Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Re: Trade Talk (Part Seven) 

Post#641 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:51 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

How about 3 way b/w kings, 76ers and min?

We get Barnes and #9 from kings. 76ers get Buddy Hield, Rubio and 1st from us. Kings get Simmons and Malik Beasley. Everybody gets to fill their holes and fix their weakness.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#642 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:12 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

We get Barnes and #9 from kings. 76ers get Buddy Hield, Rubio and 1st from us. Kings get Simmons and Malik Beasley. Everybody gets to fill their holes and fix their weakness.

This draft is SOOOO flat, I personally have no intrest in a pick in the #9 range, really wouldn't want one until about #20 because of salary, but still, I would be just as happy or more to get into the 2nd. I would rather have Beasley than Barnes. I think better offers would be out there.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#643 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:18 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Why would the 76ers want to downgrade from Simmons to Hield? How does that make them any better now or in the future?

I don't want Barnes and the #9 pick isn't too exciting in this draft. After top 5 this draft falls off a cliff.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#644 » by jpatrick » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:26 pm

Zero chance 76ers trade Simmons for that package.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#645 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:54 pm

jpatrick wrote:Zero chance 76ers trade Simmons for that package.

Maybe Hield and Beasley and our 1st go to Philly instead. Barnes+9 to us. Rubio, Simmons to Kings. We upgrade at pf with Barnes. Can flip#9 for another quality starter.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,247

Post#646 » by Baseline81 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#647 » by Dewey » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:03 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

2nd round pick? That's bogus ... Most everyone is down on Culver, but I keep him over any of Okogie, Layman, Hernangomez.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#648 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:11 pm

Dewey wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

2nd round pick? That's bogus ... Most everyone is down on Culver, but I keep him over any of Okogie, Layman, Hernangomez.

I think I only keep him over Hernangomez. The contract is the big key. He's making almost $6.5 million this season. Okogie and Layman are each only around $4 million.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#649 » by jpatrick » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:14 pm

Culver, Juancho, and Layman are small but negative value contracts. I doubt they can trade Culver straight into cap space. I think they’ll have to take an expiring back to get a second round pick...if they are lucky. Kid needs a fresh start in the worst way.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,935

Post#650 » by wolves_89 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:59 pm

I'd wait until after Summer league to even consider dumping Culver. If he looks like the guy from training camp last season (and the first handful of games), I'd hold on to him and see how the upcoming training camp goes. The Wolves basically have up to the deadline for picking up his fourth rookie year contract to make a salary dump type deal. Since his value can't really go any lower there shouldn't be any rush to move him unless he's part of a bigger deal.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,867

Post#651 » by Nick K » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:21 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Bad deal for us. Really bad. How about we trade Beasley for the #9 pick? Most #9's turn out average and many don't make it past a few years.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,867

Post#652 » by Nick K » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:25 pm

Dewey wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Right on Dewey. You have to give him one more year. If we throw him away for a 2nd rounder then watch him go and blow up for someone else.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,008

Post#653 » by shrink » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:33 pm

Dewey wrote:2nd round pick? That's bogus ... Most everyone is down on Culver, but I keep him over any of Okogie, Layman, Hernangomez.

I suspect he has late 1st round value. This draft isn’t that impressive, and if Culver can fix his head/shooting, his upside is much higher than anyone in the ‘20’s. He isn’t really too expensive, and his deal is short. It’s unlikely he becomes a good player, but the risk is low and the return could be high.

The other issue is that dealing Culver for a second rounder would be a very public admission of failure for Rosas. It’s always easier for a GM to say, “not yet..!” rather than admit failure. GM’s need to appear smart to keep their jobs. I think it’s more likely Rosas would try to trade him for a deal he could sell to the public, like a swap for a different big name, underperforming played (like Marvin Bagley Jr) or hidden away as matching salary in a larger deal.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#654 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:53 pm

shrink wrote:
Dewey wrote:2nd round pick? That's bogus ... Most everyone is down on Culver, but I keep him over any of Okogie, Layman, Hernangomez.

I suspect he has late 1st round value. This draft isn’t that impressive, and if Culver can fix his head/shooting, his upside is much higher than anyone in the ‘20’s. He isn’t really too expensive, and his deal is short. It’s unlikely he becomes a good player, but the risk is low and the return could be high.

The other issue is that dealing Culver for a second rounder would be a very public admission of failure for Rosas. It’s always easier for a GM to say, “not yet..!” rather than admit failure. GM’s need to appear smart to keep their jobs. I think it’s more likely Rosas would try to trade him for a deal he could sell to the public, like a swap for a different big name, underperforming played (like Marvin Bagley Jr) or hidden away as matching salary in a larger deal.

Highly doubtful.

If we can get someone to absorb him with an attached 2nd I would be happy. Either way I think he is gone next year (not picking up his option). If Rosas has managerial courage he moves on, that is looking smart, smart people admit mistakes and don't compound them. People with the attitude you outlined get fired.

Obviously, try and get a 1st or 2nd or as filler, I don't see the first two though.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#655 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:07 pm

shrink wrote:

Most teams in the back half of the first round are veteran teams with higher cap numbers, that may not want to pay $6.4 million as opposed to say $2 million for a rookie when you could argue Culver needs as much development.

I think your Bagley idea may have some merit, but I just don't see first round value right now for Culver.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#656 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:37 pm

Dewey wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I'd probably trade a second to get rid of Culver at this point. He's that bad. Needs to spend a season in europe or gleague. Okogie is a much more important player for us.

Okogies shoots nearly 80% from the line. If he can shoot 35% from 3 he becomes a better than average starter. Our Raja Bell/Bruce Bowen.

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#657 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:49 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I'd probably trade a second to get rid of Culver at this point. He's that bad. Needs to spend a season in europe or gleague. Okogie is a much more important player for us.

Okogies shoots nearly 80% from the line. If he can shoot 35% from 3 he becomes a better than average starter. Our Raja Bell/Bruce Bowen.

We should drop Okogie like a bad habit as well.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,008

Post#658 » by shrink » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:51 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:

Most teams in the back half of the first round are veteran teams with higher cap numbers, that may not want to pay $6.4 million as opposed to say $2 million for a rookie when you could argue Culver needs as much development.

I think your Bagley idea may have some merit, but I just don't see first round value right now for Culver.

Maybe, but does a veteran team want to fill a roster spot with a rookie who won’t play, or pay more for a guy that has some experience, and is at least an adequate defender against NBA players? Maybe the cost/benefit is different for different teams.

I can even see a pathway for those teams that lean towards saving money. They trade a late first for OKC’s #34 and #36 for two cheaper players, and OKC (who could care less about a year of Culver’s salary), swaps that late 1st to consolidate to a better prospect. I also like OKC as a destination because it’s only a 5 hour drive to Lubbock, and I think being close to his family improves his chances of fixing his brain.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#659 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:54 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

Who guards Devin Booker in the playoffs next year?

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#660 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

Who guards Devin Booker in the playoffs next year?

He is an overrated defender, replaceable and not worth his contract. So I don't care, your question doesn't really make a point because it could be anyone on the team now or aquired later.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves