Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 3

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,336

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 3 

Post#121 » by Mavrelous » Sat Jul 3, 2021 2:19 pm

Any idea why Maxi isn't playing with Germany?

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#122 » by Archx » Sat Jul 3, 2021 2:21 pm

KhalilS wrote:Any idea why Maxi isn't playing with Germany?

I think he still had problems with his achilles injury.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#123 » by Mavrelous » Sat Jul 3, 2021 2:22 pm

I'd sign German Mo Wagner, too many nice guys on the Mavs, they need someone like him.

blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,901

Post#124 » by Dirk » Sat Jul 3, 2021 2:31 pm

KhalilS wrote:This performance will not be anywhefe near enough against Lithuania.

Fast forwarded through first half. So... I don't really watch VEN on offense.

Slovenia has Luka do everything. Pretty much the same as the Mavs do. It's very glaring.

Coach was asked at HT about a possible groin injury for Luka. Coach said it "was nothing".

30 seconds into the video
60/21/10
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#125 » by Mavrelous » Sat Jul 3, 2021 3:14 pm

Classis Luka, near triple double, passing marvle, FG%>FT%

Archx
RealGM

Post#126 » by Archx » Sat Jul 3, 2021 3:15 pm

Vintage Doncic with 1 rebound shy of triple double, 55% FT and 60% 3pt :lol:
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#127 » by Mavrelous » Sat Jul 3, 2021 3:37 pm

The lack of P&R between Luka and KP is a real headscratcher, Luka is nastering it with Tobey, Mavs must utilize it, it's unstoppable.
Luka is 6'6" KP is 7'3" and no one is stopping the pass between them.

Speadge
Junior
And1: 300

Post#128 » by Speadge » Sat Jul 3, 2021 5:21 pm

Let's swap this other Tobi for Bobi! :)

Tomorrow "grand finale": Slovenia vs Lithuania

July 4, 18:30 CEST (if my conversion is correct it starts at 11:30 AM in Dallas)
Archx
RealGM

Post#129 » by Archx » Sat Jul 3, 2021 6:19 pm

KhalilS wrote:The lack of P&R between Luka and KP is a real headscratcher, Luka is nastering it with Tobey, Mavs must utilize it, it's unstoppable.

This is something i could never understand why Rick didn't exploit it more. KP sets weak screens, you can argue that, but the fact that he rather rolled backwards to the logo instead of going to the rim, is also puzzling. Luka gets insane amount of assists in FIBA because his roll guys go to the rim, how the hell are you 7'3 and can't achieve that in the NBA when centers can't even camp under the rim.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#130 » by Mavrelous » Sat Jul 3, 2021 7:35 pm

Speadge wrote:Let's swap this other Tobi for Bobi! :)

July 4, 18:30 CEST (if my conversion is correct it starts at 11:30 AM in Dallas)

Tobi is playing lower level Spanish team (as in no Real or Barcelona), I think he'll happily sign for the minimum.
BTW how did he get the Slovenian passport?
Speadge
Junior

Post#131 » by Speadge » Sun Jul 4, 2021 12:21 am

KhalilS wrote:

Tobi is playing lower level Spanish team (as in no Real or Barcelona), I think he'll happily sign for the minimum.
BTW how did he get the Slovenian passport?

The same as Arriel McDonald, Anthony Randolph and Jordan Morgan through last decades.

There's exception in Slovenian legislation which allows in exceptional cases with the consent of the government the acquisition of Slovenian citizenship by a person who does not live in Slovenia.

It's about individuals who have or would in the future through their activities make an exceptional contribution to the development of the country or increase the international reputation, recognition ... (a top athletes, scientists, etc...)
Those cases are rather rare and a lot of strings needs to be pulled to make it possible. In this specific case Ministry of the Interior, Ministry of Education, Science and Sport, Olympic Committee of Slovenia, and some others.

Unlike in some bigger and richer countries there's not some extra money involved for naturalized player, but other benefits (ie. EU password which allows him to live, move and work in whole EU, wider international exposure for a relatively uknown player with playing beside Doncic, etc...) so the benefit is still mutual.
Not to mention that Slovenians praise a top athletes who successfully represent the country like a gods. The smaller country the more it matters :)

And FIBA allows one naturalized player to be on the roster of a national team per game of course.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#132 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jul 4, 2021 7:22 am

Sucks, I had my eyes at Satoransky as a good PG that doesn't require many assets to acquire, now his stock will shoot up, especially if the Czech beat the Greece 2nd unit (who for the life of me, I can't understand how they beat Turkey).
Satoransky + Markannen would be to good players who won't require lots of assets to acquire (I guess Powell+JRich+Brunson would do).
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#133 » by boogiezen » Sun Jul 4, 2021 8:08 am

Archx wrote:
KhalilS wrote:The lack of P&R between Luka and KP is a real headscratcher, Luka is nastering it with Tobey, Mavs must utilize it, it's unstoppable.

This is something i could never understand why Rick didn't exploit it more. KP sets weak screens, you can argue that, but the fact that he rather rolled backwards to the logo instead of going to the rim, is also puzzling. Luka gets insane amount of assists in FIBA because his roll guys go to the rim, how the hell are you 7'3 and can't achieve that in the NBA when centers can't even camp under the rim.

Actually the reason they did not go to the PnR with KP was because in the first five games, he was guarded by Kawhi. There was once sequence when he was trying to dribble the ball in the perimeter and resulted to a TO. The same strategy when they played against Utah. O'Neal was the one guarding KP. With KP's limitation, like he has no inside game or post up game, there was nothing Carlisle could do.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#134 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jul 4, 2021 9:13 am

boogiezen wrote:
Archx wrote:

Actually the reason they did not go to the PnR with KP was because in the first five games, he was guarded by Kawhi. There was once sequence when he was trying to dribble the ball in the perimeter and resulted to a TO. The same strategy when they played against Utah. O'Neal was the one guarding KP. With KP's limitation, like he has no inside game or post up game, there was nothing Carlisle could do.
It rarely happend in RS also.

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#135 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jul 4, 2021 4:47 pm

Luka is color blind, he plays Lithuania and sees Clippers jersies...
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#136 » by Dirk » Sun Jul 4, 2021 4:47 pm

KhalilS wrote:Luka is color blind, he plays Lithuania and sees Clippers jersies...

Again missed the start?

Isnt this game in like 1 hour?
60/21/10
Speadge
Junior

Post#137 » by Speadge » Sun Jul 4, 2021 4:49 pm

What a dynamics. Completely different basketball on both sides compared to previous three games.
Speadge
Junior

Post#138 » by Speadge » Sun Jul 4, 2021 4:50 pm

Dirk wrote:Again missed the start?

What's the time in Dallas right now? :P

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#139 » by Dirk » Sun Jul 4, 2021 4:56 pm

Speadge wrote:
Dirk wrote:Again missed the start?

What's the time in Dallas right now? :P

It's my fault. I had set reminders with the wrong times (by 1 hour).

Good thing is ESPN+ has a rewind button.

I'll start watching soon and fast forward through it. I'll be back live in no time.
60/21/10
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#140 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jul 4, 2021 4:56 pm

Get Luka back in, he has enough time to rest afterwards!!!!!!

Return to Dallas Mavericks