DeMar DeRozan free agency

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: DeMar DeRozan free agency 

Post#41 » by Pinkyring » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:33 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:People underestimate and forget just how often it is for mid-30 ex-stars to take a paycut to join a contender. Lowry, Paul, Derozen are all very likely to take the MLE to sign with a BRK, LAL or even MIL. Remember Artest in 2010? He was only 30 and took a 4/24 deal to sign with LAL when HOU offered him 3/40. You can say the same about Steve Nash in 2012 - TOR offered him 2/40 and he took a sign-and-trade to LAL for 3/24.

I can easily see Derozen taking a 2/20 to sign with his hometown love, LAL.

Derozen is 31 that's not mid 30s he's not taking mle neither is lowry and you're smoking crack if he think Paul will opt out of 45m to take 10 the scenarios you're describing never happens
radeonboy
Analyst
And1: 3,704

Post#42 » by radeonboy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:34 pm

ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:He has an elite ability to get buckets and free throws like Kawhi; seems like he should have achieved won more than he has.

Same with Harden
Appostis
Veteran
And1: 2,207

Post#43 » by Appostis » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:34 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:
Appostis wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:Sure he’ll goto Lakers or nets

So...Let's just list all the teams with absolutely no cap space to sign him?

K..

Ever heard Of a sign and trade?

With what assets?!

:lol:

Ever hear of reality?
SeanieWard
Senior
And1: 485

Post#44 » by SeanieWard » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:37 pm

I think Sacramento would be a decent fit alongside Fox
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,273

Post#45 » by Froob » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:37 pm

Appostis wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:
Appostis wrote:

K..

With what assets?!

Ever hear of reality?

Not to mention the Spurs would want to pay somebody they are receiving from either of those teams lol. I think the Nets would have to S&T Dinwiddie which seems highly unlikely. I think only way Lakers get DeRozan is:

DeRozan S&T to LA
Schroder S&T to third team
Assets to Spurs

Not sure if that's possible under CBA to do a 3 way S&T...can't see Spurs wanting Schroder with the guards they have. DeRozan would be nice for the Lakers if they can pull it off.

I should also add, Pop doesn't seem motivated to help the Lakers lol. Probably makes this complicated trade proposal near impossible to pull off.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,985

Post#46 » by Richard4444 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:40 pm

Appostis wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:
Appostis wrote:

K..

With what assets?!

Ever hear of reality?

You know Derozan is an Unrestricted Free Agent. He can sign with any cap-spaced team and the Spurs will get nothing in return.

Spurs may do a sign-and-trade deal if the asset they are receiving are better than nothing (just cap space).
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Appostis
Veteran
And1: 2,207

Post#47 » by Appostis » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:43 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
Appostis wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:Ever heard Of a sign and trade?

With what assets?!

Ever hear of reality?

You know Derozan is an Unrestricted Free Agent. He can sign with any cap-spaced team and the Spurs will get nothing in return.

Spurs may do a sign-and-trade deal if the asset they are receiving is better than nothing (just cap space).

...they have no assets..this is not a hard concept to figure out.

No cap room to sign outright, and no assets worth the Spurs helping out the Lakers/Nets.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,715

Post#48 » by Jadoogar » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 pm

I think young teams are going to look at the Suns and Hornets and look to add a veteran star to help guide their young players. Demar would be a pretty good fit for a team like the Suns or Wolves that wants to take that next step.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#49 » by The_Hater » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:52 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:
Appostis wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:Sure he’ll goto Lakers or nets

K..

For sure. But neither of those teams appear to have the 2021 salaries to match such a scenerio without doing a 2-way sign and trade. (Say for Dinwiddie or Schroder) And those are rarer than rare.

They both seem like long shots to me. Especially the Nets where he would be the exact opposite fit for what that roster needs.
Froob wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:
Appostis wrote:

K..

Who are the Nets signing and trading? I don't think it's even possible for them to pull that off. Lakers might be able to pull it off with Schroder.

That would be a 2-way sign and trade with the Lakers, and those are extremely difficult to get all 4 parties happy with the deal. They’re rarer than rare.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,273

Post#50 » by Froob » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:53 pm

The_Hater wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:
Appostis wrote:

K..

For sure. But neither of those teams appear to have the 2021 salaries to match such a scenerio without doing a 2-way sign and trade. (Say for Dinwiddie or Schroder) And those are rarer than rare.

They both seem like long shots to me. Especially the Nets where he would be the exact opposite fit for what that roster needs.
Froob wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:Ever heard Of a sign and trade?

Who are the Nets signing and trading? I don't think it's even possible for them to pull that off. Lakers might be able to pull it off with Schroder.

That would be a 2-way sign and trade with the Lakers, and those are extremely difficult to get all 4 parties happy with the deal. They’re rarer than rare.

And on top of that, you have Pop who does not seem to want to help the Lakers under any scenario.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Roco14
Sixth Man
And1: 3,551

Post#51 » by Roco14 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:59 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Liam_Gallagher wrote:People underestimate and forget just how often it is for mid-30 ex-stars to take a paycut to join a contender. Lowry, Paul, Derozen are all very likely to take the MLE to sign with a BRK, LAL or even MIL. Remember Artest in 2010? He was only 30 and took a 4/24 deal to sign with LAL when HOU offered him 3/40. You can say the same about Steve Nash in 2012 - TOR offered him 2/40 and he took a sign-and-trade to LAL for 3/24.

I can easily see Derozen taking a 2/20 to sign with his hometown love, LAL.

Derozen is 31 that's not mid 30s he's not taking mle neither is lowry and you're smoking crack if he think Paul will opt out of 45m to take 10 the scenarios you're describing never happens

I want what he's smoking. Derozan's could probably get at least 80 M from a team like the knicks if he wanted to. People really think a 31 year old *almost* all-star last year is taking a 50-70 million dollar paycut? lol
JustWin wrote:Masai when asked about the teams problems and if he plans on making a move:

"Uhhh, dis a tuff one guiys.. hehe"
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,985

Post#52 » by Richard4444 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:00 pm

Appostis wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:
Appostis wrote:

With what assets?!

Ever hear of reality?

Spurs may do a sign-and-trade deal if the asset they are receiving is better than nothing (just cap space).

...they have no assets..this is not a hard concept to figure out.

No cap room to sign outright, and no assets worth the Spurs helping out the Lakers/Nets.

They have #22 rookie to deal;

They have 2027 FRP to give;

They have 2023,2024, 2025, and 2027 Second rounder to trade;

They have birds rights from THT, Caruso, and Schoeder and can do a sign and trade deal with them.

Kuzma and KCP deals are average fillers if needed.

They have no good assets. But they don't need to get assets as good as DeRozan to complete the trade. They just have to convince Spurs that the package is better than whatever Spurs can get in Free Agency (there are very few really good options in the market).
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#53 » by pad300 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:09 pm

I suspect that he's not going cheap. It is my understanding (mostly from rumor) that he got offered essentially a fill out your own contract offer from the Spurs, so long as it was only 2 years. That's $60-70 million for 2 years. He didn't take it because he wanted more years. So anything less than that, he better like the destination a lot. I certainly don't expect him to sign for less than $20M annually.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,321

Post#54 » by Scalabrine » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:23 pm

DrWood wrote:DeRozan is an elite mid-range shooter. And a pretty good facilitator.
Unfortunately, focusing on a mid-range game makes him a dinosaur.

Devin Booker and Chris Paul are two of the best mid range scorers in the game.
Go Knicks!
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#55 » by Courtside » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:47 pm

illuminati666 wrote:
DrWood wrote:DeRozan is an elite mid-range shooter. And a pretty good facilitator.
Unfortunately, focusing on a mid-range game makes him a dinosaur.

I'm sure you just watched these finals. And you think the mid range is dead?

The midrange game as a piece to your attack when other options are well defended = good

The midrange game as your primary means of scoring because you're not that good at other things = bad

Demar has added to his game in SA, but he will never return to first option status on any team that is serious about contending. He's best as a Ginobili type 6th man, or maybe 3rd option starter and facilitor, but his inability to shoot 3s or defend at a high level make him a difficult fit for most teams.

It will not be the contendets that he goes to, unless he takes a major hit salary wise and embraces the 6th man role.

I think he ends up in NY. They have money and PT and medea attention, as well as enough of a fan and media base to maybe get him back into the AllStar conversation if his usage and simple counting stats are high.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#56 » by Danny1616 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:50 pm

3 years around 70-80m sounds about right for Derozan.

As for the fit, it's interesting.

Knicks, Denver, Atlanta, Dallas, Memphis are teams I would think would be the best 'fit.'
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Post#57 » by davidfr94 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:36 pm

He would be good with the Knicks Imo thibs could find a way to make it work defensively.

Not sure about the fit with randle and rj though

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using RealGM mobile app
Coach Carter
General Manager
And1: 6,261

Post#58 » by Coach Carter » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:02 pm

min vet with the bucks
In reference to our title winning year
Coach Carter wrote:This year is a wash and most of us know it.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#59 » by TheRealKaboom » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:55 pm

Back to Ontario.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,289

Post#60 » by Bornstellar » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:02 pm

I'd be fine if Spurs S&T him to LA for Kuzma, Harrell (if he opts in), and the 22nd pick. Or if Harrell opts out then KCP. Spurs can go out and offer Collins a max contract and hope their young guys take a big leap next year and they may have a solid team. Lakers get a third star and someone else who can create their own shot and facilitate besides LeBron. Win win for both sides

Return to The General Board