The Chris Paul Boost: Who Needs It?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Which team would have benefitted from having Chris Paul?

Minnesota Timberwolves
19%
Sacramento Kings
5%
Memphis Grizzlies
2%
Charlotte Hornets
2%
Detroit Pistons
2%
Washington Wizards
5%
New York Knicks
58%
Orlando Magic
7%

Total votes: 43

Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,076

The Chris Paul Boost: Who Needs It? 

Post#1 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Chris Paul may have lost in the biggest stage of his career, but his other qualities can't be ignored, one of which is being a culture changer. He gave the Clippers their first true taste of relevancy that they haven't had since their days in Buffalo as the Braves. He turned a lottery-bound Thunder team into a playoff contender. He took a lottery-bound Suns team that was on a 10-year playoff drought and helped break it, and for his efforts, was rewarded for the first time in his career an NBA Finals berth. This is Chris Paul's legacy: a Hall Of Fame point guard that can make any franchise decent and professional, and lead them to a potential they've never realized, no matter how dysfunctional they are.

Let's assume Paul has accepted his fate as a ringless player. Maybe he could spend the twilight of his career reshaping some very bad franchises. The Timberwolves are looking towards another bleak era. The Kings are now 15 years into their drought, with one more surpassing the Clippers. The Hornets of Charlotte have never been to a conference finals. The Wizards have a 42 year conference finals drought. The Knicks have been seeking the services of Paul as their relevant savior. There are teams out there who can sure use the Fairy Godmother powers of Paul to turn a pumpkin into a carriage, from a moribund franchise into a respectable one that is playoff ready.

Which team do you think needs Chris Paul the most? Don't answer Lakers, Nets or Bucks. Clippers, Pelicans, Rockets and Thunder are also out of the question, he's already been to them.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Re: The Chris Paul Boost: Who Needs It? 

Post#2 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 pm

He's 36, what makes you think he would even entertain the idea of playing for any of those teams with the exception of maybe the Knicks? He's ring chasing with whatever is left of his career.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,780

Post#3 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:43 pm

Paul will resign with the Suns, why wouldn’t he?
Go Raps!!
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,047

Post#4 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:45 pm

He shouldn't go to any of those teams unless he just wants to be in NY for other reasons. Philly is the answer imo if it's not resigning in PHX.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:49 pm

All those teams listed aside from NYK, Detroit and Orlando are set at PG. And those latter 2 teams are so far away from the playoffs right now that signing CP3 would be foolish.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,176

Post#6 » by Statlanta » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:05 pm

Sacramento even though that fit makes no sense. I want people to stop talking about the drought
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,314

Post#7 » by Scalabrine » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:05 pm

He should re-sign with the Suns but I think the team in biggest need of a player like Chris Paul is the Knicks. We were the 4 seed with Elfrid Payton as our starting point guard and getting 24 mpg. Replace that with CP3 or even an average starting point guard (ahem, Colin Sexton), and I think we're obviously a vastly improved team with a much higher ceiling.
Go Knicks!
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#8 » by IgorK » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:07 pm

He can help the Knicks tremendously, but Thibs will run him into the ground in training camp.
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,534

Post#9 » by Dominator83 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:20 pm

How are the Bulls not even an option in the poll? They're a perfect match. Lavine is pretty much Devin Booker, he had a great year in OKC with Donovan. Would make a huge difference
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,076

Post#10 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:55 pm

Dominater wrote:How are the Bulls not even an option in the poll? They're a perfect match. Lavine is pretty much Devin Booker, he had a great year in OKC with Donovan. Would make a huge difference

I didn't include the Bulls for the following reasons:

1. They've won titles, six of them, tied with Warriors at no. 3, just behind the legacy teams Lakers and Celtics
2. Bulls last playoff appearance was in 2017, losing in 1st round
3. Bulls may be third in playoff droughts, but it's only been four years; Hornets have five, and Kings top the list with 15
4. Bull's 23 year Finals drought is only 12th on the list; Kings (70), Hawks (61) and Clippers (51, also a "never been there") round out the top three *

* On a related note, Bulls are ahead of the New York Knicks by one year (23 years to 22), but the reason the Knicks are favored over the Bulls has to do with the catalogued dysfunction from their owner James Dolan. Paul has already been through dysfunction before with Donald Sterling (Clippers) and Robert Sarver (Suns). TL;DR, I don't know much about the Bulls history in detail.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,040

Post#11 » by Lalouie » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:58 pm

nyk has no guard but the team that benefits the most is the team with a good young pg (like sga @okc), so i think fox @sac,

cp3 would only be there for a year so he may as well teach a young pg how to fish going forward
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,227

Post#12 » by EArl » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:59 pm

The Lakers could use some.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,040

Post#13 » by Lalouie » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:10 pm

cp3 aint givin' up 40mil
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#14 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:11 pm

Lakers
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#15 » by MelosSoreWrist » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:18 pm

Scalabrine wrote:He should re-sign with the Suns but I think the team in biggest need of a player like Chris Paul is the Knicks. We were the 4 seed with Elfrid Payton as our starting point guard and getting 24 mpg. Replace that with CP3 or even an average starting point guard (ahem, Colin Sexton), and I think we're obviously a vastly improved team with a much higher ceiling.

Even with CP3, Knicks max out as a 4 seed. Paul doesnt raise the Knicks above Nets, Bucks and 76ers. Heck even to get back to 4th seed will be hard with the Hawks leveling up, Heat about to retool with a strong core.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#16 » by MelosSoreWrist » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:20 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:Paul will resign with the Suns, why wouldn’t he?

I wonder if Paul wants a 3 or 4 year extension if Sarver balks and he finds a team that will give it to him/.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,089

Post#17 » by art_tatum » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:37 pm

Sign and trade cp3 for ben simmons and seth curry. Win win

Paul-embiid-harris seem like a perfect unit.

Curry-Booker-Simmons-Ayton
Younger, get shooting from curry and passing from simmons. Ayton doesnt demand the ball like wmbiid so he will fit better inside with simmons. Booker can still be the go to scorer who doesnt have to worry about playmaking.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:44 pm

art_tatum wrote:Sign and trade cp3 for ben simmons and seth curry. Win win

Younger, get shooting from curry and passing from simmons. Ayton doesnt demand the ball like wmbiid so he will fit better inside with simmons. Booker can still be the go to scorer who doesnt have to worry about playmaking.

Paul for Simmons seems like a non starter but I think Paul snt, Bridges for Simmons, Maxey has legs
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,183

Post#19 » by realball » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Paul for Simmons seems like a non starter but I think Paul snt, Bridges for Simmons, Maxey has legs

That is insane. Simmons isn't worth Bridges let alone Paul.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:11 pm

realball wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

That is insane. Simmons isn't worth Bridges let alone Paul.

Well I’m sure a lot of casuals agree with you

Return to The General Board