Giannis just made a lot of these nba stars look pathetic

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

ANTETOKOUNBROS
Starter
And1: 1,605

Re: Giannis just made a lot of these nba stars look pathetic 

Post#441 » by ANTETOKOUNBROS » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:28 pm

prime1time wrote:
ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:Lol at this thread. Giannis needed a game 7 OT to beat a gassed Kevin Durant and James Harden on one leg. Giannis's rings are nowhere near impressive. He got lucky and it's unlikely he win another one in MIL

All KD's rings definitely are behind Giannis' that much is not controversial. KD joining 3 hall of famers in their primes/late primes after a 73 win season. Yeah sorry, that will permanently look like a weak, weak move.

LeBron taking down a 73-10 team after being down 1-3, that still reigns as the best title since Dirk.

This is controversial. Giannis had a cake walk to the championship. The Suns are one of the worst Finals teams in the history of the NBA. Trae Young got injured in the ECF. The Nets were down 2 stars in the Semi-finals. And the Heat were the Heat. You can say KD's championships are easy, but I don't understand the hypocrisy of taking context into account for KD but not Giannis. Is there any argument you can make against KD other than just being a KD hater? Why not just be objective? KD would have won a championship in OKC if his main competition all had to deal with massive injuries.

This ultimately is the main goal of Giannis stans in this thread. To argue against context being taken into account with Giannis but to demand that context be taken into account with KD and LBJ. Not only is it intellectually dishonest, it's also embarassing. When talking about legacy, take your personal feelings out of it and be objective. What is the justification for using context to discount KD's championship and then ignoring context with regards to Giannis' championship?

Remember that he hyperextended his knee 3 weeks ago in really ugly fashion before putting in this finals gem. Play on a hyperextended knee much less carry an NBA team on it in an NBA finals, that doesn't sound like a cakewalk.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#442 » by prime1time » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:28 pm

Better yet, can Giannis please tell me when context should matter and when context shouldn't matter with regards to championships? Do you apply these principles consistently, or do you just say "I like Giannis" so I'll defend him and "I don't like KD" so I'll argue against him?
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,174

Post#443 » by KembaWalker » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:29 pm

imagine this, x6
thats why MJ is so revered
and people here act like LeBron is even remotely comparable
prime1time
Analyst

Post#444 » by prime1time » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 pm

ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:
prime1time wrote:
ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:
All KD's rings definitely are behind Giannis' that much is not controversial. KD joining 3 hall of famers in their primes/late primes after a 73 win season. Yeah sorry, that will permanently look like a weak, weak move.

LeBron taking down a 73-10 team after being down 1-3, that still reigns as the best title since Dirk.

This is controversial. Giannis had a cake walk to the championship. The Suns are one of the worst Finals teams in the history of the NBA. Trae Young got injured in the ECF. The Nets were down 2 stars in the Semi-finals. And the Heat were the Heat. You can say KD's championships are easy, but I don't understand the hypocrisy of taking context into account for KD but not Giannis. Is there any argument you can make against KD other than just being a KD hater? Why not just be objective? KD would have won a championship in OKC if his main competition all had to deal with massive injuries.

This ultimately is the main goal of Giannis stans in this thread. To argue against context being taken into account with Giannis but to demand that context be taken into account with KD and LBJ. Not only is it intellectually dishonest, it's also embarassing. When talking about legacy, take your personal feelings out of it and be objective. What is the justification for using context to discount KD's championship and then ignoring context with regards to Giannis' championship?

Remember that he hyperextended his knee 3 weeks ago in really ugly fashion before putting in this finals gem. Play on a hyperextended knee much less carry an NBA team on it in an NBA finals, that doesn't sound like a cakewalk.

Here you go again, bringing in context to defend Giannis. You just cherry-pick what you want to defend Giannis.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#445 » by prime1time » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:31 pm

KembaWalker wrote:imagine this, x6

MJ beat teams that were at full strength. This isn't on that level. Sorry.
ANTETOKOUNBROS
Starter

Post#446 » by ANTETOKOUNBROS » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:36 pm

prime1time wrote:
ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:
prime1time wrote:This is controversial. Giannis had a cake walk to the championship. The Suns are one of the worst Finals teams in the history of the NBA. Trae Young got injured in the ECF. The Nets were down 2 stars in the Semi-finals. And the Heat were the Heat. You can say KD's championships are easy, but I don't understand the hypocrisy of taking context into account for KD but not Giannis. Is there any argument you can make against KD other than just being a KD hater? Why not just be objective? KD would have won a championship in OKC if his main competition all had to deal with massive injuries.

Here you go again, bringing in context to defend Giannis. You just cherry-pick what you want to defend Giannis.

There is nothing to defend for Giannis, Giannis is not on trial for anything--only things that add to his credibility in the conversation. The whole point is Giannis' success creates devaluation (image-wise) of the titles for KD where the dominant narrative is he joined 3 other hall of famers in their primes to get over the hump.
ryguy613
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,513

Post#447 » by ryguy613 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:37 pm

The 2020 Lakers was not a super team, and literally every person talking **** on this board knows that because all of yall were talking about how that team was finna get smoked against the clippers. lol. Stop being haters and just enjoy the damn show from time to time. my god
ryguy613
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,513

Post#448 » by ryguy613 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:42 pm

Giannis Discussion...

Nobody:
MJ Stan: MJ IS THE GOAT! LEBRON CANT TOUCH HIM!!!!
Nobody:
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,174

Post#449 » by KembaWalker » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:46 pm

ryguy613 wrote:

Giannis Discussion...

Nobody:
Nobody:

you:

ryguy613 wrote:

Giannis Discussion...

Nobody:
Nobody:
Emhoward
Junior
And1: 397

Post#450 » by Emhoward » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:49 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
prime1time wrote:Why can't people just celebrate Giannis and the Bucks. Why use this as an opportunity to tear down other stars?

I have not a single clue beside who they are as people.

Really? We can celebrate Giannis -- and that's what a lot of us are trying to do, but when people start threads with takes that are so disagreeable, it's hard to not, you know, disagree!

"Giannis takes indirect shot at "super team" players" -- thats gonna provoke a response --

"Giannis just made a lot of these NBA stars look pathetic" -- that's gonna provoke a response --

If it makes you feel better, I can't remember the last Champion that didn't have similar reactions --
2020 Lakers - mickey mouse ring
2019 Raptors -- Hobbled GS, if KD and Klay were healthy
2018 GSW -- Cupcake Ring
2017 GSW - Cupcake ring
2016 CLE - maybe this one, but plenty of people still shaded them due to Dray being suspended
2015 GSW - hobbled Irving and Love, would have lost if Cavs were healthy
2014 Spurs -- these are the last champions that seemed to have been fully celebrated that I can remember.
Ugalde
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,260

Post#451 » by Ugalde » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:49 pm

prime1time wrote:Better yet, can Giannis please tell me when context should matter and when context shouldn't matter with regards to championships? Do you apply these principles consistently, or do you just say "I like Giannis" so I'll defend him and "I don't like KD" so I'll argue against him?

giannis didn’t choose for other players to get injured. KD chose to join a 73 win team that busted him up the year before. total bum. giannis >>> kd
politics
to many 3s
IzzyT
Junior
And1: 427

Post#452 » by IzzyT » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:06 pm

Free Rider wrote:
threethehardway wrote:
Free Rider wrote:And maybe if Harden dedicated himself to a strict workout regimen and healthier lifestyle rather than coasting on his natural talent he would have won a title by now rather than getting gassed out every playoffs when the pressure is turned on. He's able to coast his way through the regular season while playing trash teams but he often disappears in big moments, often because he doesn't seem to have the stamina or health to continue playing at a high level.

This is a typical American narrative where we paint all chubby people as lazy. Is it possible that Harden works insanely hard on his basketball skills, with a level of work ethic that most players can and do NOT touch, but he also has poor dietary habits (and probably genetics) that lead to a higher body fat level than other stars?

Or, you know, fat people are lazy. Almost as lazy as that narrative.
nbhadja
Sixth Man
And1: 1,148

Post#453 » by nbhadja » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:18 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:Yes. He did what Lebron & KD couldn't

Giannis ring > Lebron & KD's rings.

Lebron's and KD's rings are not even close and not even comparable. Lebron's 2016 is the goat and one of the few finals performances better than Giannis's.

kevin love is a big nothing. Also wade was broken down. Lebron went insane to win those 2012 and 2013 rings. Bosh actually missed a large chunk of the 2012 playoffs and Wade was very injured also. The heat weren't actually a super team despite their hype and name recognition. They didn't even have any rim protection or rebounding either. An old Duncan ripped Bosh a new one in the 2013 NBA finals also. Compare the playoff and finals performances for Bosh and Wade in 2012 and2013 to the playoff/finals performances for Klay/Curry/Green in the 2017 and 2018 finals.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,719

Post#454 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:22 pm

IzzyT wrote:
Free Rider wrote:
threethehardway wrote:

This is a typical American narrative where we paint all chubby people as lazy. Is it possible that Harden works insanely hard on his basketball skills, with a level of work ethic that most players can and do NOT touch, but he also has poor dietary habits (and probably genetics) that lead to a higher body fat level than other stars?

That's fair for an average person, but it is lazy for an athlete. Athletes should be stepping on the scale and paying close attention to their bodies. It's lazy if they are not monitoring their overall health.
nbhadja
Sixth Man
And1: 1,148

Post#455 » by nbhadja » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:23 pm

IzzyT wrote:
Free Rider wrote:
threethehardway wrote:

I think most of us are pretty lazy (except for the gym rats and the active sports/biking etc people). The problem with a lot of us is excess carb consumption,which the food pyramid incorrectly recommends. Go on keto or even regular low carb and try to be overweight. It's really hard to do.
IzzyT
Junior
And1: 427

Post#456 » by IzzyT » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:35 pm

nbhadja wrote:
IzzyT wrote:
Free Rider wrote:

I think most of us are pretty lazy (except for the gym rats and the active sports/biking etc people). The problem with a lot of us is excess carb consumption,which the food pyramid incorrectly recommends. Go on keto or even regular low carb and try to be overweight. It's really hard to do.

I work in the field. I don’t want to derail this thread, but 60% of obesity outcomes are explained by hereditary factors. Height, for reference, is 75%. Most people living in the western world have underlying genetic propensities that make it difficult or impossible to regulate satiation properly due to the types of foods that are pervasive in the culture.

Someone having a higher body fat percentage than is typical, even in athletics, is not necessarily an indication that they have poor adherence to their strength and conditioning program. It is possible to have great cardio and relatively higher body fat.

I’m pushing back against the idea that Harden is necessarily lazy because he doesn’t have rippling abs and goes to strip clubs. I think that’s kind of insane to say given he’s KNOWN for pushing his skills.

I think we all know he showed up particularly out of shape to prove a point to the Houston FO this off-season. Doncic did the same thing (though not to prove a point) and he has a similar body composition. I find it equally crazy to call him lazy.
Chessboxer
Analyst
And1: 572

Post#457 » by Chessboxer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Crazy how none of this happens if Durant's feet are a couple of shoe sizes smaller lol

True, but the game wasn't over at that point. KD had his chance in OT, and the Bucks prevailed so that's that.

Also, this is not directed at you but for people who say Giannis had an easy road due to injures 2 things are at play:

1)Giannis suffered a severe hyperextended knee himself that many (including Giannis himself) thought ended his playoffs. He just came back and dominated, he should be getting credit for that.

2)All the injured stars like AD/Kawhi/Kyrie are injury prone players. Sadly it's not a surprise they were injured. If anybody asked before the playoffs if they would be surprised if any of those 3 got injured during the playoffs would anybody have been surprised? You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that says no.
" What I do is attack your ability. I don't have to stand over you and taunt you. You'll know when it's done that I'm better."

-Micheal Jordan
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,703

Post#458 » by jc23 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:25 pm

We all know a healthy nets team is the best team in the nba, but giannis got hurt himself yet was able to keep playing.

In 30 years nobody is going to give two **** about who was hurt and who wasnt. Just ask some 20 year old nba fans about the who was hurt in the in the 1981 playoffs, they wont know or will care.
Be curious, Not judgmental
ANTETOKOUNBROS
Starter

Post#459 » by ANTETOKOUNBROS » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:26 pm

jc23 wrote:We all know a healthy nets team is the best team in the nba, but giannis got hurt himself yet was able to keep playing.

In 30 years nobody is going to give two **** about who was hurt and who wasnt. Just ask some 20 year old nba fans about the who was hurt in the in the 1981 playoffs, they wont know or will care.

Yeah this is why the Bucks in my view had to win this year if it was going to happen; I think the Nets and Hawks would be much bigger threats next year if healthy.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#460 » by life_saver » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:51 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
prime1time wrote:So arbitrary how people decide one team is a super team and one team isn't. Middleton, Giannis and Holliday are all all-stars. Middleton elevated his game in the playoffs. It's hard not to argue that the game 5 performance isn't indicative of being a super team. Praise Giannis for staying in Milwuakee, but the Super Team dig is silly. 60s Celtics were a super team. 80s Lakers were a super team. 80s Celtics were a super team. 90s Bulls were a super team. 2000s Lakers were a super team.

How about this. Rank all NBA finals teams in the last 40 years. Where do the Suns rank? Giannis ekeed out a ring against historically weak competition. Heat, injured Nets, Hawks and Suns. Giannis played great but let's slow down on the hyperbole. This isn't Dirk vs. LBJ's heat or Wade vs. the Mavs. If Giannis wants real respect he's going to have to do it again.

It's more about how they abandoned ship and find the easy path instead of fighting through adversity and showing some pride/loyalty.

I mean people wanna see MJ grow and come back to dethrone the Bad Boys instead of just joining them for example.

Giannis probably would have done the same thing as KD or Lebron if Bucks failed a title by next couple of years..in this current era where stars are constantly judged based on number of rings irrespective of how well they have played, almost all stars would eventually form a suepr team if they fail to win ring by end of their 8th-9th season...in case of Giannis, atleast their Frotn office surrounded him with 2 stars...also, KD did stay at Thunder for 9 seasons before leaving..

Return to The General Board