Do you think CP3 is ranked above Steph Curry all time due to longevity?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Do you think CP3 is ranked above Steph Curry all time due to longevity? 

Post#1 » by Drygon » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:17 pm

Most people says KD is ahead of e.g. Giannis in all-time ranking due to better longevity.

And that's fair enough. However, do you also believe CP3 is definitely above Curry by same logic?

CP3 has been an All-NBA level player in late 2000s and still in his prime while Curry didn't reached that level until 2014.

---------------

CP3
11x All-Star
10x All-NBA team
9x NBA All-Defensive Team
0x Championships

Curry
7x All-Star
7x All-NBA team
3x Championship (low value)
yesh
Rookie
And1: 1,864

Re: Do you think CP3 is ranked above Steph Curry all time due to longevity? 

Post#2 » by yesh » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:20 pm

No.

LuffyFiasco
Sophomore
And1: 294

Post#3 » by LuffyFiasco » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:25 pm

Drygon wrote:Most people says KD is ahead of e.g. Giannis in all-time ranking due to better longevity.

And that's fair enough. However, do you also believe CP3 is definitely above Curry by same logic?

CP3 has been an All-NBA level player in late 2000s and still in his prime while Curry didn't reached that level until 2014.

---------------

CP3
11x All-Star
10x All-NBA team
0x Championships

Curry
7x All-Star
7x All-NBA team

Sorry, I know basketball is a team sport, but championships isn't low value on ranking/rating players. If we're only using counting stats then Russell Westbrook is the GOAT. Also All-Star and All-NBA's is just as arbitrary as championships because of the voting/subjectivity involved.
Drygon
Veteran

Post#4 » by Drygon » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:25 pm

yesh wrote:No.

Why?
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#5 » by CS707 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:26 pm

Why leave out MVPs?
Drygon
Veteran

Post#6 » by Drygon » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:29 pm

LuffyFiasco wrote:Sorry, I know basketball is a team sport, but Championships isn't low value on ranking/rating players. If we're only using counting stats then Russell Westbrook is the Goat. Also All-Star and All-NBA's is just as arbitrary as Championships because of the voting/subjectivity involved.

People do take rings into account whenever a legacies is discussed.

Many don't respect KD's 2 rings with GSW. I don't see any different with Curry who also happened to be KD's teammate.

gst8 wrote:Why leave out MVPs?

Giannis has more MVPs than KD, but most people thinks KD is clearly above Giannis in all-time ranking.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2105801
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#7 » by taikibansei » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:30 pm

If the OP had kept in such things as MVPs and scoring titles, plus continued to "value" championships, then there'd be no reason for this thread...and it never would have been.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#8 » by taikibansei » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:31 pm

Drygon wrote:
LuffyFiasco wrote:Sorry, I know basketball is a team sport, but Championships isn't low value on ranking/rating players. If we're only using counting stats then Russell Westbrook is the Goat. Also All-Star and All-NBA's is just as arbitrary as Championships because of the voting/subjectivity involved.

Many don't think KD is a top 10 player due to his 2 rings with 73-9 GSW.

But we're talking Curry in this thread, yes? Last I checked, Curry had three rings...one more than KD.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
LuffyFiasco
Sophomore

Post#9 » by LuffyFiasco » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:31 pm

Drygon wrote:

Many don't think KD is a top 10 player due to his 2 rings with 73-9 GSW.

Yup quality of championships should be considered. And those 2 rings are because of...you guessed it...Steph Curry's team.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,190

Post#10 » by kenwood3333 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:34 pm

Its like asking if Vince Carter should be ranked above Dwyane Wade
Drygon
Veteran

Post#11 » by Drygon » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:36 pm

taikibansei wrote:But we're talking Curry in this thread, yes? Last I checked, Curry had three rings...one more than KD.

I'm used KD as example to show how rings does matter for a player's legacy...

Not all Championships are made equal. Dirk's 1 ring or Giannis ring last night is more impressive than all of Curry 3 rings.

LuffyFiasco wrote:Yup quality of championships should be considered. And those 2 rings are because of...you guessed it...Steph Curry's team.

Curry was not the best player in 2017 &2018. He couldn't even with 2015 Finals MVP.
rtiff68
Veteran
And1: 3,709

Post#12 » by rtiff68 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:37 pm

Drygon wrote:

Many don't respect KD's 2 rings with GSW. I don't see any different with Curry who also happened to be KD's teammate.

Giannis has more MVPs than KD, but most people thinks KD is clearly above Giannis in all-time ranking.

So, by that logic all of Magic’s titles are low value. Where do you rank him?

Your OP was the standardized misrepresented comparison. You list only facts (curiously omitting some others), then just slip (low value) in there in parentheses like it’s as objective as their respective numbers of All NBA teams.

Take a lap.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,909

Post#13 » by thebigbird » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:37 pm

Paul isn’t close to Curry.
longtallbrad
Junior
And1: 257

Post#14 » by longtallbrad » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:37 pm

Paul is in the discussion for best 10 PGs of all time, but I have Curry comfortably above him in all-time player rankings. Curry did much, much more to change how the game is played.
C3H6N6O6
Analyst
And1: 3,898

Post#15 » by C3H6N6O6 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:38 pm

Curry is above CP3 because he is a better player compared to peak Chris Paul.
I don't need to take into account rings because I have seen both CP3 and Curry play at their peak and Curry is the better player. Almost every GM in the history would take peak Curry over peak CP3.
Curry has also played for a lot of years now and it is not like CP3 is close to him in terms of stats that his longevity comes into picture here when comparing them.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,134

Post#16 » by cpower » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:38 pm

4x losing a 2:0 lead in series(high value)
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#17 » by CS707 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:39 pm

Drygon wrote:

So you'll drawn that line with MVPs but not all star appearances, etc?

No, Paul isn't better than Curry in any context but this argument isn't even creative.
LuffyFiasco
Sophomore

Post#18 » by LuffyFiasco » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:40 pm

Drygon wrote:
taikibansei wrote:But we're talking Curry in this thread, yes? Last I checked, Curry had three rings...one more than KD.

I'm used KD as example to show how rings does matter for a player's legacy...

Not all Championships are made equal. Dirk's 1 ring or Giannis ring last night is more impressive than all of Curry 3 rings.

LuffyFiasco wrote:Yup quality of championships should be considered. And those 2 rings are because of...you guessed it...Steph Curry's team.

Curry was not the best player in 2017 &2018. He couldn't even with 2015 Finals MVP.

I don't know. I believe I could find a lot of people who would agree with me, that Steph Curry is the primary reason the warrior's system works. also again with the Finals MVP, Iguodala got it because he defended Lebron but that doesn't mean Curry wasn't the most important player on those championship runs.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#19 » by Pythagoras » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:40 pm

Drygon wrote:Most people says KD is ahead of e.g. Giannis in all-time ranking due to better longevity.

---------------

CP3
11x All-Star
10x All-NBA team
0x Championships

Curry
7x All-Star
7x All-NBA team

No because at their respective peaks I believe Steph was a far more dominant individual player than Paul. When surrounded by comparable talent Steph’s teams have consistently outperformed CP3’s by a considerable margin.
Numbers rule the universe.
Drygon
Veteran

Post#20 » by Drygon » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:41 pm

longtallbrad wrote:Paul is in the discussion for best 10 PGs of all time, but I have Curry comfortably above him in all-time player rankings. Curry did much, much more to change how the game is played.

A player's status in all-time ranking isn't decided on how someone changed how the game is played.

Otherwise, LeBron would be far behind Shaq, Curry, Wilt etc. with your reasoning.

Return to The General Board