ImageImageImage

where do the Cavs land on your crystal ball ?

Moderator: ijspeelman

Where do they pick this time? 7th is the greatest odds

13%
20%
27%
20%
No votes
7%
13%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Re: where do the Cavs land on your crystal ball ? 

Post#181 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 7, 2021 5:58 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:Well this is interesting from today....potential buy-out incoming? I really think that is the way this is going to go in the end, not sure the rules of buying out players with timelines or anything but I really believe Love this season will be like Drummond last year.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10007219-kevin-love-rumors-insiders-believe-cavs-will-buy-out-pfs-contract-warriors-linked

Bleacherreport ...

They could have at least tried to create a rumor that made some sense.

For instance, if there was a team with cap space interested in Kevin, maybe he'd be willing to give up a significant portion of his salary such that the Cavs might be able to do something; otherwise our worst case is we make it through another season and he's an expiring contract that can at least be used to absorb salary in a trade.

We don't owe him a $60M parting gift for helping us win a championship.

I know I cannot speak for others about $$ but at the same time Love has more money than God at this point in his career. If he wants out that bad, why doesnt he go to the Cavs FO and negotiate a buyout at 1/2 the cost of his contract. Its still 30 m i l l i o n dollars.

I highly highly highly doubt anyteam wants to trade for that contract even if the Cavs attach assets to it. Its dumb for the Cavs to give up assets they need in a rebuild just to not pay Kevin Love to play basketball.

lol, even if Kevin didn't need the money personally, there's still a lot he could do with $30M to make a difference in areas he cares about.

The odds of him agreeing to a buyout of more $$$ than he can recoup signing with another team are very low, and in a year, he becomes the Cavs favorite asset - an expiring contract.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#182 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 7, 2021 11:52 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
That might be a option but I highly doubt the Pistons would entertain the idea of any trade out of #1. They are in need desperate of a franchise cornerstone type of guy and Cade seems to be a lock for that at least.

When the smoke clears I doubt Cade was the clear bpa at 1 on Detroit or Houston's board even if he is for the Cavs after they draft him at 3 because they always talk up their picks...
For a prospect who sees himself as a pg going forward his turnover rate is not good for a player lacking blow by athleticism and his decision making is also suspect. after diving deeper into his game I am far more impressed with Scottie Barnes and Jalen Suggs if Mobley is gone at 3. I would not expect Altman to agree though since Cade does provide outside shooting and DG is not shooting enough etc,.

I doubt we'd draft Barnes without trading down, but interestingly nbadraft.net still has Mobley going 2 but now has us taking Suggs. It'd be borderline insane to draft another combo-guard, but it's still something to consider, and if Suggs had shot just a bit better we'd almost have to.

Otoh, what if Detroit isn't sold on Killian Hayes and would actually prefer Suggs over Cunningham to run their team? Even though his shooting and finishing moves need work, Suggs may very well be one of the safest picks in this draft with a high ceiling.

I dont know about that but yeah right now seems like Barnes is not #3 worthy to most scouts. I disagree and think he will become the best passing forward in the NBA but thats just me
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,127

Post#183 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 9, 2021 12:33 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Bleacherreport ...

They could have at least tried to create a rumor that made some sense.

For instance, if there was a team with cap space interested in Kevin, maybe he'd be willing to give up a significant portion of his salary such that the Cavs might be able to do something; otherwise our worst case is we make it through another season and he's an expiring contract that can at least be used to absorb salary in a trade.

We don't owe him a $60M parting gift for helping us win a championship.

I know I cannot speak for others about $$ but at the same time Love has more money than God at this point in his career. If he wants out that bad, why doesnt he go to the Cavs FO and negotiate a buyout at 1/2 the cost of his contract. Its still 30 m i l l i o n dollars.

I highly highly highly doubt anyteam wants to trade for that contract even if the Cavs attach assets to it. Its dumb for the Cavs to give up assets they need in a rebuild just to not pay Kevin Love to play basketball.

lol, even if Kevin didn't need the money personally, there's still a lot he could do with $30M to make a difference in areas he cares about.

The odds of him agreeing to a buyout of more $$$ than he can recoup signing with another team are very low, and in a year, he becomes the Cavs favorite asset - an expiring contract.
That's the only way he should be bought out. At a minimum, it should be a Blake Griffin deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,650

Post#184 » by toooskies » Fri Jul 9, 2021 1:27 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

That's the only way he should be bought out. At a minimum, it should be a Blake Griffin deal.

I think Love would get the MLE on the open market, so he might give back ~$19m in a buyout right now.

How does a buyout work against the cap with multiple years being bought out? Can you choose where the savings go or is it all applied evenly?
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#185 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jul 9, 2021 1:39 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I think Love would get the MLE on the open market, so he might give back ~$19m in a buyout right now.

How does a buyout work against the cap with multiple years being bought out? Can you choose where the savings go or is it all applied evenly?

Looks like it's split proportionally over the years based on what is owed. Though if you stretch it then it's evenly distrubuted.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#186 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:05 am

After seeing all these numbers I bet they dont buy him out. Maybe if the Cavs are lucky some shmuck gm sees Love go off in the Olympics assuming he doesnt get hurt again and offers to trade an equally unimpressive and overpaid player to the 216 on 1 less year so the Cavs can buy that player out sooner.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#187 » by JonFromVA » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:10 pm

If Love is healthy, I do expect him to play well. Maybe even show up on D if the games mean something. And that has value to us as much as any other team; but surely everyone knows he has problems staying healthy and when his back ultimately flares up again he's going to look like a "slug" (to borrow a term from our former coach) on the floor.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#188 » by Stillwater » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:46 pm

Love and DG didnt play much in the loss to Nigeria I dont think they are going to be utilized much at all
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,127

Post#189 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:33 pm

Stillwater wrote:Love and DG didnt play much in the loss to Nigeria I dont think they are going to be utilized much at all

Garland played a bit.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#190 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:17 am

Like to see the Cavs sign this freak to a summer league contract
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,650

Post#191 » by toooskies » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:34 pm

Love and DG both got playing time in the Argentina game.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#192 » by tundraknight » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:54 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2021-nba-draft-potential-no-1-pick-evan-mobley-a-7-foot-wing-who-could-change-how-we-think-about-big-men/

^ This is an EXCELLENT article on Mobley which displays every intriguing facet of his game with several gifs provided for each example.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers