Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,772

Re: 2021 College Basketball / Draft THREAD 

Post#121 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:06 am

codydaze wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think we will trade down and take my guy. Hopefully we pick up an additional late first as well, pray Garuba falls or take a guy like JT Thor.

Chad Ford is still fairly reputable, though since he left ESPN not sure how exactly plugged in he is. Zach Harper I heard thinks we're looking at Sengun if Wagner isn't available. Lot of different opinions. The constant I see is Franz
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#122 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:40 am

rpa wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:Great assessment as always.

And it leads me to something I have been thinking abiut this draft all along.

After the pretty clear top six (somebody will drop and somebody will move up like always) there is a run from 7 - 22 that really starts to be about feel, fits and needs but not a single one of this group doesn’t have some moderate to serious question marks/holes in their game.

I have a sense that this is a great draft to either trade up for a specific target (either 3 for Mobley or 6 for Barnes), or just trade down four to seven spots for some significant additional assets.

I do agree about fit, feel, and needs, though. Had the Kings not picked Haliburton last year I'd be all aboard the Giddey train. Hell, there's part of me that thinks the Kings should pick him and play him as part of a 3-headed monster of ball handlers (bad idea, I know). But since we got Hali (yay) it appears we're more focused on wings. Makes sense--we've really only got 1 capable wing on the roster right now and it's arguably the most broadly valuable position in the game.

Thats the age old question, on whether you should be picking for fit and needs
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,509

Post#123 » by codydaze » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:58 pm

rpa wrote:
codydaze wrote:
Read on Twitter

Barf. Murphy's likely trajectory is 2nd or 3rd player off the bench. He's definitely not a starting caliber player. At 9 you need to be drafting a starter. If the Kings were picking, say, 20th then sure Murphy makes sense.

I'm higher on Trey than you seem to be but I agree he's a reach at 9. That's why I've been saying we're going to trade down.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: The TRADE Thread 2021 

Post#124 » by City of Trees » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:52 pm

So I've had the Disney+ bundle with Hulu and ESPN since Disney + launched. I'm today's years old when I found out that bundle gives you access to the ESPN + insider articles and mock drafts using my Hulu credentials! Lol. So I might as well share Givony's latest mock draft posted today. Wagner goes 7 to G.S.

Kings pick: Moses Moody

The Kings were said to be fans of Franz Wagner, who is off the board in this scenario, as well as Alperen Sengun, who is still available and reportedly had an outstanding workout in their building. If Sacramento isn't able to clear enough cap room to offer Richaun Holmes the money he needs to return, Sengun could be firmly in play. Moody also seems to have plenty of fans around the NBA, with his draft range appearing to start around No. 7 and likely falling no further than the Warriors' second pick at the end of the lottery. Moody is one of the youngest players in the draft, fits the long-armed, sweet-shooting "3 and D" profile every team is looking for, and is coming off a productive freshman season in the SEC. He has the size and length needed to play in the same backcourt as De'Aaron Fox and Tyrese Haliburton, especially as he gets stronger. The Kings are being aggressive in trade talks and there is a chance they won't be making this pick, or their second-round pick at No. 39, as they have some contracts on their books they may look to unload in Marvin Bagley and Buddy Hield.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#125 » by rpa » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:19 pm

City of Trees wrote:So I've had the Disney+ bundle with Hulu and ESPN since Disney + launched. I'm today's years old when I found out that bundle gives you access to the ESPN + insider articles and mock drafts using my Hulu credentials! Lol. So I might as well share Givony's latest mock draft posted today. Wagner goes 7 to G.S.

The Kings were said to be fans of Franz Wagner, who is off the board in this scenario, as well as Alperen Sengun, who is still available and reportedly had an outstanding workout in their building. If Sacramento isn't able to clear enough cap room to offer Richaun Holmes the money he needs to return, Sengun could be firmly in play. Moody also seems to have plenty of fans around the NBA, with his draft range appearing to start around No. 7 and likely falling no further than the Warriors' second pick at the end of the lottery. Moody is one of the youngest players in the draft, fits the long-armed, sweet-shooting "3 and D" profile every team is looking for, and is coming off a productive freshman season in the SEC. He has the size and length needed to play in the same backcourt as De'Aaron Fox and Tyrese Haliburton, especially as he gets stronger. The Kings are being aggressive in trade talks and there is a chance they won't be making this pick, or their second-round pick at No. 39, as they have some contracts on their books they may look to unload in Marvin Bagley and Buddy Hield.

I said this on either the T&T or General board, but I both like Sengun and am terrified of him at the same time.

Like: players as productive as him in pro leagues at such a young age almost never bust and usually turn into highly productive players. He also could be a really good contrast with Fox in that his skillset is more built for the halfcourt game where the Kings have struggled. In essence you're hoping his ceiling is a more modern Kevin Love where he's able to rebound/pass well enough to start fast breaks, serve as a trailer on the break who can hit 3s, and help with his passing and post game in the half court.

Don't like: He doesn't appear to have the size/athleticism to be a defensive cornerstone which IMO turns his best case into what I call a "Trap Big". Trap Bigs are, as the name suggests, a trap. They put up (offensive) numbers worthy of big second contracts, but their lack of interest/help defense means their impact isn't commensurate with the contract (and the team would've been better off paying 1/3 to 1/2 that contract on a rim runner and using the remainder on wings).
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#126 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:06 pm

rpa wrote:
City of Trees wrote:So I've had the Disney+ bundle with Hulu and ESPN since Disney + launched. I'm today's years old when I found out that bundle gives you access to the ESPN + insider articles and mock drafts using my Hulu credentials! Lol. So I might as well share Givony's latest mock draft posted today. Wagner goes 7 to G.S.

I said this on either the T&T or General board, but I both like Sengun and am terrified of him at the same time.

Like: players as productive as him in pro leagues at such a young age almost never bust and usually turn into highly productive players. He also could be a really good contrast with Fox in that his skillset is more built for the halfcourt game where the Kings have struggled. In essence you're hoping his ceiling is a more modern Kevin Love where he's able to rebound/pass well enough to start fast breaks, serve as a trailer on the break who can hit 3s, and help with his passing and post game in the half court.

Don't like: He doesn't appear to have the size/athleticism to be a defensive cornerstone which IMO turns his best case into what I call a "Trap Big". Trap Bigs are, as the name suggests, a trap. They put up (offensive) numbers worthy of big second contracts, but their lack of interest/help defense means their impact isn't commensurate with the contract (and the team would've been better off paying 1/3 to 1/2 that contract on a rim runner and using the remainder on wings).

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I share the love/hate on Alperen. In the draft, I think its acceptable to take swings at upside, should the Kings like Sengun, as role players are just more attainable in FA/trades. or a reasonable facsimile might be. I wont poo poo the Franz pick, as he has BBIQ, can do a number of things well on the court as well as play as a big. But, it would be hard for me personally to support Moody, for instance.

Interesting that the Kings interest can boil down to the Holmes situation, should Franz be off the board (should we listen to those reports). The Kings, per the Athletic, are trying to dump Bagley to keep Holmes. That might shut the Sengun door. Still, the Kings would have to believe even if they were offering a solid contract that Holmes wouldn't sign with, say, Dallas who will reportedly pursue
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#127 » by rpa » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:12 pm

BoogieTime wrote:As I mentioned previously in this thread, I share the love/hate on Alperen. In the draft, I think its acceptable to take swings at upside, as role players are just more attainable in FA/trades, or a reasonable facsimile. I wont poo poo the Franz pick, as he has BBIQ, can do a number of things well on the court as well as play as a big. But, it would be hard for me personally to support Moody, for instance.

Interesting that the Kings interest can boil down to the Holmes situation, should Franz be off the board (should we listen to those reports). The Kings, per the Athletic, are trying to dump Bagley to keep Holmes. That might shut the Sengun door. Still, the Kings would have to believe even if they were offering a solid contract that Holmes wouldn't sign with, say, Dallas who will reportedly pursue

I could see the Kings thinking a Holmes/Sengun pairing could theoretically work. Sengun's FT% portends him being able to extend out to the 3pt line and he's also a tad undersized for the 5 (I think he's like 6'9 or 6'10).
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#128 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:41 pm

codydaze wrote:
rpa wrote:
codydaze wrote:
Read on Twitter

Barf. Murphy's likely trajectory is 2nd or 3rd player off the bench. He's definitely not a starting caliber player. At 9 you need to be drafting a starter. If the Kings were picking, say, 20th then sure Murphy makes sense.

I'm higher on Trey than you seem to be but I agree he's a reach at 9. That's why I've been saying we're going to trade down.

I have a string feel of trade down too.

And I think that’s where they will be looking to free up cap to cover Richaun or future moves or just a second trade.

It’s an easy way to do it and you can almost always catch a poor drafting team (Charlotte immediately comes to mind) who is willing to trade their pick especially if they are enamored of a player pegged to go higher.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#129 » by codydaze » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:00 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
rpa wrote:

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I share the love/hate on Alperen. In the draft, I think its acceptable to take swings at upside, should the Kings like Sengun, as role players are just more attainable in FA/trades. or a reasonable facsimile might be. I wont poo poo the Franz pick, as he has BBIQ, can do a number of things well on the court as well as play as a big. But, it would be hard for me personally to support Moody, for instance.

FWIW, Marc Stein was on a podcast today and speculated that he expects we will re-sign Holmes. I think we'll be pretty active in the trade market over the next week and definitely before the draft to free up some money for him. It's possible if Trez opts in and is part of the deal for Buddy that we flip him somewhere else though, Trez and Holmes are too redundant to both be in the rotation.

Read on Twitter
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#130 » by BoogieTime » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:57 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/kings/source-kings-showing-interest-josh-giddey-nba-draft-prospect

Source: Kings showing interest in draft prospect Giddey

A league source confirmed to NBC Sports California that the Kings interviewed Australian point guard Josh Giddey in the buildup to the draft and even made a trip to Las Vegas to see him work out with the Australian national team.

Cant read too much into it as they have seemingly done a relentless search, but nice to know he's an option :wink:
dozencousins
Analyst
And1: 135

Post#131 » by dozencousins » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:31 am

As of now the Kings are msot likey trading the pick . As of now I would say about 70% chance of us trading the pick !
dozencousins
Analyst
And1: 135

Post#132 » by dozencousins » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:51 am

If Kings keep their pick It looks like Mitchell but Kings also considering Moody & Sengun
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#133 » by codydaze » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:01 am

Hate this pick. Not a Davion Mitchell fan at all.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#134 » by City of Trees » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:03 am

I love Mitchell. But what is the vision here? Tyrese at SF?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#135 » by kalenclayton » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:08 am

I hate this pick so much. I don’t hate Mitchell, but he was not the BPA or a need.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#136 » by BoogieTime » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:08 am

Great pick. If we disregard position I have as much confidence in Davions floor as anyone.

From my vantage I’ve got Monte so far. Don’t even hate letting Bogdan go for nothing

Does this open up the Fox ideas? Probably not but never know
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#137 » by codydaze » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:10 am

BoogieTime wrote:Great pick. If we disregard position I have as much confidence in Davions floor as anyone.

From my vantage I’ve got Monte so far. Don’t even hate letting Bogdan go for nothing

Does this open up the Fox ideas? Probably not but never know

I think his run on a great Baylor team really overrated him. I had him in the 20s range, I think his shooting was a fluke and while he's a good defender I think he's going to really struggle offensively.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#138 » by City of Trees » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:19 am

Im not mad at the pick. I'm interested in rotations but Mitchell is a DOG.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#139 » by BoogieTime » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:21 am

I’m going to be honest, I’m a davion fan, and part of me would have no problem now moving Fox for a positionless Simmons

That’s some dogs Davion/Hali/Simmons etc

So half the idea is complete
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#140 » by City of Trees » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:23 am

I didn't talk about Mitchell much because I believed the Kings had no business using the pick on a PG.

I absolutely love Mitchell.

The problem is how does it all come together in a rotation.

Return to Sacramento Kings