ImageImageImage

where do the Cavs land on your crystal ball ?

Moderator: ijspeelman

Where do they pick this time? 7th is the greatest odds

13%
20%
27%
20%
No votes
7%
13%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15

LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Re: where do the Cavs land on your crystal ball ? 

Post#161 » by LivingLegend » Thu Jul 1, 2021 2:49 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Like...I understand it takes talet to be on the radio, but it always astounds me how these dudes get paid real money to talk about the same 3 sports teams for a living and they are not the most knowledgeable.

I always say that Im interested in sports as a hobby, in my free time after my normal 9-5 job and I know more than 95% of these guys on ESPN 850 and 92.3 the Fan.

That and they spend a combined total of 5 hours per year talking about the Indians/Cavs and the rest is Browns. There are FAR too many times where they are like 'so did you watch the Cavs game last night' and the other host is like 'no I was busy doing other stuff'. THIS IS YOUR JOOOOOOOOB. Your job is to watch the 3 local sports teams games so you can intelligently speak about them to tousands of listeners the next day. What do you mean you didnt watch the game or know nothing about these 3-5 potential draft picks where the Cavs have the #3 pick?

At least go home and spend 2-3 hours one night watchigng Youtube highlights for gosh sake.
They're okay with baseball, not good, but okay. With basketball, if you took away their internet access and asked them to explain the Cavs cap situation over the next couple years, or the gather rule, they'd be in real trouble.

Which hosts are we talking about?

Obviously Jeff Phelps watches a lot of basketball.

But in general, there's way too much filler and commercials on 92.3/WKNR. I've been taking advantage of their app to replay segments where they interview someone talking about a subject of interest and listening to Podcasts more and more.

Anybody on ESPN 850 is a complete moron and I personally would be the most insightful host to ever grace that platform if I ever worked there.

As for 92.3 both Bull and Fox are idiots who dont watch anything. Baskin and Phelps is for old men who wear cargo shorts. While Phelps knows what hes talking about, that show has so much filler like you said its hard to keep up.

Carmen and Lima is by far the best product either station has to offer but for some reason they are slotted at 6am.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#162 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 1, 2021 4:14 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:They're okay with baseball, not good, but okay. With basketball, if you took away their internet access and asked them to explain the Cavs cap situation over the next couple years, or the gather rule, they'd be in real trouble.

Which hosts are we talking about?

Obviously Jeff Phelps watches a lot of basketball.

But in general, there's way too much filler and commercials on 92.3/WKNR. I've been taking advantage of their app to replay segments where they interview someone talking about a subject of interest and listening to Podcasts more and more.

Anybody on ESPN 850 is a complete moron and I personally would be the most insightful host to ever grace that platform if I ever worked there.

As for 92.3 both Bull and Fox are idiots who dont watch anything. Baskin and Phelps is for old men who wear cargo shorts. While Phelps knows what hes talking about, that show has so much filler like you said its hard to keep up.

Carmen and Lima is by far the best product either station has to offer but for some reason they are slotted at 6am.

there is a big difference in the offseason where these guys for the most part can't fake their lack of interest in the offseason process and I agree Adam the Bull a baseball junkie who admittedly knows jack about the NBA might not even know what pick and roll means...
Fox is alright but he can't be more than just a quiet voice about it being a football guy.
Chico gets the best guests but even they are biased toward and agenda usually.
Most everything the station talks about is intended to stir the pot and get people like you and me talking
about CLE sports... not much else aside from reporting transactions and talking about wat has already happened and what they think needs to be done no matter how ridiculous it is.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,913

Post#163 » by tundraknight » Sun Jul 4, 2021 8:41 pm

It’s seeming more and more likely the Cavaliers will draft Mobley at #3.

On Wednesday evening, Porter Jr. popped in on an Instagram Live session that Green hosted on his account. “KP, you know that’s a scary backcourt,” Green said. “Don’t say too much, haha,” Porter Jr. replied.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/30/jalen-green-sees-scary-backcourt-with-rockets-guard-kevin-porter-jr/

I’m not necessarily saying this will be the deciding factor in the Rockets selection, but Rockets management could take that into consideration that they supposedly want to team up with each other.

Either way, you can’t go wrong with a versatile, athletic, 2-way big with a high bball IQ in Mobley or an explosive scoring machine SG in Green with the 3rd pick.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,371

Post#164 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jul 5, 2021 4:14 pm

tundraknight wrote:It’s seeming more and more likely the Cavaliers will draft Mobley at #3.

On Wednesday evening, Porter Jr. popped in on an Instagram Live session that Green hosted on his account. “KP, you know that’s a scary backcourt,” Green said. “Don’t say too much, haha,” Porter Jr. replied.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/30/jalen-green-sees-scary-backcourt-with-rockets-guard-kevin-porter-jr/

I’m not necessarily saying this will be the deciding factor in the Rockets selection, but Rockets management could take that into consideration that they supposedly want to team up with each other.

Either way, you can’t go wrong with a versatile, athletic, 2-way big with a high bball IQ in Mobley or an explosive scoring machine SG in Green with the 3rd pick.

I'm not sure Houston is to the point of taking drafting advice from KPJ, but Green may certainly go 1 or 2 regardless. Fortunately, there's a lot to like if Mobley let alone Cade falls to us ... and if the Cavs really insist on taking a guard... well, Suggs would be there.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#165 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 5, 2021 4:33 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
tundraknight wrote:It’s seeming more and more likely the Cavaliers will draft Mobley at #3.

I'm not sure Houston is to the point of taking drafting advice from KPJ, but Green may certainly go 1 or 2 regardless. Fortunately, there's a lot to like if Mobley let alone Cade falls to us ... and if the Cavs really insist on taking a guard... well, Suggs would be there.

yeah kids interacting on social media is not by any means indicators of front office intentions lol...
I think Green wants the ball in his hands more than he would have it there same with CLE and doubt he feels the same as KPJ about the pairing if you put a gun to his head for the truth.
It could be with the current roster in Houston really only having KPJ and Wood as building blocks and on ball dominant swingman and a center that they actually value Mobley as a 4 more than Green as a 2 if they had the option.
I like Mobley in Detroit at 1 or Houston at 2 pretty easily and dont buy he falls to 3 unless Suggs moves into that top 2. If anything I think Cades lack of first step his need to stay on the perimeter a lot in conference play and his lack of true first option athleticism in the open court could easily make Det and HOU pass on him because that limits his upside even though it is obvious Cade is the most nba ready prospect outside of Davion Mitchell or maybe another older prospect like Weiskamp neither are going top 6
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#166 » by LivingLegend » Wed Jul 7, 2021 2:34 am

Im starting to get the feeling Mobley is going to be there at #3. If thats the case, the Cavs have to take him and figure the rest out later right? Im not huge on drafting BPA and not taking 'fit' into account because thats how our backcourt is in this mess to begin with--buuuuuuut Mobley seems like a type of high ceiling talent you cant pass on.

Twoquestions:

1) Who does he compare to? Ive heard a lot of Bosh comparisons but then some mentioned Anthony Davis. Just watching highlights he seems incredibly good at passing as a big--would he be a type of guy like Jokic that you can put on the elbow and run your offense through?

2) Is it possible for Allen/Mobley to co-exist long term or will this be another Sexland disaster? To me, Allen is a traditional center but has more than enough mobility and skill to not be a lane clogger. I am optimistic because of his age and touch, that he can develop a jumper. When I watch Mobley, his mobility stands out (and he does not look 7ft), because both Mobley/Allen are mobile, could they play together at PF/C?? I drool at the defensive capability of those two + Okoro sharing the floor together. They are both similar but they are both 'new age' big men who move like guards. I also ask this because I really dont want to lose Allen unless its for a 3+D SF.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,084

Post#167 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jul 7, 2021 3:13 am

LivingLegend wrote:Im starting to get the feeling Mobley is going to be there at #3. If thats the case, the Cavs have to take him and figure the rest out later right? Im not huge on drafting BPA and not taking 'fit' into account because thats how our backcourt is in this mess to begin with--buuuuuuut Mobley seems like a type of high ceiling talent you cant pass on.

Twoquestions:

1) Who does he compare to? Ive heard a lot of Bosh comparisons but then some mentioned Anthony Davis. Just watching highlights he seems incredibly good at passing as a big--would he be a type of guy like Jokic that you can put on the elbow and run your offense through?

2) Is it possible for Allen/Mobley to co-exist long term or will this be another Sexland disaster? To me, Allen is a traditional center but has more than enough mobility and skill to not be a lane clogger. I am optimistic because of his age and touch, that he can develop a jumper. When I watch Mobley, his mobility stands out (and he does not look 7ft), because both Mobley/Allen are mobile, could they play together at PF/C?? I drool at the defensive capability of those two + Okoro sharing the floor together. They are both similar but they are both 'new age' big men who move like guards. I also ask this because I really dont want to lose Allen unless its for a 3+D SF.
I absolutely think the two of them can coexist, even thrive, and I'd ignore taking heads who say otherwise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#168 » by LivingLegend » Wed Jul 7, 2021 3:19 am

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:Im starting to get the feeling Mobley is going to be there at #3. If thats the case, the Cavs have to take him and figure the rest out later right? Im not huge on drafting BPA and not taking 'fit' into account because thats how our backcourt is in this mess to begin with--buuuuuuut Mobley seems like a type of high ceiling talent you cant pass on.

Twoquestions:

I absolutely think the two of them can coexist, even thrive, and I'd ignore taking heads who say otherwise.

That's what I'm thinking too, mostly because of his weight. I don't think he will be ready until year 3/4 to play Center in the NBA when his body fully matures.

I think for the first couple seasons of his career he is way better suited for a PF role to guard smaller/lighter guys and use his raw athleticism and mobility.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#169 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 7, 2021 3:29 am

No telling for sure what Detroit and Houston will do but in this mock I mix it up a bit
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/866192/
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#170 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 7, 2021 3:33 am

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Twoquestions:

That's what I'm thinking too, mostly because of his weight. I don't think he will be ready until year 3/4 to play Center in the NBA when his body fully matures.

I think for the first couple seasons of his career he is way better suited for a PF role to guard smaller/lighter guys and use his raw athleticism and mobility.

yep definitely a 4 in the nba but can defend 3-5 perimeter and above rim so doesnt matter hes the playmaking version of Jaren Jackson
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#171 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 7, 2021 2:19 pm

Twoquestions:

On the bright side, at least Mobley is big enough to play PF and may grow in to playing C, and with Love and Nance still on the roster - we don't have to rush him in to the starting lineup.

Otoh, there is the question of whether we should pay whatever it takes to trade up to #1 and take Cade. If it actually clears the path to making our roster make sense, and not having to wait another season ... it may be worth the cost.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#172 » by LivingLegend » Wed Jul 7, 2021 2:27 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

Twoquestions:

On the bright side, at least Mobley is big enough to play PF and may grow in to playing C, and with Love and Nance still on the roster - we don't have to rush him in to the starting lineup.

Otoh, there is the question of whether we should pay whatever it takes to trade up to #1 and take Cade. If it actually clears the path to making our roster make sense, and not having to wait another season ... it may be worth the cost.

That might be a option but I highly doubt the Pistons would entertain the idea of any trade out of #1. They are in need desperate of a franchise cornerstone type of guy and Cade seems to be a lock for that at least.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#173 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 7, 2021 3:00 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Twoquestions:

That might be a option but I highly doubt the Pistons would entertain the idea of any trade out of #1. They are in need desperate of a franchise cornerstone type of guy and Cade seems to be a lock for that at least.

When the smoke clears I doubt Cade was the clear bpa at 1 on Detroit or Houston's board even if he is for the Cavs after they draft him at 3 because they always talk up their picks...
For a prospect who sees himself as a pg going forward his turnover rate is not good for a player lacking blow by athleticism and his decision making is also suspect. after diving deeper into his game I am far more impressed with Scottie Barnes and Jalen Suggs if Mobley is gone at 3. I would not expect Altman to agree though since Cade does provide outside shooting and DG is not shooting enough etc,.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#174 » by LivingLegend » Wed Jul 7, 2021 4:07 pm

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

When the smoke clears I doubt Cade was the clear bpa at 1 on Detroit or Houston's board even if he is for the Cavs after they draft him at 3 because they always talk up their picks...
For a prospect who sees himself as a pg going forward his turnover rate is not good for a player lacking blow by athleticism and his decision making is also suspect. after diving deeper into his game I am far more impressed with Scottie Barnes and Jalen Suggs if Mobley is gone at 3. I would not expect Altman to agree though since Cade does provide outside shooting and DG is not shooting enough etc,.

I dont know if I would be far more impressed with the other guys moreso I just dont think Cade is some sort of guaranteed franchise player. He gets a lot of Luka comparisons because of his size/passing but Im not sure hes going to be a bonafide #1 scoring option at the next level and he will always have to battle his average athleticism for NBA standards.

Plus on the Cavs, I wouldnt know how Garland/Cade would fit together since both need the ball in their hands to be effective.

I have a feeling if the Cavs make that trade to #1 to get him---it would be Garland/#3. That way the Cavs run with Cade/Sexton and the Pistons can build around Garland/Mobley
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#175 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 7, 2021 4:13 pm

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I doubt we'd draft Barnes without trading down, but interestingly nbadraft.net still has Mobley going 2 but now has us taking Suggs. It'd be borderline insane to draft another combo-guard, but it's still something to consider, and if Suggs had shot just a bit better we'd almost have to.

Otoh, what if Detroit isn't sold on Killian Hayes and would actually prefer Suggs over Cunningham to run their team? Even though his shooting and finishing moves need work, Suggs may very well be one of the safest picks in this draft with a high ceiling.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#176 » by LivingLegend » Wed Jul 7, 2021 4:21 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

I doubt we'd draft Barnes without trading down, but interestingly nbadraft.net still has Mobley going 2 but now has us taking Suggs. It'd be borderline insane to draft another combo-guard, but it's still something to consider, and if Suggs had shot just a bit better we'd almost have to.

Otoh, what if Detroit isn't sold on Killian Hayes and would actually prefer Suggs over Cunningham to run their team? Even though his shooting and finishing moves need work, Suggs may very well be one of the safest picks in this draft with a high ceiling.

I think Suggs is going to be a Jrue Holliday type of prospect. Love his game and its a scorers league. Detroit trading back a few slots and taking Suggs for the scoring upside wouldnt be out of the question.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#177 » by KuruptedCav » Wed Jul 7, 2021 4:47 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Barnes is tough because it’s hard to know if he’s Draymond Green or Shane Battier or something else.

I just know that the eye test tells me that there is a Venn diagram between athleticism, basketball skill, and that the overlap contains Cunningham, Suggs, Green and Mobley; with Kuminga at one extreme and Barnes at the other.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#178 » by LivingLegend » Wed Jul 7, 2021 4:54 pm

Well this is interesting from today....potential buy-out incoming? I really think that is the way this is going to go in the end, not sure the rules of buying out players with timelines or anything but I really believe Love this season will be like Drummond last year. Highly doubt he is on the roster past the deadline if they cant include him in a trade around the draft.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10007219-kevin-love-rumors-insiders-believe-cavs-will-buy-out-pfs-contract-warriors-linked
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#179 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 7, 2021 5:01 pm

LivingLegend wrote:Well this is interesting from today....potential buy-out incoming? I really think that is the way this is going to go in the end, not sure the rules of buying out players with timelines or anything but I really believe Love this season will be like Drummond last year.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10007219-kevin-love-rumors-insiders-believe-cavs-will-buy-out-pfs-contract-warriors-linked

Bleacherreport ...

They could have at least tried to create a rumor that made some sense.

For instance, if there was a team with cap space interested in Kevin, maybe he'd be willing to give up a significant portion of his salary such that the Cavs might be able to do something; otherwise our worst case is we make it through another season and he's an expiring contract that can at least be used to absorb salary in a trade.

We don't owe him a $60M parting gift for helping us win a championship.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#180 » by LivingLegend » Wed Jul 7, 2021 5:20 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:Well this is interesting from today....potential buy-out incoming? I really think that is the way this is going to go in the end, not sure the rules of buying out players with timelines or anything but I really believe Love this season will be like Drummond last year.

Bleacherreport ...

They could have at least tried to create a rumor that made some sense.

For instance, if there was a team with cap space interested in Kevin, maybe he'd be willing to give up a significant portion of his salary such that the Cavs might be able to do something; otherwise our worst case is we make it through another season and he's an expiring contract that can at least be used to absorb salary in a trade.

We don't owe him a $60M parting gift for helping us win a championship.

I know I cannot speak for others about $$ but at the same time Love has more money than God at this point in his career. If he wants out that bad, why doesnt he go to the Cavs FO and negotiate a buyout at 1/2 the cost of his contract. Its still 30 m i l l i o n dollars.

I highly highly highly doubt anyteam wants to trade for that contract even if the Cavs attach assets to it. Its dumb for the Cavs to give up assets they need in a rebuild just to not pay Kevin Love to play basketball.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers