Bradley Beal Hopes To Reach Decision On Future Over Weekend

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Bradley Beal Hopes To Reach Decision On Future Over Weekend 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:27 pm

Bradley Beal has been "seriously mulling" his future with the Washington Wizards in recent weeks and "has been very much on the fence" about whether to continue with the team, sources tell Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Beal is using the weekend in hopes of arriving upon a decision during the upcoming week, which would make a trade easier due to the fluidity of draft week.

Beal has the ability to become a free agent next offseason due to a $36.4 million player option after the 2021-22 campaign. Beal is eligible for a four-year, $182 million extension this summer with the Wizards — or the 10-year veteran max extension next summer, totaling five years and $235 million.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Re: Bradley Beal Hopes To Reach Decision On Future Over Weekend 

Post#2 » by NatiboyB » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:30 pm

Umm if it takes that long just let him go
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,292

Post#3 » by GunnerWRX » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:04 pm

>>> Beal is eligible for a four-year, $182 million extension this summer with the Wizards — or the 10-year veteran max extension next summer, totaling five years and $235 million.

Beal is now 28. His new contract/extension kicks in when he is 30. His new team will be paying ~$45m/yr between his age of 30-34. I cannot think of any other 6-3 undersized slashing guard who didn't decline rapidly starting age 29-30, except Wade. I can think of Kemba, Steve Francis, Arenas, Marbury, Monta Ellis whose game all dropped off a cliff when they were 29-30.

Washington is trying to cash out on Beal. His new team will get maybe 1-2 good years from him and then regret re-signing/extending him for $45m a year for 4-5 years.

It will be a disaster if a team empties the war chest to trade for a 28-yo Beal.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:02 pm

with so much tied into Russ and Beal they can do very little to improve their roster ...he has to leave imo
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#5 » by objectivefan » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:30 am

Bradley Beal is spending the weekend discussing with his Agent

- if I am traded will I still qualify for the "10-year veteran max extension next summer, totaling five years and $235 million."?

If yes.. then trade me to a perennial winning team
if no.. then I love the Wizard and want to finish my career here. I love the fans.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#6 » by MitchB3 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:21 am

So no one is going to notice that this comes right after he's playing with Team USA.... If this isn't tampering at this point the NBA should just get rid of that rule.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,136

Post#7 » by Darthlukey » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:27 am

MitchB3 wrote:So no one is going to notice that this comes right after he's playing with Team USA.... If this isn't tampering at this point the NBA should just get rid of that rule.

Yup, player to player tampering is bull. But its impossible to police
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#8 » by MitchB3 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:29 am

Darthlukey wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:So no one is going to notice that this comes right after he's playing with Team USA.... If this isn't tampering at this point the NBA should just get rid of that rule.

I mean at some point the league needs to tighten this up.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#9 » by Darthlukey » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:35 am

MitchB3 wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:

How can you stop two (or more) friends talking privately though? Ive always thought the best approach is to make it so damn lucrative for a player to stay at their incumbent team (lets say unlimited salary for 1 player per team, but only limited impact on the salary cap) that true top tier elite players wont be 'stolen' so often.
CanesHeatFins
Senior
And1: 650

Post#10 » by CanesHeatFins » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:27 am

Only underachieving businesses who are probably underserving their employees, concern themselves with tampering.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,376

Post#11 » by Billl » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:47 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:

It's not tampering. Players can talk to each other all they want. It's not like players can offer each other a contract or agree to a trade. It's the teams that have to follow tampering rules.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#12 » by puja21 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Billl wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:Yup, player to player tampering is bull. But its impossible to police

It's not tampering. Players can talk to each other all they want. It's not like players can offer each other a contract or agree to a trade. It's the teams that have to follow tampering rules.

That's wrong, it actually is tampering

Source:
https://www.si.com/nba/2019/09/23/adam-silver-nba-tampering-compliance-salary-cap-stricter-rules

Articles 35 and 35A of the league constitution leave no doubt that an owner, general manager, coach, scout or player can’t try to persuade a person employed by another team to join the tampering team.
A player who tampers can be suspended for as many games as the commissioner deems appropriate.

It's just very hard to enforce and to my knowledge never has been (against players)
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,376

Post#13 » by Billl » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:34 pm

puja21 wrote:
Billl wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

Source:
https://www.si.com/nba/2019/09/23/adam-silver-nba-tampering-compliance-salary-cap-stricter-rules

Articles 35 and 35A of the league constitution leave no doubt that an owner, general manager, coach, scout or player can’t try to persuade a person employed by another team to join the tampering team.
A player who tampers can be suspended for as many games as the commissioner deems appropriate.

It's just very hard to enforce and to my knowledge never has been (against players)

Nope. Read the actual clause. "Any Player who, directly or indirectly, entices, induces, persuades
or attempts to entice, induce, or persuade any Player, Coach, Trainer,
General Manager or any other person who is under contract to any other
Exhibit A A-25
Member of the Association to enter into negotiations for or relating to his
services or negotiates or contracts for such services shall, on being charged
with such tampering"

It's only tampering if you are getting the player to negotiate a contract with management. Players can encourage each other to ask for a trade.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#14 » by Darthlukey » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:11 pm

puja21 wrote:
Billl wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

Source:

I wasn't arguing it's not. I'm just saying 2 dudes talking can't be controlled
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#15 » by puja21 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:33 am

Billl wrote:
puja21 wrote:
Billl wrote:

Source:

Nope. Read the actual clause. "Any Player who, directly or indirectly, entices, induces, persuades
or attempts to entice, induce, or persuade any Player, Coach, Trainer,
General Manager or any other person who is under contract to any other
Exhibit A A-25
Member of the Association to enter into negotiations for or relating to his
services or negotiates or contracts for such services shall, on being charged
with such tampering"

It's only tampering if you are getting the player to negotiate a contract with management. Players can encourage each other to ask for a trade.

Consider that the wording is the same for 35E (non players) and yet both of these were ruled tampering:

Mike Malone: [Chris Paul] would “look pretty good in a Sacramento Kings uniform.”

Magic Johnson on Paul George: “We’re going to say ‘hi’ because we know each other. You just can't say, 'Hey, I want you come to the Lakers,' even though I'm going to be wink-winking.” Johnson then complemented his answer by offering an exaggerated wink. He then joked, “You know what that means, right?”

I'd imagine there is plenty of leeway in the phrasing, "indirectly" "attempts to persuade" etc...

Also note that "enter negotiations related to his services" doesn't mean negotiate the terms of a new contract (these are players under contract already). Forcing a trade like Paul George did at the behest of Leonard would qualify too.

It's just hasn't been in the league's best interest to have the commissioner pursue this. No one wants league interference (see Chris Paul veto)

Return to Wiretap Discussion