Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 3

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,336

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 3 

Post#161 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jul 4, 2021 7:12 pm

Boban and Melli are guarding each other in the Italy/Serbia game.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,901

Post#162 » by Dirk » Sun Jul 4, 2021 7:13 pm

KhalilS wrote:Boban and Melli are guarding each other in the Italy/Serbia game.

Can you link me to boxscores, I'll see if its worth watching.
60/21/10
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#163 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jul 4, 2021 7:15 pm

Dirk wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Boban and Melli are guarding each other in the Italy/Serbia game.

Can you link me to boxscores, I'll see if its worth watching.

First half just ended with 4!!! straight 3s by Italy, was close before that

http://www.fiba.basketball/oqt/serbia/2020/game/0407/Serbia-Italy#|tab=boxscore
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#164 » by Mr B » Sun Jul 4, 2021 7:58 pm

boogiezen wrote:
Archx wrote:
KhalilS wrote:The lack of P&R between Luka and KP is a real headscratcher, Luka is nastering it with Tobey, Mavs must utilize it, it's unstoppable.
Luka is 6'6" KP is 7'3" and no one is stopping the pass between them.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

This is something i could never understand why Rick didn't exploit it more. KP sets weak screens, you can argue that, but the fact that he rather rolled backwards to the logo instead of going to the rim, is also puzzling. Luka gets insane amount of assists in FIBA because his roll guys go to the rim, how the hell are you 7'3 and can't achieve that in the NBA when centers can't even camp under the rim.

Actually the reason they did not go to the PnR with KP was because in the first five games, he was guarded by Kawhi. There was once sequence when he was trying to dribble the ball in the perimeter and resulted to a TO. The same strategy when they played against Utah. O'Neal was the one guarding KP. With KP's limitation, like he has no inside game or post up game, there was nothing Carlisle could do.

KP need to learn to play with his back to the basket. That will keep those 6’7”-6’8” guys from being able to guard him. It’s not different than when Dirk was having the same issue early in his career. Dirk was more of a face up guy early in his career and then started having trouble when he was being guarded by smaller guys. Once Dirk learned to play with his back to the basket and whenever a smaller guy was guarding him he would just back him down into the paint and shoot over him to take him to the rack. There’s no reason KP shouldn’t be able to do the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM

Post#165 » by Mr B » Sun Jul 4, 2021 8:03 pm

KhalilS wrote:Mo Wagner is killing it, I really want this badass on the Mavs.

He’s unrestricted this off season and should be very cheap.

Speadge
Junior
And1: 300

Post#166 » by Speadge » Sun Jul 4, 2021 8:08 pm

Seems like all tournament hosts (Canada, Lithuania, Serbia, Croatia...) are out. Canada lost vs Czech Republic. Funny. :D
The biggest surprise to me is Germany with their weak roster eliminating Brasil, Croatia ...
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#167 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jul 4, 2021 8:13 pm

Mr B wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Mo Wagner is killing it, I really want this badass on the Mavs.

He’s unrestricted this off season and should be very cheap.

Yeah I think veteran minimum, but with the way he played this tournament, I think his price went up.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#168 » by JJP » Sun Jul 4, 2021 11:37 pm

Slovenia (total population less than DFW) just won the their Olympic trials thanks to Doncic and Mike Tobey mostly - and now go to Tokyo for a first-ever Olympic experience. Doncic should be glowing right now. Triple-double, MVP of the tournament, beating Lithuania with Sabonis and Valanciunas, and beating every team in that bracket by double digits.

Some nice highlights in twitter feeds.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#169 » by HMFFL » Mon Jul 5, 2021 3:48 pm

Interestingly, in the United States, everybody is questioning Luka’s leadership with the Dallas Mavericks. For example, famous ESPN journalist Brian Windhorst mentioned that he’s not sure how many people would be excited to play with Luka. He described him as a ‘maybe difficult person.’ How do you feel about these comments as a dad and as a person who knows Luka very well?

Sasa Doncic (Luka’s dad): I don’t know. Maybe this journalist is probably the biggest basketball genius. So please don’t ask me about it (laughs). I’m telling you, what he is doing in the NBA is more than great. I’m talking as a basketball fan. As a father, I’m very proud of him. He’s not afraid of anybody. He has this heart and guts to compare with everybody. What he’s doing at 22 years old in the NBA, as a European player, I think, nobody does this.

– via BasketNews

https://m.basketnews.com/news-153264-sasa-doncic-proud-of-his-son-people-feel-good-around-luka.html

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#170 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jul 5, 2021 4:25 pm

Luka is young and emotional, he leads his teams and he knows it and acts like it, I have no doubt he earned some foes, but many more friends also.
Speadge
Junior
And1: 300

Post#171 » by Speadge » Mon Jul 5, 2021 7:06 pm

HMFFL wrote:everybody is questioning Luka’s leadership with the Dallas Mavericks...

Meanwhile in Lithuania ...
Read on Twitter

:lol:
Mr B
RealGM

Post#172 » by Mr B » Mon Jul 5, 2021 7:10 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#173 » by Mavrelous » Tue Jul 6, 2021 5:24 pm

Slovenins in the house, any chance Goran joins Zoran and Tobey to help fatso win a medal?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#174 » by Mr B » Tue Jul 6, 2021 6:21 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#175 » by HMFFL » Wed Jul 7, 2021 1:49 pm

Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Let me know when his NBA teammates in the past or future put Luka on their shoulders.

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#176 » by Bob8 » Thu Jul 8, 2021 9:18 am

HMFFL wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Let me know when his NBA teammates in the past or future put Luka on his shoulders.

It will happen, when they will win something. Making just playoffs is just total disappointment for player like Luka. No reason to celebrate whatsoever.

Luka has proved many times that he's a winner, if he has right teammates around him. It's not on him to change. If Americans don't like to play with him, he can form a team with Jokic and let's see how chemistry looks. Probably not in Dallas, but that's not Luka's problem. Maybe it's time that Europeans do the same as American stars are doing.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#177 » by JJP » Thu Jul 8, 2021 11:19 am

That's the same Brian Windhorst who said unequivocally that Miami would still easily win the 2011 championship against the Mavericks after the game 2 Mavs comeback.
Kingarella
Sophomore
And1: 180

Post#178 » by Kingarella » Fri Jul 9, 2021 11:49 am

KhalilS wrote:Slovenins in the house, any chance Goran joins Zoran and Tobey to help fatso win a medal?

Well, he officialy retired from national bball but chubby boi says he is trying to pursuade him. I think there is almost 0 chance.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#179 » by leolozon » Fri Jul 9, 2021 1:02 pm

Bob8 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Let me know when his NBA teammates in the past or future put Luka on his shoulders.

It will happen, when they will win something. Making just playoffs is just total disappointment for player like Luka. No reason to celebrate whatsoever.

To be fair, it's not something you really see in the NBA, is it? I can't remember a team putting a player on their shoulders after winning the championship.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#180 » by leolozon » Fri Jul 9, 2021 1:09 pm

JJP wrote:That's the same Brian Windhorst who said unequivocally that Miami would still easily win the 2011 championship against the Mavericks after the game 2 Mavs comeback.

He's a Lebron stan. Maybe he doesn't like the comparison with Doncic and has to create atrocious arguments. I wish someone answered him back in real time when he put that quote out there : "You think players don't want to play with any player who barks a lot? What about CP3? What about a lot of the all-time greats, like MJ or Kobe?"

Return to Dallas Mavericks