HOF chances for Khris Middleton

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Do you see Khris being inducted?

He's really far from that
36%
Needs another championship as a key player
10%
Needs another championship and a few more All-Star/All-NBA
25%
Just needs a few more All-Star/All-NBA
29%

Total votes: 204

ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,443

Re: HOF chances for Khris Middleton 

Post#21 » by ropjhk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:45 pm

If the Bucks go on to win the next two championships with Middleton playing like he did in the finals then not only will he be a HOFer but he will be in the conversation for greatest sidekick of all time.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,151

Post#22 » by durantbird » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:09 pm

WeSkrongDen wrote:
turnmeup88 wrote:I think the answer has to be just a couple more all-star appearances.

I'm curious to know say how many 5x all-stars with a chip as a relevant player are NOT in the HoF? I think 4-5 all stars seems to be the threshold to get in now.

0 All NBA teams. That means he's never been a top 15 player in the league in his entire career.

No, not necessarily. Please read the OP. He wasn't an All-NBA last year because of a technicality.
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#23 » by hege53190 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:20 pm

ropjhk wrote:If the Bucks go on to win the next two championships with Middleton playing like he did in the finals then not only will he be a HOFer but he will be in the conversation for greatest sidekick of all time.

Up to about a month ago I was one of the biggest Middleton fans out there screaming at anybody that would listen how impactful and good of a player he was.

But no. Conversation for greatest sidekick of all time? Really? Greatest #2 of all time. Not Pippen, Kobe, Durant or any number of unbelievable players?

Middleton is really good and impactful but people need to slow down a bit.
shi-woo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,102

Post#24 » by shi-woo » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:22 pm

The only way Khriss is a HoF is if he can keep this level of production, and the Bucks dynasty. Right now, he hasn't even had a better career than Rip Hamilton, who is a comparable player both by style and statistics. Rip has ZERO chance of making the hall, and he had a remarkable career as the key offensive punch for a team that won a title and went to another, and overall went to 5 strait ECF's...

Bucks would have to take home some serious hardware for Middleton to even get consideration
SeanieWard
Senior
And1: 480

Post#25 » by SeanieWard » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:25 pm

Probably the same as Rip Hamilton's chances as of today who has a 1.8% chance according to Basketball Reference

He has a lot more work to put in on his resume to be in consideration
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,217

Post#26 » by Bank Shot » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:47 pm

Pretty much zero unless the Bucks pick up a couple more rings. The stats and the All-Star games won't be there.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,214

Post#27 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:53 pm

turnmeup88 wrote:I think the answer has to be just a couple more all-star appearances.

I'm curious to know say how many 5x all-stars with a chip as a relevant player are NOT in the HoF? I think 4-5 all stars seems to be the threshold to get in now.

Here are the guys with 4-5 allstar games (I left giannis off lol)

Zelmo Beaty
Chauncey Billups
Carl Braun
Jimmy Butler
Mack Calvin
Billy Cunningham
Brad Daugherty
Wayne Embry
Donnie Freeman
Tom Gola
Gail Goodrich
Tim Hardaway
Connie Hawkins
Spencer Haywood
Al Horford
Dennis Johnson
Gus Johnson
Marques Johnson
Bobby Jones
Sam Jones
Larry Kenon
Rudy LaRusso
Kawhi Leonard
Kevin Love
Maurice Lucas
Pete Maravich
Bob McAdoo
Reggie Miller
Sidney Moncrief
Chris Mullin
Don Ohl
Andy Phillip
Charlie Scott
Gene Shue
Ralph Simpson
David Thompson
Klay Thompson
Rudy Tomjanovich
Wes Unseld
John Wall
Bobby Wanzer
Chris Webber
Paul Westphal
Vin Baker
Walt Bellamy
Otis Birdsong
Rolando Blackman
Ron Boone
Roger Brown
Joe Caldwell
Tom Chambers
Maurice Cheeks
Doug Collins
DeMarcus Cousins
Bob Dandridge
Bob Davies
DeMar DeRozan
Joel Embiid
Dick Garmaker
Johnny Green
Anfernee Hardaway
Mel Hutchins
Warren Jabali
Larry Jones
Bernard King
Bill Laimbeer
Clyde Lovellette
Shawn Marion
George Mikan
Paul Millsap
Earl Monroe
Willie Naulls
Bob Netolicky
Jim Pollard
ropjhk
RealGM

Post#28 » by ropjhk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:49 pm

hege53190 wrote:
ropjhk wrote:If the Bucks go on to win the next two championships with Middleton playing like he did in the finals then not only will he be a HOFer but he will be in the conversation for greatest sidekick of all time.

Up to about a month ago I was one of the biggest Middleton fans out there screaming at anybody that would listen how impactful and good of a player he was.

But no. Conversation for greatest sidekick of all time? Really? Greatest #2 of all time. Not Pippen, Kobe, Durant or any number of unbelievable players?

Think about where Pippen was as a player when the Bulls first won their championship.

Think about how that perception changed by the end of the first Bulls 3peat.

Keep in mind as well that I'm qualifying my statement with the requirement that Middleton plays like he did in the finals and not like how we've seen him play in disappointing outings in the past. I'm talking about if Middleton is his peak self for the next 2 years averaging better than 24 ppg, 6 rebs, 5 ast, 1.5 stls on good percentages along with pretty good defense as the 2nd best player and closer of a 3 peat championship team.

I'm talking best case scenarios for Middleton. If everything goes his way why wouldn't he be in the conversation? He may not be at the top of peoples list but he will get mentions and that means he will be a part of the conversation.
hege53190
Head Coach

Post#29 » by hege53190 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:08 pm

Bank Shot wrote:Pretty much zero unless the Bucks pick up a couple of more rings. The stats and the All-Star games won't be there.

If the Bucks win another championship with Middleton as the second leading scorer he has to be in the conversation for the hall of fame or Giannis has to be in the conversation as a top 7-10 player of all time the day it happens.
hege53190
Head Coach

Post#30 » by hege53190 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:13 pm

ropjhk wrote:
hege53190 wrote:

Think about where Pippen was as a player when the Bulls first won their championship.

Keep in mind as well that I'm qualifying my statement with the requirement that Middleton plays like he did in the finals and not like how we've seen him play in disappointing outings in the past. I'm talking about if Middleton is his peak self for the next 2 years averaging better than 24 ppg, 6 rebs, 5 ast, 1.5 stls on good percentages along with pretty good defense as the 2nd best player and closer of a 3 peat championship team.

I'm talking best case scenarios for Middleton. If everything goes his way why wouldn't he be in the conversation? He may not be at the top of peoples list but he will get mentions and that means he will be a part of the conversation.

Again I am qualifying this as I was one of the biggest Middleton fans up until about a month ago. I love the guy.

Even with the qualified statement. He is not Kobe. He is not Durant. He is not Wade. He is not Magic/Kareem, McHale, Pippen, Dr.J. He is not close to that tier of player. If he was this Bucks team would be instant dynasty.

Middleton is really good and really impactful but people need to pump the brakes.
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#31 » by _qubik » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Not because he is an all time great, but because the way the hall works, witu a couple more All Stars and All NBA he will be inducted someday
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,168

Post#32 » by Godymas » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:25 pm

he should've made All Star this year but he'll probably get into the game a few more times as long as the Bucks continue to dominate. Probably ends up 4-6x All Star. He might make an All NBA third team twice. That and a championship is USUALLY good enough. If he wins a second championship in addition to making the mentioned All Star and All NBA selections, he's probably a lock.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#33 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:30 pm

No he’s not very close at all
ropjhk
RealGM

Post#34 » by ropjhk » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:31 pm

hege53190 wrote:
ropjhk wrote:
hege53190 wrote:

Again I am qualifying this as I was one of the biggest Middleton fans up until about a month ago. I love the guy.

Even with the qualified statement. He is not Kobe. He is not Durant. He is not Wade. He is not Magic/Kareem, McHale, Pippen, Dr.J. He is not close to that tier of player. If he was this Bucks team would be instant dynasty.

Middleton is really good and really impactful but people need to pump the brakes.

I guess there's only one way to find out and that's to see how people's opinions change if the Bucks can somehow 3 peat with Middleton winning the best supporting actor award each time.

I'm considering players as sidekicks only. I'm not considering Kobe's years after Shaq or Wade's years before Lebron. Durant isn't even a consideration for me because he arguably wasn't Curry's sidekick.

I consider Kobe to be a better player than Pippen but I don't consider young Kobe to have been a better sidekick than Pippen.

Ultimately for me Pippen is the measuring stick and if Middleton comes anywhere close to that (still a far ways to go) then I think my statement will prove true. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I am saying it's possible and shouldn't be discounted.
marley game
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#35 » by marley game » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:32 pm

hege53190
Head Coach

Post#36 » by hege53190 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:50 pm

ropjhk wrote:
hege53190 wrote:
ropjhk wrote:

I guess there's only one way to find out and that's to see how people's opinions change if the Bucks can somehow 3 peat with Middleton winning the best supporting actor award each time.

I'm considering players as sidekicks only. I'm not considering Kobe's years after Shaq or Wade's years before Lebron. Durant isn't even a consideration for me because he arguably wasn't Curry's sidekick.

I consider Kobe to be a better player than Pippen but I don't consider young Kobe to have been a better sidekick than Pippen.

Ultimately for me Pippen is the measuring stick and if Middleton comes anywhere close to that (still a far ways to go) then I think my statement will prove true. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I am saying it's possible and shouldn't be discounted.

Kobe was first team all nba twice and second team once from 1999-2002. He was all defense first team once and second team twice he was unbelievable. Middleton is not close to Kobe even the young one.

Durant was the second best player on the team. He made himself a sidekick. He is much better than Middleton.

Pippen was racking up all nba honors and all defense honors. There are so many good players now Middleton can not crack those lists.

Middleton is a very good player. He is not in the conversation as best sidekick ever. Even if the Bucks pull off a couple more championships. He just isn’t.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#37 » by donkeylips » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:54 pm

another ring as a key player, gold medal and a few more all nba honors
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
JustLucky
Rookie
And1: 700

Post#38 » by JustLucky » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:31 pm

hes only at two allstars and people saying he needs at least 5 sound about right 6 should be a lock like lowry whos current career is a good example of the floor to be in the hall. hes gonna get alot of respect after this chip and make it over other guys with similar numbers going forward so i like his chances . he should also have a chance for another chip which would count as an allstar appearance imo
JustLucky
Rookie
And1: 700

Post#39 » by JustLucky » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:34 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:

Here are the guys with 4-5 allstar games (I left giannis off lol)

Zelmo Beaty
Chauncey Billups
Carl Braun
Jimmy Butler
Mack Calvin
Billy Cunningham
Brad Daugherty
Wayne Embry
Donnie Freeman
Tom Gola
Gail Goodrich
Tim Hardaway
Connie Hawkins
Spencer Haywood
Al Horford
Dennis Johnson
Gus Johnson
Marques Johnson
Bobby Jones
Sam Jones
Larry Kenon
Rudy LaRusso
Kawhi Leonard
Kevin Love
Maurice Lucas
Pete Maravich
Bob McAdoo
Reggie Miller
Sidney Moncrief
Chris Mullin
Don Ohl
Andy Phillip
Charlie Scott
Gene Shue
Ralph Simpson
David Thompson
Klay Thompson
Rudy Tomjanovich
Wes Unseld
John Wall
Bobby Wanzer
Chris Webber
Paul Westphal
Vin Baker
Walt Bellamy
Otis Birdsong
Rolando Blackman
Ron Boone
Roger Brown
Joe Caldwell
Tom Chambers
Maurice Cheeks
Doug Collins
DeMarcus Cousins
Bob Dandridge
Bob Davies
DeMar DeRozan
Joel Embiid
Dick Garmaker
Johnny Green
Anfernee Hardaway
Mel Hutchins
Warren Jabali
Larry Jones
Bernard King
Bill Laimbeer
Clyde Lovellette
Shawn Marion
George Mikan
Paul Millsap
Earl Monroe
Willie Naulls
Bob Netolicky
Jim Pollard

ya looking at this list 5 allstars is not enough he needs 6 or another chip or two. hes 29 so that means he needs 4 allstars in the next 5 years that does not seem very likely his best chance is alot more championships.

I very highly doubt any non international player with 2 allstars at age 29 made the hall. Its not gonna happen
ropjhk
RealGM

Post#40 » by ropjhk » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:10 am

hege53190 wrote:
ropjhk wrote:
hege53190 wrote:

Kobe was first team all nba twice and second team once from 1999-2002. He was all defense first team once and second team twice he was unbelievable. Middleton is not close to Kobe even the young one.

Durant was the second best player on the team. He made himself a sidekick. He is much better than Middleton.

Pippen was racking up all nba honors and all defense honors. There are so many good players now Middleton can not crack those lists.

Middleton is a very good player. He is not in the conversation as best sidekick ever. Even if the Bucks pull off a couple more championships. He just isn’t.

I don't consider Durant to have been a sidekick, but I will agree that he had much more impact for the Warriors that Middleton did for the Bucks. So if Durant with his FMVPs is to be considered a sidekick then this discussion is over. I consider him and Curry to have been co-stars for the Warriors.

I think if Middleton can somehow sustain his Finals output over the course of a regular season and the Bucks are title contenders he will get all NBA honours.

My original post was more of a comment on how Middleton played in the finals and not a comment on the rest of Middleton's career. What I saw from him in the finals was very impressive to me and it was the type of performance that I thought compares well with other sidekicks to all time greats. I thought he complemented Giannis' weaknesses and made for a near perfect fit with Giannis. Honestly, as a fan you probably had a higher opinion of him than I did heading into the finals. Anyways I respect your opinion and I would love to see the Bucks in the finals again next year to put my statement to the test.

Return to The General Board