ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1461 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

It had become apparent during this past season that Stevens had lost touch with the team, making the coaching change perhaps welcomed by some players. Stevens interviewed a large group of candidates, several of them men of color, and Tatum said it’s important to be able to connect and bond closely with the head coach.

“I can easily relate to sometime like [Ime] in different areas, someone of color, someone who played in the league,” he said. “Someone closer in age. The conversations are naturally going to be different. That doesn’t make it better or worse, just different.”

Tatum understands he’s the face of the franchise and is fully prepared to accept all the responsibility and scrutiny. At age 23, Tatum has already reached two All-Star Games and amassed games of 53, 60, and 50 points in a six-week span in April and May.

He wants to be one of the greats.

“It’s what I always wanted,” he said. “No matter how old or young I was, I never looked at myself as one of the best young players in the league. I never like when people say that. I feel like I’m one of the best players. That’s what I envisioned when I was younger. That’s what I worked for. I never wanted to just get to the NBA and be in the league, I wanted to be one of the best players.”
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1462 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:36 am

Read on Twitter

Tatum still not "getting it" on a few fundamental levels, including that straight stats don't make for the best players, harping on personal goals in a team sport is selfish, and whining publicly about a personal honor not granted is unseemly.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#1463 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:40 pm

Yeah not a good look. It’s early so he can still grow into it but he seems pretty far from being that franchise guy that can lead a team to a title. Individual accolades are just too important to him. Put Smart’s personality into Tatum’s skill and you got that guy.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,676

Post#1464 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:01 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:Yeah not a good look. It’s early so he can still grow into it but he seems pretty far from being that franchise guy that can lead a team to a title. Individual accolades are just too important to him. Put Smart’s personality into Tatum’s skill and you got that guy.

Individual accolades are important to almost any sports star.

JT is fine.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1465 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:09 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:Yeah not a good look. It’s early so he can still grow into it but he seems pretty far from being that franchise guy that can lead a team to a title. Individual accolades are just too important to him. Put Smart’s personality into Tatum’s skill and you got that guy.

Wow. Congrats you’ve won horrible take of the week thus far. Good news, it’s only Tuesday and the bar is low here but this one u just posted ; ooooooooooooooooofffffffff
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1466 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:12 pm

Can we talk about how Jayson Tatum is already a better dad than Larry Bird ever was? I love Larry, but he’s a terrible father. Shame on that dude.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#1467 » by Homerclease » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:49 pm

Smart has gone on record many times saying he wants DPOY and first team all defense. What’s the difference?
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1468 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Homerclease wrote:

Smart has gone on record many times saying he wants DPOY and first team all defense. What’s the difference?

Because people buy false narratives, based on their own feelings.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#1469 » by playa-hater » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:26 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Can we talk about how Jayson Tatum is already a better dad than Larry Bird ever was? I love Larry, but he’s a terrible father. Shame on that dude.

wow.. where did this come from ? :o
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1470 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:27 pm

playa-hater wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Can we talk about how Jayson Tatum is already a better dad than Larry Bird ever was? I love Larry, but he’s a terrible father. Shame on that dude.

wow.. where did this come from ? :o

A father’s heart.
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,817

Post#1471 » by TommyPointGawd » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:17 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

Very good point
I apologize for the things I have said in the past. :cry:
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1472 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:35 pm

TommyPointGawd wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Smart has gone on record many times saying he wants DPOY and first team all defense. What’s the difference?

Very good point

;)

We are all guilty of it, at times.
FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 530

Post#1473 » by FrodoFraggins » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:53 pm

I mean he was asked a question and answered it honestly. Anybody would have been upset with how he was screwed because he was considered for two positions and lost even though he got more votes than Kyrie.

Smart isn't the guy I want Tatum to emulate. His BBIQ is low at times and he is too thin skinned.

His answers regarding having a coach he can relate to only confirm that Brad lost the team. I still think Kyrie helped shape his thoughts in that regard though. but I've seen zero confirmation on that.
DelMonte West
Veteran
And1: 660

Post#1474 » by DelMonte West » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:10 am

Less athletic but more competitive and reliable Tracy McGrady.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1475 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:10 pm

Whatever JT's ceiling is, Kyle Kuzma apparently believes he shares it:

https://lakersdaily.com/nba-insider-says-kyle-kuzma-sees-himself-on-the-same-level-as-jayson-tatum/
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#1476 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:38 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:

Wow. Congrats you’ve won horrible take of the week thus far. Good news, it’s only Tuesday and the bar is low here but this one u just posted ; ooooooooooooooooofffffffff

:roll: Or maybe I just don’t drink the kool aid like most. This is a pretty shared narrative by the local media as well, what has he done so far to show that he can lead a team? He’s constantly talking about individual achievements and has yet to show any real emotion out on the court that we’ve seen from past leaders. Would KG, Bird, Pierce…..have stayed in Brooklyn to party with them after a gentleman’s sweep? Talent and drive are two different things, it’s not crazy to question where the kids head is at.
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#1477 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:49 am

The Comedian wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Very good point

;)

Smart had already had the rep of being a team guy/doing anything to win games. There’s also a difference between saying you want to be the best defender vs Tatum’s argument of “I increased all my stats from last year”. I just think it’s worrisome, you seldom hear him talking about team accolades or making the team better. Part of it might just be the game today, players aren’t made the same today. But the way he talks…having his face on a bag of chips seemed more important than winning a title.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1478 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:55 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:
Very good point

;)

Smart had already had the rep of being a team guy/doing anything to win games. There’s also a difference between saying you want to be the best defender vs Tatum’s argument of “I increased all my stats from last year”. I just think it’s worrisome, you seldom hear him talking about team accolades or making the team better. Part of it might just be the game today, players aren’t made the same today. But the way he talks…having his face on a bag of chips seemed more important than winning a title.

From the exact same article that your original post was based on. Do these quotes mean less than the ones about his stats? I can find literally hundreds examples of quotes like this. I think trying to read into body language is pretty useless, especially for a guy who stays relatively even keeled.

“That’s the goal [to make each other better],” Tatum said. “Both highly motivated and driven guys that want to be the best they can be. We just really want to win. We both really care about winning at our core. That’s the start of it. We’re going to try our best to figure it out.”

A completely connected Tatum and Brown make the Celtics a championship contender. Tatum said his primary goal is to win a title.

“That’s always been the goal, to get there and win one,” he said. “We always talk about all the banners that we have and seeing them every day at the Garden or at practice. That’s all that really matters, especially in Boston, is getting another championship.”
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1479 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:05 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

:roll: Or maybe I just don’t drink the kool aid like most. This is a pretty shared narrative by the local media as well, what has he done so far to show that he can lead a team? He’s constantly talking about individual achievements and has yet to show any real emotion out on the court that we’ve seen from past leaders. Would KG, Bird, Pierce…..have stayed in Brooklyn to party with them after a gentleman’s sweep? Talent and drive are two different things, it’s not crazy to question where the kids head is at.

Almost didn’t reply because you referenced “local media” quite possibly some of the the biggest dopes in media in general but ok.
You wanna talk drive? the kid works out all offseason long and has improved his game and his body tremendously every year. came in the league with questions about his defense and has shown he can be an elite defender. respected by his peers at the highest level because of his offensive repertoire and ability to take over games.

Constantly talking about individual achievements? the article where he talks about all nba mentions the team, it’s lack of success and what he needs to do better to help the team but you probably didn’t wanna bring that up to ruin the false narrative. He always mentions wanting to win a ring - that’s a team achievement last time I checked.

His demeanor and passion on the court is the biggest cop out lame bs excuse- because he doesn’t scream and yell like kg and how old men want him to display “emotion” Somehow means he’s not a fiery competitor? tell that to Brooklyn when he dropped a 50 piece on their ass in the playoffs and single handedly pulled off a win- our only of the series against a healthy KD,kyrie & harden after he had 50 in a play in to get us into the playoffs.

Get on his shot selection or complaining to the refs- and you have chance but Tatum is absolutely a franchise player and we better hope he stays here for a long time.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#1480 » by Homerclease » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:13 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:
Very good point

;)

Talk to me when Tatum misses 3 weeks in the regular season by cutting his hand punching a picture frame over an internet hooker.

Return to Boston Celtics