Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#441 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:11 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Green is 3 inches taller not 5...unless it is true he has grown a lot in the past year, he has the same ws as Okoro or shorter and that makes him 1" longer than Sexton ...1 inch for a player even less interested in playing defense than Sexton isnt allowing him to defend all 2 guards efficiently...
Greens greatest skill is his Ja Morant athleticism and everything else about his game is very similar to Sexton with a touch more KPJ like being able to shoot at a high level in iso situations and make shots or blow by defenders and has some passing skills but like Sexton always being a first option would have to be just that on this roster to justify taking him.That wont solve your dilemna of stagnated offense at all...
I would rather they kept Sexland another season at this point with the ability to stagger Okoro in and out of the guard rotation and take Mobley Barnes or Kuminga at 3 whoever they like as the highest ceiling prospect even if they dont help much right away offensively or see if they can get an actual return for DG like 7th from GSW taking Suggs or Green at 3 and bpa sf/pf at 7

Mobley still seems like our guy this week, and yes, that would let them punt on a Sexland decision. His shooting has a long ways to go, but given he's 7ft and everything else he brings it's pretty easy to set that aside.

Ideal situation is Mobley is there for sure, but I am not buying Houston takes somebody besides Mobley at 2 except that there is some reason to believe they would value Green enough where they would be willing to trade down a spot to 3 to pick up a future from CLE so the Cavs can secure Mobley or something if Cavs are desperate

I didn't think the Rockets fit problems were as confusing as ours, but they do have John Wall, KPJ, Jae'Sean Tate, and Christian Wood still on the roster. KPJ declaring he's a point-guard will be interesting news to Wall, and they might like to clear off Eric Gordon but they have to find a taker.

Detroit isn't short on bigs and wings either so they will need to sort out who they believe in and who they don't to make space for Cade or whoever they end up taking.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#442 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:19 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
It's the same calf, no? I don't think he's taking a buyout. A medical retirement might be in the cards though. He gets 100% of his salary and a year from now the Cavs get his salary removed from the cap.

Who knows for sure what's going on, but I'm reading it as Kevin is not able to contribute to the team and they want to add someone who might. Pops was lamenting the conditioning of his group. So, I suspect it's more a case that Love can't just saunter in and contribute. When the NBA season startsup, though, he'll have time to sleep-walk through training camp, loaf through pre-season, and ease his way in to the regular season ... and then if we're "lucky" we'll catch a few weeks of whatever peak KLove turns out to be before the trade deadline.

If that's the case, and the injury is a fig leaf, then I'm definitely starting Nance at PF.

I'm not sure it's a "fig leaf", so much as a case of the media and aggregators warping a story until it seems to say something that was never said:

Love said via his agent: ""I am incredibly disappointed to not be heading to Tokyo with Team USA, but you need to be at absolute peak performance to compete at the Olympic level and I am just not there yet."

Wojo said: "After spending 10 days in Las Vegas preparing for the Olympics, Cleveland’s Kevin Love is withdrawing from Team USA and won’t travel to Tokyo, sources tell ESPN. Love is still returning to full form from a right calf injury that kept him out a significant part of the NBA season."

CBS Sports headline said "Team USA basketball: Kevin Love withdraws from competing in Olympics due to lingering right calf injury"

So, we start with no mention of the calf injury, to the calf injury being brought up as context, to the calf injury being given as the main reason.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,128

Post#443 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:24 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Who knows for sure what's going on, but I'm reading it as Kevin is not able to contribute to the team and they want to add someone who might. Pops was lamenting the conditioning of his group. So, I suspect it's more a case that Love can't just saunter in and contribute. When the NBA season startsup, though, he'll have time to sleep-walk through training camp, loaf through pre-season, and ease his way in to the regular season ... and then if we're "lucky" we'll catch a few weeks of whatever peak KLove turns out to be before the trade deadline.

If that's the case, and the injury is a fig leaf, then I'm definitely starting Nance at PF.

I'm not sure it's a "fig leaf", so much as a case of the media and aggregators warping a story until it seems to say something that was never said:

Love said via his agent: ""I am incredibly disappointed to not be heading to Tokyo with Team USA, but you need to be at absolute peak performance to compete at the Olympic level and I am just not there yet."

Wojo said: "After spending 10 days in Las Vegas preparing for the Olympics, Cleveland’s Kevin Love is withdrawing from Team USA and won’t travel to Tokyo, sources tell ESPN. Love is still returning to full form from a right calf injury that kept him out a significant part of the NBA season."

CBS Sports headline said "Team USA basketball: Kevin Love withdraws from competing in Olympics due to lingering right calf injury"

So, we start with no mention of the calf injury, to the calf injury being brought up as context, to the calf injury being given as the main reason.

At this point, it's a mistake to plan on Love being available to start IMO.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#444 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

With Love like this, the need for the Evan Mobley selection becomes more evident
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#445 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:38 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Prediction: We draft Mobley and it only takes 3 exhibitions games before JBB is salivating over starting Allen, Mobley, and Okoro in our front court. Quote to media: "Who needs floor spacing when the opposing team can't get a shot off?"
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#446 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:08 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Whats a 'fig leaf'
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#447 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:11 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Whats a 'fig leaf'

Cover. Meaning he's just not good enough to play for Team USA anymore and they went with calf injury.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#448 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Whats a 'fig leaf'

Cover. Meaning he's just not good enough to play for Team USA anymore and they went with calf injury.

That makes sense. Also, if he continues to be injured into the season. I could almost guarantee he is bought out at the deadline. Especially if we get Mobley, there will be no room for Love on the roster so we will basically be paying him 30m per year to give us 22mins a night off the bench.

I feel like hes going through a Carmelo moment of trying to mentally come to terms with the fact he is no longer a franchise cornerstone type player and the next 3-5 years of his career will be a role player. Melo struggled with it, Love seems to be struggling with it as well.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#449 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:25 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Whats a 'fig leaf'

That makes sense. Also, if he continues to be injured into the season. I could almost guarantee he is bought out at the deadline. Especially if we get Mobley, there will be no room for Love on the roster so we will basically be paying him 30m per year to give us 22mins a night off the bench.

I feel like hes going through a Carmelo moment of trying to mentally come to terms with the fact he is no longer a franchise cornerstone type player and the next 3-5 years of his career will be a role player. Melo struggled with it, Love seems to be struggling with it as well.

That seems really, really optimistic tbh.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#450 » by Harper4Ferry? » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:45 pm

McGee for Love is an upgrade for team USA even if Love is at "full strength".
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#451 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:07 am

watching Crowder all playoffs has been nasty flashbacks to his (thankfully brief) time here. Brick, brick, brick, wideopen 3, brick. Then he'll do some dirty stuff.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#452 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:01 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:watching Crowder all playoffs has been nasty flashbacks to his (thankfully brief) time here. Brick, brick, brick, wideopen 3, brick. Then he'll do some dirty stuff.
Yeah, he's good of the bench but he's one of those guys where less is more and if you play him too many minutes, you'll regret it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#453 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:20 pm

Funny in this day and age, after the grind of the season and the playoffs ... Phoenix shot just 6 for 24 and Milwaukee 6 for 25 on 3pters, and the finals MVP only attempted 2 of them.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#454 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:33 pm

Unless we want to call Giannis a SF, I thought it was interesting to see a Finals without a dominate SF. Whenever I think about the Cavs roster makeup, I always drift towards us going nowhere until we have a dynamic SF, but this series helped to diffuse that thinking a bit for me.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#455 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:13 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:Unless we want to call Giannis a SF, I thought it was interesting to see a Finals without a dominate SF. Whenever I think about the Cavs roster makeup, I always drift towards us going nowhere until we have a dynamic SF, but this series helped to diffuse that thinking a bit for me.

Yep, there's going to be a quick shift in thinking that maybe Mobley can be that franchise caliber player (especially if we end up drafting him, lol).
mcfly1204
General Manager

Post#456 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:24 pm

Don't think I follow the "lol" at the end there. Not a Mobley fan?
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#457 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:20 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:Don't think I follow the "lol" at the end there. Not a Mobley fan?

Nah, that was more about how attitudes change once a player becomes an actual member of the team rather than just a potential member.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#458 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:53 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:Don't think I follow the "lol" at the end there. Not a Mobley fan?

Nah, that was more about how attitudes change once a player becomes an actual member of the team rather than just a potential member.

There are people that don't think Mobley can be franchise caliber? The only 3 players in this draft I have a high opinion of being franchise caliber are Cade/Green/Mobley in whatever order you want. They all do things differently than the rest and need different things around them.
mcfly1204
General Manager

Post#459 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:57 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

There are people that don't think Mobley can be franchise caliber? The only 3 players in this draft I have a high opinion of being franchise caliber are Cade/Green/Mobley in whatever order you want. They all do things differently than the rest and need different things around them.

Mobley looks like he can (keyword) be a premiere C\PF in today's NBA. Think Chris Bosh with elite defense.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#460 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:11 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I was talking unstoppable force of nature level, not franchise player level.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers