80 Mill/4 years
7%

Total votes: 29

MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,404

Re: Conley's next contract 

Post#21 » by MalonesElbows » Sun Jul 4, 2021 7:39 pm

He played well last year but not the ideal fit next to DM due to size. At his age could fall off a cliff at anytime, countless historic examples of this. What is going to change if the Jazz "run it back"? They couldn't even beat a Kawhi-less Clipper team :lol:
Time for a shakeup.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#22 » by AingesBurner » Sun Jul 4, 2021 7:48 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:He played well last year but not the ideal fit next to DM due to size. At his age could fall off a cliff at anytime, countless historic examples of this. What is going to change if the Jazz "run it back"? They couldn't even beat a Kawhi-less Clipper team :lol:
Time for a shakeup.

We should have signed DRuss when he wanted to come here and it wouldn’t have cost a single pick.
Ingles is cooked.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 771

Post#23 » by dr0welf » Mon Jul 5, 2021 2:58 pm

I think Conley is going to stay but will get a longer contract with less per year. Reason being this will probably be his last contract so you can spread it out so it doesn't hurt the team all at once and he still gets the cash. I'm thinking it will be around a 4 year 60 mil contract with a player option the last year or 2. Which will be a steal the first 2 years and a hinderance the last couple if he opts in. This gives Conley a couple years to try to get his ring here and an out if he wants to jump to a different contender for a couple tries at the end of his career. Money commitment and flexibility.

Honestly Conley takes a risk jumping. If he jumps to another team and the transition takes as long for him to mesh with his new team as it did when he came to Utah then his value drops horribly; as he will also be getting older and more and more prone to injury.

Would you sign Conley to a 4yr 60 mil contract with a player option year 3 or 4?
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 771

Post#24 » by dr0welf » Mon Jul 5, 2021 3:01 pm

GobertReport wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:He played well last year but not the ideal fit next to DM due to size. At his age could fall off a cliff at anytime, countless historic examples of this. What is going to change if the Jazz "run it back"? They couldn't even beat a Kawhi-less Clipper team :lol:
Time for a shakeup.

We should have signed DRuss when he wanted to come here and it wouldn’t have cost a single pick.

I don't think DRuss would be a good fit. That would give us another guard who shoots first and passes second. Conley has been a good fit once he adjusted.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#25 » by stitches » Mon Jul 5, 2021 3:59 pm

According to Tony Jones the Jazz will be making a hard push to keep Conley.
Read on Twitter

I don't necessarily mind it. If we are going all in, we are better with Conley than without him and the luxury tax is of no consequence to my happiness, so... if Ryan Smith is willing to go deep in his pockets for Conley... sure... go ahead.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 977

Post#26 » by red4hf » Mon Jul 5, 2021 4:07 pm

There's no way to replace Conley's production, either through the Draft or Free Agency (or trades for that matter) so this is not a surprise.......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#27 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 5, 2021 4:22 pm

We keep running the same core and getting the same results and yet so many people want to keep on running back the same group of players and hope something will change. Nothing will change. This team has hit its ceiling.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#28 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jul 5, 2021 4:22 pm

dr0welf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Time for a shakeup.

I don't think DRuss would be a good fit. That would give us another guard who shoots first and passes second. Conley has been a good fit once he adjusted.

I’d be fine with two combo guards, DRuss is 25/26 whereas Conley is 34, and we could have kept picks which means we could have needed wings or the assets to get wings. DL really misstepped in my opinion.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#29 » by stitches » Mon Jul 5, 2021 4:28 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:We keep running the same core and getting the same results and yet so many people want to keep on running back the same group of players and hope something will change. Nothing will change. This team has hit its ceiling.

IMO the problem of this roster is not at the very top of it. Mike Conley (if/when he plays) is not the thing that's keeping us from going deeper in the playoffs. The problem is we lack other pieces and we keep spending our most valuable resources on backup centers and on guards that can't play in the playoffs.
red4hf

Post#30 » by red4hf » Mon Jul 5, 2021 4:50 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:We keep running the same core and getting the same results and yet so many people want to keep on running back the same group of players and hope something will change. Nothing will change. This team has hit its ceiling.

The assumption is that the goal is to win a championship...... As opposed to being competitive and making a deep run in the playoffs......

I honestly believe that is the goal for quiet a number of NBA teams (including us the vast majority of the time)...... Championship is like the holy grail for them, you keep hearing about it, but the chances of finding it are slim to none......
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#31 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jul 5, 2021 5:04 pm

In Tony's article he says 15-20 mill, Conley is worth that money, 30 mill? Hell no! If we can keep Conley at 15-20 and then somehow get Ben Simmons, that's a perfect off season. Simmons slots in at the 3 or 4 and can play the PG when Conley is resting.

Sign Conley 3/63
Trade Bogey, Ingles, 3 1sts and a swap for Simmons.
Sign Neto with the BAE
Trade Favors for cap
Sign Batum for 5-6 mill for 2 years.
Sign Mooney on the rookie min.
Sign a vet who can on the vet min.

Conley-Mitchell-Simmons-Batum-Gobert with Clarkson-O'Neale-Vet-Buike off the bench.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#32 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 5, 2021 5:05 pm

red4hf wrote:

The assumption is that the goal is to win a championship...... As opposed to being competitive and making a deep run in the playoffs......

I honestly believe that is the goal for quiet a number of NBA teams (including us the vast majority of the time)...... Championship is like the holy grail for them, you keep hearing about it, but the chances of finding it are slim to none......

I agree. I've criticized the Jazz time and again for having, in my opinion, the goal of being in the playoffs every year instead of winning a championship. If their goal is just to be in the playoffs every year, then they don't need to change anything. Except that they could probably achieve the same results with a less inflated payroll.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf

Post#33 » by red4hf » Mon Jul 5, 2021 5:13 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:

I agree. I've criticized the Jazz time and again for having, in my opinion, the goal of being in the playoffs every year instead of winning a championship. If their goal is just to be in the playoffs every year, then they don't need to change anything. Except that they could probably achieve the same results with a less inflated payroll.

Maybe the goal will now change with new ownership, but it's going to take a few years to overhaul this roster......
red4hf

Post#34 » by red4hf » Mon Jul 5, 2021 5:14 pm

GobertReport wrote:In Tony's article he says 15-20 mill, Conley is worth that money, 30 mill? Hell no! If we can keep Conley at 15-20 and then somehow get Ben Simmons, that's a perfect off season. Simmons slots in at the 3 or 4 and can play the PG when Conley is resting.

Sign Conley 3/63
Sign Neto with the BAE
Trade Favors for cap

Conley-Mitchell-Simmons-Batum-Gobert with Clarkson-O'Neale-Vet-Buike off the bench.

Philadelphia will burn if that's all Simmons is traded for.......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#35 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 5, 2021 5:20 pm

red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:

Maybe the goal will now change with new ownership, but it's going to take a few years to overhaul this roster......

Indeed. Which is why they should start now while Mitchell is locked long-term, instead of wasting his best years on the playoff treadmill and watch him leave after he realizes we're going no where. The Jazz are looking at a Hayward situation as Mitchell's contract will advance towards his player option. He could use it to force his way out even sooner. Only by then the Jazz will be old and depleted of assets (already are, if they are intent of keeping Gobert) so DM will be looking at a complete rebuild by then, and I can't imagine he'll want to re-sign if that be the case. Might as well overhaul the roster now. Jazz aren't going to do it though.

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#36 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jul 5, 2021 5:24 pm

red4hf wrote:
GobertReport wrote:In Tony's article he says 15-20 mill, Conley is worth that money, 30 mill? Hell no! If we can keep Conley at 15-20 and then somehow get Ben Simmons, that's a perfect off season. Simmons slots in at the 3 or 4 and can play the PG when Conley is resting.

Sign Conley 3/63
Sign Neto with the BAE
Trade Favors for cap

Listening to NBA insider, GM’s prefer picks over players, easier to sell hope. I think Simmons goes for a lot of picks that Philly can flip for a better player.
Ingles is cooked.
red4hf

Post#37 » by red4hf » Mon Jul 5, 2021 5:37 pm

GobertReport wrote:
red4hf wrote:

Sign Conley 3/63
Sign Neto with the BAE
Trade Favors for cap

Listening to NBA insider, GM’s prefer picks over players, easier to sell hope. I think Simmons goes for a lot of picks that Philly can flip for a better player.

Alas we have no picks to offer..... No picks of value, anyway........
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#38 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 5, 2021 5:45 pm

stitches wrote:According to Tony Jones the Jazz will be making a hard push to keep Conley.
Read on Twitter

I don't necessarily mind it. If we are going all in, we are better with Conley than without him and the luxury tax is of no consequence to my happiness, so... if Ryan Smith is willing to go deep in his pockets for Conley... sure... go ahead.

I’m not particularly high on Conley, but you’re right. It’s only a luxury tax thing and I don’t know why people are so concerned about Ryan Smith spending his own money. I would understand why he wouldn’t, but if he’s willing, there’s nothing lost here.

Signing Conley has no impact on the team’s roster building ability and if he leaves you get zero money to replace him.
stitches
RealGM

Post#39 » by stitches » Mon Jul 5, 2021 5:52 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:According to Tony Jones the Jazz will be making a hard push to keep Conley.
Read on Twitter

I’m not particularly high on Conley, but you’re right. It’s only a luxury tax thing and I don’t know why people are so concerned about Ryan Smith spending his own money. I would understand why he wouldn’t, but if he’s willing, there’s nothing lost here.

Signing Conley has no impact on the team’s roster building ability and if he leaves you get zero money to replace him.

The only possible way we get something in return is in a SnT. But we are close to the apron if I'm not mistaken so even those options are limited.

If someone who knows the rules better can summarize our situation there, it would be great. Thanks in advance.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#40 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 5, 2021 6:05 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
Read on Twitter

The only possible way we get something in return is in a SnT. But we are close to the apron if I'm not mistaken so even those options are limited.

If someone who knows the rules better can summarize our situation there, it would be great. Thanks in advance.

I'll look at the exact numbers later, but the tax apron does make it nearly impossible to S&T Conley. I was looking at options earlier, and the situation that could make it happen is so unrealistic and doesn't exist so I'm ruling that out as a possibility.

Return to Utah Jazz