial. He was never convicted or actually even legally charged. The fact that he paid the lady off is leading some to believe that Billups is actually guilty.

A lot of Portland fans and probably some people within the Blazers management criticized Dame for supporting Billups. And Dame tweeted a cryptic message saying it's not the people who changes, but it's the mask that falls off.

IMO, the faster they implode the better chance of Dame just being fed up and leaving.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#66 » by arkuo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:42 pm

agentofatlas wrote:
Mr B wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

If they under perform I can see him forcing his way to LA than Dallas. Him and AD seem like a natural fit. Also his off court interests lines up well with the city.

I can see him going to LA too. But Cuban just has too many connections, even with the Allen family. The owners. Paul Allen took Cuban under his wing and God knows how many family dinners they had over the years. Remember when Mchale did Boston a solid and sent them KG? Yeah it happens in the NBA.

Cuban hiring Lilard's people is an edge. Not a guarantee, but an edge. So if and when it comes down to that, Dallas is prepared and not holding their d!cks in their hands wondering what package to offer. It's actually good that they're prepared for either scenario. This is a couple of years down. At least a season more.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#67 » by Mr B » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:32 pm

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:

A lot of Portland fans and probably some people within the Blazers management criticized Dame for supporting Billups. And Dame tweeted a cryptic message saying it's not the people who changes, but it's the mask that falls off.

IMO, the faster they implode the better chance of Dame just being fed up and leaving.

I agree! I’m going to have an eye on them all season long.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,005

Post#68 » by HMFFL » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:42 am

Golden State can put together a great package for Dame that would include two lottery picks (#7 & #14). Wiseman being an option too. Much more would need to be included.
Neil Olshey is the type of GM that's going to get caught sitting on his hands and not believing Dame will eventually want out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
RealGM

Post#69 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:53 am

HMFFL wrote:Golden State can put together a great package for Dame that would include two lottery picks (#7 & #14). Wiseman being an option too. Much more would need to be included.
Neil Olshey is the type of GM that's going to get caught sitting on his hands and not believing Dame will eventually want out.

One thing I have not heard anyone confirm. Does Dame have a no trade clause? I ask because if he does he can dictate what team he goes to just like Harden did. He can basically say send me to Dallas. More than likely he will have a list of two or three teams and will tell the Blazers I will only accept a trade to one of these teams. So it wouldn’t matter if Golden State can offer more if they are not on his list. I would expect Dallas to be on the list so the Mavs would just need to be able to beat the offer by the other teams in his list. Right now we have no idea if he has a no trade clause or not and if he does what teams would be on his list.

Mr B
RealGM

Nico Harrison being pursued to be Pres of BBAll Operations 

Post#70 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:55 am

Whichever way it goes (good or bad) this is where the new regime starts.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,375

Post#71 » by Mavrelous » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:24 am

HMFFL wrote:Golden State can put together a great package for Dame that would include two lottery picks (#7 & #14). Wiseman being an option too. Much more would need to be included.

Portland would be smart to trade Dame now, he's 31, owed 200 million/4 and not winning anything for them, for the sake of the franchise and Dame, they should trade him to a better situation (Philly, OKC and NOP would be my most likely candidates)
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
arkuo
General Manager

Post#72 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:05 am

KhalilS wrote:

Portland would be smart to trade Dame now, he's 31, owed 200 million/4 and not winning anything for them, for the sake of the franchise and Dame, they should trade him to a better situation (Philly, OKC and NOP would be my most likely candidates)

It's exactly the situation Kevin Garnett faced in Minnesota. 31 year old All NBA talent with the team going nowhere.

It's likely he requests to be sent somewhere. If he waits for his supermax to finish he will be 36 and not as useful.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#73 » by JJP » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:20 am

I don't believe it's "likely" he gets sent anywhere. If he does get sent somewhere, it's more likely Golden State.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#74 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:33 pm

KhalilS wrote:

Are you saying those are the most likely teams he will be traded to because that’s where he wants to go or because those team can give the best offer. They are not the same thing.

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,375

Post#75 » by Mavrelous » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:36 pm

These are the team able to provide permium package and still be contenders.
NOP has Zion/AI and have Hayes/NAW+ some picks to deal, OKC have boatload of picks, some of them very interesting, Philly has Simmons + Thybulle + picks.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mr B
RealGM

Post#76 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:42 pm

KhalilS wrote:These are the team able to provide permium package and still be contenders.
NOP has Zion/AI and have Hayes/NAW+ some picks to deal, OKC have boatload of picks, some of them very interesting, Philly has Simmons + Thybulle + picks.

I just looked it up. Lillard does NOT have a no trade clause. So they could technically send him to the team with best offer. I doubt they will send him somewhere he doesn’t want to go though. So I would rule out OKC and NOP. Neither of those teams are better than the Blazers right now. He’s not going to force a trade to a worse team.

Golden state has a chance however I’ve never heard it leaked that he has an interest in the Warriors. Aren’t the Warriors in a worse position with the cap than Portland too?

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#77 » by HMFFL » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:55 pm

Mr B wrote:

One thing I have not heard anyone confirm. Does Dame have a no trade clause? I ask because if he does he can dictate what team he goes to just like Harden did. He can basically say send me to Dallas. More than likely he will have a list of two or three teams and will tell the Blazers I will only accept a trade to one of these teams. So it wouldn’t matter if Golden State can offer more if they are not on his list. I would expect Dallas to be on the list so the Mavs would just need to be able to beat the offer by the other teams in his list. Right now we have no idea if he has a no trade clause or not and if he does what teams would be on his list.

He doesn't have a no trade clause.
With superstar talent we know they basically provide a list of teams they want to be traded to and most cases they are traded to one of their preferred teams.

The most recent exception was Kawhi Leonard when he was traded to Toronto.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#78 » by HMFFL » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:02 pm

Mr B wrote:
KhalilS wrote:These are the team able to provide permium package and still be contenders.

I just looked it up. Lillard does NOT have a no trade clause. So they could technically send him to the team with best offer. I doubt they will send him somewhere he doesn’t want to go though. So I would rule out OKC and NOP. Neither of those teams are better than the Blazers right now. He’s not going to force a trade to a worse team.

Golden state has a chance however I’ve never heard it leaked that he has an interest in the Warriors. Aren’t the Warriors in a worse position with the cap than Portland too?

Golden State pulling off a Lillard trade seems difficult. He has a player option in 2024 that will pay him roughly $54m.

2020-21: $43,750,000
2021-22: $47,250,000
2022-23: $50,750,000

After just looking at the Warriors payroll I suppose a trade would need to start with Wiggins, Wiseman, 7th and 14th lottery pick. Future draft picks or Jordan Poole?

Mr B
RealGM

Post#79 » by Mr B » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:22 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Golden State pulling off a Lillard trade seems difficult. He has a player option in 2024 that will pay him roughly $54m.

2020-21: $43,750,000
2021-22: $47,250,000
2022-23: $50,750,000

After just looking at the Warriors payroll I suppose a trade would need to start with Wiggins, Wiseman, 7th and 14th lottery pick. Future draft picks or Jordan Poole?

I know Lillard is from the Bay area but with their payroll I don’t see how they can trade for Lillard. Really the only team that I have heard that Lillard would like to be traded to is Utah. Do they have the assets?

JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#80 » by JJP » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:43 pm

After just looking at the Warriors payroll I suppose a trade would need to start with Wiggins, Wiseman, 7th and 14th lottery pick.

I have actually seen that very trade proposed elsewhere.

But I don't think he's going anywhere.

Return to Dallas Mavericks