Nate McMillan officially named Head Coach

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Nate McMillan officially named Head Coach 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 5, 2021 5:27 pm

At this point, I wonder if they even interviewed other candidates. Regardless, it’s well deserved. I hope he has a few more deep postseason runs in him.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Re: Nate McMillan officially named Head Coach 

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Mon Jul 5, 2021 7:47 pm

Congrats to Coach Nate.
Well deserved!

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 6, 2021 3:17 am

Wow

Just minutes into his news conference, Schlenk announced that he has an agreement in place for McMillan to be the permanent head coach...Schlenk revealed that he actually offered McMillan the job during the regular season (he forgets when exactly), and they agreed to wait until the Hawks were done to formalize a contract. Schlenk and McMillan spoke on Sunday during exit interviews to lay the framework of his new deal down and it was agreed upon Monday morning.
The Athletic
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#4 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Jul 6, 2021 3:11 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Wow

Just minutes into his news conference, Schlenk announced that he has an agreement in place for McMillan to be the permanent head coach...Schlenk revealed that he actually offered McMillan the job during the regular season (he forgets when exactly), and they agreed to wait until the Hawks were done to formalize a contract. Schlenk and McMillan spoke on Sunday during exit interviews to lay the framework of his new deal down and it was agreed upon Monday morning.
The Athletic

Thanks for posting that. I was thinking it was obvious he earned the job during the season so why not remove that interim tag. Now I understand why.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#5 » by jayu70 » Tue Jul 6, 2021 7:10 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Wow

The Athletic

Thanks for posting that. I was thinking it was obvious he earned the job during the season so why not remove that interim tag. Now I understand why.

Trae talked about this in a radio interview after the Knicks series I think it was. Steven A Smith also mentioned it a while back (during the Knick series) that the deal was done just waiting for the playoffs to end for the formal announcement.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#6 » by D21 » Tue Jul 6, 2021 11:00 pm

Congrats Nate, you deserve it!
(even if I was not happy with starting the second half of last game with Huerter instead of Reddish on Middleton :wink: )
jayu70
RealGM

Post#7 » by jayu70 » Thu Jul 8, 2021 12:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Thu Jul 8, 2021 1:04 pm

Celtics interested in Hawks assistant GM Landry Fields

Any team’s march into later playoff rounds also prompts rivals searching to brain drain from a successful front office, and the rumors linking Hawks assistant general manager Landry Fields have not quieted either, sources said. Amid ongoing questions about the future structure of Boston’s basketball operations, Fields very much remains a top choice of Stevens and Celtics ownership to join Boston as the team’s general manager, sources told B/R.

Atlanta could simply block the Celtics’ pursuit by elevating Fields to the same post underneath Hawks president Travis Schlenk, who currently holds the title of general manager. In that scenario, it’s believed Boston’s vice president of player development and former WNBA veteran Allison Feaster would be the leading candidate to be named general manager under Stevens. The 45-year-old was the only Celtics figure aside from ownership and Stevens who partook in Ime Udoka’s final interview, sources said. “It seems like she’s getting some serious traction,” said one assistant general manager.

– via Jake Fischer @ Bleacher Report

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2945530-everything-has-changed-hawks-surprising-ecf-run-has-expensive-ripple-effects

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM

Post#9 » by jayu70 » Thu Jul 8, 2021 8:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#10 » by Spud2nique » Thu Jul 8, 2021 11:52 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Just came here to put the same thing lol. :lol:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:37 pm

Thoughts on Nate adding his son to the coaching staff?

Read on Twitter
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,486

Post#12 » by dms269 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:44 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Thoughts on Nate adding his son to the coaching staff?

Read on Twitter

I think it is fine. He was in New Orleans before, worked with Monty Williams and later became an assistant coach under Gentry.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 5, 2021 3:52 am

Three weeks into the season and we're already hearing this question?

Geesh...

Read on Twitter
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by D21 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 2:08 pm

I thought his BKN game coaching bad, but this is stupid to question that after a few games.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:23 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 2, 2021 9:03 pm

History likely won't remember, but never forget, Hawks fans:

Victory 700 for Nate came against a former team and...Nate wasn't even in attendance.

Congrats, old man.
Spoiler:

D21
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by D21 » Tue Feb 8, 2022 10:43 pm

So, we are talking about this trade rumor, this other one,... but shouldn't we be talking a bit about coaching?

Nate had a huge impact last season, and I think he had the best voice possible in this context : making them to all believe they can beat every team was exactly what they needed. But it was also a context where they had to fight, with so many injuries and almost all games without at least one important player.

Now, this season, they should have learned to play all together, yes they needed to learn that. But the team was hit with so many injuries, and a Reddish case that seemed to hurt mainly our bench guys.

Since some weeks, almost everybody is available, the bench is the best bench of the league in some stats, they beat PHX, but yet, they lost two times Vs TOR and one game Vs DAL
I watched all the games of this stretch and it has shown that the team is more dominating with some bench guys on the floor than when the starters only. I was hoping that Nate could improve that and that starters will slowly be more and more dominant.

PHX game: the starters were a bit better than PHX starters, but the ATL bench guys (I'm not saying bench unit) turned that game into a win. Great game, and the win didn't not came because of a bad PHX team. Both were really great. So it confirmed what this team is capable of.

1st TOR game: Trae was not here, starters were dominated and bench guys did well. But Nate took a time-out just when ATL was coming back. Almost never saw such a thing

2nd TOR game: Trae was here, but no Gallo = first game in that stretch where the bench guys are dominated. But for the second time, they were coming back again with 3min left and... Nate took a time-out again. Nurse said thank you and out coached Nate

DAL game: loosing while DAL had more injuries and both Doncic and Brunson with early 5th fouls... :-?

Except the recurrent thing of letting the opponent SG playing like an All-Star, it looks like a motivation problem when they loose now (now, since all healthy and Reddish out).
It can come from them, but isn't it the coach job to motivate his team, like he did last season? Is it normal to call a time-out when your team is coming back and may take the lead two possession after that ? not sure, and I think in one of the TOR game, Bogi had the ball in transition and looked a bit surprised by the time-out
More important, the team was not playing better after the time-out, but worst

If was Schlenk, I would have pass a bit less time on the phone, and took a moment to talk to Nate about that.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#18 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:03 pm

How would you guys rate Nate this season? It has been a very disappointing season up to now based on last season's result. Numourous players have regressed or plateaued. The team is losing to what should be lesser teams. Late in the season we still have a losing record and are going to have to go the play-in to even get into the playoffs.

The defense has been atrocious. The rotations very questionable. Does Nate hate Delon? Delon is a proven vet PG that any team would be happy to have as a back up PG. Nate has completely squandered him.

Is this bad situation on the players, Nate or Schlenk?

Players:

I hated when Trae said that the regular season was boring early in the season. Terrible take, but he's delivered at a very high level. Out of all the rest of the players, I'm only very happy with OO. The rest have been a disappointment. Capela is good when he's healthy, but he always seems to have a nagging problem. Hunter has been terrible. It suspect that the wrist injury and the Oubre take down have something to do with it. Bogy and Heurter leave us feeling like we need a starting SG.

Nate:

I already discussed some of the problems I see with Nate above. Scheme. Getting the most out of the talent. Rotations. Minutes. Developing players. Record. It's not loking good.

Schlenk:

He went mostly with what we had. Brought in Delon which I thought a very good move. I'm not going to question his moves much because there wasn't much that he could have done diferently. Big offseason coming up for him
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 9, 2023 4:43 pm

Still making his way up the all time wins list...

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks