Raptors, Magic Make Offers To Move Up To 3

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Raptors, Magic Make Offers To Move Up To 3 

Post#1 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:12 pm

loving this

this draft class has some talent outside the top 5 as well. Clearly, the Knicks have their eyes on someone in the mid lottery, and looks like both Toronto and Orlando like someone in the top 3.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,760

Re: Raptors, Magic Make Offers To Move Up To 3 

Post#2 » by Duffman100 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:15 pm

My assumption is with Green being 'locked in' at #2, both teams are seeing the chance of nabbing a generational big man in Mobley.
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:20 pm

Duffman100 wrote:My assumption is with Green being 'locked in' at #2, both teams are seeing the chance of nabbing a generational big man in Mobley.

I love the use of the word "generational" . But honestly, if he's so "generational", that means he will surpass the talents of Jokic, Embiid, Ayton.

I'm only messing with you, but I will assume that you think Mobley has Embiid/Davis level talent?

Is Chris Bosh a dominant big man in today's NBA?
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,760

Post#4 » by Duffman100 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:22 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:My assumption is with Green being 'locked in' at #2, both teams are seeing the chance of nabbing a generational big man in Mobley.

I love the use of the word "generational" . But honestly, if he's so "generational", that means he will surpass the talents of Jokic, Embiid, Ayton.

I'm only messing with you, but I will assume that you think Mobley has Embiid/Davis level talent?

Not sure if he IS one, but maybe that's how they're viewing him!
BBgun
Analyst
And1: 1,210

Post#5 » by BBgun » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:22 pm

I think it could be the other way around with the Raptors at least. If they feel that the Cavs are gonna roll with Allen as their big man of the future, then they could be anticipating Cleveland would lean towards Suggs, and therefore be willing to trade up to ensure they get him instead.

I hope you're right though, because we need a game changing big in the worst way possible.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,823

Post#6 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:24 pm

Curious who the Cavs want. If they want Suggs then they should trade with the Raptors. If they want Barnes/Kuminga then they should trade with the Magic.
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:26 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Curious who the Cavs want. If they want Suggs then they should trade with the Raptors. If they want Barnes/Kuminga then they should trade with the Magic.

Can't this backfire on them? Surely, it'll be a draft day deal where they draft for the team they trade with, and then trade it for their man + other assets.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,063

Post#8 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:37 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:

yeah thats what i mean, hes gonna be a great player who needs a all nba playmaker/scorer beside him. The raptors need green.As long as we dont lose OG, i dont care how they do it, they just need to do it. we need a superstar scorer, i dont care if he cant do anything else on the court, the raptors will go find some guys at la fitness and make them boarderline all stars.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,823

Post#9 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:37 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Curious who the Cavs want. If they want Suggs then they should trade with the Raptors. If they want Barnes/Kuminga then they should trade with the Magic.

Can't this backfire on them? Surely, it'll be a draft day deal where they draft for the team they trade with, and then trade it for their man + other assets.

For sure, they'll need to be confident the player they really want will be at the draft spot they move to. So you'll need to be 100% sure of who the team ahead of you select.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Post#10 » by Slim Charless » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:19 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:

yeah thats what i mean, hes gonna be a great player who needs a all nba playmaker/scorer beside him. The raptors need green.As long as we dont lose OG, i dont care how they do it, they just need to do it. we need a superstar scorer, i dont care if he cant do anything else on the court, the raptors will go find some guys at la fitness and make them boarderline all stars.

If he's so good, why isn't Houston taking him at 2? They can build a twin towers situation and as my Suns just found out going against 2 high level bigs is a MAJOR difficulty.

Him and Woods would be a fantastic offense/defense team. Plus it's not like Houston is a stranger to high quality centers...
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,934

Post#11 » by zimpy27 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:25 pm

Davis looked a lot better than Mobley at the same age. Not saying Mobley will be bad but you can see an archetype that was far ahead of him in the league and you have to wonder if a lesser version is worth banking on.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#12 » by Jadoogar » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Davis looked a lot better than Mobley at the same age. Not saying Mobley will be bad but you can see an archetype that was far ahead of him in the league and you have to wonder if a lesser version is worth banking on.

From what i remember, Davis was a better defender at this stage but Mobley looks much better offensively right now, especially the passing. AD has improved a lot since college offensively, but he was seen as a defensive prospect coming out of college.

Davis is an all time defender so i doubt Mobley ever reaches that level, he looks like he could definitely reach Chris Bosh level.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,934

Post#13 » by zimpy27 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:53 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Davis looked a lot better than Mobley at the same age. Not saying Mobley will be bad but you can see an archetype that was far ahead of him in the league and you have to wonder if a lesser version is worth banking on.

From what i remember, Davis was a better defender at this stage but Mobley looks much better offensively right now, especially the passing. AD has improved a lot since college offensively, but he was seen as a defensive prospect coming out of college.

Davis is an all time defender so i doubt Mobley ever reaches that level, he looks like he could definitely reach Chris Bosh level.

In college Davis was limited by role but in high school he was a PG. His offensive range has improved in NBA in efficiency.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#14 » by RookieStar » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:07 pm

With my FO history of going Area-51 in regarding everything, and I hear TOR doesn't let anything slip as well, we can only assume that this comes from CLE end right? If so, they wanna initiate a bidding war? Who do they want?
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,678

Post#15 » by VanWest82 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:09 pm

I imagine Masai and Weltman who are longtime friends being out for beers together seeing this report and just laughing at the idea of Cavs trying to pit them against one another.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#16 » by clyde21 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:11 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:

Jokic/Embiid are generational...they are already top10 centers of all time

and yes, Mobley is also generational..best big prospect since probably Davis.
BHF
Veteran
And1: 2,683

Post#17 » by BHF » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:22 pm

clyde21 wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:

Jokic/Embiid are generational...they are already top10 centers of all time

and yes, Mobley is also generational..best big prospect since probably Davis.

Just curious, could you please name your top 10 centers of all time?
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,421

Post#18 » by SFour » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:26 pm

I don't think anything will happen....seems like Raptors and Magic are just testing the waters to see what the Cavs would want in return, there's no harm in asking.
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#19 » by durka » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:58 pm

If the Magic are offering both their picks I don't think there's any way the Raps can make an offer that compares. #4, next years pick and throw in Flynn? As a Raps fan I'm taking #5 and #8 over that if I'm Cleveland. Whichever of Suggs/Barnes the Raps don't take and another top 10 pick is a pretty damn good return for the Cavs.

Unless the Raps do something really crazy and try and do Siakam straight up for the pick. I know there were reports of the Cavs wanting more of a win now piece instead of more rookies. Siakam fits in pretty well with the core of Sexland, Okoro and Allen. Not sure if I see Masai making that kind of trade, but damn it would be exciting to bring in Mobley AND Suggs.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#20 » by Ducklett » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:01 pm

Orlando Magic would be stupid to trade 5 and 8 for 3 in this draft if Green is off the board. Mobley has warts and question marks that makes me afraid to pick him. Easily could be the next Wiseman.

Return to The General Board