7%

Total votes: 29

CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Re: Conley's next contract 

Post#61 » by CAE15 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:42 am

babyjax13 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Rumor is that the Knicks are offering Toppin, Knox and one of their 2021 FRP for Sexton. Jazz can't sniff that offer.

However, good news if you want the Jazz to re-sign Conley as the Knicks and the Mavs have been the two teams mentioned as desiring to sign him. Re-signing Conley wouldn't be the worst thing in the world given the fact that this team had the best record in the NBA regular season and might have gone to the Finals if he were healthy, and the Jazz' options in free agency are very limited due to their cap situation.

I think we can easily beat it. Toppin had a terrible rookie year and his upside looks like maybe Bobby Portis 2.0. Knox sucks, absolutely sucks. So really it's the 19th pick, and the roll of a dice on a guy who does not look that promising?

e.g. I think this offer beats it:

Utah trades: Bojan Bogdanovic, Udoka Azubuike, Miye Oni, 30, 2026 UTA 1st (lottery protected 2 yrs, then 2 2nds)
Utah receives: Collin Sexton, Kyle Kuzma

LA Lakers trade: Kyle Kuzma, 22
LA Lakers receive: Bojan Bogdanovic

Cavs trade: Collin Sexton
Cavs receive: Udoka Azubuike, Miye Oni, 22, 30, 2026 UTA 1st (lottery protected 2 yrs, then 2 2nds)

LA is probably the wrong third team. You'd need someone who wants Bojan but not Sexton, but something of that ilk I think is (a) possible, and (b) makes sense if we want to/have to move on from Mike. I'm a grad student at Alabama now, I know people who have worked in the tutoring center and raved about Sexton's work ethic, and I know one of the score keepers for Alabama basketball who also loved him. I think he's an incredibly likeable guy, and I'd hate to have to gameplan against Sexton+Mitchell+Clarkson's individual creation prowess + a bunch of floor spacing + Rudy's roll game.
Obi barely got to play under Thibs. But he's got ideal stretch 4 written all over him. That Jazz offer isn't particularly close. Knox is also just 21 plenty of time for him to turn it around. Jazz offer does nothing for them. Dok, Oni and Late picks? Hell they don't even end up with Kuzma in your version. Knicks offer is significantly more intriguing for them.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#62 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:01 am

CAE15 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Rumor is that the Knicks are offering Toppin, Knox and one of their 2021 FRP for Sexton. Jazz can't sniff that offer.

However, good news if you want the Jazz to re-sign Conley as the Knicks and the Mavs have been the two teams mentioned as desiring to sign him. Re-signing Conley wouldn't be the worst thing in the world given the fact that this team had the best record in the NBA regular season and might have gone to the Finals if he were healthy, and the Jazz' options in free agency are very limited due to their cap situation.

I think we can easily beat it. Toppin had a terrible rookie year and his upside looks like maybe Bobby Portis 2.0. Knox sucks, absolutely sucks. So really it's the 19th pick, and the roll of a dice on a guy who does not look that promising?

e.g. I think this offer beats it:

Utah trades: Bojan Bogdanovic, Udoka Azubuike, Miye Oni, 30, 2026 UTA 1st (lottery protected 2 yrs, then 2 2nds)
Utah receives: Collin Sexton, Kyle Kuzma

LA Lakers trade: Kyle Kuzma, 22
LA Lakers receive: Bojan Bogdanovic

Cavs trade: Collin Sexton
Cavs receive: Udoka Azubuike, Miye Oni, 22, 30, 2026 UTA 1st (lottery protected 2 yrs, then 2 2nds)

LA is probably the wrong third team. You'd need someone who wants Bojan but not Sexton, but something of that ilk I think is (a) possible, and (b) makes sense if we want to/have to move on from Mike. I'm a grad student at Alabama now, I know people who have worked in the tutoring center and raved about Sexton's work ethic, and I know one of the score keepers for Alabama basketball who also loved him. I think he's an incredibly likeable guy, and I'd hate to have to gameplan against Sexton+Mitchell+Clarkson's individual creation prowess + a bunch of floor spacing + Rudy's roll game.
Obi barely got to play under Thibs. But he's got ideal stretch 4 written all over him. That Jazz offer isn't particularly close. Knox is also just 21 plenty of time for him to turn it around. Jazz offer does nothing for them. Dok, Oni and Late picks? Hell they don't even end up with Kuzma in your version. Knicks offer is significantly more intriguing for them.

Knox is possibly the worst player in the league and Topin had a god awful rookie year and doesn't look like he can/will outperform his contract. Maybe Cleveland is a believer in his potential, but he's got really weird biomechanical issues and is a horrid defender. He also wasn't super great on offense, and this is a guy who was billed as "NBA ready." Plus, I don't think Kuzma has much value on his contract, if Cleveland wanted him I'd much rather not take him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#63 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:08 pm

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#64 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:29 pm

Another possible scenario is that the Jazz offer Conley an overmarket 1 yr deal, such as $30M. This would help the Jazz avoid the repeater tax if he is signed to a multiple year deal.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#65 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:00 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Another possible scenario is that the Jazz offer Conley an overmarket 1 yr deal, such as $30M. This would help the Jazz avoid the repeater tax if he is signed to a multiple year deal.

It could very well be a wink wink deal. I could also see us signing him and maybe flipping him at the deadline.
Ingles is cooked.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#66 » by dr0welf » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:59 pm

What about a sign and trade of Conley to the LAL for Kuzma and Caldwell-Pope? Lakers get a proven PG to run with them. We get something for Conley and can shop Bojan and Ingles in another trade.

Personally I think Ingles is slowing down a bit and was really struggling in the Clippers series. I would like to see him retire and join on as a assistant coach. That would help keep his locker room presence and his experience to train the guys.
CAE15
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by CAE15 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:21 am

dr0welf wrote:What about a sign and trade of Conley to the LAL for Kuzma and Caldwell-Pope? Lakers get a proven PG to run with them. We get something for Conley and can shop Bojan and Ingles in another trade.

Personally I think Ingles is slowing down a bit and was really struggling in the Clippers series. I would like to see him retire and join on as a assistant coach. That would help keep his locker room presence and his experience to train the guys.
Really don't want to make LA the title favorite. Especially when we could likely get that package for Bogey
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#68 » by dr0welf » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:17 pm

CAE15 wrote:
dr0welf wrote:What about a sign and trade of Conley to the LAL for Kuzma and Caldwell-Pope? Lakers get a proven PG to run with them. We get something for Conley and can shop Bojan and Ingles in another trade.

Really don't want to make LA the title favorite. Especially when we could likely get that package for Bogey

too much age too much injury potential. Trying to stay healthy throughout the playoffs with them each getting older will be a trick for them so they might be a title favorite, but I doubt they would win it all. But if we get Caldwell-Pope and Kuzma and then trade Bogey in another package to get us more needs to round out the team.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#69 » by MTJazzv3 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:05 am

Who is Utah gonna roll out at PG if Conley isn't in the picture? This is the most intriguing question for me. Love Conley a lot but his hamstring issues aren't magically going away and as we saw they are persistent. For Conley money and luxury tax involved the Jazz are way better off finding an above average passing PG who can get Rudy more involved, actually guard a wing, etc.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#70 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:43 pm

MTJazzv3 wrote:Who is Utah gonna roll out at PG if Conley isn't in the picture? This is the most intriguing question for me. Love Conley a lot but his hamstring issues aren't magically going away and as we saw they are persistent. For Conley money and luxury tax involved the Jazz are way better off finding an above average passing PG who can get Rudy more involved, actually guard a wing, etc.

I'd run Mitchell at PG if Conley walks. But then you'll need to look at SG and that would be JC. Kids already won 6th man and is more than worthy to start.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#71 » by D Rog » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:57 pm

Conley seems like a nice guy and when healthy has been a positive for the Jazz. I think he is a solid locker room presence and has a calming influence on the team. That said, IMO a new big contract for Conley and keeping him with the jazz will pretty much kill the Jazz future. He is too unreliable health wise and that is not going to improve. I think you try to find a sign and trade scenario and get the best you can. Get players that are closer in age to DM and Rudy. If that is with the Lakers I don't give a damn. They will just have an older LBJ and an older Conley. They may even win a title together in the next year or two but I don't see Conley being the key to a Laker title and I definitely don't see him being a key to a Jazz title. I didn't like the trade for Conley 2+ years ago due to injury issues and age difference with DM. I still don't like it.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#72 » by dr0welf » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:15 am

D Rog wrote:Conley seems like a nice guy and when healthy has been a positive for the Jazz. I think he is a solid locker room presence and has a calming influence on the team. That said, IMO a new big contract for Conley and keeping him with the jazz will pretty much kill the Jazz future. He is too unreliable health wise and that is not going to improve. I think you try to find a sign and trade scenario and get the best you can. Get players that are closer in age to DM and Rudy. If that is with the Lakers I don't give a damn. They will just have an older LBJ and an older Conley. They may even win a title together in the next year or two but I don't see Conley being the key to a Laker title and I definitely don't see him being a key to a Jazz title. I didn't like the trade for Conley 2+ years ago due to injury issues and age difference with DM. I still don't like it.

That's fair. I think Conley's experience is a huge benefit to Donovan's growth though. If Conley is to stick with the Jazz he will have to sign for less per year but maybe get more years on the contract. Like a 4 yr/60 Mil. He can probably leave in a sign or trade or free agency and get more per year but the contract might be the same amount just spread out. Conley brings a good presence to the court and the team plays more fluid when he is out there. But we also need a better backup PG because of his health issues and that has to play into the contract we are willing to give him.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:50 pm

https://heatnation.com/rumors/report-miami-heat-interested-in-signing-spencer-dinwiddie-if-they-lose-out-on-kyle-lowry/

Does this article imply that Conley wouldn't be available, or am I reading too much into the Heat going from Lowry immediately to Dinwiddie?
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#74 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:52 pm

Three years, $75 million seems like an overpay given Conley's age, missed games and recurring hamstring problems, but what do I know. I haven't noticed any great interest reported for Conley from other teams, though perhaps some of the teams that are rumuored to be interested in Lowry might switch to pursuing Conley once Lowry's destination is settled.

Crossing my fingers that both Conley and Butler can stay healthy! Go Jazz!

Read on Twitter
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#75 » by red4hf » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:47 pm

Gotta love the fact that the new ownership is willing to spend...... Now if only we'd know how to actually spend that money well.......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#76 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:02 pm

If feels like the Jazz are bidding against themselves again.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#77 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:21 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:If feels like the Jazz are bidding against themselves again.

We have been known to do that.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#78 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:58 pm

With the Butler pick I’m going to guess Conley only plays 45-50 games during the season….
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#79 » by babyjax13 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:18 am

This seems like a huge overpay, I'd rather move off of him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
CAE15
Assistant Coach

Post#80 » by CAE15 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:24 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:If feels like the Jazz are bidding against themselves again.
You don't rock the boat and try to lowball a huge difference maker on your team. Who cares that it's maybe 5 million more per year than we'd prefer. It's not like we could spend that 5 million.

Return to Utah Jazz