And1: 3,737

Re: NBA Draft - 2021 Draft Prospects 

Post#181 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jul 7, 2021 8:35 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:

Is he too young to draft?

Yes.

Now I’m sad hahahaha he’s likely a lotto pick next year.
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#182 » by Catchall » Wed Jul 7, 2021 9:36 pm

With guards like Josh Primo, Bones Hyland, and Miles McBride reportedly getting traction in the 1st round, it increases the likelihood that another guard like Springer or Ayo will slide to #30. Someone has to drop.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#183 » by Catchall » Wed Jul 7, 2021 9:39 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Catchall wrote:The Jazz need to decide once and for all if Marcus Bagley is going to be good. There isn't really an excuse for Bagley to coast during his freshman year, but there was something wrong with that ASU program.

My biggest worry with Bagley is his dad, if he doesn’t like Sacramento, how is he going to like Utah?

Bagley is pulling out and going back to school.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#184 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jul 7, 2021 9:40 pm

Catchall wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Catchall wrote:The Jazz need to decide once and for all if Marcus Bagley is going to be good. There isn't really an excuse for Bagley to coast during his freshman year, but there was something wrong with that ASU program.

My biggest worry with Bagley is his dad, if he doesn’t like Sacramento, how is he going to like Utah?

He was likely a 2nd rounder.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#185 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jul 7, 2021 9:47 pm

I like Greg Brown, he fits the Jazz’s needs.
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#186 » by Catchall » Wed Jul 7, 2021 11:19 pm

I'm doing a couple draft projections. I think that at least one of Roko, Ayo or Vrenz will be available at #30. If guys like Josh Primo and Bones Hyland are breaking into the 1st round, it shakes up the 20s of the draft. Miles McBride could get in the 1st round also.

Look for Roko, Ayo, Vrenz, Josh Christopher and Greg Brown to all be available at least into the mid-20s.

Also, the Jazz are going to get calls on the #30 pick from teams that want Neemias Queta, Day-Ron Sharpe, Christopher, Charles Bassey, Quentin Grimes, etc., imo.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#187 » by AingesBurner » Thu Jul 8, 2021 1:11 am

Catchall wrote:I'm doing a couple draft projections. I think that at least one of Roko, Ayo or Vrenz will be available at #30. If guys like Josh Primo and Bones Hyland are breaking into the 1st round, it shakes up the 20s of the draft. Miles McBride could get in the 1st round also.

Look for Roko, Ayo, Vrenz, Josh Christopher and Greg Brown to all be available at least into the mid-20s.

Also, the Jazz are going to get calls on the #30 pick from teams that want Neemias Queta, Day-Ron Sharpe, Christopher, Charles Bassey, Quentin Grimes, etc., imo.

Queta is projected to go in the late 2nd round.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#188 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jul 8, 2021 8:03 am

Catchall wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

I figured that would happen. Hope he transfers to somewhere with good coaching.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#189 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jul 8, 2021 8:07 am

GobertReport wrote:
Catchall wrote:I'm doing a couple draft projections. I think that at least one of Roko, Ayo or Vrenz will be available at #30. If guys like Josh Primo and Bones Hyland are breaking into the 1st round, it shakes up the 20s of the draft. Miles McBride could get in the 1st round also.

Queta is projected to go in the late 2nd round.

Depends on where you look, some places have had him in the first round. He is 36 on Tankathon, but was at the end of the first round for quite a while. It kind of feels like most sites either like him, or Bassey, and you will find one in the late first/early second, and the other in the late second. I don't see what people like about Bassey, I'd rather have Queta out of the two...but I'm worried about Queta's ability to defend in space, I think I'd rather have Jericho Simms and he is projected fairly low even though his athletic testing was absolutely insane. In fact, out of the Texas bigs (Greg Brown, Kai Jones, Jericho Simms), I think Simms has - by far - the highest potential. He is uber athletic, has a decent faceup game, can legitimately switch 1-5, and he is massive.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#190 » by sip » Thu Jul 8, 2021 7:21 pm

I've been watching a bunch of BJ Boston highschool highlights and I came away feeling like this kid is a lot more skilled offensively than he showed at Kentucky. His percentages at Kentucky were terrible but I like his shooting stroke and his handle is solid which allows him to create his own shot.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#191 » by Catchall » Thu Jul 8, 2021 9:52 pm

sip wrote:I've been watching a bunch of BJ Boston highschool highlights and I came away feeling like this kid is a lot more skilled offensively than he showed at Kentucky. His percentages at Kentucky were terrible but I like his shooting stroke and his handle is solid which allows him to create his own shot.

For a team that spent 5 years trying to develop Dante Exum, yes, Brandon Boston offers a lot of upside at a low price point. There's some risk, but at a minimum he should be able to develop into a 3D wing with Mikal Bridges potential. Beyond that, he can mature into a 3-level scorer like a Brandon Ingram or a Shaun Livingston with a jump shot.

There are just so many quality guards available in the late 1st round, I'd be surprised if the Jazz took him. I think someone else is going to take him in the 2nd round, while the Jazz won't be patient enough to develop him.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#192 » by stitches » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:49 pm

For the fans of French centers... Wembanyama against team USA at the U19 World championship:

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#193 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:37 pm

Catchall wrote:
sip wrote:I've been watching a bunch of BJ Boston highschool highlights and I came away feeling like this kid is a lot more skilled offensively than he showed at Kentucky. His percentages at Kentucky were terrible but I like his shooting stroke and his handle is solid which allows him to create his own shot.

For a team that spent 5 years trying to develop Dante Exum, yes, Brandon Boston offers a lot of upside at a low price point. There's some risk, but at a minimum he should be able to develop into a 3D wing with Mikal Bridges potential. Beyond that, he can mature into a 3-level scorer like a Brandon Ingram or a Shaun Livingston with a jump shot.

There are just so many quality guards available in the late 1st round, I'd be surprised if the Jazz took him. I think someone else is going to take him in the 2nd round, while the Jazz won't be patient enough to develop him.

I suppose McDaniels success has changed my opinion a bit, but prospects like BJ Boston are not my type. I don't actually think a player like Boston has a ton of upside. It's very rare that these types of prospects highly exceed their draft position expectations because they are starting from such a low point. The guys that do tend to exceed their draft position tend to be older, underrated players.

If he's going to make it, he's going to have to do it the McDaniels way and try to become a role player. Calling him a 3&D prospect is tough because he was bad at both at the college level...but like McDaniels that's the only way to succeed. For me these are low floor, lower upside players.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#194 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:33 pm

dr0welf wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:OKC has picks 34,36, and 55. I'd offer them our 2025 and 2026 2nds to pick up 36, or one of them to pick up 55.

NOP has picks 35, 40, 43, and 53. I think getting two of those picks (probably 40 and 43) for cash should be pretty easy.

Great ideas. Maybe we could get a 2nd for Matt Thomas..... heard that's the going rate.

So, funny, yet so sad. The player selected at #47 will probably end up being better than Thomas. DL was an idiot when it came to throwing away second round picks.

There are several teams that have multiple picks in the first round, and also the second round.
#32 NYK- 3rd overall pick
#33 ORL- 3rd overall pick
#34 OKC- 4th overall pick (question becomes who will be willing to trade up with them in first round, as DET probably keeps #1, Houston has three first round picks, maybe CLE? The #34 pick might be reasonably available)
#36 OKC- 5th overall pick (potential fire sale pick)
#40 NOP- 3rd overall pick
#42 DET- 3rd overall pick
#43 NOP- 4th overall pick (potential fire sale pick)

There will be good players at these selections and it should be a buyers market.

If there is a decent draft and stash, or a surprise slipper, the following might be interesting:
#52 DET- 4th overall pick
#53 NOP- 5th overall pick
#55 OKC- 6th overall pick
#58 NYK- 4th overall pick
stitches
RealGM

Post#195 » by stitches » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:43 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:So, funny, yet so sad. The player selected at #47 will probably end up being better than Thomas. DL was an idiot when it came to throwing away second round picks.

The most frustrating thing is... the player drafted at 47 doesn't even need to be better than Thomas. The mere chance that he might be is worth more than Thomas, because Thomas is worth nothing. He's a 15th man on a roster who has snowball chance in hell to see the floor in meaningful playoff minutes. ANYTHING, any uncertainty is better than that certainty.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#196 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:19 am

Not to be that guy...but I'm starting to think that it's somewhat likely that this pick will be traded to dump Favors. If Conley is back, this pick is being used to dump Favors.

If we end up taking a prospect, I think it's likely that we know Conley is gone.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#197 » by bkohler » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:08 am

I think it’s pretty telling that we’re only a few weeks from the draft and Locke hasn’t telegraphed who the Jazz want yet.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#198 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:59 am

Matt Mitchell really interests me in the second round or as a UDFA. Strong, athletic wing/forward. Kinda reminds me physically of Royce, but a bit bouncier.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#199 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:02 am

KqWIN wrote:Not to be that guy...but I'm starting to think that it's somewhat likely that this pick will be traded to dump Favors. If Conley is back, this pick is being used to dump Favors.

If we end up taking a prospect, I think it's likely that we know Conley is gone.

I don't think we need to use a first to dump Favors. Charlotte fans have offered their two seconds this year FOR Favors. I kind of think it would take our 2025 and 2026 2nds to move him into cap space (nearest seconds). He's still a solid center who can start for teams - obviously not upper tier, but teams could do worse. Of course, we could use it with Favors to get a better player at a different position. I kind of like the idea of Thad Young.

JColl
stitches
RealGM

Post#200 » by stitches » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:28 pm

KqWIN wrote:Not to be that guy...but I'm starting to think that it's somewhat likely that this pick will be traded to dump Favors. If Conley is back, this pick is being used to dump Favors.

That's exactly what came accross my mind in the Conley/Lonzo thread. I can absolutely see us using yet another assett to try to fix the center mistakes of the past. What would that be?

1st for acquiring Bradley + 2 seconds for getting rid off him
2 seconds for getting rid off Ed Davis.
1st for acquiring Udoka
1st/2 2nds for getting rid off Favors.

This is in the span of 3 years. 3 1st round picks and 4 seconds JUST FOR BACKUP CENTER! And this is when we already have Gobert as the starter. :banghead:

Return to Utah Jazz