ImageImage

Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread Part 3

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Re: Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread Part 3 

Post#1141 » by saloonyk8 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:04 pm

Assuming Lavine would resign, what are thoughts on 2 for 1: Lavine for Bogi and Huerter? The numbers for salary are close but Huerter is pending a big raise
Commit to the process
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#1142 » by saloonyk8 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:06 pm

jayu70 wrote:
saloonyk8 wrote:I mean if they want to max out Collins and give us Wiseman, 7, 14 I'll take it lol

How exactly does this play out? You have several issues:
1. You can't use 2021 picks in a SnT since JC is a RFA and tge draft is prior to FAcy, you'd have to get future picks or take the player GSW selects at #7 and #14. Future picks from GSW will be late picks.
2. Wiseman $9 mil, #7 pick $5.5 mil, #14 pick $3.5 mil - that's $18 million - Hawks will have no capspace to sign anyone in FAcy? Hawks will have to take back Wiggins since GSW won't be able to take Collins salary without sending equal. How do yiu see two rookies helping the team improve upon last season?

This only works if you can parlay those picks into an immediate upgrade to help on the court to WIN - similar to what GSW is trying to do.

I was just joking.

I think getting multiple FRP for a few agent you might let walk would be a good haul, generally speaking.
Commit to the process
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,911

Post#1143 » by jayu70 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:57 am

saloonyk8 wrote:Assuming Lavine would resign, what are thoughts on 2 for 1: Lavine for Bogi and Huerter? The numbers for salary are close but Huerter is pending a big raise

Lavine has 1 year left on his deal, he won't sign an extension to his existing contract as he can make more money by becoming a FA in the 2022 offseason and signing a new contract starting at $34 million. (30% of the $115 salary cap next offseason).
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,466

Post#1144 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:26 pm

jayu70 wrote:
saloonyk8 wrote:Assuming Lavine would resign, what are thoughts on 2 for 1: Lavine for Bogi and Huerter? The numbers for salary are close but Huerter is pending a big raise

Lavine has 1 year left on his deal, he won't sign an extension to his existing contract…

Assuming Zach can repeat last year’s production/efficiency, it’d be a win-win for both teams.

And the chance to play on a post season team for years to come seems like it would be very attractive to him.
Vincecarder
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#1145 » by Vincecarder » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:18 pm

A big question is what is Huerter going to sign for? I'm sure he will decline rookie contract and want something like Luke Kennard at $16 million a season or more if he signs an offer sheet with another team. Bogdanovic got $18 million a year and if Huerter signs something in that range will the Hawks match or let him walk?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,911

Post#1146 » by jayu70 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:34 pm

Vincecarder wrote:

A big question is what is Huerter going to sign for? I'm sure he will decline rookie contract and want something like Luke Kennard at $16 million a season or more if he signs an offer sheet with another team. Bogdanovic got $18 million a year and if Huerter signs something in that range will the Hawks match or let him walk?

Huerter is eligible for an early extention this offseason, word is the Hawks want him locked up if both sides can agree on a number, if not he gets to RFA next offseason. It's too soon to tell if Hawks will match - depends on how he plays next season. There is a scenario where if he plays well enough, he might make Bogi expendabl, so in this scenario Hawks match and trade Bogi.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1147 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:59 am

How can we benefit from this?
What does Danilo want?
How would we replace DG in the rotation?

Read on Twitter
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#1148 » by King Ken » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:31 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:How can we benefit from this?
What does Danilo want?
How would we replace DG in the rotation?

Read on Twitter

If Beasley is offered, I can see a small long term benefit but I see NO benefit for MIN in that deal.
McDaniels is a higher end prospect so I see NO benefit of him being added in a deal for Gallo.
Gallo is far too valuable for guys like Rubio, Okogie, and their useless bench players.

So I don't see any benefit for the Hawks in this. I really don't see too much benefit for MIN unless it's getting Gallo for their trash, then it's an amazing deal for MIN and a **** deal for us.

Gallo wants to be back based on the exit interview.

We can't. Once he's gone, we are back to being f'd like we were last year when Parker and scrubs were our backup 4s. Knight isn't ready to be an impactful 2nd stringer. He's growing into the 3rd string, he needs a couple of years of development.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1149 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:01 pm

King Ken wrote:Gallo is far too valuable for guys like Rubio, Okogie, and their useless bench players.

So I don't see any benefit for the Hawks in this. I really don't see too much benefit for MIN unless it's getting Gallo for their trash, then it's an amazing deal for MIN and a **** deal for us.

Once he's gone, we are back to being f'd like we were last year when Parker and scrubs were our backup 4s. Knight isn't ready to be an impactful 2nd stringer. He's growing into the 3rd string, he needs a couple of years of development.

IDK. If there's a way to gift Danilo to Minny and take no salary cap back for next season (i.e. future draft picks), there is definitely some benefit in adding another $20+ million in cap space this summer. We could use that money to upgrade the backup PG position with a veteran (Derrick Rose, Kyle Lowry, Lonzo Ball) and still have some funds for a backup big (Lauri Markkanen, Kelly Olynyk, Blake Griffin).

Hell, dumping Gallinari would allow us to match whatever crazy offer John Collins is likely to receive in RFA with little financial penalty...since that seems to be a popular choice among fans.

The biggest downside to moving DG this summer: his final year of salary is only partially guaranteed for 2023, making him a very attractive trade piece in 6-12 months for teams looking to shed salary.

Read on Twitter
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1150 » by King Ken » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
King Ken wrote:Gallo is far too valuable for guys like Rubio, Okogie, and their useless bench players.

Once he's gone, we are back to being f'd like we were last year when Parker and scrubs were our backup 4s. Knight isn't ready to be an impactful 2nd stringer. He's growing into the 3rd string, he needs a couple of years of development.

IDK. If there's a way to gift Danilo to Minny and take no salary cap back for next season (i.e. future draft picks), there is definitely some benefit in adding another $20+ million in cap space this summer. We could use that money to upgrade the backup PG position with a veteran (Derrick Rose, Kyle Lowry, Lonzo Ball) and still have some funds for a backup big (Lauri Markkanen, Kelly Olynyk, Blake Griffin).

Hell, dumping Gallinari would allow us to match whatever crazy offer John Collins is likely to receive in RFA with little financial penalty...since that seems to be a popular choice among fans.

The biggest downside to moving DG this summer: his final year of salary is only partially guaranteed for 2023, making him a very attractive trade piece in 6-12 months for teams looking to shed salary.

Read on Twitter

No matter how crazy the offer for JC. Atlanta has 15.3 million with 10 players + min spot + 20th overall which is 12 players. The lux is 136.6. Atlanta would have to spend 40.3 million this offseason on 3 spots to go over the LT. Considering JC max with others is limited due to his 4th year status. It's simply not possible to spend that much.

As for MIN, they have no cap space. They would have to do an even dollar deal making a Gallo deal useless for us.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#1151 » by kg01 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:45 pm

King Ken wrote:No matter how crazy the offer for JC. Atlanta has 15.3 million with 10 players + min spot + 20th overall which is 12 players. The lux is 136.6. Atlanta would have to spend 40.3 million this offseason on 3 spots to go over the LT. Considering JC max with others is limited due to his 4th year status. It's simply not possible to spend that much.

As for MIN, they have no cap space. They would have to do an even dollar deal making a Gallo deal useless for us.

People aren't really thinking any of this through. They just want moves for the sake of making moves. Just so they can feel like the team is doing something. Whether the moves actually making any sense or actually improve the team, doesn't matter.
king01 :king:
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1152 » by King Ken » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:51 pm

kg01 wrote:
King Ken wrote:No matter how crazy the offer for JC. Atlanta has 15.3 million with 10 players + min spot + 20th overall which is 12 players. The lux is 136.6. Atlanta would have to spend 40.3 million this offseason on 3 spots to go over the LT. Considering JC max with others is limited due to his 4th year status. It's simply not possible to spend that much.

People aren't really thinking any of this through. They just want moves for the sake of making moves. Just so they can feel like the team is doing something. Whether the moves actually making any sense or actually improve the team, doesn't matter.

Most of the bark if not all of it is coming from other fanbases who don't care about us or value us. So stupidity spews like diarrhea.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1153 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:28 pm

kg01 wrote:People aren't really thinking any of this through. They just want moves for the sake of making moves.

It's less about making moves for the sake of making moves, and more about being aggressive in shoring up our weaknesses. This is the most team success we've had in years, but there are clear holes to fix if we want to see improvement next season.

Dozens if teams make the Conf Finals one year and never make it back.

Why are we magically exempt when every other contender is making moves to improve their rosters?
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#1154 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:41 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:People aren't really thinking any of this through. They just want moves for the sake of making moves.

It's less about making moves for the sake of making moves, and more about being aggressive in shoring up our weaknesses. This is the most team success we've had in years, but there are clear holes to fix if we want to see improvement next season.

Why are we magically exempt when every other contender is making moves to improve their rosters?

What makes you think that the Hawks won't make move to improve the team? It's easy to argue that the Hawks have the most development upside in the NBA. I think that the moves that will be made will be for depth... not remaking the roster.. not this year at least. We'll see
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#1155 » by kg01 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:03 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Wait, what moves have "contenders" made to improve their rosters thus far?

Did I miss something?

Or perhaps you're giving several teams credit for simply coming back healthy and you are thusly assuming they'll be better.. and better than us?
king01 :king:
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,481

Post#1156 » by dms269 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:06 pm

Even if we could dump Gallo on another team, we would only have a little bit north of 20 million to sign someone, and that would need to be before JC accepts his deal. I am not against trading Gallo if we can get some value. If Reddish is ready to come and play some major minutes, we have flexibility with the roster construction that makes Gallo expendable. We could do:
You have combinations of Hunter/Reddish/JC/Onkgowu who can play the 4 for minutes.

Rubio could be an interesting move as he would fill in our biggest hole (backup PG), does give us some vet experience, and doesn't impact us long-term. I would like a bit of an incentive for us though.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1157 » by King Ken » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:46 pm

dms269 wrote:Even if we could dump Gallo on another team, we would only have a little bit north of 20 million to sign someone, and that would need to be before JC accepts his deal. I am not against trading Gallo if we can get some value. If Reddish is ready to come and play some major minutes, we have flexibility with the roster construction that makes Gallo expendable. We could do:
You have combinations of Hunter/Reddish/JC/Onkgowu who can play the 4 for minutes.

Rubio could be an interesting move as he would fill in our biggest hole (backup PG), does give us some vet experience, and doesn't impact us long-term. I would like a bit of an incentive for us though.

Rubio is washed and isn't offensive minded enough to play without Trae in our heavy PnR based system. It's not a good fit and you are trading Gallo who's proven his value in the playoffs for us. I don't see any positive value at all in this. Didn't we learn anything from the terrible Rondo experience.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#1158 » by CP War Hawks » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:13 am

Not sure why people are going on about Gallo as if he's some untouchable piece. His contract was put into place so he could be traded and be more flexible.

I have confidence in Schlenk in whatever he decides. He's been steady in all facets up to this point.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 505

Post#1159 » by raleigh » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:10 am

Speculation about Rubio was that it took him a while to get back in shape after COVID. He's never been a good shooter, but I don't think he's washed.

He played well vs. the USA just a week or so ago.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1160 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:11 am

Thoughts on making a bid for Bobby Portis to strengthen our front court rotation and potentially weaken Milwaukee's?

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks