NBA Draft - 2021 Draft Prospects

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Re: NBA Draft - 2021 Draft Prospects 

Post#221 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:38 pm

Catchall wrote:Aaaaannnnndddd just like that, Roko withdrew from the draft yesterday. So two guys I liked for the Jazz--Roko and Benedict Mathurin--withdrew in order to improve their draft position.

I'm getting the feeling that the Jazz are going to move off their pick at #30 one way or another. If the Jazz stay at #30, then Ayo, Butler and maybe Thor are candidates. I'm still intrigued by Vrenz Bleijenberg.

He probably was going to go in the 2nd round and is going to improve his position for next year. That definitely sucks.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#222 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:15 pm

Listening to Locke, it's likely the Jazz trade the pick because said player will not help us in the playoffs...
Ingles is cooked.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#223 » by sip » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:19 pm

GobertReport wrote:Listening to Locke, it's likely the Jazz trade the pick because said player will not help us in the playoffs...

Damn I hate Locke. He doesn't seem to have a clue that saying these types of things does nothing for the fan base even if we do trade the pick. There is no reason to dash our hopes already. Of course if this is what the front office is thinking then once again it proves that this front office is incapable of learning from prior mistakes. Such a stupid mindset if Zanik really thinks this way. Does anyone really believe that a guy like Immanuel Quickley, Desmond Bane or Malachi Flynn couldn't have helped us in last years playoffs. All 3 of those guys would have been useful last year and obviously key pieces long term. This year at 30 there are plenty of guys that have the potential to help us this year. Such of stupid and reckless mindset if this is true.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#224 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:26 pm

sip wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Listening to Locke, it's likely the Jazz trade the pick because said player will not help us in the playoffs...

Damn I hate Locke. He doesn't seem to have a clue that saying these types of things does nothing for the fan base even if we do trade the pick. There is no reason to dash our hopes already. Of course if this is what the front office is thinking then once again it proves that this front office is incapable of learning from prior mistakes. Such a stupid mindset if Zanik really thinks this way. Does anyone really believe that a guy like Immanuel Quickley, Desmond Bane or Malachi Flynn couldn't have helped us in last years playoffs. All 3 of those guys would have been useful last year and obviously key pieces long term. This year at 30 there are plenty of guys that have the potential to help us this year. Such of stupid and reckless mindset if this is true.

I agree, if you’re trading the pick it better be for a bigger trade than just a guy who will be on the bench.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#225 » by stitches » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:38 pm

That's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Well sure, if you keep trading all the picks or keep picking 3d string centers that won't see the floor for the next 2-3 years, sure... they won't help you.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#226 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:59 pm

sip wrote:

The irony is that Locke also mentioned the hope that Doke would be useful to the Jazz this next season/playoffs (uhh, isn't he technically a rookie?). Then, when going over the Hollinger BORD$ projections, mentioned that there are a ton of minimum centers as that is the way the leauge is going. So, why did the front office spend so much draft capital and cap space over the past 3 years on this backup position?!??
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#227 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:51 pm

Said this earlier, but there’s a good chance the pick is moved to dump Favors. These mistakes are costly and I expect Ryan Smith to be more willing to pay a first rounder than pay $90M total for Favors after luxury taxes.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#228 » by Catchall » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:16 am

There's such a veil of silence surrounding the Jazz's pre-draft process, it makes me think something really interesting is happening.

As for the 30th pick, there are several players in that range that could help the Jazz, including this upcoming season. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the Jazz trade back into the 2nd round, similar to what they did last year.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
stitches
RealGM

Post#229 » by stitches » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:45 pm

I don't think we have much ammunition for us to be working on something really interesting.

A contract dump(Favors?)...

A small trade up or trade down maybe...

The biggest thing I can see us doing is something like - one of Ingles/Bojan/Clarkson + 30 for jump into the teens or something of the sort... and that's only if we find a team that really likes one of them.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#230 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:51 pm

Catchall wrote:There's such a veil of silence surrounding the Jazz's pre-draft process, it makes me think something really interesting is happening.

As for the 30th pick, there are several players in that range that could help the Jazz, including this upcoming season. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the Jazz trade back into the 2nd round, similar to what they did last year.

There is a new sheriff in town, so maybe silence will be the new norm. Or, the Jazz or planning on trading #30 so there isn't much to talk about, or there is something brewing.

Locke did reference trading for seconds in the past and as a possible option this yeear in his last podcast, so maybe that is what they'll do.
stitches
RealGM

Post#231 » by stitches » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:00 pm

It's indeed worth pointing out that there is a severe change in publicly available information on the draft process of the Jazz this year. Is this Walt-Perrin related? Or DL/Zanik related? Or Ryan Smith? No idea... but fact is in previous years we knew every single player who was coming for pre-draft workouts because the team was giving out the lists of players in advance of their work outs and was making them available to the media for interviews after the work outs. Now there is nothing. Not a single official leak from the team about who's working out with the Jazz, who's visiting, who's getting interviews... nothing!

Somehow Tony Jones got his hands on the names of a few players who will be working out for the Jazz today:
https://theathletic.com/2722078/2021/07/22/jazz-set-to-get-close-look-at-key-draft-prospects-as-part-of-important-offseason/

Quentin Grimes, a 6-foot-5 guard out of Houston,
David Duke, a 6-5 point guard from Providence, and
Matt Mitchell, a 6-6 small forward from San Diego State

The workout is important because the Jazz have wanted to get a close look at Grimes. Other candidates at No. 30 for the Jazz, according to sources, include Bones Hyland of VCU, Ayo Dosunmu from Illinois, Miles McBride out of West Virginia, Herb Jones from Alabama, Joel Ayayi from Gonzaga, Josh Primo from Alabama and Jared Butler from Baylor.

The Jazz also like some no-brainers, such as Chris Duarte from Oregon and Trey Murphy from Virginia, but they aren’t expected to fall to No. 30.
stitches
RealGM

Post#232 » by stitches » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:04 pm

The Athletic is coming out with some good draft content. Here's Sam Vecenie on Jazz needs and options in the draft:
https://theathletic.com/2708653/2021/07/22/2021-nba-draft-sam-vecenie-breaks-down-the-biggest-needs-and-potential-options-for-all-30-teams/

Utah Jazz: Perimeter defenders with length and athleticism
The Jazz had the best record in the league for a reason this year: they’re about as complete a team as you’ll find. Having said that, the team’s downfall in the playoffs was its lack of athletic, perimeter defenders with length. Guys like Mike Conley, Joe Ingles and Donovan Mitchell are really solid team defenders, but once the drop scheme is broken in ball-screens, they don’t quite have the athleticism and recovery ability to fly around and scramble. They could use a guy or two like that in order to round out their team’s depth on the defensive end of the floor. It also might be worth keeping an eye on lead guard if the team thinks there is a chance Conley might actually depart in free agency.

Potential Options: Herb Jones, JT Thor, Kessler Edwards, Quentin Grimes
Catchall
RealGM

Post#233 » by Catchall » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:18 pm

If the Jazz have been looking at Isaiah Todd, then they should be looking at Filip Petrusev. It's possible that Todd will develop his mid-range and game off the dribble, but right now Petrusev is twice the player Todd is. Only question with Petrusev is his ability to guard in space. Otherwise, his talent level is roughly on par with Sabonis, imo. Petrusev is 6'11" / 225-lbs with a 7'3" wingspan.

Petrusev would be the same concept as Zach Collins at the 4/5. If he's a secondary rim protector, a secondary rebounder and a secondary initiator, it might work.

;t=1s
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#234 » by Catchall » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:19 pm

Kings are reportedly shopping the #9 pick for a veteran player. They're getting tired of losing.

That's Moody/Garuba territory.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#235 » by Catchall » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:21 pm

stitches wrote:It's indeed worth pointing out that there is a severe change in publicly available information on the draft process of the Jazz this year. Is this Walt-Perrin related? Or DL/Zanik related? Or Ryan Smith? No idea... but fact is in previous years we knew every single player who was coming for pre-draft workouts because the team was giving out the lists of players in advance of their work outs and was making them available to the media for interviews after the work outs. Now there is nothing. Not a single official leak from the team about who's working out with the Jazz, who's visiting, who's getting interviews... nothing!

Somehow Tony Jones got his hands on the names of a few players who will be working out for the Jazz today:
https://theathletic.com/2722078/2021/07/22/jazz-set-to-get-close-look-at-key-draft-prospects-as-part-of-important-offseason/

Quentin Grimes, a 6-foot-5 guard out of Houston,
David Duke, a 6-5 point guard from Providence, and
Matt Mitchell, a 6-6 small forward from San Diego State

The workout is important because the Jazz have wanted to get a close look at Grimes. Other candidates at No. 30 for the Jazz, according to sources, include Bones Hyland of VCU, Ayo Dosunmu from Illinois, Miles McBride out of West Virginia, Herb Jones from Alabama, Joel Ayayi from Gonzaga, Josh Primo from Alabama and Jared Butler from Baylor.

The Jazz also like some no-brainers, such as Chris Duarte from Oregon and Trey Murphy from Virginia, but they aren’t expected to fall to No. 30.

The strength of this draft in the late 1st round is its quality guard depth. Ayo, JayGup, Bones, Primo, Butler and Mann are all 1st-round caliber prospects, imo. Maybe McBride as well, if you want a Gary Harris type.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#236 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:31 pm

Ayo and Grimes are my current draft crushes in our range. Getting both by trading back into the early 2nd round would be amazing.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#237 » by AingesBurner » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:58 pm

The Jazz's secret squirrel attitude this draft reminds me of the Mitchell draft, the Jazz were pretty quiet during that draft.
Ingles is cooked.
Gert42
Senior
And1: 207

Post#238 » by Gert42 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:55 am

I think more and more we are moving from that pick for multiple 2nds. I could see a deal with Detroit, OKC, or New Orleans happening. Maybe even add on a 3rd 2nd in the future. I'm not sure that's the best route, but I wonder if teams that want to consolidate their later picks and the Jazz can get small price tags on their cap by taking on 2nd Rounders.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#239 » by sip » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:25 pm

I really like the fit of Greg Brown long term on our team. He has the potential to be an ideal fit with Gobert at the 4.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#240 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:29 pm

sip wrote:I really like the fit of Greg Brown long term on our team. He has the potential to be an ideal fit with Gobert at the 4.

I like Brown a lot too.
Ingles is cooked.

Return to Utah Jazz