Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#901 » by closg00 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:49 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Read on Twitter

I do not think Aaron Wiggins will be returning to Maryland. He will be drafted probably in the second round.

Four players this year got called up and three in particular popped from those who were invited: South Carolina's AJ Lawson, Maryland's Aaron Wiggins and Ohio State's Duane Washington Jr. Each of the three brought something different to the table and impressed in different ways -- Lawson with his athleticism, Wiggins with his positional size and versatility, and Washington Jr. with his fearlessness as a slasher and scorer. Louisville's Carlik Jones, the fourth invitee, also looked the part at the G League Elite Camp, with his scoring ability separating himself.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2021-nba-draft-combine-winners-and-losers-keon-johnson-soars-college-stars-struggle-in-front-of-scouts/
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#902 » by Halcyon » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:27 pm

I think Wiggins is gone.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#903 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:30 pm

Not seeing what's so good about Wiggins's size, tbh. I think itd be a stretch for him to play the 3, and he's not much of a ball-handler to play the 2. This is a deep draft, and some good players won't get drafted - My guess is he won't get drafted, but he's got a chance. Hopefully, he's careful to keep his options open.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#905 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:52 pm

Wow, their 4th transfer received in the offseason. He's more like a freshman - at 18 in a few days, because he barely played for Arizona State, but he was a 4 star recruit - 111 overall last year. He's got players ahead of him, so he'll have to do well to get playing time. We shall see.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#906 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:39 am

BTW, Maryland ranked 336th in possessions per game (pace) last season. I don't really get the Fatts Russell pickup, because I doubt the pace will get faster with Wahab along. I'll assume that Wiggins is gone, but that Ayala will return. Here's how I see the line up if EA returns and Wiggins is gone. If Ayala is gone, Martinez will be the two.

PG Russell, Marcus Dockery
SG Ayala, Martinez, Ike Cornish
SF Hakim Hart, James Graham
PF Donta Scott, Simon Wright (Elon transfer), Pavlo Dziuba
C Wahab, Julian Reese
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#907 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#908 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:44 pm

Good news.

I have a feeling Aaron Wiggins might do the same.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#909 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:59 pm

80sballboy wrote:BTW, Maryland ranked 336th in possessions per game (pace) last season. I don't really get the Fatts Russell pickup, because I doubt the pace will get faster with Wahab along. I'll assume that Wiggins is gone, but that Ayala will return. Here's how I see the line up if EA returns and Wiggins is gone. If Ayala is gone, Martinez will be the two.

C Wahab, Julian Reese

With Ayala back, that's a deep roster. Honestly, I thought Ayala was our MVP last season. If he could be more consistent with this 3 and get his 3 point shooting up to 40%, he could be All-Conference and perhaps get a tryout with an NBA team. He's not a flashy athlete, but he's a powerful player with driving ability and a physical defender.

I'm hoping Julian Reese makes a big impact next season.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#910 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:BTW, Maryland ranked 336th in possessions per game (pace) last season. I don't really get the Fatts Russell pickup, because I doubt the pace will get faster with Wahab along. I'll assume that Wiggins is gone, but that Ayala will return. Here's how I see the line up if EA returns and Wiggins is gone. If Ayala is gone, Martinez will be the two.

C Wahab, Julian Reese

With Ayala back, that's a deep roster. Honestly, I thought Ayala was our MVP last season. If he could be more consistent with this 3 and get his 3 point shooting up to 40%, he could be All-Conference and perhaps get a tryout with an NBA team. He's not a flashy athlete, but he's a powerful player with driving ability and a physical defender.

I'm hoping Julian Reese makes a big impact next season.

I love Reese and hear that he's doing very well in off-season workouts. Never been a big Ayala fan, but thought he was better off the ball last year when Hakim Hart was handling the ball more. Was inconsistent. They need a star or close to one and that's Wiggins. Now, maybe Ian Martinez could be the instant scorer off the bench. He shot 49.5% from the field, but just 32.4% from beyond the arc at Colorado. Not sure if that means he was Brad Beal-lite or he just scored off transition.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#911 » by Wizardspride » Sat Jul 3, 2021 5:22 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#912 » by Ruzious » Sat Jul 3, 2021 11:00 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

At best, he's an end of the 2nd round pick - that's not a good situation, imo - with him falling out of ESPN's mock. But he can probably get a spot on a G League team, and that might be better for him than going back to MD.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#913 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jul 4, 2021 12:13 am

Well, with the NIL, I wonder if some athletes will stay in school, knowing that they can make a few duckets endorsing some things. Maryland already has about five student-athletes (4 FB, 1 WBB) ready to endorse video games. I think Wiggins can do a few things to make money. One of the options is to do a radio spot once a week on one of Maryland's flagship stations. That could earn nearly as much as he'll make in the G-League, assuming he doesn't get drafted.

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-football/2021/7/1/22558455/maryland-athletics-student-athlete-name-image-and-likeness-nil-deals-tracker-social-media-promotions
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#914 » by Wizardspride » Mon Jul 5, 2021 12:50 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#915 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 5, 2021 2:22 pm

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#916 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 5, 2021 2:26 pm

80sballboy wrote:Well, with the NIL, I wonder if some athletes will stay in school, knowing that they can make a few duckets endorsing some things. Maryland already has about five student-athletes (4 FB, 1 WBB) ready to endorse video games. I think Wiggins can do a few things to make money. One of the options is to do a radio spot once a week on one of Maryland's flagship stations. That could earn nearly as much as he'll make in the G-League, assuming he doesn't get drafted.

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-football/2021/7/1/22558455/maryland-athletics-student-athlete-name-image-and-likeness-nil-deals-tracker-social-media-promotions

The potential for abuse is enormous. Not sure how they prevent wealthy boosters from doing whatever they want to get top players to go to their schools. It'll probably help MD because of Under Armor's owner Kevin Plank being a huge MD fan.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#917 » by Wizardspride » Mon Jul 5, 2021 3:53 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Well, with the NIL, I wonder if some athletes will stay in school, knowing that they can make a few duckets endorsing some things. Maryland already has about five student-athletes (4 FB, 1 WBB) ready to endorse video games. I think Wiggins can do a few things to make money. One of the options is to do a radio spot once a week on one of Maryland's flagship stations. That could earn nearly as much as he'll make in the G-League, assuming he doesn't get drafted.

The potential for abuse is enormous. Not sure how they prevent wealthy boosters from doing whatever they want to get top players to go to their schools. It'll probably help MD because of Under Armor's owner Kevin Plank being a huge MD fan.

So wealthy boosters do what they normally do? :D

At least this way every deal has to be approved/regulated.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#918 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 5, 2021 6:48 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

That's fine, but what are the rules? If everything's legal, then what's the purpose of regulating it?
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#919 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 5, 2021 6:56 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Ruzious wrote:The potential for abuse is enormous. Not sure how they prevent wealthy boosters from doing whatever they want to get top players to go to their schools. It'll probably help MD because of Under Armor's owner Kevin Plank being a huge MD fan.

That's fine, but what are the rules? If everything's legal, then what's the purpose of regulating it?

NIL means Name, Image, and Likeness. Not to get paid under the table just because Billy Bob wants you to go his school. That will still be illegal. The schools can't pay them. The booster can't pay them directly, but sure, they will be giving them $$$ to endorse their car dealerships or restaurants or whatever. I think it's going to be nuts at first, but somebody will have to regulate it. Not sure the NCAA is the organization for that job right now since they are powerless.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#920 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 5, 2021 7:04 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:So wealthy boosters do what they normally do? :D

NIL means Name, Image, and Likeness. Not to get paid under the table just because Billy Bob wants you to go his school. That will still be illegal. The schools can't pay them. The booster can't pay them directly, but sure, they will be giving them $$$ to endorse their car dealerships or restaurants or whatever. I think it's going to be nuts at first, but somebody will have to regulate it. Not sure the NCAA is the organization for that job right now since they are powerless.

If they can sell their likeness, what's to stop boosters from buying a million t-shirts of 1 player?

Return to Washington Wizards