ImageImageImageImage

What do we give to get Ben Simmons?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 996

What do we give to get Ben Simmons? 

Post#1 » by davey_wavy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:47 pm

He is clearly done in Philadelphia, Its just a matter of a trade during the draft or right training camp begins. Do we have the assets to grab him?

I love Ben, I know he choked in the playoffs but it seems Orlando is good at helping players re-find that lost confidence (i.e Kelle)

If the top 4 go as anticipated, would you give 5 + 8 and whatever fill needed to snag him? As long as the fill doesnt include JI or Kelle

Just curious on what the board thinks of having Ben in the Royal Blue.... he did his HS ball not too far from us
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 508

Re: What do we give to get Ben Simmons? 

Post#2 » by Ralof » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:59 pm

davey_wavy wrote:He is clearly done in Philadelphia, Its just a matter of a trade during the draft or right training camp begins. Do we have the assets to grab him?

I love Ben, I know he choked in the playoffs but it seems Orlando is good at helping players re-find that lost confidence (i.e Kelle)

If the top 4 go as anticipated, would you give 5 + 8 and whatever fill needed to snag him? As long as the fill doesnt include JI or Kelle

Just curious on what the board thinks of having Ben in the Royal Blue.... he did his HS ball not too far from us

no at all,we do not need him or any other veteran player rn ,even all-stars(beal,siakam,ecc.)

the moment we'd trade Vuc we'd choose to rebuild with young players,so now we are gonna rebuild with young players,simple as that
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#3 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:00 pm

I think there is no way we even kick the tires on this one while we have Markelle here. That would ruin us with free agents for a long time I would guess.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#4 » by fendilim » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:05 pm

Fultz
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#5 » by purpleswordfish » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:09 pm

The last thing one of the worst shooting teams in the league needs is another guy that can't shoot.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#6 » by MagicMatic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:46 pm

No.
BDill012
Senior
And1: 273

Post#7 » by BDill012 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:05 pm

I don't think this is the time for a guy on a big contract like his. There are too many other needs right now in asset accumulation mode and clearing space to make moves later.

Maybe if the team was closer then for me the conversation would center more on his basketball abilities but I can't even get to that part of the conversation at this time.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#8 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:18 pm

Simmons just turned 25 last week, so he does fit in the age window for us.

With that said, unless we're ditching Isaac because we think he can never truly stay healthy or his his ceiling is short, Ben in Orlando doesn't make sense.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,095

Post#9 » by tiderulz » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:44 pm

davey_wavy wrote:He is clearly done in Philadelphia, Its just a matter of a trade during the draft or right training camp begins. Do we have the assets to grab him?

what has Markelle done here yet? still cant shoot from outside. i guess he got a contract extension, but we havent exactly resurrected a career or anything.

I wouldnt trade either pick for Simmons. he is a max deal contract for a non max-deal player. He literally has not improved in 4 years in the league. good role player, but paid about twice what he should be.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#10 » by drsd » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:47 pm

fendilim wrote:Fultz

This would be karmic !

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#11 » by RookieStar » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:45 pm

Yeah... we are developing young guys and you want someone like Ben who has crappy work ethic to influence them?

Someone who said something to the lines of " I don't need to work on my shooting because all my teammates will score when I passs to them " ( hey if someone can give the exact quote much appreciated).

That would really be good for a young guy like RJ who probably will think " Well our vet is earning 150m something and he doesn't work on his shooting that much, why do I have to do so when I can dribble and slash so well already "
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#12 » by Skin » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:34 pm

Jonathon Simmons and a couple of no good picks.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#13 » by OrlandoMagic » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:45 pm

A bag of Doritos. And only Nacho cheese for that matter
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#14 » by Bensational » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:10 pm

If he's going cheap enough, he's a great buy-low prospect. I wouldn't move 5, 8, future picks, Isaac, RJ and maybe Okeke for him, but everything else would be on the table.

Bamba, WCJ, Fultz, Cole, Ross, Harris. If Philly wanted to move Simmons for a package of those guys I wouldn't hesitate to say no. He's much better than all of them, even without a shot. I'd be concerned about his attitude and work ethic around a young team, but maybe he'll get his head straight on a team with less pressure around him? Though I don't think Philly considers moving him any or all of those guys.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#15 » by PrimeThyme » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:43 pm

Bensational wrote:If he's going cheap enough, he's a great buy-low prospect. I wouldn't move 5, 8, future picks, Isaac, RJ and maybe Okeke for him, but everything else would be on the table.

Bamba, WCJ, Fultz, Cole, Ross, Harris. If Philly wanted to move Simmons for a package of those guys I wouldn't hesitate to say no. He's much better than all of them, even without a shot. I'd be concerned about his attitude and work ethic around a young team, but maybe he'll get his head straight on a team with less pressure around him? Though I don't think Philly considers moving him any or all of those guys.

I really don't think we're a team who can realistically get into play for him without including multiple picks (or young players) in a 3 team deal.

From Philly's perspective, they are in a complete win now situation and need to get elite veteran talent to put next to Embiid. AG/Vuc were our most valuable veteran assets and we already moved them in deals. I don't think Philly would have had any interest anyways.

A team like Portland who is on the verge of a rebuild and could use Simmons as a foundational piece seems like a much more likely partner. Mccollum or Lillard would be on the table, && would pair nicely next to Embiid. In a Lillard deal, Id anticipate a 3rd team coming into the picture as well.

Picks, RJ Hampton, Okeke, and young assets like that aren't going to help Philly unless they can use them in a trade for one of the veteran names on the market. Sure, they could trade with us and then make an additional trade, but it just seems like an unnecessary step with there already being objectively better trade partners out there.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#16 » by Bensational » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:35 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
Bensational wrote:If he's going cheap enough, he's a great buy-low prospect. I wouldn't move 5, 8, future picks, Isaac, RJ and maybe Okeke for him, but everything else would be on the table.

I really don't think we're a team who can realistically get into play for him without including multiple picks (or young players) in a 3 team deal.

From Philly's perspective, they are in a complete win now situation and need to get elite veteran talent to put next to Embiid. AG/Vuc were our most valuable veteran assets and we already moved them in deals. I don't think Philly would have had any interest anyways.

A team like Portland who is on the verge of a rebuild and could use Simmons as a foundational piece seems like a much more likely partner. Mccollum or Lillard would be on the table, && would pair nicely next to Embiid. In a Lillard deal, Id anticipate a 3rd team coming into the picture as well.

Picks, RJ Hampton, Okeke, and young assets like that aren't going to help Philly unless they can use them in a trade for one of the veteran names on the market. Sure, they could trade with us and then make an additional trade, but it just seems like an unnecessary step with there already being objectively better trade partners out there.

I agree, I don’t see our players being answers to what they’re after, but maybe in the right 3 team deal? I could see Ross and Okeke being wanted by them, but they probably also want more name power in a deal. Maybe a 3 team s&t with Toronto for Lowry, where Toronto don’t want Simmons (or want to give up any more value than Lowry), where we send Bamba/WCJ + Fultz to Toronto, they send Lowry to Philly along with Ross, and we get Simmons? I might be convinced to swap Fultz for that CHI pick if needed.

But I’m sure other teams will have easier more straight forward deals, like you mentioned. Portland seems the most obvious fit for sure. Maybe a team like Indiana would swap LeVert for him?

I think Simmons would just be a good player to have who could easily make up the value he’s lost recently. Since we’re rebuilding and losing anyway taking the risk doesn’t bother me in the slightest vs the potential upside.
CLosP
Sophomore
And1: 307

Post#17 » by CLosP » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:16 am

Lol I was going to say I’ll do Fultz and Gary Harris but that’s really about it haha. We should stay away from this one and keep our draft picks.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#18 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:01 am

It's kind a hilarous that people hate on Ben and want nothing to do with him, but like some Magic players who are like their wish-versions.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#19 » by drsd » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:43 am

CLosP wrote:

Lol I was going to say I’ll do Fultz and Gary Harris but that’s really about it haha. We should stay away from this one and keep our draft picks.

Fultz and Harris for SImmons is probably a good deal for both teams.

Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#20 » by Flannerz » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:55 am

Haven't we had enough players who can't shoot over the last 6/7 years? :)

Return to Orlando Magic