ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Re: UCF Football: New AD Mohajir & FB Coach Malzahn 

Post#1481 » by OrlandoMagic » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:09 am

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

2024: Gainesville
2030: Orlando
2033: Gainesville

So far away but still pretty dope
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Re: UCF Football: Knights close to signing 2-for-1 against Gators (Bianchi) 

Post#1482 » by UCF » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:53 am

Hopefully Orlando means at our stadium….
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,411

Post#1483 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:54 pm

The rumor is it'll be at bounce house. But either way it's kind of a ridiculous deal. The return game is 9 years away, and the third is 12 years away. I mean I love the 2024 game, just wish the return was a bit earlier, or that it was a 1 for 1 since the return game is so far.

I know some are freaking out that this sets a precedent and other P5 teams will now demand only 2 for 1s and all that, but we NEED scheduling. And sure, with the playoff expanding by then it doesn't make too much of a difference because we won't need those marquee P5 games to qualify anymore (just be the best Non P5), but I think it'll be a great game for the fans in 2030 and 2033, and IMO that's all that truly matters. Want to be the best? win those games.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1484 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:00 pm

I almost look at it as a solo game in gainesville and then a 1 for 1 in the 2030s, lol. It really makes it seem much better.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#1485 » by Viper1500 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:03 pm

Awesome news, regardless of the time line.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1486 » by UCF » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:57 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:The rumor is it'll be at bounce house. But either way it's kind of a ridiculous deal. The return game is 9 years away, and the third is 12 years away. I mean I love the 2024 game, just wish the return was a bit earlier, or that it was a 1 for 1 since the return game is so far.

I know some are freaking out that this sets a precedent and other P5 teams will now demand only 2 for 1s and all that, but we NEED scheduling. And sure, with the playoff expanding by then it doesn't make too much of a difference because we won't need those marquee P5 games to qualify anymore (just be the best Non P5), but I think it'll be a great game for the fans in 2030 and 2033, and IMO that's all that truly matters. Want to be the best? win those games.

I laughed because odds are the people setting it up won’t be there when/if it’s played.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,088

Post#1487 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:51 pm

UCF wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:The rumor is it'll be at bounce house. But either way it's kind of a ridiculous deal. The return game is 9 years away, and the third is 12 years away. I mean I love the 2024 game, just wish the return was a bit earlier, or that it was a 1 for 1 since the return game is so far.

I laughed because odds are the people setting it up won’t be there when/if it’s played.

That 2030 game and beyond is just a placeholder.... UF will gladly pay whatever they need to get out of it when the time comes if they want
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,940

Post#1488 » by Ducklett » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:48 pm

I'm just glad that UF has gone back to scheduling some cupcakes to make up for having to play Bama, LSU, A&M, FSU, and UGA.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1489 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:12 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
UCF wrote:

That 2030 game and beyond is just a placeholder.... UF will gladly pay whatever they need to get out of it when the time comes if they want

Could be, though the rumor is the buyout is substantial (enough that it's unlikely UF does pay), which was one of UCF's requirements for the deal.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1490 » by UCF » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:56 am

I’m more curious how many seats we promised at our place.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1491 » by UCF » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:49 am

Big 12 seems about to be on fire soon…

Read on Twitter
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Re: UCF Football: Big 12? 

Post#1492 » by UCF » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Texas A&M must feel like a valuable member of the SEC :lol:
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#1493 » by Xatticus » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:01 pm

UCF wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’m surprised the SEC and Texas are coming to an agreement. Texas A&M, Colorado, Missouri, and Nebraska bolted the Big 12 largely due to Texas. Texas attempted to take over every aspect of the Big 12 upon joining and some schools got really tired of it. The schools that stayed didn’t really have any alternatives. This seems like a match made in hell.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#1494 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:41 pm

Unfortunately, the UCF/Florida series will almost certainly not happen if Oklahoma and Texas join the SEC.

The first game in 2024 *may* happen, but the last two definitely won't.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1495 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:22 pm

Knightro wrote:Unfortunately, the UCF/Florida series will almost certainly not happen if Oklahoma and Texas join the SEC.

why?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#1496 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:22 pm

Xatticus wrote:
UCF wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’m surprised the SEC and Texas are coming to an agreement. Texas A&M, Colorado, Missouri, and Nebraska bolted the Big 12 largely due to Texas. Texas attempted to take over every aspect of the Big 12 upon joining and some schools got really tired of it. The schools that stayed didn’t really have any alternatives. This seems like a match made in hell.

thing is, it has to be a unanimous vote to allow any new schools in. So Texas and Oklahoma will have to schmooze A&M because they really dont want them in.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1497 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:31 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
Knightro wrote:Unfortunately, the UCF/Florida series will almost certainly not happen if Oklahoma and Texas join the SEC.

why?

A 16-team SEC will adopt a permanent 9 game conference schedule.

I also don't believe the contract has been formally signed anyway.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1498 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:32 pm

tiderulz wrote:thing is, it has to be a unanimous vote to allow any new schools in. So Texas and Oklahoma will have to schmooze A&M because they really dont want them in.

Pretty sure it does NOT have to be unanimous. I believe 4 teams need to object to block.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#1499 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:39 pm

Knightro wrote:
tiderulz wrote:thing is, it has to be a unanimous vote to allow any new schools in. So Texas and Oklahoma will have to schmooze A&M because they really dont want them in.

Pretty sure it does NOT have to be unanimous. I believe 4 teams need to object to block.

so maybe not unanimous, but 1 school could stop it. A&M in this case
There is also the issue of an unwritten rule, the "gentleman's agreement," between SEC schools that gives conference members "absolute veto power" over the addition of another school from their state, according to a former Texas A&M official.

R. Bowen Loftin, who helped steer the Aggies into the SEC in 2011 while serving as A&M's president, said the oft-discussed unwritten rule was a "specific conversation" when he was involved in expansion talks in 2010-11. (Loftin also served as chancellor at Missouri from 2014 to '15 after the Tigers made the move to the SEC.)

"There's this understanding among the membership, at least it was 10 years ago, that you don't admit a school from the same state as a member school unless that member school's OK with it," Loftin told ESPN on Thursday. "We talked about it from time to time among ourselves, that this was the way it was going to be, that if we had another school in Texas wanting to enter the SEC, Texas A&M would have veto power."
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1500 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Knightro wrote:

so maybe not unanimous, but 1 school could stop it. A&M in this case
There is also the issue of an unwritten rule, the "gentleman's agreement," between SEC schools that gives conference members "absolute veto power" over the addition of another school from their state, according to a former Texas A&M official.

R. Bowen Loftin, who helped steer the Aggies into the SEC in 2011 while serving as A&M's president, said the oft-discussed unwritten rule was a "specific conversation" when he was involved in expansion talks in 2010-11. (Loftin also served as chancellor at Missouri from 2014 to '15 after the Tigers made the move to the SEC.)

"There's this understanding among the membership, at least it was 10 years ago, that you don't admit a school from the same state as a member school unless that member school's OK with it," Loftin told ESPN on Thursday. "We talked about it from time to time among ourselves, that this was the way it was going to be, that if we had another school in Texas wanting to enter the SEC, Texas A&M would have veto power."

Not to be a jerk, but a "gentleman's agreement" isn't legally binding in any respect. It really means nothing.

If all of the other SEC schools want it to happen, Texas A&M is going shut up and take it.

Of course A&M's other option would be to quit the SEC, but I have my doubts they're willing to give away those fat SEC television contract checks.

Return to Orlando Magic