Who would be the best defensive SF to defend Peak Lebron?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who since 1980 would be the best defensive SM too defend Lebron the best?

Dennis Rodman (Detroit)
24%
Scottie Pippen
21%
Ron Artest
15%
Kawhi Leonard
35%
Other
5%

Total votes: 152

narmerguy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Re: Who would be the best defensive SF to defend Peak Lebron? 

Post#21 » by narmerguy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:00 am

70sFan wrote:
narmerguy wrote:If we take Peak Lebron to be his 2012-2014 incarnation, probably Kawhi. Lebron had too much power for Pippen and too much speed for MWP or Rodman.

Young Detroit Rodman had better lateral speed than Kawhi in my opinion.

To be fair I did not start watching basketball until Rodman was with the Bulls so I didn't see the young Detroit version.
wutevahung
Pro Prospect
And1: 665

Post#22 » by wutevahung » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:02 am

Kawhi, when the options are all close, you make LeBron work on the other end.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#23 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:23 am

donnieme wrote:Did everyone just forget Artest and Lebron played in the same league. Almost from the same generation in fact, drafted in 99 and 03. Lebron actually looked stronger whenever they matched up.

Ignore the title on the video, Artest actually also had some good defensive performances on Lebron but Kawhi and Iggy were better Lebron defenders especially when they were on teams with lesser scoring roles.

That's not Ron Artest.

That's "Metta World Peace", or whatever. And there is a difference. Young pre-Malice Artest was a different sort of animal, a DPOY of the year so quick on his feet at 250 that he could lock down Dwayne Wade. Older Metta was a strong and saavy studier of defense -- people really underestimate how smart a defender he was -- you could learn a lot about an opponent's weaknesses just watching which way Artest would shade him ir press him. But he had bulked up a bit and lost some of his already not outstanding athleticism. Also embraced hs inner crazy of course.

It's kind of like the Rodman thing -- young DPOY Rodman was a freakish SF who could smother you with athleticism and a seemingly boundless supply of psychotic energy. Older freaky Rodman was a tatted up billboard haired bulked up PF who relentlessly pursued every rebound on the court, but had lost a step of quickness in the conversion.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,166

Post#24 » by donnieme » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:32 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
donnieme wrote:Did everyone just forget Artest and Lebron played in the same league. Almost from the same generation in fact, drafted in 99 and 03. Lebron actually looked stronger whenever they matched up.

Ignore the title on the video, Artest actually also had some good defensive performances on Lebron but Kawhi and Iggy were better Lebron defenders especially when they were on teams with lesser scoring roles.

That's not Ron Artest.

That's "Metta World Peace", or whatever. And there is a difference. Young pre-Malice Artest was a different sort of animal, a DPOY of the year so quick on his feet at 250 that he could lock down Dwayne Wade. Older Metta was a strong and saavy studier of defense -- people really underestimate how smart a defender he was -- you could learn a lot about an opponent's weaknesses just watching which way Artest would shade him ir press him. But he had bulked up a bit and lost some of his already not outstanding athleticism. Also embraced hs inner crazy of course.

It's kind of like the Rodman thing -- young DPOY Rodman was a freakish SF who could smother you with athleticism and a seemingly boundless supply of psychotic energy. Older freaky Rodman was a tatted up billboard haired bulked up PF who relentlessly pursued every rebound on the court, but had lost a step of quickness in the conversion.

I actually tried to get some earlier visual references but youtube wasn't popular when Artest was at his peak. I know Artest had some good games on Lebron especially as a Rocket. I might still give the nod to Iggy, he isn't at his peak and can still guard Lebron really well. Artest is the better defender, Iggy is the better assignment.
Rodrizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#25 » by Rodrizzle » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:48 am

I BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS....MY FRIEND!!!!
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,732

Post#26 » by hauntedcomputer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:26 pm

Artest might meet him in the stands to stop him, but Rodman would meet him at the hotel if necessary.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,471

Post#27 » by ellobo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:07 pm

Kawhi or Rodman probably. I've seen games where Kawhi really frustrated LeBron, but I've also seen games where Kawhi switched on screens too easily and LeBron could get Kawhi off of him seemingly any time he wanted. You can't stop a guy if you're not actually guarding him.

Iggy is interesting because the Warriors often left him on an island with LeBron and he did about as good an individual job on LeBron as anyone. He bodies up one moment, then gives ground the next, and his hands are always active going for deflections and steals. If he gets beat, he just lets LeBron go and doesn't exacerbate the situation with bad fouls. He gets roasted on lots of possessions, but he also gets his share of deflections and steals and good contests, and lets his teammates stay at home.

It actually reminds me of footage I've seen of Bill Russell playing against Wilt. Russell often tries to overplay or jump the entry pass (not really possible with LeBron when he dribbles into post ups), looks to reach in and get deflections, tries to make Wilt shoot over the top of him, and if Wilt beats him or gets great position, he just backs off and lets him score. He doesn't appear to have any ego about losing an individual possession.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
JoeBarryCarol
Freshman
And1: 59

Post#28 » by JoeBarryCarol » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:41 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:I was going to say Pippen reflexively, but looking at those names it occurs to me that peak Artest or Rodman might really cause Bron problems because they could match his strength. In fact I think I'm going to go with peak Artest here, although young Rodman might be a real adventure too, because I can't even imagine how Bron would respond to all of the Worm's antics and chucks to the ribs. He'd probably just flop down and roll around soccer style, but if you did that with Wormy he would just "accidentally" step on you or trip over you and land on your head or something.

The worm would definitely try to get into Lebron's head. I think Lebron would still get his since he has a real strength advantage over Rodman. It would be very interesting to watch that match-up and also watch LBJ get pissed-off over the worm's antics.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,619

Post#29 » by OdomFan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:48 pm

1. Scottie Pippen
2. Dennis Rodman
3. Ron Artest
4. Kwahi Leonard
5.Grant Hill
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,474

Post#30 » by Harry Garris » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:58 pm

flranger wrote:I think I'd take nine time first team All DEF Michael Jordan.

And that would be a huge mistake. No matter how much effort a player is giving or how good their defensive IQ is, size and athleticism are arguably the most important factors of what makes guys effective on defense. MJ would be at a size and strength disadvantage guarding Lebron.

His teammate Scottie Pippen would be better at it, but the guys that Lebron has struggled most against historically are players that can match not only his size and compete with him athletically, but also have the strength to hold their own when he tries to back him down.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#31 » by matt6715 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:59 pm

Swish1906 wrote:Image

Came here to say Marion.

Kawhi
Marion
Iggy

Would be my top 3
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#32 » by Statlanta » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:42 pm

Giannis because he came in as a SF.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,578

Post#33 » by NeoDragonKnight » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:01 pm

Kawhi or Rodman. Kawhi we already have seen the matchup. Rodman was a genetic freak athlete with the stamina to guard him all game long and still have energy to party in vegas after, would be a great matchup to have seen.
Kobe187
Starter
And1: 1,901

Post#34 » by Kobe187 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:13 pm

Jason Terry :lol:

LeBron’s not extremely difficult to guard 1-on-1, you just can’t have him catch speed at his size. He’s lethal off the pick and roll and in transition. He usually resorted to shooting 3’s or driving and looking for the foul if he wasn’t in a advantageous position to begin with, could never score through double teams like some of the better scorers in the NBA. That’s not a knock on Lebron as he’s not considered to be an amazing scorer but a great offensive player with a lot of versatility, he always needed to play with a great scorer to be truly successful.

Rodman on LeBron:

I would have locked his a** up. LeBron is so easy to play. He’s so f*cking easy to play, he don’t have any moves. Only move he has is streak down the line. He ain’t got no moves. Where he going?? Where is he going that’s quick??His game is too simple, he’s just a big… 6’8, 6’9. That’s the only thing he got. Pretty much.”
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,166

Post#35 » by donnieme » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:20 pm

Kobe187 wrote:Jason Terry :lol:

LeBron’s not extremely difficult to guard 1-on-1, you just can’t have him catch speed at his size. He’s lethal off the pick and roll and in transition. He usually resorted to shooting 3’s or driving and looking for the foul if he wasn’t in a advantageous position to begin with, could never score through double teams like some of the better scorers in NBA history (Jordan, Kobe etc.).

Lebron added a post game after the 11 disaster. He hasn't been that player that you could put smaller quicker players on for almost a decade.

Also Lebron isn't really easy to guard 1v1, there's a reason all these guys had elite rim protectors behind them. He also can't be doubled because he actually sees open teammates rather than making them an ego battle. Even Jordan didn't start winning till he did the same. Not sure why you reference being able to score through double teams like it's not dumb basketball. You're not suppsoed to shoot over a doubleteam. Way to waste your own gravity when someone else is open for a layup.
Monky15
Starter
And1: 692

Post#36 » by Monky15 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:32 pm

Honourable mentions Paul Pierce and Rashard Lewis.
SeanieWard
Senior
And1: 480

Post#37 » by SeanieWard » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:41 pm

All good choices

Prime Ron Artest on Bron would be fun..I'll go with him because of the size, strength, and foot speed. He was a beast defensively in Indiana

I'd love to see Pippen defend Bron as well

As tough as Kawhi made Bron work in the finals, I thought Bron still played great against him..just had to work a little harder than usual

Also, I'll throw in Pierce as an underrated defender on Bron. I think Bron alluded to this too if I'm not mistaken calling Pierce one of his biggest rivals
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#38 » by The_Hater » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:58 pm

4 good choices but I’m going with peak Rodman or peak Kawhi
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,846

Post#39 » by The Explorer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:01 pm

Pippen and Rodman would be the top choices here. People forget pippen had pretty good offense in his prime, which is also a good defense in itself as you have to make the star player work on the other end.

Pippen was also good at making the right reads which is needed since Lebron is a great passer. His activity level is like Giannis on steroids.

thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,909

Post#40 » by thebigbird » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:02 pm

Yeah I was going to say the same thing about Ron Artest. Artest won DPOY in 2004. Lebron played him four times that year, scoring 22, 23, 26, and 27 points. Those numbers aren’t anything eye popping, but we’re talking about rookie LeBron against peak Ron Artest, and Artest far from shut him down.

Return to The General Board