ImageImageImageImage

What do we give to get Ben Simmons?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Re: What do we give to get Ben Simmons? 

Post#41 » by swarlesbarkley » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:39 pm

RookieStar wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:Do people here think the 76ers beat the Bucks with Fultz playing in place of Simmons?

Nope. Becasue as much as we harp on Simmons, his defense is INSANE. He has the size and built to match up with GA. The only Easter Team with players that I can see that has the defensive repertoire that matches up with GA is probably Simmons, JI and JA. Every other big for me is too short/small or too slow. Siakam and Collins.. well GA already destroyed them so I didn't include them.

Oh true true. I got messed up and forgot that ATL bounced PHI - I think PHI beats ATL if Fultz takes Simmons' minutes. Not sure about vs MKE - you're right in that they were probably winning the whole thing regardless.
CLosP
Sophomore
And1: 307

Post#42 » by CLosP » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:21 pm

drsd wrote:
CLosP wrote:
fendilim wrote:Fultz

Lol I was going to say I’ll do Fultz and Gary Harris but that’s really about it haha. We should stay away from this one and keep our draft picks.

Fultz and Harris for SImmons is probably a good deal for both teams.

That’s a terrible trade for Philly lol. I’m getting draft compensation and also a player that can help me now. I don’t trust Fultz tbh it’s hard to gauge how he’ll be and Gary Harris isn’t a difference maker.

For Orlando trading for Ben I feel like will cause problems for the team. He already seems to not care about much as it is he isn’t going to want to play here. He would definitely be the best talent we have by far but we wouldn’t have much else around him. There’s just a lot of variables to consider especially as this is most likely going to be a slow rebuild.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#43 » by drsd » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:34 pm

CLosP wrote:That’s a terrible trade for Philly lol. I’m getting draft compensation and also a player that can help me now. I don’t trust Fultz tbh it’s hard to gauge how he’ll be and Gary Harris isn’t a difference maker.

For Orlando trading for Ben I feel like will cause problems for the team. He already seems to not care about much as it is he isn’t going to want to play here. He would definitely be the best talent we have by far but we wouldn’t have much else around him. There’s just a lot of variables to consider especially as this is most likely going to be a slow rebuild.

There is a minus-percentage change Philly trades back for Fultz. But conceptually, Fultz and Harris for SImmons probably makes the Sixers better.

Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,527

Post#44 » by Rainwater » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:50 am

Lol, at Harris and Fultz for Simmons is a good trade. Do people not realize that Simmons is an All-Star? And I do realize that Simmons played poorly in the playoffs but he is better than anything that magic have currently.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#45 » by thelead » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:05 am

Simmons is not getting traded. Morey is looking to sell his C class Benz for a Bugatti price tag.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,769

Post#46 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:06 am

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#47 » by Howard Mass » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:04 am

I would not trade for him at all.

No need to get a big contract for a player who has to be begged to take a jump shot.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
anothermagicfan
Junior
And1: 232

Post#48 » by anothermagicfan » Wed Sep 1, 2021 9:55 pm

The Simmons wants out story is back in the news again and another interesting story recently was cavaliers trying to buyout loves contract.
I came up with this.
76ers get- t-ross, Darius garland, a 2 million filler, and a cavs first round pick

Cavaliers get-gary Harris expiring contract and simmons

Magic get-kevin love(cap space when it matters and some depth and shooting at the 4), a couple of fillers and a first round pick from Cleveland

I don't think Simmons makes sense in orlando so this is more of a way to get involved as a 3rd team and generate more assets. I don't think klove is reliable enough for his money for a straight up Simmons swap for Philly.

Philly gets a new pg in garland and a vet second unit leader in Ross to make a finals push and a first round pick.

Cavs get more evenly distributed with sexton, Simmons, and Mobley.

Magic take on money and make the deal work for a pick.

Thoughts?
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#49 » by p0peye » Wed Sep 1, 2021 10:59 pm

I would take Ben, he is a buy-low young All Star at the moment, which is always a good deal. Only thing off the table is Suggs, Philly can take their choice of combination of players in the deal. Picks are bit more difficult conversation, but probably something could be agreed with appropriate protection.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#50 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:01 am

p0peye wrote:I would take Ben, he is a buy-low young All Star at the moment, which is always a good deal. Only thing off the table is Suggs, Philly can take their choice of combination of players in the deal. Picks are bit more difficult conversation, but probably something could be agreed with appropriate protection.

This is incorrect.

At this moment, he is NOT a “buy-low” anything.

The 76ers are standing firm on a very high price. Simmons and his camp are trying to force them off that by demanding a trade and threatening a holdout. Will it work? Time will tell. Until then, he’s a very expensive target.
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,172

Post#51 » by Kent » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:57 am

anothermagicfan wrote:The Simmons wants out story is back in the news again and another interesting story recently was cavaliers trying to buyout loves contract.
I came up with this.
76ers get- t-ross, Darius garland, a 2 million filler, and a cavs first round pick

Magic get-kevin love(cap space when it matters and some depth and shooting at the 4), a couple of fillers and a first round pick from Cleveland

I don't think Simmons makes sense in orlando so this is more of a way to get involved as a 3rd team and generate more assets. I don't think klove is reliable enough for his money for a straight up Simmons swap for Philly.

Philly gets a new pg in garland and a vet second unit leader in Ross to make a finals push and a first round pick.

Thoughts?

Your logic is sound, but for me it's a non-starter for the impact on chemistry.

I just don't want a Kevin Love around our guys.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
HayKee
Senior
And1: 949

Post#52 » by HayKee » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:34 am

IMO regardless of whether or not Orlando should try to acquire him there's really no way this deal gets done unless it involves multiple teams. Sixers have a 27 year old prime Embiid with massive longevity concerns, there is literally nothing on the Magic roster that Philly would want that would help them win a title in the next few years.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#53 » by basketballRob » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:34 am

No way I pay Love 60m for 2 years. The Cavs are trying to pay him 50m to just go away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#54 » by pepe1991 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 7:24 am

What does "buy low" for Simmons means? Allstar + 2 picks :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM

Post#55 » by drsd » Thu Sep 2, 2021 12:08 pm

anothermagicfan wrote:The Simmons wants out story is back in the news again and another interesting story recently was cavaliers trying to buyout loves contract.
I came up with this.

Thoughts?

If I understand this correctly, it is Ross and Harris for Love and a Cavs first as the Magic considerations. Of course management makes that trade.

drsd
RealGM

Post#56 » by drsd » Thu Sep 2, 2021 12:09 pm

Kent wrote:Your logic is sound, but for me it's a non-starter for the impact on chemistry.

I just don't want a Kevin Love around our guys.

The Cavs would need to overpay another player if Love is shipped. It is not really a Cleveland priority to ship Love as the team is far from going after a major FA.

jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#57 » by jonbob17 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 1:36 pm

As silly as I thought this thread was a month ago, IF the price were to fall on Simmons, I could totally see us buying Simmons. What would a deal look like? That is the tough part. I think we would have to facilitate a three team (or more) deal.

Magic send JI, Terrence Ross, Cole Anthony, WCJ, 2024 first. Get Ben Simmons and Philly filler, Neto Winston gafford
Philly sends Simmons Maxey. filler and two firsts. Gets Beal and Ross
Washington sends Beal, Neto, Winston, gafford. Gets JI, Cole, Maxey, WCJ, and three firsts

I love JI, i truly believe he could be a top 15-25 player in the league. That's getting to be a really big could though after the injuries a year + ago. Washington would probably have to love him nearly as much as I do, for this to work.

For me, Simmons would change the whole build of this team. Suggs probably perfect point guard, doesn't have to be elite at handle or passing. I'd play Simmons as a point forward/center, then surround with shooters Okeke/Wagner, and maybe try to get a Miles Turner or another stretch 5 that is good on D (gulp...Bamba). If not a stretch 5 then a rim runner you can camp out outside and use for rolls and lobs.

So basically 1 guard, 3 forwards and a stretch-5 or a rim runner you can keep out of the paint.

Seems like we would have A LOT of flexibility both with the line up and financially.

Simmons is not as bad as everyone is making him out to be. It is recency bias. He had an awful series against Atlanta, which he just cratered. The prior round he was 15/10/9. He got played off the court vs Atlanta and completely lost his confidence, and he has been exposed. He will have to get better.
BUT he is very good during the regular season, when teams don't have time to scheme players off the court. There is plenty of value in having a dominant player for 82 games a year.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#58 » by pepe1991 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:35 pm

76ers simply have far better teams to make trades than Orlando, especially because how little good players Magic can offer.

Pacers send Brogdon and Levert, 76ers send Simmons, picks and Maxey. Both teams win especially if they can find third team to take away Turner for Pacers guard upgrade.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
p0peye
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by p0peye » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:53 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
p0peye wrote:I would take Ben, he is a buy-low young All Star at the moment, which is always a good deal. Only thing off the table is Suggs, Philly can take their choice of combination of players in the deal. Picks are bit more difficult conversation, but probably something could be agreed with appropriate protection.

This is incorrect.

At this moment, he is NOT a “buy-low” anything.

The 76ers are standing firm on a very high price. Simmons and his camp are trying to force them off that by demanding a trade and threatening a holdout. Will it work? Time will tell. Until then, he’s a very expensive target.

I stand corrected. He appears to become buy-low young All Star. Until then, we don't have a horse in this race for Suggs should be off the table.
p0peye
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by p0peye » Thu Sep 2, 2021 3:01 pm

pepe1991 wrote:76ers simply have far better teams to make trades than Orlando, especially because how little good players Magic can offer.

Pacers send Brogdon and Levert, 76ers send Simmons, picks and Maxey. Both teams win especially if they can find third team to take away Turner for Pacers guard upgrade.

Entirely true, but contrary to what at some point seemed to be popular opinion in this thread, this deal should in no way be blocked by our lack of interest into 'another player who can't shoot'.

The way I see it, it is ironical as we might be only team in the league with agenda of assembling a complete roster composed of non-shooters. Clearing the deck by bundling all of them into one non-shooter alone would be a reason to do this deal, not to speak about an young All Star who has elite playmaking and defense.

Return to Orlando Magic