kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#81 » by kb02 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:01 pm

SmellingColors wrote:
kb02 wrote:
SmellingColors wrote:
The poll was between him and Kai Jones and they're both good friends apparently. He said he'd love to play in Sacramento, but he felt conceited voting for himself. I believe him. If you listen to conversations about Moody's character from people who followed him at Arkansas they can't say enough about his maturity, leadership, etc. I personally wouldn't take it too seriously. I think we're all just used to getting burned lol

Yea, it's rare that you'll hear a college team hating on their own players. Good for recruiting. Coach K was lushing over Bags.

That said, my school has been one of the rare schools to hate. UCLA hated on Ariza and Lavine. Howland wanted him to stay another year to give him a head start on his tenure at UCLA. Alford favored his son in the 2H of Lavine's Frosh year, because Lavine told him he was leaving.

What I listened to wasn't a coach. It was a college reporter on Arkansas so maybe a little less biased? Either way, I would take Moody's word for why he voted for Kai until proven it means something else

I've been following Mussleman, his coach. Actually ran into him a few times in the SF bay area. He's like 5'5.

I don't doubt Moody. I'm sure he voted for Kai to be humble.

I do doubt his game. Do not want him at 9. At 18? Sure.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#82 » by BoogieTime » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:13 pm

SmellingColors wrote:
kb02 wrote:
SmellingColors wrote:
The poll was between him and Kai Jones and they're both good friends apparently. He said he'd love to play in Sacramento, but he felt conceited voting for himself. I believe him. If you listen to conversations about Moody's character from people who followed him at Arkansas they can't say enough about his maturity, leadership, etc. I personally wouldn't take it too seriously. I think we're all just used to getting burned lol

Yea, it's rare that you'll hear a college team hating on their own players. Good for recruiting. Coach K was lushing over Bags.

That said, my school has been one of the rare schools to hate. UCLA hated on Ariza and Lavine. Howland wanted him to stay another year to give him a head start on his tenure at UCLA. Alford favored his son in the 2H of Lavine's Frosh year, because Lavine told him he was leaving.

What I listened to wasn't a coach. It was a college reporter on Arkansas so maybe a little less biased? Either way, I would take Moody's word for why he voted for Kai until proven it means something else

He didn't need to vote.

How weird is it that a draft prospect would be doing that for a fan poll?

So IMO he meant something either way, either he did or didn't want to play here..
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#83 » by SmellingColors » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:40 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
SmellingColors wrote:
kb02 wrote:

He didn't need to vote.

So IMO he meant something either way, either he did or didn't want to play here..

He's an 19 year old kid barely out of high school and his name and the names of his friends are plastered all over the internet, national media, etc being projected at any number of picks. It makes total sense to me that someone in that position might participate in a poll like that just while scrolling through IG without any premeditated motive about what it might "mean".

Then the person who did the poll shared his response and he responded to it. I really don't think it's a big deal.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#84 » by BoogieTime » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:21 pm

SmellingColors wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
SmellingColors wrote:

He didn't need to vote.

He's an 19 year old kid barely out of high school and his name and the names of his friends are plastered all over the internet, national media, etc being projected at any number of picks. It makes total sense to me that someone in that position might participate in a poll like that just while scrolling through IG without any premeditated motive about what it might "mean".

Then the person who did the poll shared his response and he responded to it. I really don't think it's a big deal.

Well, I'd ask this: If you didn't want to play for a certain team how would you let that be known?

Granted, he did speak to some degree with the Kings at the combine as well as other teams, though not sure we can take that for definitive interest

Aside from not working out for them, would you come out and flatly state you don't want to play for them?

Would you do something a bit more subtle?
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect

Post#85 » by SmellingColors » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:09 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
SmellingColors wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
He didn't need to vote.

Well, I'd ask this: If you didn't want to play for a certain team how would you let that be known?

Granted, he did speak to some degree with the Kings at the combine as well as other teams, though not sure we can take that for definitive interest

Aside from not working out for them, would you come out and flatly state you don't want to play for them?

Would you do something a bit more subtle?

I don't know what I'd do, but I certainly wouldn't participate in a random poll in the off chance that the person making the poll (who has no affiliation with the Kings FO) would post about it on social media to let the Kings know not select me at #9. That's such a implied leap imo.

His explanation for it, that he didn't vote for himself because it seemed conceited, seems far more reasonable.
OscarH
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#86 » by OscarH » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:57 am

My top 20 for Kings. I'm clearly alot higher on Moody than alot here. Teir 5-9 are all pretty close in grade

SmellingColors
Pro Prospect

Post#87 » by SmellingColors » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:05 pm

Moody's in Sac working out for the Kings today
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#88 » by BoogieTime » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:50 pm

SmellingColors wrote:Moody's in Sac working out for the Kings today

Glad to hear. Sounds I was wrong about the kid

He also appears to be the highest consensus guy that has come through, so far. That might help him on draft night if he's on the board (despite my personal reservations)
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#89 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:31 pm

Jalen Johnson worked out as well it looks like
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect

Post#90 » by SmellingColors » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:11 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Jalen Johnson worked out as well it looks like

We're getting a lot of guys in for our range to work out which is an incredibly low bar to reach, but one we've struggled with in the past.

I think we've had:

Moses Moody
Jalen Johnson
Alperen Sengun*
Kai Jones
Zaire Williams
Corey Kispert

*Didn't see if he actually worked out, but he had a pic in from of G1C so I'm assuming he did or at least interviewed.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#91 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:55 am

SmellingColors wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Jalen Johnson worked out as well it looks like

We're getting a lot of guys in for our range to work out which is an incredibly low bar to reach, but one we've struggled with in the past.

I think we've had:

Moses Moody
Jalen Johnson
Alperen Sengun*
Kai Jones
Zaire Williams
Corey Kispert

*Didn't see if he actually worked out, but he had a pic in from of G1C so I'm assuming he did or at least interviewed.

More are coming in than years past, for sure. 11 days left as well. Nice to see
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#92 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:32 am

Sengun seems a fairly boom/bust guy. On the clips Im underwhelmed by his body and athleticism, and wonder how he will survive defensively and how some of his offense will fare against bigger athletes. With that said he has some BBIQ/technique and a bit of toughness, to be sure. He is accomplished for his age, and some speak well of his motor (though I haven't seen more than a few minutes of film, and couldn't judge it). No idea how you would have that on your draft board. Though he has a sizable floor, I might take a chance on him before some of the other prospects in the top half of the first round that fit more the role player archetype that can be reasonably filled in FA. Also, ceilings are less boring I suppose
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#93 » by City of Trees » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:42 am

Usman Garuba should be in the conversation at #9. I love what he brings defensively. Looked good going against team USA too. He's a legitimate defender.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,431

Post#94 » by codydaze » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:42 pm

City of Trees wrote:Usman Garuba should be in the conversation at #9. I love what he brings defensively. Looked good going against team USA too. He's a legitimate defender.

I still think he goes later in the draft, I would really like to see us trade down with the Knicks for 19 and 21. I think we could still get Garuba there and pick up Trey Murphy as well hopefully. That would be a great haul.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#95 » by City of Trees » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:21 pm

codydaze wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Usman Garuba should be in the conversation at #9. I love what he brings defensively. Looked good going against team USA too. He's a legitimate defender.

I still think he goes later in the draft, I would really like to see us trade down with the Knicks for 19 and 21. I think we could still get Garuba there and pick up Trey Murphy as well hopefully. That would be a great haul.
I disagree, the mocks are way off this year. IMO Garuba is going lotto
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#96 » by City of Trees » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:18 am

Moody and Garuba are my guys at #9.

Home run is Moody at 9 followed by trading Buddy(plus asset) to get back into the 1st for Garuba.
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Post#97 » by jazanetti » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:36 pm

I think we should look for the highest ceiling. Garuba at 9 is not the right choice for me so. He will be good pick for a win ready team, looking for some immediate impact and solid/elite role player potential.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using RealGM mobile app
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#98 » by City of Trees » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:05 am

jazanetti wrote:I think we should look for the highest ceiling. Garuba at 9 is not the right choice for me so. He will be good pick for a win ready team, looking for some immediate impact and solid/elite role player potential.

Garuba has one hell of a high ceiling we are talking ALL NBA.

You're right a win now team could use the defense But going to a team like the Kings will allow him to focus on offensive improvement. The IQ on both ends is already present and his body is ready day 1. Kings could have a two way Star if the coaching staff can fix his shooting stroke.

Other players like Wagner, JJ, Sengun do nothing for me. I mean if Wagner is the pick I won't hate it but it's wasted on a guy who's never going to be more than a bench roleplayer

The Athletic confirms Monte is looking for a wing/forward with defensive acumen.

Wagner was a good college defender but he just doesn't look like a fluid athlete to me. Appears stiff. If he is the pick he does offer more on offense than Garuba as he can run pick and roll and he's already a good 3 or shooter for his age. Idk what it is Wagner just doesn't excite me.

If the pick is JJ I'll riot
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Post#99 » by jazanetti » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:19 am

City of Trees wrote:
jazanetti wrote:I think we should look for the highest ceiling. Garuba at 9 is not the right choice for me so. He will be good pick for a win ready team, looking for some immediate impact and solid/elite role player potential.

Garuba has one hell of a high ceiling we are talking ALL NBA.

You're right a win now team could use the defense But going to a team like the Kings will allow him to focus on offensive improvement. The IQ on both ends is already present and his body is ready day 1. Kings could have a two way Star if the coaching staff can fix his shooting stroke.

Other players like Wagner, JJ, Sengun do nothing for me. I mean if Wagner is the pick I won't hate it but it's wasted on a guy who's never going to be more than a bench roleplayer

The Athletic confirms Monte is looking for a wing/forward with defensive acumen.

Wagner was a good college defender but he just doesn't look like a fluid athlete to me. Appears stiff. If he is the pick he does offer more on offense than Garuba as he can run pick and roll and he's already a good 3 or shooter for his age. Idk what it is Wagner just doesn't excite me.

If the pick is JJ I'll riot
I see a lot of potential in both Jalen and Keon.
Ziair is another good choice at wing for me.

OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,001

Post#100 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:40 am

City of Trees wrote:
codydaze wrote:

I disagree, the mocks are way off this year. IMO Garuba is going lotto

I think you and I are in agreement once again.

I see this draft from pretty much six (possibly five) to twenty being completely interchangeable players that who goes solely depends on team need and desire and depending on opportunity/fit any could be a role player to a star with a couple of possible all-NBA caliber talents.

What I do not see in this draft are any obvious total busts.

Return to Sacramento Kings